PDA

View Full Version : Dayton Falters in 2-1 OT Loss to DePaul

Chris R
09-02-2012, 05:26 PM
Game recap: http://www.udpride.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21423

Wow. This is getting frustrating to watch. There's just no way we should ever give up two goals to a foe like DePaul. This would have been a 1-0 or 2-0 shutout at any point in the last 10 seasons. We are leaking like the Titanic in the back line right now, unable to stop even the most tepid offenses. Our GAA is over 2 goals a game. That's outrageous for a program that's had the best defense in the league for 15 years.

The offense should have finished much better today no question. But of those 32 shots, 10-15 were wasted attempts from long-distance that were little more than turnovers.

I'm not exonerating the offense completely. We should have enough firepower to win 2-1 in regulation. But the offense is in a proverbial strait-jacket considering how incapable the defense is at maintaining possession and passing to players other than the opposition. It's almost like we're scoring goals in spite of the defense helping out, not because of them. And today was one of those days when the balls weren't going in the net for us.

The defense and offense aren't on the same page right now. I have a public love affair with defenders and hold my nose a bit at strikers who only need to look good for 30 seconds a match in order to be recognized. But right now the Flyer defense is suffocating the offense to death. We're fortunate we have the kind of talented goal scorers we do that have been able to still score goals in spite of the inability to get decent balls up top served to them.

We gotta win more balls in the midfield too.

Tucker has his work cut out for him. But he's made a living out of solving problems so I wouldn't bet against him figuring something out.

ud69
09-02-2012, 06:01 PM
All at-large aspirations are gone. Must regroup for the conference season. Is it time for the nuclear option?

The only real personnel change from Friday was Boone for Melchert in goal - no real improvement. Boone is just so immobile and her goal kicks/punts are very weak. Garcia was back and that helped some.

Coach Tucker had one word for the ladies after the game - "Inside". I doubt it was pleasant in there.

Avid Flyer
09-02-2012, 08:04 PM
Without doubt time for the nuclear option. Time to find out who really wants their scholarship. Time to play the players with heart and spirit even they have less natural talent.

Look for some serious house cleaning this week.

NovaFlyer
09-02-2012, 08:23 PM
Definitely a better game today than on Fri for UD, just not enough to win against a team we dominated throughout the whole game.

UD_GH32
09-07-2012, 09:32 AM
So we have to just hope that they win the conference correct? What are the chances of that? Good or bad? Especially with the target on their back from the last few years.