PDA

View Full Version : Flyers win 3-0!

Chris R
11-30-2007, 09:39 PM
Article on the home page. Wow that was fun!

BeckysTXA
11-30-2007, 09:56 PM
Game 2 was a little slow, but otherwise we dominated the match. Gotta love Robynne Green! All year, match after match she comes in and just does a great job. Again tonight -- got a couple blocks and got to serve out the match starting with an ace to give us point # 29. And Yvonne has REALLY helped us the last two matches. Keep it up girlfriend! All the rest gave their usual excellent performance.

MSU will be bigger and more physical -- but we've gone up against that before and prevailed. UK gave them nothing so you really couldn't get a feel for what MSU can or can't do. UK simply had no serve reception, back row D or any ball control. That will not be the case against UD. I do expect it to be a good match -- possibly even 5 games -- but I'm thinking 4. Dayton's front line plays well against big, strong hitters. They have basically shut people down all year. I expect the same tomorrow night.

Congrats! Enjoy! and get ready for another big win Saturday night!

Dirty Sanchez
11-30-2007, 10:12 PM
I think we all knew the sweep was in the cards....congrats V-ball team. Beat MSU

UDBrian
11-30-2007, 11:03 PM
Kudos to Lipscomb for playing hard, after game 1 they played very good D. They were just outmatched height wise.

#10 and #11 on Michigan State are both good outside hitters. They prefer to hit hard angle but they will go line once in a while. MSU is a good blocking team, it will not be nearly as easy.

For someone who went by themselves I had pretty good company. On one side was a woman who's daughter had played on Erin's club team, beside her was a 2008 commit. The women's bball team was on the other side, so I was able to talk some bball tonight at the same time.

Another thing that I forgot to mention is that #11 on MSU has a very good, very flat floater serve.

allflyernamesaregone
12-01-2007, 12:02 AM
A majority of the football team was also there while being led in cheers by Coach Kelly.

Chris R
12-01-2007, 12:05 AM
Some notes from tonight:
Great crowd and great turnout from the Red Scare.
Lipscomb was severely undersized and at the net they had trouble slowing down UDs kill attempts. To their credit though, the Bisons (yes, it really is Bisons) won the three longest rallies of the match. They were competing against a team at another level of athleticism however and looking on both sides of the net, it looked kind of like the freshmen squad against the varsity. Sarah Snider is a pretty good player and they tried to milk her skills as much as they could. She had over 50 kill attempts which is just astronomical.
You could see that when needed, Dayton could put it in another gear and rip off 4 out of 6 points when necessary. Its a real luxury and its a step UD took about four years ago. It wasnt long ago that UD was a lot like Lipscomb in a lot of respects. Maybe a tad more athletic, but mostly winning matches with execution and gameplanning more so than out-talenting opponents. Tonight was a perfect example of a 32-1 #15 seed out-talenting an opponent. Played 100 times, UD wins 98. I really believe that. I never saw the staff look remotely worried. Im sure they give every opponent due respect, but they also know when things are totally in control. With the last few years of recruiting, UD has that extra gear where the girls can just pull a big-time athletic move on the court to end a point and make the staff look brilliant. By the way, I think the staff is already brilliant, but my point is, they also know you cant teach athleticism and that when Xs and Os stop working, you need players who can create something on God given ability. You see that stark contrast in ability in matches like this. But lets be fair, UD WAS playing at home and thats a huge advantage.
Horsmon reminds me of John Wooden. Doesnt say much, sits on the bench, digests what he sees, lets the assistants handle the gruntwork, etc. When he does get up and shout something or say something in the huddle, it carries cinder-block type weight and everybody is listening like a hawk. I think his cool-cat demeanor rubs off on this program. "Hey, we're going to win. Don't sweat it. If we hit a rough patch, we'll just play better. No biggie." His demeanor is the same whether they are up 2 games or down match point. No irate screaming. No stomping and kicking. Just someone who is in absolute total control of everything around him. Its uncanny. I dont know how he does it. Next year we are definitely going to do an expose' on some of his practices to see if thats where all the intensity we see on the court by the players comes from. His practices are supposedly not for the faint of heart.
Moving to the second round relatively easy just underscores how important and how well UD's season was. When you have a terrific year and get seeded, your seed gets protected just as it should be. All those wins really do serve a tremendous purpose and they ALL count.
Yvonne Martin was smacking the tar out of the ball in the second game. You look at her upside and Fletemier's over the next three seasons, throw in Gaerke and everyone else coming back -- including Erin Schroeder setting the ball and uber-reliable Kortney Norris jumping behind the line and the potential down the road seems limitless. Which is saying something considering you are graduating the Greens and Richards who are terrific.
Speaking of Kortney Norris, her thighs are like tree trunks. No baby fat folks. Shes just an imposing sized woman. Reminds me of Charles Little. Two players who can jump out of the gym while taking a giant mass of muscle with them. Most great leapers are pencil-thin.
Gentleman sitting next to me on press row said "Lipscomb doesn't have anyone who can match up to #9 [Fletemier]." He about fell out of his chair when I said she was a frosh.
Adrienne Green is a heck of a player. Shes the defensive stopper and digs exceptionally well, but sometimes others making headlines at the net or assisting means she doesn't get the recognition she deserves. She does a little of everything, a lot of things that don't show up in the boxscore. She saves points, keeps balls alive, and is oftentimes the first and most important touch in a serve receive. She set the all-time dig record at UD before her senior year, but she just keeps the entire team sort of glued together in many ways.
Michigan State will be tough and they will be looking for payback. Wont be intimidated by the crowd either. They are a typical Big10 team with athletes and size. Dayton isn't going to be able to out-athlete them or vice versa. Tactics, errors, good serving, and coaching are going to win this one. Still, UD at home? You have to give the Flyers the edge.

