PDA

View Full Version : Tino Does It Again! - P.O.W

jmitch
11-01-2009, 07:38 PM
For the second straight week, Tino wins the PFL Offensive Player of the Week. Every time it seemed that USD was threatening, Tino made a huge play. Whether it was running, passing, or drawing personal foul penalties, he stepped it up when he needed to. Congrats to Tino!

Flyer Gramps
11-02-2009, 10:34 AM
For the second straight week, Tino wins the PFL Offensive Player of the Week. Every time it seemed that USD was threatening, Tino made a huge play. Whether it was running, passing, or drawing personal foul penalties, he stepped it up when he needed to. Congrats to Tino!

Gosh Mitch, I missed the point of your post last night. Thought you were still in the previous week! Too tired I guess.

At least the voting coaches cut him some slack after a fumble and an intercept on a throw-away that slowed enough in the teeth of the wind to allow a jumping sideline play. Then too, he couldn't whip out a hankie and blow after every play. A QB with a bad head cold just gags it up and the camera doesn't see.

SDU Coach Caraghen said about Tino's scrambling, "That's their run game".

Consider that final possession:
USD 35 1st-10 Mack carries 5 yards.
USD 35 2nd-5 Penalty- UD false start
USD 35 2nd-10 Mack, no gain
USD 35 3rd-10
... the last meaningful play, the clock running to under 2 minutes with a precious 7 point lead, facing 3rd & 10 and an option hand off/keeper called. Valentino was not to hand it off. He takes the 3-pointer at the buzzer or the diving catch of a line drive to end the game or maybe 22 intercepts. He understands these situations and shoulders the responsibility. He kept it around right end, 15 yards, out of bounds, first down, then his emotion erupted on the field for cameras to see. Then the victory formation with three knee drops. Those situations garner coaches' votes.

UACFlyer
11-02-2009, 10:57 AM
A good running QB is all but impossible to deal with if he can pass as well. I recall West Virgina's Pat White (another Tino);....he was simply impossible to deal with. Of course, all opposing coaches had a plan to defend White;...but the ability to scramble, run, pass, etc is just not possible to defend against if the QB has good reveivers as well.

If he can't pass well or does not have good receivers a team can focus on his running, which helps. But, if the guy can spot receivers while he's scrrambling,...look out. And he can run!

Apparently, that's our Tino. And when the season started this guy wasn't a QB, right? How can that be? How could he even want to play another position when he so, so very good at QB? Wow!

But, I'll bet coach Chamberlain's heart is in his mouth every time his QB takes a shot. Cross your fingers.

DetroitFlyer
11-02-2009, 01:33 PM
A good running QB is all but impossible to deal with if he can pass as well. I recall West Virgina's Pat White (another Tino);....he was simply impossible to deal with. Of course, all opposing coaches had a plan to defend White;...but the ability to scramble, run, pass, etc is just not possible to defend against if the QB has good reveivers as well.

If he can't pass well or does not have good receivers a team can focus on his running, which helps. But, if the guy can spot receivers while he's scrrambling,...look out. And he can run!

Apparently, that's our Tino. And when the season started this guy wasn't a QB, right? How can that be? How could he even want to play another position when he so, so very good at QB? Wow!

But, I'll bet coach Chamberlain's heart is in his mouth every time his QB takes a shot. Cross your fingers.

We lost to Urbana because Tino was not our QB.... I have to place the responsibility for that on Rick as the head coach. We struggled with Rob Florian last year, and lost games because Florian just could not get it done, (Duquesne and JU, (Flo had a broken finger), but played anyway). A spread offense needs a Hoyng/Tino type QB, or an absolute world class passer and receivers. It does not seem as though our current backup QB's are in the Hoyng mold, and none of them seem to be world class passers. I'm convinced that UD should be recruiting kids like Hoyng and Tino to play QB. Undersized so they are overlooked by the bigger programs, but with the speed and athletic ability to thrive in the UD system. Landing average passers with average scrambling ability does not seem to work for us. Now, Jeff Pechan may have been one of those world class passers and his injury certainly upset the applecart for the Flyers. It will be interesting to see what happens next year if Tino returns and Jeff is 100% healthy....

