PDA

View Full Version : Ohio Thread

BeckysTXA
11-24-2010, 10:31 AM
As someone else noted, for a long time this year, this match looked like a "throw away" match. Ohio was not having a good year. Usually this program has an rpi in the 20-30's. They were at one point just inside the 100's. They won their conference tourney and are headed to the dance and that makes this match perfect for both teams as a tune-up for the NCAAs.

As a team UD leads in almost all statistical categories - against much tougher competition. Thus our RPI is 12 and Ohio's is 79. But this match will be much more challenging than that.

UD is hitting .261. Ohio .238. About 5 weeks ago that's where UD was and I posted we needed to get on an offensive roll because of the Top 25 teams our hitting % was almost last. Also that no Final Four team over the last 3 years hit below .260-.270 range, with most .300+. At the time I also said we probably couldn't get there -- simply too few matches left. But it was important we TRENDED in the high 200's heading into the NCAAs.

Boy did this team prove me wrong. They have been on one heck of a tear offensively. It's important against Ohio we hit well since they are the first NCAA team we have played in some time. Well = .280+.

Aces: Ohio is ahead of UD in this stat: 1.30 to 1.20. Aces aren't the most important serving measurement. Agressive serves that take a team out of their offense is the primary goal. But all that said, about a 1/3 of the way into the season, we averaged 0.90 aces/set. We've come a long way over the last 2 months. I'd like to be at 1.25, but it's not an area I'm concerned about.

Both teams generate in the high 17's in points per set. UD @ 17.82; Ohio @ 17.61. Both are very good at scoring their own points. Where UD is a lot better is at limiting their opponents' points scored. We only allow 13.01 points/set to be scored on us. Ohio is at 14.53.

We also dig the ball better. 12.71 to 12.13.

But here's the stat that will surprise everyone. Ohio is the better blocking team. (Bet you didn't see that one coming! lol) Ohio is the #1 blocking team in the nation at 3.09 b/s. UD is #5 at 3.00. (Note - UD has played a tougher schedule, which isn't factored in.)

None-the-less, this stat makes Ohio the PERFECT tune-up match for UD. Over the last 3-4 matches, our outside hitters have been swinging better than I've ever seen them. And it's all 3 of them - Amanda, Yvonne and Kray. But have they been tested against a really good blocking team? We are going to see great blocking in the NCAAs. So we NEED this test. Everyone needs it. The setter, the MBs, the OHs and the backrow defense that has to cover inside the 10' line to pick up blocked balls.

This will be a tough match if we don't come ready to play Flyer Volleyball. There have been very few mental lapses by this team this year. I don't see one coming this week. I like our chances.

GO FLYERS!!!

BeckysTXA
11-26-2010, 06:31 PM
Match starts in about 30 minutes. No video link up yet on Ohio's website, but their schedule and the pre-match story say we're suppose to have it.

Good test to UD to make sure we are sharp going into NCAAs. I think we are the better blocking team, guess we are going to find out.

Chris R
11-26-2010, 06:38 PM
Might be one of the biggest (or the biggest) true road wins on the season if we can pull it out.

BeckysTXA
11-26-2010, 07:03 PM
3 places on the Ohio website it gives you a link to click and watch -- but when you get to the video selection page - no volleyball match link. hmmmmm. I was do hoping to see these two good blockign teams.

BeckysTXA
11-26-2010, 07:14 PM
UNI was pretty big, but that was a long time ago. We aren't even the same team as back then.

John R
11-26-2010, 07:32 PM
UD wins first set 25=20

ud69
Flyers take set 1 - 25-20

Lindsay only touched the ball once or twice.

BeckysTXA
Sorry Chris -- looks like the horse might be going hungry tonight. Our game plan is clearly to set the OHs - both left and right and let them swing away against a great blocking team. And they are doing very well - hit .361 in the first set and didn't set Beck or Lindsay (Beck has 1 swing, but it could have been a broken play???) .361 without a contribution from our middles - unreal.

John R
11-26-2010, 08:01 PM
25-23 UD wins second set

ud69
11-26-2010, 08:01 PM
Set 2 - Flyers 25-23 - They lead 2-0

Down 17-20 and came back. Yvonne on fire. Outblocking the Bobcats.

Ok. Now lets close it out.

John R
11-26-2010, 08:05 PM
Lets make it 3-0 and get the sweep.

Chris R
11-26-2010, 08:06 PM
Feed the Horse!!!

HansMoleman
11-26-2010, 08:18 PM
I think this years Flyers don't care who gets it...as long as the team wins in the end

Go Flyers!

BeckysTXA
11-26-2010, 08:37 PM
Sweep. :D:):D:o;)

We had 19 hitting errors - but 10 of them were Ohio blocks. Team finished the night hitting .225 and plenty of film to work on hitting against a strong blocking team.

Not perfect, but we needed this to get ready for next weekend and beyond. Great job with the come-from-behind second set win. Gotta love that.

We'll be ready for Rds 1 & 2. Sure hope we get to host.

GO FLYERS!!!

Chris R
11-26-2010, 08:41 PM
You play a good team in their gym, they are going to take some things away from you. Beating Ohio U on the road is a very very solid piece of work.

Wrap it all up and Dayton did everything they could have been asked to do after dropping the three matches to the Top-10 teams early in the season. They won every other non-con match, swept the conference, and won the conference tourney on the second place team's (rival's) home court. Then beat the best team in the MAC on their home court in a sweep in an NCAA tune-up. We've done everything we possibly can to achieve a favorable first/second round matchup to get to the regionals.

There are no second guesses or what-ifs as we did everything we could have. We didnt slip up even once for two months. Just have to leave it up to the committee and accept the bracket.

NovaFlyer
11-26-2010, 08:45 PM
Congrats, Flyers. See you at the selection show. NCAA tix arrived today, all set to watch UD fly high.

UDBrian
11-26-2010, 09:56 PM
Great match Yvonne and everyone else! Obviously a big win, nobody wants to have a winning streak end the first match before the tournament. It is possible that this was really a huge win concerning hosting the first weekend.

Chris R
11-26-2010, 10:56 PM
#12 Dayton was the highest ranked team to ever play at the Convo in Athens. Thats saying something because over the years Ohio U has had some mighty tough teams and hosted some pretty tough in-season tourneys.