PDA

View Full Version : If you could make a change to the team........

Bourby
10-30-2008, 07:25 PM
Who would it be, or what would you do?
There is loads of talent on this team. Unfortunately, there is no leader on the court. It must be very difficult for Kortney to lead from the sidelines. She can only do so much. I think it is very evident that we have a couple of players that lack a team concept and are only thinking of themselves.
If I had to make one change to this team, it would be to the Libero. We need someone to take charge of the defense and provide some leadership for 5 rotations. My pick would be Mandy. She is a seasoned, experienced player, highly respected by all for her work ethic and commitment.
Our serve receive is not as strong as it has been in previous years. It is key to providing more offensive options.
Billy Billikens was not far off the truth when he identified our back row as weak and lacking heart. I don't think they lack heart, but definitely need someone to take charge and anchor the team.

John R
10-30-2008, 07:46 PM
Who would it be, or what would you do?
There is loads of talent on this team. Unfortunately, there is no leader on the court. It must be very difficult for Kortney to lead from the sidelines. She can only do so much. I think it is very evident that we have a couple of players that lack a team concept and are only thinking of themselves.
If I had to make one change to this team, it would be to the Libero. We need someone to take charge of the defense and provide some leadership for 5 rotations. My pick would be Mandy. She is a seasoned, experienced player, highly respected by all for her work ethic and commitment.
Our serve receive is not as strong as it has been in previous years. It is key to providing more offensive options.
Billy Billikens was not far off the truth when he identified our back row as weak and lacking heart. I don't think they lack heart, but definitely need someone to take charge and anchor the team.

If you're going to come out and make a statement that there are some players that lack team concept you need to name them.
If not please don't make statements like that,

And who do you want to take charge?

Go Flyers!!!

ud69
10-30-2008, 08:01 PM
If you're going to come out and make a statement that there are some players that lack team concept you need to name them.
If not please don't make statements like that,

Go Flyers!!!

Now now John. I wouldn't go that far.

I don't understand the nuances of volleyball, but I thought Bourby made some good points. His reference to Kortney was interesting. As much as she did last year when up front, I really thought her serve receive was perhaps the best part of her game - and certainly better than anyone else on the team. She just seemed to have soft hands and was able to get the ball to the setter in an advantageous spot. I think we really miss that this year.

UDBrian
10-30-2008, 08:06 PM
I think the team at times lacks focus which is why we play a lot of four/five set matches. I really like how Mandy has passed the ball tight to the net this year but that is about all I will say.

I seldom say anything negative about the players but I won't do it publicly. And I really can't respond without me considering it as being negative to particular players.

Ok, I will add a comment about Kortney. She is missed for her leadership, I see her talking to players during timeouts but when she isn't on the floor there is a limit to what she can do. I have watched Kortney pretty close on defense. She is not one of these 5'4" ulta quick players but Kortney really sees what is going on. She reads the blocks well and seems to be in the right position a lot. If you learn to really watch the hitter you get a very good idea where they are going to hit the ball. You can see when they are dinking it and you can see the angle of their hand and their approach. Kortney is very good at reading the play developing and is usually in the right place. I firmly believe that playing doubles is a huge benefit in this regard. I spoke to Adrienne and Robynne Green recently and found that they played a lot of doubles which didn't surprise me.

John R
10-30-2008, 08:20 PM
Now now John. I wouldn't go that far.

I don't understand the nuances of volleyball, but I thought Bourby made some good points. His reference to Kortney was interesting. As much as she did last year when up front, I really thought her serve receive was perhaps the best part of her game - and certainly better than anyone else on the team. She just seemed to have soft hands and was able to get the ball to the setter in an advantageous spot. I think we really miss that this year.

There is no question that this team misses Kortney,

I have a problem when somone comes on here and its only there second post making negative comments like that.

UDBrian
10-30-2008, 08:32 PM
One down and two to go, let's do this 3-0

BeckysTXA
10-30-2008, 09:37 PM
I was going to say we needed to start developing an all-aroung hitter for the future and I would have suggested Tiff. After tonight looks like Ks is all over it. We are not going to beat SLU with the status quo. KS knows that. Looks like his mixing up the rotation to see what he can do to find the right combination to match up with SLU.

Really nice SWEEP of X. The sets were close but we closed it out 3-0.

UDBrian
10-30-2008, 09:43 PM
I agree on Tiffany, her back row play is getting better and better.

UDBrian
10-30-2008, 11:02 PM
Adrienne Green was a very good libero, plus she was tough and determined. If she felt someone wasn't focusing at important times she let them know it. The team last year had three seniors (Adrienne Green, Robynne Green and Jamie Lee Richards) who had been through the battles before, they have been replaced with less experienced players who seem to be coming into their own now.

I think I expected more bumps in the road this year than most other fans did, but the team can still win the A10 tournament.

Is there anything in particular that you would like to change?

Bourby
11-01-2008, 10:07 AM
It is nice to know that someone else also saw the same change that I thought was necessary for this team. Way to go Coach Sheffield.
It was wonderful to see Mandy take control of the back row on Thursday night. Not to take anything away from Valarie, her job was made very difficult with the absence of senior leadership on the court. Not easy for a freshman to come in and take control under those circumstances.
We still need to work on serve receive. Sure we had a win against Xavier, anyone watching the game will tell you the same thing, our serve receive left a lot to be desired. If we hope to beat St. Louis at home in a couple of weeks and then again in the A10ís at St. Louis, serve receive is key to giving us all our offensive options.
To answer John R
I believe the topic of certain players not being team players was addressed on this forum earlier this year. It was hoped by all that it would have been resolved for the good of the team. In my opinion, it is still evident. It would be unprofessional to mention any names.
As far as me being a new poster, I have been a member of this forum for a very long time.

