PDA

View Full Version : Northwestern

Avid Flyer
08-28-2011, 04:44 PM
Video is free and working but stats is not. Haven't a clue what the stats are but NW is pushing UD around at will. How ever UD scored on its chance and led most of the first half till NW tied it a min ago. Again no time or stats but NW must have 8 corner kicks to nil for Dayton.

Smigel got the goal but no assist was named.

Scoreboard at half has NW with 7 shots on goal to 2 for UD and 6 corner shots to 0 for UD.

Halftime 1-1

Chris R
08-28-2011, 04:58 PM
That was ridiculous compared to what we've seen thus far this season. We are better than this. Defense got outplayed, goal kicks were woeful, mids got beat to loose balls. In short stretches we were technically better and more refined, but we lack an ability to win the freakin ball.

How do you get 7 first half corners against a 20mph head wind? 20yd goalkicks and clearing the ball right down Broadway time and time again. Add to that long throw-ins and UD was pressed all half.

The goal we gave up should have never happened. Bounced on the carpet, and GK and defender collided trying to go for the ball. UD's goal was technically great. Good feed and score. Libertin had a chance to add another. Beyond those two chances however, not much.

I hate playing on carpet. I gotta give a bit of a break since we dont play or train on it much. It really does change the game of soccer into the UGLY GAME.

Still, we need to get the defense in order. Its the weak link right now. Senoyuit needs to play like the biggest player on the field and win all the garbage in the middle. We need a physical presence.

I have to think Miller or Kenyon will take the goal kicks in the second half against the wind. Lousy goal kicks are just like turnovers, and we had a lot of those.

Can you tell Im fired up???? I want to put these purple dorks in the dumpster. Just get me to 4-0.

Avid Flyer
08-28-2011, 05:12 PM
Unfortunately not much improvement in second half. NW beating us to the ball. Dominating play.

UACFlyer
08-28-2011, 05:16 PM
That was ridiculous compared to what we've seen thus far this season. We are better than this. Defense got outplayed, goal kicks were woeful, mids got beat to loose balls. In short stretches we were technically better and more refined, but we lack an ability to win the freakin ball.

How do you get 7 first half corners against a 20mph head wind? 20yd goalkicks and clearing the ball right down Broadway time and time again. Add to that long throw-ins and UD was pressed all half.

The goal we gave up should have never happened. Bounced on the carpet, and GK and defender collided trying to go for the ball. UD's goal was technically great. Good feed and score. Libertin had a chance to add another. Beyond those two chances however, not much.

I hate playing on carpet. I gotta give a bit of a break since we dont play or train on it much. It really does change the game of soccer into the UGLY GAME.

Still, we need to get the defense in order. Its the weak link right now. Senoyuit needs to play like the biggest player on the field and win all the garbage in the middle. We need a physical presence.

I have to think Miller or Kenyon will take the goal kicks in the second half against the wind. Lousy goal kicks are just like turnovers, and we had a lot of those.

Can you tell Im fired up???? I want to put these purple dorks in the dumpster. Just get me to 4-0.

.....you're talking about my other alma mater.

Avid Flyer
08-28-2011, 05:28 PM
and here I thought BG substituted alot.

Avid Flyer
08-28-2011, 05:38 PM
Not only is NW getting to the ball quicker they are easily taking the ball away from the flyers.

Avid Flyer
08-28-2011, 05:43 PM
Corners NW 9- UD 1
Saves 2-2
Goals 1-1

Lucky to still be in the game.

Chris R
08-28-2011, 05:48 PM
Heading to OT. Pushed around like rag dolls from a physicality standpoint. Its killing us in every 50/50 challenge.

udisit19
08-28-2011, 05:49 PM
Just wanna say that I've watched the MTSU game, and the UD women's vball @ Wisc. GB tourney, and this is the worst live video experience. No score or stats except for a look at the scoreboard post goal, and at half time. In addition no announcer.

I preferred the MTSU announcer who had no idea who we were over this. Northwestern and the Big 10 should be pretty embarrassed. But I guess this is better than nothing.

NovaFlyer
08-28-2011, 05:50 PM
2-1 dayton, nice game, well nice final score anyway.

