PDA

View Full Version : Gridiron Classic

DetroitFlyer
12-05-2009, 02:51 PM
Butler defeats CCSU 28 - 23 today in the fourth and probably final Gridiron Classic. That makes the PFL 3-1 in Gridiron Classics against the NEC. The NEC gains an autobid to the FCS playoffs next season....

Also of note, three different PFL teams won the Gridiron Classic. San Diego, Dayton and Butler....

I have been saying for years that whatever team wins the PFL in any given season is worthy of a playoff bid.

I hope that the "powers that be" in the NCAA are paying attention when the time comes to award an autobid to the PFL.

UACFlyer
12-05-2009, 03:50 PM
Nice win for the PFL.

DF, as I recall the PFL voted to apply for an auto bid. Right? If so, has a formal application been made? Anything else you know about the issue?

It would be very nice if the PFL was afforded enough respect such that the Ivy's and Pats would consider PFL teams more favorably as regards scheduling.

Flyer Gramps
12-05-2009, 04:06 PM
I'm certain that the "powers at be" know what is happening with 3 different PFL programs beating the NEC team in 4 years. But...it still is a political hotcake to have non-schollies in there.

Did you see any of the Cinci-Pitt game from Heintz Filed? Did you see the signs and banners Pitt displays at that leased facility. Our 2 banners and 4 end zone flags need company next year.

And how about that webcast of the Gridiron Classic? I had poor 2nd half reception because of weather (or Time-Warner) but the job was professionally done, with better video quality, better program director, full broadcast audio, properly timed commercials, top of screen banner with score-quarter-time clock; all so much better than our All-Access. That means that Butler (when they want to ), Drake and SDU are all above and beyond UD's webcast (Duquesne is only slightly better). This must become an issue for improvement for the Flyers.

UACFlyer
12-05-2009, 04:14 PM
Gramps, are you sure the assertion of bias against non-schollies isn't a myth?
Put yourself in the shoes of the guys that make decisions: What reason would you have to be biased against non-scholarship programs?

Do you think the IVies would have any trouble getting a bid if they wanted one?

DetroitFlyer
12-05-2009, 05:37 PM
Gramps, are you sure the assertion of bias against non-schollies isn't a myth?
Put yourself in the shoes of the guys that make decisions: What reason would you have to be biased against non-scholarship programs?

Do you think the IVies would have any trouble getting a bid if they wanted one?

The good ole Ohio Valley Conference has tried unsuccessfully the last few years to get a rule passed that sets a minimum number of athletic scholarships in order to be eligible for the FCS playoffs. I think it has even gone as far in the past to try and set a limit just to be part of FCS.... So far, it has failed every time.... Still, it points out that even in 2009 there are forces in the world of FCS that are anti-PFL. The PFL has not helped itself either.... The very name of the conference is a constant slap across the face of the NCAA. Remember the PLF's "mission statement"? The bias is really against the PFL. The Ivy League does not want to join the playoff party, autobid or at large. Oddly enough, the PFL has always been open to an at large bid.... When USD was sitting at about #16 in the polls, with Jimbo screaming for a bid, the OVC's of the world came to the surface.... Since USD's 2006 run, there has not been much support for PFL teams in the top 25 polls.... The Ivy ALWAYS has top 25 teams because they are no threat to cause a playoff debate.... To put this in perspective, how would you like to make the case to your alums, supporters, President, etc., that athletic scholarships are necessary, (can you say OVC), when the PFL gets an autobid to the playoffs and frankly, would probably perform equal to or better than the OVC....

There are significant obstacles to overcome for an autobid. Hopefully, going 3-1 in the Gridiron Classic will help.

UACFlyer
12-06-2009, 10:29 AM
DF, re the explanation to alums,....would that really be an issue?

Consider the NCAA basketball tournament. Conferences that would never have a team in the Dance get auto bids, excluding other much better teams that would be in IF the goal was to have the best 64 teams play. But that isn't the objective of the wildly popular Dance. Having the teams from the lesser conferences is what makes the tournament so very popular coast-to-coast.

Why would attitudes be any different for football? Now if the non-schollie teams routinely beat the schools giving scholarships, that would be another matter. But, that won't happen. Scholarship teams are better than non-schollie teams,.....not always, of course, but most of the time.

Thus, giving auto bids to ALL FCS conferences that request them would be in the same spirit as the basketball tourney. In my opinion.

DetroitFlyer
12-06-2009, 02:25 PM
DF, re the explanation to alums,....would that really be an issue?

Consider the NCAA basketball tournament. Conferences that would never have a team in the Dance get auto bids, excluding other much better teams that would be in IF the goal was to have the best 64 teams play. But that isn't the objective of the wildly popular Dance. Having the teams from the lesser conferences is what makes the tournament so very popular coast-to-coast.

Why would attitudes be any different for football? Now if the non-schollie teams routinely beat the schools giving scholarships, that would be another matter. But, that won't happen. Scholarship teams are better than non-schollie teams,.....not always, of course, but most of the time.

Thus, giving auto bids to ALL FCS conferences that request them would be in the same spirit as the basketball tourney. In my opinion.

The issue is the price of athletic scholarships. In basketball, virtually all teams are "even" when it comes to the number of athletic scholarships granted to players. Since the number is small, and easily offset by WBB for Title IX, it is easy to comply. Now, if Murray State is granting 63 athletic scholarships to football players and some equivalent amount to women's sports, while the PFL grants zero and has a much easier time meeting Title IX requirements, it seems reasonable that folks at Murray State might wonder why they are spending all that money and getting results that are basically sub-PFL.... This is just an issue that some in FCS do not want to have to worry about....

UACFlyer
12-06-2009, 04:38 PM
DF, as I understand Title IX scholarships are not the issue. UD has to offset its ~ 100 non-schollie football players with a similar number of athletics "opportunities" for women. That's why UD has women's crew, volleyball and track and field,...but no equivalent men's sports.

DetroitFlyer
12-06-2009, 04:57 PM
DF, as I understand Title IX scholarships are not the issue. UD has to offset its ~ 100 non-schollie football players with a similar number of athletics "opportunities" for women. That's why UD has women's crew, volleyball and track and field,...but no equivalent men's sports.

UD takes care of Title IX very well. A typical OVC school with 63 athletic scholarships for football is going to have a more difficult time.

The supporters of OVC schools might begin to wonder why they are not playing PFL type football, especially if the PFL gains an autobid. How do you think they would feel if Morehead State won the PFL and received the PFL's autobid...? Not hard to see why they "fear" the PFL....

UACFlyer
12-06-2009, 05:43 PM
DF, I'm not going to try to respond to your explanation. But, I do think that your logic is flawed. I really don't think people think about these things the way you imagine. I don't think the OVC or anyone else gives a hoot about an auto-bid for the PFL.

We're not not talking about understanding the causes of cancer or the origin of the universe. We're talking about the number of teams in a football playoff.