PDA

View Full Version : Dayton Players on the NFL Radar

DetroitFlyer
10-18-2007, 01:21 PM
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/college.php?DSTeamId=186&sortorder=tsxpos&order=ASC

Have you ever wondered if the NFL scouts pay any attention to our Flyers? Click above to find out...!

Once you do that, click below to check out another well known, PFL team:

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/college.php?DSTeamId=358&sortorder=tsxpos&order=ASC

I'll give you a hint, one well known player on this team is projected to be drafted in the 3rd or 4th round next year by this service!

Lurking Dog
10-18-2007, 04:26 PM
I like their honesty with 40 times. Scott Phaydavong (low 4.53-high 4.67) is listed as running a 4.6. That he appears to light up an afterburner in the open field is more a testament to the slow guys chasing him than anything else. In I-A, he would have very average speed.

comebackkids0708
10-19-2007, 09:34 AM
It is really neat to see PFL players getting some looks, but lets be honest. JJ will be the only player to play at the next level, that being the NFL. An top level arena team would be a nice fit for a few players but you really have to love the game to do that. As far as that indoor team in Dayton, I don't think UD players will waste their time with it, least I would hope not. I saw a game when they first started and I've seen better players at local high school games. The last Flyers to really be considered for the NFL was WR Ryan Jones, DB Doug Jones, and K Jesse Obert. Doug Jones was just a wild man on the field and was going to be Special Teams, not real sure what happened, I think something with his agent and a problem with the combine. Jesse had a tremedous leg but never got the chance he needed. Ryan Jones was just an amazing athlete, highly recruited by alot of Big Ten Schools, even had an offer from Michigan State but got in some trouble off the field and the offer was withdrawn. Was somewhat of a problem child when he first got to UD but really turned his act around by graduation and always was a pleasure being around him. If my information is correct OL Ryan Winner was invited to a combine but nothing ever came of it. The last time an NFL scout was at Welcome Stadium was 2-3 years ago when Tiffin came to town. They were there to watch the now Steelers WR, Nate Washington.

DetroitFlyer
10-19-2007, 10:11 AM
USD seems to have three players with a great shot at the NFL. Of course JJ is #1. Both Eric Bakhtiari, (http://usdtoreros.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/bakhtiari_eric00.html), and Wes Doyle, (http://usdtoreros.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/doyle_wes00.html), are reported to have been scouted heavily by the NFL. Mean Joe Green was recently reported to have been in San Diego looking at Wes Doyle for the Steelers.

All three of these kids have NFL size. I would not be surprised to see all three make a team. Eric and Wes will probably be free agents, while JJ will be drafted.

As far as I know, Jesse Obert is the only UD player to play professionally at any level, since the 1970's....

I never did understand why Doug Jones and Ryan Winner did not get more of a shot....

One thing I did notice is that Scott Vossler's stock was identified as "going up" by this service....

Interesting to see as well, that Matt Champa is being looked at as a fullback....

Lurking Dog
10-19-2007, 02:26 PM
JJ will be the only player to play at the next level, that being the NFL.

JJ might be the only one drafted. There will be others signed as free agents. Bakhtiari's versatility will give him a good chance to make a roster, IMO.

comebackkids0708
10-19-2007, 02:38 PM
The other 2 guys CAN def. play at the next level but it would be a free agent thing, like you said, but there is also a big difference between can and will. Doug Jones could have played at the next level, Jesse Obert and Ryan Jones too, but it didn't happen. Again I would love to see a Flyer, or any PFL player play in the NFL but the odds are just so so small (minus JJ). Billy Cundiff did a good job in the NFL, but that's a kicker position, which is a whole new ball game. The level of competition doesn't matter, the field is still the same size and so are the goal post. However when it comes to other positions the level of competition comes into question a great deal. All in all I hope more then JJ gets a shot I'm just being honest becuase I've been around this level of football for a long time and this kind of talk happens ALOT (I really could name quite a few Flyers who have been in the same situation in recent years thanks to the internet) and I'm not trying to be the bear of bad news just trying to put some reality into all this.

Two more things. Please don't think I'm thinking JJ is going to be some superstar in the NFL, but he will get his shot, and I think represent the PFL well when he has his turn. Are you serious? Matt Champa at FB? Honestly that site just lost all credibility in my book, that is like saying Ryan Winner should have been looked at as a QB. Champa at TE, yes. FB? Ridiculous.

DetroitFlyer
11-07-2007, 04:28 PM
I wondered if the scout(s) at the San Diego / Dayton game would notice any UD players even though they came to see JJ.... Well, click on the link in the first post on this thread and you will notice that now one Kevin Hoyng is on the radar.... I thought it was a bit odd that he was not on previously.... Not only is Kevin on the radar, he has a good deal of information posted from the DDN article following the USD game. Of course he is listed as a QB, (#63), but perhaps more intriguing is his second position of "Athlete". One would think that Kevin could be a potential NFL receiver, defensive back, special teams player, etc.... With his overall athletic ability, it sure would be great to see him end up in the NFL in some capacity!

Like I always say.... Remember that QB from another Division I, Catholic college.... Doug Flutie!

Very interesting indeed

DetroitFlyer
01-20-2008, 11:28 AM
After the East/West Shrine game, I was curious to see where USD's JJ was projected.... Of course while I was looking, I checked on Kevin. He is now the 13th ranked QB in FCS as far as the draft, and 55/110 of all QB's. Obviously, still a longshot, but I have to believe that if Kevin wants to play professionally, there is an opportunity somewhere. All he needs is a shot.... Jon Gruden: Are you listening?

Oh, and this service has JJ going in the fourth round.... One way or another, he will become the first player to be drafted from the PFL by the NFL.