PDA

View Full Version : Dayton blocking Duo best Illini have faced!!!

Avid Flyer
09-13-2008, 07:17 PM
Who Dey!!!

"I have to give credit to the Dayton block," Hardin added. "They have the best blocking duo that we've come up against so far this season, and they did a great job against us this afternoon. I think early in the year this match could be good for our team and we'll learn something from this."

http://fightingillini.cstv.com/sports/w-volley/recaps/091208aaa.html

And wasn't it KS who said just last week UD wasn't a very good blocking team???

San Diego Flyer
09-13-2008, 07:22 PM
That is music to our ears. Speaks volumes going forward.

allflyernamesaregone
09-13-2008, 07:46 PM
Who Dey!!!

"I have to give credit to the Dayton block," Hardin added. "They have the best blocking duo that we've come up against so far this season, and they did a great job against us this afternoon. I think early in the year this match could be good for our team and we'll learn something from this."

http://fightingillini.cstv.com/sports/w-volley/recaps/091208aaa.html

And wasn't it KS who said just last week UD wasn't a very good blocking team???
Taking in the matches last weekend, to my untrained volleyball eye, it seemed like we didn't block as much as last year but good to hear such praise!

BeckysTXA
09-13-2008, 08:33 PM
KS did say that at the fan tailgate last weekend. But he also said the team was learning a new blocking scheme-technique versus what TH and staff used. We have the potential for really good blockers on this team. However blocking at this level is a 2 or 3 person technique and that take time to bring together and then on top of that add the new coaches "way" and it takes even more time.

But I also heard KS said this team works very hard. So give credit to the team and especially Lindsay and Becky for their short learning curve and hard work. They put up 8 blocks together against Ill and each had another block with someone else. That's an average of 1.8 blocks per set. That's outstanding against anyone and even more so against a player like DeBruler who was named AVAC Player of the Week 2 weeks ago.

And the even better news is Bethany is a very good blocker and Tiffany is working hard on it with some great solo results. I would expect these two to also kick in on blocking sooner rather than later. And we add in Erin, who I think is an excellent blocker for her height. I think KS and fans will be very pleased with this team's blocking going forward.

The Illinois coach was impressed.

UDBrian
09-13-2008, 10:55 PM
I thought the team blocked better as the tournament went on last week as they did in other phases. It looks like they have continued this improvement. It is always nice to receive praise from coaches of ranked teams.