Avid Flyer
08-28-2011, 05:51 PM
Juliana Libertin scores the winning goal.

UD 2 NW 1

ud69
08-28-2011, 06:00 PM
Get on the bus and get outta town quickly before we get arrested for impersonating a soccer team. We stole one. Come November it will look like just another "W". This was not a good Flyer performance.

I think we had maybe three shots all match and scored on 2 of them. Little urgency or physicality. Goal kicks were abysmal and embarrassing, even with the wind behind us. I don't know what the answer is but don't they practice goal kicks? Smigel and Libertin with the goals - and Willie with both assists.

I hate carpet. I hate carpet. I hate carpet. There, I said it three times. It is just not soccer on the fake stuff - and it changes the whole way the game is played.

Agreed on the video production. Had I paid for it, I would want my money back. It was awful. It was impossible to follow the action on the far side of the field. With no audio, how would one know the score without watching the whole match.

4-0, three of them on the road, with our best defender yet to see the pitch this year. Ok, the glass is at least half full - and maybe a little more.:)

Chris R
08-28-2011, 06:01 PM
Libertin with a couple touches on goal and a finish to the far post. Excellent bit of skill and finishing. Saved the Flyers bacon this afternoon 2-1 in OT. Other than a 3-4 dangerous chances in front of the net today however, UD got outplayed in all areas. Even the simple things like clears with no pressure were a liability all day.

Man that was ugly, but, the silver lining is 4-0. So, big picture here.

Still, there are some issues to address in the net, centrally, and so forth. UD has lost some matches in the past where they dominated, so the soccer Gods owe us a couple.

Not sure what you can take away from the match other than when you dont tackle, win loose balls, and make quality clears out of the box, you will struggle against just about anyone. NU may not be a great team in the Big10, but they had some size and physicality and it caused us problems.

As UD69 said, carpet is a joke in this sport. If I was a HS senior, Id strike an X through every program with a carpeted home field even if they were the defending national champs. Nobody wins when you play on this garbage. Dont give me that maintenance excuse. If carpet isnt good enough for FIFA, its not good enough for me.

Add in typical gale force winds off Lake Michigan and playing soccer at that otherwise beautiful setting has to be worse than a root canal.

UACFlyer
08-28-2011, 07:12 PM
Juliana Libertin scores the winning goal.

UD 2 NW 1

....that even enthusiasts admit is that, unlike any other sport, in soccer it is common for the obviously superior team to lose.

Nonetheless, I'm happy about the outcome.

Avid Flyer
08-28-2011, 08:02 PM
....that even enthusiasts admit is that, unlike any other sport, in soccer it is common for the obviously superior team to lose.

Nonetheless, I'm happy about the outcome.

I remember a few years back when UD played Maryland in the NCAA's. UM had like 22 shots on goal to UD's 1. Final score UD 1 - UM 0.

Avid Flyer
08-28-2011, 08:13 PM
"...We had a horrific first half.....This wasn't even close to the team we were on Friday night..."

Practice may not be pretty this week; oh well.

Nice finish though, congrats ladies.

Chris R
08-29-2011, 05:13 PM
This was a bigger win than it might seem on the surface.

Northwestern is 0-3 with two overtime losses and another one-goal loss. Looking at their schedule, they hit the road for three straight agianst SMC, Stanford, and Illinois State. They could easily lose all three of those, though I dont know how good ISU is. They are home for Illinois Chicago in a match they **should** win, but then hit the Big10 schedule with three more on the road against Nebraska, Penn State, and Ohio State. They should lose all three of those.

So Northwestern may be 2-8 by the end of September. Dayton did not want a bad loss like they hanging on their resume'. I do believe Northwestern should themselves to be better than their current record indicates and may surprise a couple teams in there, but the Big10 schedule will spit them out by year end.

Its a big win from the angle that a loss could have been ugly looking. If you watched the match from objective eyes however, the two teams were not that far apart. The Flyers looked like mush and that didnt help, but NW had some speed, size, and toughness. Had NW been able to finish better and convert just a couple of those corner kicks, they would have prevailed.