ud69
12-01-2007, 12:59 AM
Speaking of the Greens - Gokavi had a pretty good story on them in the DDN this morning - along with a good sized pic. Even described them. Problem was they were misidentified in the caption below the pic. Someone must have thought they looked a lot alike. :)
The caption was fixed in the on-line version.

AustinFlyer
12-01-2007, 02:31 AM
Thanks for the notes and article, Chris. Sadly I wasn't able to see this one, but I will be watching Saturday night.

What's the deal with attendance, though? I thought there were 2400 seats, but the article on the front page of www.daytonflyers.com (http://www.daytonflyers.com) says attendance was 1864.

BeckysTXA
12-01-2007, 09:40 AM
I agree with Chris that not only does Adrienne not get enough credit for what she does so well... all our backrow girls are very good... Kortney, Nicole and Chelsey all make huge contributions from the backrow that doen't show up in the boxscore. Our backrow is very solid. MSU will find that out tonight. UK looked like a junior high team. They had no serve reception, no ball control, no good first passes, no backrow D, etc. Very typical of a junior high team that hasn't learned those skills yet. What really surprised me is Gametracker had video feed of the the warmups and they look unstoppable in warmups. I know a LITTLE about some of the UK players because UK was Becky's second choice. Both Nzenwa and Britenriker are outstanding middles and in warm ups they looked unstoppable hitting everything at very high-sharp angles. During the match you never saw that. I was shocked.

MSU on the other hand looked big and physical during the match, but it was really hard to tell since UK had so little fight. I hope our coaches give the refs a heads up on their serving. It looked like they had about 7-8 service line errors. They were finally called on one -- but that's something that isn't always watched closely so a heads up might help.

All in all I think we played kind of "scrappy". We were the better team and we got it done, but we weren't sharp. But, I also agree we were in control the entire match and against an over-matched opponent we can turn it up and get it done when we need to. Against a more evenly-matched opponent we will have to bring more of our A-game and keep the intensity on high more consistantly. But we can do that and that's what I think you'll see tonight.

Finally, I agree the attendance was a little disappointing. I expected more than 2,000???? Not sure what happened there. I loved hearing that the football team was there and lots of Red Scare. Good Luck tonight. We're all behind you!

All the seeded teams made it through Round 1. The "sorta upsets" were probably Purdue beating Ohio; LSU over New Mexico State; Iowa State over San Diego. And American gave Duke everything they had before Duke prevailed 3-2. 20 of 32 teams headed to Round 2 won 3-0.

