PDA

View Full Version : Possibly new player

UDBrian
04-07-2009, 01:54 PM
There is a possible new player who is checking into dayton, here are a couple of youtube videos. Do you think he would help? :) I do

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dpSqgqZKkI (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dpSqgqZKkI)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNwYCVKSPnk (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNwYCVKSPnk)

mook
04-07-2009, 04:09 PM
Interesting considering he was at Syracuse this past season. Would be a big pick up to get someone of that caliber.

Flyer Gramps
04-07-2009, 06:54 PM
Very nice highlight & recruiting videos. Yes, he looks fast & has good running balance.

At Syracuse there were 8 true freshman who got PT last year but Trey Fairchild was not one of them. They used 11 WR and 3 of them were frosh receivers so maybe Trey's PT would be limited if he stayed. Just conjecture on my part. He certainly could play closer to home if that's a desire.

There's no years wait if he never played for the Orange, right? Or must he be a student at UD for a year regardless of having never played?

Flyer3
04-07-2009, 10:10 PM
Very nice highlight & recruiting videos. Yes, he looks fast & has good running balance.

At Syracuse there were 8 true freshman who got PT last year but Trey Fairchild was not one of them. They used 11 WR and 3 of them were frosh receivers so maybe Trey's PT would be limited if he stayed. Just conjecture on my part. He certainly could play closer to home if that's a desire.

There's no years wait if he never played for the Orange, right? Or must he be a student at UD for a year regardless of having never played?

1) Trey requested a redshirt in 2008 and it was granted. #2 at the Z WR when he left most likely would have played alot since he was in the 2 deep. Leaving had nothing to do with football.

2) Eligible immediatley at Dayton, must sit out if he goes to another 1a.

DetroitFlyer
04-08-2009, 08:52 AM
This would be huge! I cannot remember the last time we had an FBS player, (actually on an FBS team), transfer into Dayton. This type of movement is VERY common in FCS because there is no need to sit out.... You might remember Joe Flacco. Transferred from FBS Pitt to FCS Delaware. Now starting in the NFL.

It seemed as though Mike Kelly did not actively go after these guys. This is still even kind of rare in the PFL. A few teams have landed FBS transfers from time to time, but not many.

Here is to hoping we reel him in!

Flyer Gramps
04-08-2009, 01:44 PM
You not be kidding this would be huge! The kid is fast and talented. Much like other football Flyers, he has played other positions in high school too. This seems to be a trait at UD.

There might be other options for Trey, but he couldn't go wrong in the program or in the curriculum at Dayton. And wasn't there an aicraft or aircraft engine by that name?

UDBrian
04-08-2009, 02:18 PM
Can you imagine Trey and that Valentino kid :) on the field together? UD would have speed to burn and it would force coverage issues for defenses, not only would it help the receivers the tight ends would also benefit.

Flyer3
04-08-2009, 06:07 PM
http://dayton.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=1&pr_key=59800

Flyer3
04-19-2009, 08:07 PM
We loved our visit today, after visiting Miami (Oh) yesterday. GREAT campus and the coaches were very accomodating.

Looking forward to another visit after finishing other visits. You can see why you don't hear negative comments about this University. Meet some parents and they spoke highly of the entire program.

Impressed to see the crowd today, despite the poor weather conditions.

Avid Flyer
04-19-2009, 11:53 PM
Very impressive videos. Kid sure can run and doge em. Syracuse loss is someone's gain. Would be nice it it were ours.

Good luck with your visits....but Dayton is a very unique place, and being a member of the flyer family is lifelong.

Flyer3
04-20-2009, 07:40 AM
That is one of the impressive things we are finding out as we do our research. That is a HUGE positive. The lasting relationships after school. Dayton is a very impressive institution.

smitch425
06-01-2009, 10:17 AM
Looks like Trey is going to Eastern Kentucky :(

http://blog.syracuse.com/orangefootball/2009/05/a_few_syracuse_football_items.html

Flyer Gramps
06-01-2009, 12:26 PM
Probably a financial decision. Even with financial aid, UD footballers pay more than "full ride" athletic deals.

Too bad it didn't happen for us; was looking forward to comparing his play with our athletes.

Flyer3
06-01-2009, 01:43 PM
it was all about the money. We just did not have it, and EKU did offer a full schollie and they run the spread also.

We will always wish well to the Flyers and be fans.

DetroitFlyer
06-01-2009, 10:22 PM
I think that Trey would have thrived at Dayton. Oh well, the best of luck to him at EKU! You can be sure that some of us Flyer fans will be following his career down in Kentucky. He may even get to play a game against Morehead State before he graduates.

Flyer3: Please feel free to visit and keep us posted on Trey's progress. Also, please keep our Flyers in mind just in case things do not go as planned.

smitch425
06-01-2009, 10:29 PM
I understand where you're coming from. As parents we can only do so much. Fortunately my kids are little so I have a few more years to figure out how in the world we're gonna pay for them to go to school, and even though you guys won't be joining the Flyer family we--and I believe everyone on this board would agree-- we wish him and your whole family a great season and much success!

Flyer3
06-02-2009, 08:45 AM
Thank you all. There will always be a soft spot for Dayton within our family.

UDBrian
06-02-2009, 09:34 AM
I (and probably others) felt it was likely that a potential scholarship offer would prevent Trey from attending UD. He probably would have become a key contributor here, best of luck at EKU.

signa
06-06-2009, 12:21 PM
Don't feel too bad. As they say in Star Wars.."There is another". Rumor has it that a DT from the ACC has already enrolled.

