PDA

View Full Version : RI Match

BeckysTXA
10-30-2015, 07:56 PM
Tied 1-1 at intermission. UD takes 1st -- RI the second. Both sets close. Will be a dog fight to the finish.

Go Flyers!

Chris R
10-30-2015, 08:05 PM
I smell a five setter.

ud69
10-30-2015, 08:31 PM
Rhody takes set 3 - 25-23. We give them their last 2 points on service errors. We have 11 service errors and 1 ace. Rhody has 6 errors and 5 aces. Difference in the match so far.

BeckysTXA
10-30-2015, 08:31 PM
RI up 2-1. Took the 3rd set 25-23. UD GAVE RI their last 2 points on errors. Gotta clean up our side of the net to win this one. Gotta go 5 now to win.

ud69
10-30-2015, 08:55 PM
25-21 Flyers in the 4th. Going to the 5th.

NovaFlyer
10-30-2015, 08:57 PM
25-21 Flyers in the 4th. Going to the 5th.

Thanks , my stats froze.

Avid Flyer
10-30-2015, 08:59 PM
My gametracker froze at 21-19:angryfire:

But we won:yay:

NovaFlyer
10-30-2015, 09:11 PM
Guess we won 15-6 in the 5th, 16 service errors

Avid Flyer
10-30-2015, 09:11 PM
Win 5th set going away. When the going gets tough, the tough get going:beermug:

ud69
10-30-2015, 09:18 PM
Blitzkrieg in the 5th - 15-6 Flyers

Need to clean up our serving

Rhody - 8 aces, 7 service errors, 3 serve receive errors

Flyers- 3 aces, 16 service errors (ouch), 8 receive errors

We outhit them .299 to .164 to offset the service problems

Seton Hall match scheduled for Sunday has been cancelled WTF?

jpk4ud
10-30-2015, 09:22 PM
Way to many service errors the last few matches, have to clean that up fast.

Chris R
10-30-2015, 09:23 PM
Another big-time gut check. Lets not do lip service to going on the road and beating a very solid Rhode Island team. They are one of the top contenders in the A10, have a good record, and have given almost every team fits this year. This is one of the best road wins in the season. Right there with the GW sweep. We did not serve well, but, good teams make you go for just a bit more on serves knowing your margins are thinner. To win in spite of the serving trouble is a good sign b/c we can correct the serving.

It wasn't easy and we had to dig deep, but URI gives out scholarships too. We have shown some real mental toughness in the last couple weeks.

Lifelong Flyer Fan
10-30-2015, 09:37 PM
A little frustrating not being able to watch, but at least my stats didn't freeze.
This is on the Seton Hall site, ours didn't say anything, but no reason given for the cancellation:

"Seton Hall vs. Dayton Sunday Match Cancelled
The Pirates will play just two matches this weekend, Georgetown on Friday and Creighton on Saturday.

Oct. 29, 2015

The women's volleyball non-conference match between Seton Hall and Dayton, originally scheduled for 3:00 p.m. on Sunday in Walsh Gym, has been cancelled. The match will not be made up.

The Pirates will still host Georgetown on Friday and Creighton on Saturday. Both matches are scheduled to begin at 7:00 p.m. "

BeckysTXA
10-31-2015, 06:53 AM
Well I thought EVERYONE knew those Big East teams fear the Dayton Flyers...and for good reason. They must have come to their senses and bowed out. :)

BeckysTXA
10-31-2015, 07:36 AM
Also wanted to point out that Jess Sloan had a HUGE match. Very impressive. With Alaina nursing an ankle injury and therefore probably not 100% -- even tho she played -- it was critical for Jess to raise her game to keep pressure coming from out left OH position. AND BOY DID SHE from the OH2 spot. It's a team sport -- but when you go 5 sets and the first 4 are all only a couple points either way -- I think it's fair to say Jess made a HUGE contribution when her team needed it in this match.

GO Flyers!

UDBrian
10-31-2015, 08:53 AM
I couldn't have predicted that this would be a potential loss or five setter. But, coming from behind is great for confidence. It helps individual confidence as well as confidence that the team has in the staff's strategy changes.

The team must continue to improve and not let up on the gas pedal prior to the A10 tournament. They easily swept GW in the first match but the match against SLU could be interesting. SLU has quite a bit of talent but they didn't play well against UD earlier.

San Diego Flyer
10-31-2015, 09:15 AM
Blitzkrieg in the 5th - 15-6 Flyers

Need to clean up our serving

Rhody - 8 aces, 7 service errors, 3 serve receive errors

Flyers- 3 aces, 16 service errors (ouch), 8 receive errors

We outhit them .299 to .164 to offset the service problems

Seton Hall match scheduled for Sunday has been cancelled WTF?

Easy there dad. Great comeback win. :D

udisit19
10-31-2015, 10:46 AM
Very big win for the Flyers. Rhode Island played the Flyers very tough at Frericks. I was anticipating another match where Dayton would need to earn it. The serving is a troubling stat. Looks like the whole team struggled. Does anyone have more info about what happened here, or are we left to guess since we all just followed on the live stats?

Becky, you are right. Jess Sloan had a huge game. She had 15 kills and hit 0.343. Compare that to the Flyers last big game where Sloan hit only 0.188 against SLU. Or, we can compare against the home game against Rhode Island since both games were similar going to 5 sets. In the home game against URI, Alaina Turner saw 54 attempts and had 28 kills with a hit percentage of 0.333. Sloan was not much of a factor in that game seeing only 12 attempts and converting one of those attempts into a kill for a hit percentage of only 0.083. Last night Sloan had 35 attempts. That's almost three times as many attempts and she even converted at a more successful rate than Alaina did in the first meeting. Huge turn around for Sloan and it couldn't have come at a better time. And of Course Amber E. Continued to be awesome hitting 0.522. The future is bright with those two here for a while.

It's a shame the Flyers had to cancel with Seton Hall. I'm sure it is for the better given the health of the team. This was a strong non-conference match late in the season. Much better than the recent matches with EKU. I hope the Flyers can still schedule similar late non-con matches with Seton Hall.

With only two big games remaining, Dayton should be able to essentially lock up first place if they can beat GW at home (or if SLU loses to the RI Rams today). No offense to Fordham or George Mason but those games are formalities.
Posted via Mobile Device