PDA

View Full Version : "_"avier Match Thread

ud69
10-29-2008, 05:26 PM
One day away and nothing posted. Unusual Thursday night match. Where is our scouting report? ;)

Unless we win out, most likely SLU gets the #1 seed to the A-10 tournament. Failing to win out, we must beat _avier to get the #2 seed. Huge match.

UDBrian
10-29-2008, 08:00 PM
This could be a close match, almost everything in the stats looks close. The only big difference is that UD's opponents are hitting .17 and Xavier's are hitting .22 against them. A difference of .05 is fairly large.

Xavier has five players hitting over 1 kill per set. Their primary two hitters are Ruth Kelly outside hitter and Hillary Otte a right side hitter. Ruth is hitting 3.39 kills per set at a .241 clip. Hillary Otte has 3 kills per set but is hitting .308.

Laren Kaminsky has the second highest number of attempts getting 2.36 kills per set but is hitting .128

Xavier has young middles, they do not set the middle very much.

Ud has a nice size advantage at the net, UD should win as long as they pass the ball well.

BeckysTXA
10-29-2008, 08:28 PM
Xavier isn't very tall. They have 2 freshmen listed at 6'1". One plays MB in their 9-player rotation (Traut). The other won't be on the court against Dayton. All their other hitters are 5'11" or 6'0". Should be a BIG advantage for Dayton...BUT...

They also have UD grad Christy Utnage as their new asst coach. I believe Utnage was a great OH for Dayton -- all conference and regional AVCA All-American. She was POY in A-10. And she was a "short" OH -- I don't think she is 6'- but they have taken the archived rosters off the flyer website so someone correct me here if I'm wrong. It looks like hiring Christy was a very good move so she could work with their shorter hitters. I'm sure they have learned a lot under her.

In addition to what UDBrian stated above -- X doesn't block real well. Only 1.84/set. Dayton has it's up and down matches with blocking. Sometimes we are really good and other matches we can't buy a block. But for the season we are at 2.01/set. With our height advantage we should be able to block this team AND hit over-around their blocks.

Also, we have 2 hitters averaging around .350 percent. They have only one .308 hitter. everyone else is low 200s or below. So even tho as teams we net out about the same hitting % (X's top 5 hitters = .233. UD's top 5 = .231.) if we go to Lindsay and Bethany -- we should hit very well against Xavier.

X is a "low-error" serving team. They have just a couple more errors than aces. 50-50 in this area is very-very good. They play two setters and both played well against Dayton last year. Rightside Hitter Ruth and Leftside Hitter Otte also played well against UD last year. They will get a bunch of swings. We'll need to stop them early. Their freshman MB Traut played club ball with Becky. She'll be really good in a year or two. Her older sister plays at Duke. Kacie's sister Ali played with her last year. I think there are a couple other club connections with X - but can't remember them off the top of my head. Both teams will have some knowledge about some of the other players.

All that said, we win this match. We have the talent to win it 3-0. We need to get in and out of this gym with a very good effort. We need to play well against a quality opponent. A 3-0 sweep would be a very good thing for UD. The girls can do this and I think the coaching staff will push them to take it to this level. Go Flyers!!!

UDBrian
10-30-2008, 07:20 PM
There wasn't a link from daytonflyers.com but here is the match which is a free event, just in case you didn't notice.

http://all-access.cbssports.com/player.html?code=xavi&media=77735

ud69
10-30-2008, 08:35 PM
Yes!!!!

BeckysTXA
10-30-2008, 08:39 PM
Very nice match ladies. You are doing everything right building towards a showdown with SLU.

UDBrian
10-30-2008, 08:40 PM
A very nice three set win.

OK, Beckystxa privately predicted a three set win, I predicted it would take four sets. She got the best of me on that one.

But, I privately predicted Becky would have a very nice match tonight. 7 Kills with only 11 attempts and 3 block assists qualifies as a very nice match

The hitting percentages were very, very good for Bethany .444, Becky .636 :eek:,
Lindsay .467 and Tiffany .452.

Even though they only had 1 solo and 8 assist blocks UD was all over the net knocking back spike after spike, Xavier just happened to dig a lot of them and keep the ball in play

The team can still pass the ball better but there is a lot to carry forward tonight.

BeckysTXA
10-30-2008, 08:48 PM
Every win is important -- but a sweep of a quality team is what we needed. We have to build confidence we can go tow-to-toe with SLU and beat them. We needed some change up and KS delivered, Keep Building Girls. You can beat SLU!!!