DetroitFlyer
06-06-2009, 01:53 PM
Don't feel too bad. As they say in Star Wars.."There is another". Rumor has it that a DT from the ACC has already enrolled.

That would be a HUGE get for our Flyers! I look forward to learning more about this "rumor" going forward!

DetroitFlyer
07-17-2009, 10:40 AM
It looks like EKU was SERIOUS about bringing in transfer players this year. According to some sources, the list below, (12 players), have transferred into EKU this year! That is a bunch of transfers.... I guess last season's close call with Morehead State put a big time scare into EKU.... I'm not really sure what to make of this.... A few key transfers seem like a good idea, but 12 players in a single year seem like an indication that something is seriously wrong with the program.... If recruiting and player development is that poor, one has to wonder if 12 new players with no knowledge of EKU's system, are really going to help all that much. Of course what does this say to potential recruits as well? Come to EKU, earn a starting spot and then we will replace you with a kid that transfers in from another program.... Maybe that is part of the problem? I have not previously followed EKU, so I do not know if they have a reputation of being a "Transfer U", type of program. Twelve players in a single year sure seems like a bunch to me....

Maybe this is one of the reasons that Mike Kelly did not seem to encourage transfers.... There is something to be said for making the initial committment and earning your way into the starting lineup.... Still, I think it is prudent to keep an open mind and be willing to accept key transfers when they become available. Landing a promising defensive lineman from NC State was huge. Many football recruiters will tell you this is the most difficult position to recruit. It is hard to find big, athletic kids that can excel on the defensive line. The linebacker from UC is also nice, but Dayton seems to have good success in recruiting linebackers. If I were a betting man, I would guess we see the DL on the field before the LB.

Transfers are a big unknown. The last one we got, Will Falk from Southern Utah, never reached his potential. He had great size and was reported to be an excellent player. He just could not stay healthy. As with many UD players, he was a top student and I have no doubt that he was a great team member, but he cetainly did not turn out to be a "superstar" football player....

It will be interesting to follow EKU over the next few seasons to see how things work out.

Hopefully, we will get some updates from a certain "insider" that can shed some light on the topic....

Marcus Williams, DB, 5’9” 185 Jr. Wake Forest Univ.
Chris Smith, QB, 6’3” 220 So., Marshall Univ.
Trey Fairchild, WR, 6’0” 193 Rf. Syracuse Univ.
Uniah Grant, DL, 6’0” 250 Rf, West Virginia Univ.
Matt Denham, RB, 5’10”, 172, Univ. of KY
Colby Haney, DB, 6’1” 194, So. ????
Bruce Frieson, RB, 5’9”, 195, Jr. Bakersfield Coll.
Clint Greene, RB, ??????
Tyson Patrick, LB, 6’2”, 240, University of Toledo
Jacob Davis, FB, 6’0” 230, Jr. Western Kentucky Univ.
Cory Monroe, OL, 6’7” 272, So. Georgetown College
Jasper Williams, LB, 6’2” 228, Rf., Mississippi State Univ.

Flyer3
07-27-2009, 07:01 PM
From what I understand this will be the exception, not the norm. They lost kids for various reasons and just needed to fill some holes. They do not want to be "transfer U".

I will be hoping for a Pioneer League Championship for the Flyers.

The people on this board are pure class, just as the Dayton coaching staff is.

Good Luck to you all !!

comebackkids0708
08-04-2009, 11:38 AM
DF I'm not real sure if you were reffering to me but I can only touch briefly on this. Mike Kelly never pursued transfers and Coach Chamberlin probably doesn't and won't either. Here's how most transfers come to the UD football program. A kid is being recruited in high school by various colleges, UD being one of them. The kid decides to go somewhere else, big or small. After a year or so he becomes unhappy, whether it's with the team or the school. He decides he wants to go somewhere else. Unless another school has pursued him chances are he will be contacting those schools he turned down out of high school and ask about the availability of playing there still. That's how most come about to UD. The other percentage are guys who are from Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana and go to a school far away but decide they want to come back close to home or play for a smaller school so UD will get some like that. For the amount of students UD has the connections run wild all across the United States and people talk about UD every chance they get, kids hear that. I've been in Europe and had a Dayton football t-shirt on and met another fellow Flyer who graduated 12 years before me. It's different then seeing an Ohio state or Michgian shirt, alot of times those people are just fans, never been there or don't know anyone who went there. But when you see a Dayton Flyers shirt or ball cap, you know that person has some type of connection to the school. Not every school can say that and with that type of personal incentive, you'll attract players who might have went somewhere else first, pursuing isn't something you have to do. Think about it from this angle, if you pursue an athlete you put them on a high horse from Day 1, but if they come to you, they are asking you for something, not the other way around. By no way shape or form am I saying UD coaches show no interest in transfers, because obviously they do, it just will never become a "Transfer U" and I'm glad about that.

m21eagle45
08-16-2009, 07:19 PM

There is an OT that that transferred in from NC State. There are also a few transfers from UC.

signa
08-16-2009, 08:31 PM
It's definitely DT not OT.

m21eagle45
08-19-2009, 10:49 PM
It's definitely DT not OT.

You are correct...I really need to double check what I have typed before I submit it.