John R
12-01-2007, 09:48 AM
Alot of no shows down in the good seats.

Talked to some of the parents and they were not happy at all where that they had to sit.

The floor seats were the parents and the rest of sit that go to all the games were not full at all.

BeckysTXA
12-01-2007, 10:35 AM
Not sure how seats were "assigned" -- if at all??? Maybe someone who went can tell us about that. But on the UK website, their pictures show UK fans in those lower seats. Those fans probably didn't stay since they lost. That could account for empty seats. UD probably had no way of "re-distributing" those seats to anyone after the first match since they would not know who was staying and who was leaving to go to dinner????

I know the family and friends section is great and the families are well taken care of at UD games. I was went I attended. Kudos to UD for taking such good care of us during the season. However, at this level, I think the NCAAs call most of the shots and it's not going to be the same. And when we get to Madison -- there are 11,500 seats. Bring your binoculars.

Chris R
12-01-2007, 10:51 AM
Did anyone see the point in I think it was game one that was the terrible out of bounds call? The ball was hit near the sideline toward the corner on the team bench side. It was called out and everybody on press row looked at each other and said "not only was that in, the entire ball was in by an entire ball length." And we were on the opposite side and the line judge was standing RIGHT IN FRONT OF IT. Not making a big deal of it, but I couldn't believe he missed such an easy one right on front of him. Point Lipscomb.

I caught the last 5 minutes of MSU. They are big. Look very athletic. Normal Big10 roster. The intangibles are what will determine the winner. Fewest mistakes wins and UD needs to get off to a good start, preferably taking game one.

UDBrian
12-01-2007, 12:07 PM
My ticket said end floor or something like that according to the seating guy. I sat down for a minute and left to find a better view. I actually thought there were quite a few empty seats so they might have been able to sell more tickets. I was close to the Rachael section as there was a little extra applause when she was announced.

BeckysTXA
12-01-2007, 12:25 PM
Yeah if Rachael doesn't have an official section yet, I'm very surprised. We'll have to come up with some catchy name for it for her. She's from Colorado, but what people don't know is I think BOTH her parents went to UD because they are from OHIO. So there are all kinds of Aunts, Uncles, cousins, ect that come to every game. My guess is 30 seats per game average. It's great! They are all such big sports fans and what a treat not only for Rachael, but for the enitre team to have that kind of family support.

Also, it was really good to see her in uniform last night. She's been nursing an injury and hopefully it's on the down side of the mending hill.

John R
12-01-2007, 01:04 PM
Not sure how seats were "assigned" -- if at all??? Maybe someone who went can tell us about that. But on the UK website, their pictures show UK fans in those lower seats. Those fans probably didn't stay since they lost. That could account for empty seats. UD probably had no way of "re-distributing" those seats to anyone after the first match since they would not know who was staying and who was leaving to go to dinner????

I know the family and friends section is great and the families are well taken care of at UD games. I was went I attended. Kudos to UD for taking such good care of us during the season. However, at this level, I think the NCAAs call most of the shots and it's not going to be the same. And when we get to Madison -- there are 11,500 seats. Bring your binoculars.

The normal UD section where the parents normaly sit was next to the UK seats you are talking about is where most of the seats sat empty.

BeckysTXA
12-01-2007, 02:46 PM
Sorry, I should have written this better. My point was I don't think UD had anything to do with who got assigned what seating. I'm sure the NCAA handled this and sent each school their allottment.

Also, I know NCAA sponsors get tickets -- the best tickets in the house. I have a girlfriend who use to work at Pizza Hut's corp office in Dallas and any NCAA event anywhere near Dallas - they got really good complimentary seats. Corporate sponsorships are expensive and therefore they get the best seats.

So that section of red-chair bleachers next to the UK fans could have been NCAA complimentary tickets for sponsors or they also could have been the seats they held for the UK team if they wanted to watch the second match. Each of the teams would have had floor seats to do that.

My guess is all those seats were reserved for someone associated with the NCAA -- either sponsors, teams or NCAA officials. Dayton hosted, but it was the NCAA's show.