PDA

View Full Version : Coming down to Campbell?

Flyer Gramps
08-04-2009, 01:12 PM
Campbell game...

Smitch asked for tailgate info and since there is no history at Campbell, I asked a friend named Orange Camel from Campbell. This is what he reported:

Good to hear from you 'Gramps!

Last year I helped in the press box, so I wasn't around the tailgating much. As I understand it, all open flame tailgating has to be in the grassy area in front of Burkot Dorm (blue area of map), and you have to register for that in advance. This is a small area and I'm not sure how that worked out. Apparently, it worked fine since they're designating that area again in '09. If you're not cooking, I'd suggest the large new lot to the left of Barker Dorm across from the stadium. UD fans might be able to gather and park there. (No open flames there, though.....Bojangles, KFC, etc are about 3 miles away.)

Yes, Campbell is a dry campus. I really don't know how much patrolling was going on. I know there was alcohol at off-campus parties (private residences). I'm not aware of any off-campus, public areas that would work for tailgating with alcohol. (I'll ask a few folks and will let you know later.)

I heard they sometimes checked bags for food and drinks upon entering the stadium. Also, you can't go to your car at half-time and return for the 2nd half.

US 421 is four-lane through the Creek, but it's rural and not too conjested. Last year, they took it down to two lanes with an overwhelming amount of state patrol/local law presence. (The SID from Valpo was amazed at the amount of patrolmen around!)

There's a Microtel Inn a couple of miles away. There's plenty of lodging in Fuquay-Varina and Dunn (I'd recommend F-V). There's a Hampton Inn 30 miles away in Sanford, which many will pass by if they're following 421 out of Greensboro.

Now don't get all spaced out Dayton fans...when I read the Policy, open flame means bonfire to me because the term grilling is used further on that page. I would plan on small paper bags to cover your drink cans though! Keep tops on the coolers.

The written Policy is at this link below and page 3 has a nice map showing the parking in yellow across route 421 from the field at BAR (Barker Hall) and BUR (Burkot Hall)..
http://admin.xosn.com/fls/15300/pdf/2009_Tailgating_Policies.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=15300

Here's hoping you can find some Lexington style barbeque while in NC.