John R
11-01-2008, 01:28 PM
It is nice to know that someone else also saw the same change that I thought was necessary for this team. Way to go Coach Sheffield.
It was wonderful to see Mandy take control of the back row on Thursday night. Not to take anything away from Valarie, her job was made very difficult with the absence of senior leadership on the court. Not easy for a freshman to come in and take control under those circumstances.
We still need to work on serve receive. Sure we had a win against Xavier, anyone watching the game will tell you the same thing, our serve receive left a lot to be desired. If we hope to beat St. Louis at home in a couple of weeks and then again in the A10ís at St. Louis, serve receive is key to giving us all our offensive options.
To answer John R
I believe the topic of certain players not being team players was addressed on this forum earlier this year. It was hoped by all that it would have been resolved for the good of the team. In my opinion, it is still evident. It would be unprofessional to mention any names.
As far as me being a new poster, I have been a member of this forum for a very long time.

The bottom line being a new member or a member on this forum for a long time one your first post was a negative one.

Bourby
11-02-2008, 10:39 AM
I am sorry you feel that way John R, I believe in quality, not quantity.
You can read negativity into my postings, or you can read a real desire to help a team I have been associated with for a very long time.
The bottom line is, if we hope to be playing in the post season, there is a lot of work to be done. This is not negativity, just fact.
Go Flyers

John R
11-02-2008, 11:05 AM
I am sorry you feel that way John R, I believe in quality, not quantity.
You can read negativity into my postings, or you can read a real desire to help a team I have been associated with for a very long time.
The bottom line is, if we hope to be playing in the post season, there is a lot of work to be done. This is not negativity, just fact.
Go Flyers

As I said earlier the number of post has nonthing to do with it.

The bottom line was I thought your post was negative.

If you're assosiated with the team as you say you are that makes even more negative as far as I'm concered.

The main thought however to remember is opinions are just that.

Your post I thought was negative however that doesn't mean it was to you or to any one else.

One thing for sure is we all hope the ladies are in the post season.

I will be there this weekend as the ladies take vare of X and the Radierettes.

Avid Flyer
11-02-2008, 11:35 AM
Dear John R. Wow my first Dear John letter in moons.

Anyways John I've seen you at a couple vball games now and sad to say you weren't wearing RED nor being LOUD.

Want to see you on the stream being the man.:D Wear RED and be Loud!!!

BTW I too didn't see Bourby's posts as being negative but along the same lines that BeckysTXA and UDBrian have been discussing via cell phone and pm's.

Bottom line is we all want the ladies to do well. I have no idea who Bourby is but I take him/her at their word they are and have been associated with the team a long time.

John R
11-02-2008, 12:15 PM
Dear John R. Wow my first Dear John letter in moons.

Anyways John I've seen you at a couple vball games now and sad to say you weren't wearing RED nor being LOUD.

Want to see you on the stream being the man.:D Wear RED and be Loud!!!

BTW I too didn't see Bourby's posts as being negative but along the same lines that BeckysTXA and UDBrian have been discussing via cell phone and pm's.

Bottom line is we all want the ladies to do well. I have no idea who Bourby is but I take him/her at their word they are and have been associated with the team a long time.

What? LOL

Avid, thats why I said in my opinion it was a negative post.

We all have opinons right or wrong on what others post.

As far as my wearing Red and being Loud that comes during basketball season.

Just four more days until that starts.

UDBrian
11-02-2008, 07:46 PM
I consider it kind of a performance rating at work. Just imagine if there was a place at work where you could publicly and anonymously rate your coworkers and bosses. You could mention that they take long lunches and when they dropped the ball.

If you are a '1' (top ten percentile) then having people publicly discussing your work record might sound pretty good, although some of those people may not be that highly thought of. But, if you are a '4' and fighting to keep your job it certainly wouldn't be fun having everyone discussing your faults in public.

Lynton
11-02-2008, 08:18 PM
The team showed some really good signs this week coming back from the SLU defeat. It is always good to beat X in their building...and...last year's team was undefeated until that fateful game in the Cintas Center. But, they took it and moved onto 33-2. So mega kudos to the team for the X win on Thursday!

However, they still need to grow if they want to make the A-10 tourney a match between UD and SLU. And that does mean they will need to get past the injuries and the loss of two captains. In 2005 there was 1 senior, 1 junior, 2 sophomores and 7 freshmen. Those freshmen could not hide behind any upperclassmen, they had to step it up and play. What happened? UD went to the NCAA dance, because they would not lie down.

Here's looking to this year's team doing what they need to do for the NCAA dance!!!

UDBrian
11-02-2008, 09:00 PM
If this team continues to work hard and plays with tenacity on every point they can play in the NCAA tournament.

Considering that we lost Robynne, Adrienne and Jamie Lee to graduation AND Kortney, Yvonne and Erin to injury this team has played very well. They haven't played their best match yet, hopefully that comes against St Louis in the tournament.