Of course we have to keep in mind that Tino was also not pushing to play QB.... He wanted to be a receiver/kick returner first and foremost. He came back to the QB position for the good of the team.... It is tough to know what to do with a player like Tino. He is so gifted that he could play QB, running back, cornerback, safety, receiver, etc. When he came to Dayton, I always viewed him as Hoyng's replacement. I was not happy to see Florian start last year, but I kind of understood it. I think we would have been better served with Tino or even Pechan. It is on the coaching staff to make those decisions and live with the consequences. I think that RC is getting better each week as a head coach, and I think he has the potential to be one of Dayton's best coaches as the years unfold. The "miss" on Tino as QB has been resolved and so we move forward a better team.

Flyer Gramps
11-02-2009, 02:50 PM
UAC said, Apparently, that's our Tino. And when the season started this guy wasn't a QB, right? How can that be? How could he even want to play another position when he so, so very good at QB? Wow!

He'll never get to play his best position at UD!

Many were surprised that he worked at QB as a UD freshman. He is a better QB today than seven weeks ago - a fast learner who happens to have the tools to put to work. Until college, his most success was not on offense. Many coaches for many years overlooked things. RC needed Tino worse, he thought, in other positions. Then the emegency changed everthing.

UACFlyer
11-02-2009, 03:35 PM
I thought I read a comment by DF suggesting that Tino can play next year. Does he have another year of eligibility?...and if so, will he use it?

Flyer Gramps
11-02-2009, 03:45 PM
I thought I read a comment by DF suggesting that Tino can play next year. Does he have another year of eligibility?...and if so, will he use it?

Depends on how donations come in. Even Motor City or Big East money is accepted.

UACFlyer
11-02-2009, 05:52 PM
Gramps, I read your response to mean: 1) Tino is a senior academically but has another year of football eligibility; 2) If he decides to play football for another year it will be as a graduate student; 3) The cost of the additional year will likely weigh upon his decision; 4) Help with tuition costs will be welcomed.

(I suppose your tongue was firmly implanted in your cheek while composing your response.)

Well, whatever is best for the young man is what he should do. But, if he is eligible for another year I certainly hope he decides to play.

UDBrian
11-02-2009, 06:01 PM
DF, I agree with your analysis of the 'ideal' QB for UD's offense. Tino isn't far from the size of Michigan's current QB. You can win without a mobile qb but having that option threat on every play increases your odds of success.

I have to believe that FlyerGramps knows Tino's best position as safety. But, if his current run continues it might become hard to argue whether his skills can dominate a game at QB better than he could at safety.

There are some tough games left and I am a little concerned that teams seem to be taking late/cheap shots at Tino

UACFlyer
11-02-2009, 06:38 PM
I cannot imagine anyone thinking for a moment that Tino would play better or be any more valuable to the team than at QB.

Although one or two others feel that their are positions in team sports as important as QB in football, I do not and I think Tino's impact bolsters my case. Whether in college or pro football, when a good QB is lost the impact is immediate and usually always severe. Entire seasons often turn on a dime if a QB is injured.

Hopefully Brian's fears are unjustified. It's one thing to beat up on the QB so he becomes "aware" of his volatile surroundings;...it's quite another to lay cheap, late shots on the QB that may result in injury. It's up to the officials to see that right away and bring it to an end.

Whatever, we know that Butler and Drake will have Tino in their sights.

Usually, putting pressure on a good QB is about the most effective thing a defense can do. But when the QB is a great scrambler and runner that approach can drive the QB to do what he does best,....run! That's why a really mobile, agile, fast QB is such a threat.