PDA

View Full Version : At the Half...

BeckysTXA
08-29-2008, 02:10 PM
Match tied 1-1. UNLV won first set 23-25. Other than Lindsay, we did not hit well. Problem was Lindsay only got like 3 sets and scored on all of them -- "batting" a 1.000.

Much better hitting in the second set as a team. Lindsay still very HOT - hitting over .800. Tiffany came off the bench and has also been very, very good - hitting .600. Also Blocking got us the lead to 5-6 points and we closed it out. Lindsay also doing most of the net defensive damage. We are currently at 3.0 blocks per set as a team. That's very good.

Serve Recpt defense has had 2 errors and given up 2 aces. Gametracker doesn't give all the stats -- but this looks to be pretty good. Plus we just held them to a hitting % probably in the negative for the second set -- they are at .120 for the match.

Serving -- OUCH. We have 1 ace and 7 (that hurts!!!!) serving errors.

We've got to set the hot hitters and get our serves in and we'll close this out 3-1.

Avid Flyer
08-29-2008, 02:15 PM
Trailing early in game three 8-6. Need to get focused and take this game and match

Avid Flyer
08-29-2008, 02:28 PM
Just love it when the cream comes to the top.

Imagine first game had lots of jitters for the coach and players. Glad they got that out of the way.

Time Out UD as UNLV makes a come back UD 24 UNLV 21

Avid Flyer
08-29-2008, 02:32 PM
Good time out by UD and finished off the Rebels. Now to take game four and the match.

BeckysTXA will fill us in on the play and stats.

Avid Flyer
08-29-2008, 02:40 PM
Time out UD trailing 3-7. UNLV already has 5 kills this game. time to regroup and take this match.

Avid Flyer
08-29-2008, 02:45 PM
Gutsy perfomance by sophs and freshmen.

Short lived lead now 12 - 13

Avid Flyer
08-29-2008, 02:49 PM
"Time out UNLV UD up 17-14

UD 21 - 16 Kill by Erin and ballhandling error by UNLV

UD 23 - 19

UD 23 - 21 timeout UD

24 - 24 ouch!

Final UD 26 - 24

and now for our statistcal analyst!!!!

BeckysTXA
08-29-2008, 02:51 PM
Blocking got us ahead in Set 2 and it's doing the same in set 4. More specifically -- Lindsay's blocking. She is playing the match of her career -- hitting over .800 and a bunch of blocks.

BeckysTXA
08-29-2008, 03:09 PM
Best stat of set 4 -- I don't think we had any service errors after 10 in the first 3 sets!

Best stat of the match - anything Lindsay touched. She had 7 blocks and hit .684. Only "problem" is she only had 19 attach attempts. We'll need to double that if possible next match.

Also, this is a guess, because I only see the numbers, but I think Erin did a great job with her little quick dumps of the ball. She had 13 attach attempts (and I'm guessing most of those were those little dumps to catch the defense off-guard). She scored on 7 - hitting over .500. She is very, very good at this and it's great she is using it.

ud69
08-29-2008, 03:18 PM
There must have been some advantageous rotations for us (probably when Lindsay was in the front row) - as it seemed we would get down early but then make some very nice come back runs.

This was a good win. UNLV was no pushover. They had 4 starters and 10 letterwinners back from a team that went 24-6 last year, won the Mountain West Conference Tournament, and lost a 5-setter in the first round of the NCAA to #25 Long Beach State.

Avid Flyer
08-29-2008, 03:33 PM
Good way to start the season. Like has been mentioned UNLV is no slouch! Great win for the new coach, freshmen and returning players. Go Flyers!!

Chris R
08-29-2008, 05:04 PM
Im really happy for the team. Its not easy taking on a new coach and style and having to reprogram your brain to your athletic career and still make it all work. Having a tough match to open things just makes it more nerve-wracking. Injuries just compounds the problem and piles on the unknowns.

This was an impressive gutsy effort. My hats off to the team and especially Coach Sheffield for notching his first career Flyer win. Hopefully the first of many.

I thought his quotes in todays DDN article were quite interesting. He said he wasn't here to re-invent the wheel with so much talent to work with and that he was focusing on details and nuance. I think that speaks to his maturity and also is a nice compliment to the job Tim did before him. He knows the more he can keep everyone in a comfort zone theyve been used to for their careers, the better his tactics and reception will be -- even if the way in which he delivers it is somewhat different from Horsmon.

Yaaay.

UDBrian
08-29-2008, 06:34 PM
Great to win, you always want them to win for a new coach so they can't blame the system.

KS will not be like Horsmon but from day 1 I have felt he will exceed what Horsmon did here. Once you reach the ranked level details are what get you climbing the ladder toward greatness.

I should add that I do not underestimate what TH did here. He recruited tremendous players who are also good people and turned UD into a program which now has national respect. I think KS can take the baton and move to even higher heights.