PDA

View Full Version : IA St Match

BeckysTXA
08-31-2017, 08:37 AM
Big weekend at Frerricks. We of course are down some players, but this will be some great volleyball. ISU ranked 25th this week. Both Pitt and UD are receiving votes. Great tournament. We need Sloan back. Hopefully her foot isn't serious.

Our block will be more important than ever. If all 3 players are still out that puts us down 3 in the backrow and 2 in the front. That's tough. Players will need to step up - especially the younger players.

Lifelong Flyer Fan
08-31-2017, 09:52 AM
From conversation in the stands on Tuesday, my understanding is that Jamie (shoulder) and Laura (wrist) are not expected to play this year.

Figgie123
09-01-2017, 07:02 PM
Looks like Pla is out, but Hubacek is dressed and took serves in practice.

BeckysTXA
09-01-2017, 07:30 PM
How bad is our injury situation? I'm watching on video and it looks like even our assistant coach Alyssa is in a boot??? Can anyone confirm this?

Figgie123
09-01-2017, 07:34 PM
I think that is a student manager. Alyssa Beach's old position.

BeckysTXA
09-01-2017, 07:35 PM
ISU takes set 1 25-18. We hung in there. No JP, JS or LH in this set. Bruns is playing 6 rotations. Albarran is playing 6 rotations. To be honest, with our OH1 and OH2 out plus a senior DS we are hanging in there. We are not expected to win this match, but let's start by winning the 2nd set and getting our block going and see what happens.

BeckysTXA
09-01-2017, 07:36 PM
I think that is a student manager. Alyssa Beach's old position.

Thanks...still confirms we are deep in injuries.

Figgie123
09-01-2017, 08:10 PM
Drop second set 25-23. That hurt a little bit since we had some good momentum near the end.

BeckysTXA
09-01-2017, 08:11 PM
ISU up 2-0 after winning the second 25-23. Both teams questioned a call in the last 4 points, so I guess that's even because neither was over turned???

We only had 1 block that set and only 3 for the match. ISU has 8. That's the difference in this match. I will noted I've seen quite a few block touches by us. We need to turn those into stops to win the 3rd set.

BeckysTXA
09-01-2017, 08:53 PM
Flyers fight back after being down 18-8 in the third but drop the set 25-22 for the ISU sweep.

Sierra was out. Jess was out. Jamie was out. And Laura came in for one serve. I guarantee every coach we've played against this year respects us and feels for the program. The Iowa State coach knows they caught a huge break.

The Pitt vs ISU and UD- Pitt matches will b e very interesting.

Proud of the character of this team. They just have to stay together.

ud69
09-01-2017, 09:39 PM
Injuries or no injuries - just pathetic hitting from the pins -

Albarran - negative .227
Bruns - negative .105
Westbeld - negative .267

Blocking was terrible

It was Brown and Erhahon that even kept it close.

We hit .038 for the match. Perhaps Figgie can tell us when the last time we hit so badly .

Figgie123
09-01-2017, 10:46 PM
We hit .038 for the match. Perhaps Figgie can tell us when the last time we hit so badly .

That was the 4th worst hitting percentage since the 2007 season.

Last time .038 or worse, was Aug 30, 2014 vs Pittsburgh, which we lost 1-3, hitting .029.

#1 worst - Nebraska - Sep 13, 2013 (0-3) .010
#2 worst - Pittsburgh - Aug 30, 2014 (1-3) .029
#3 worst - Michigan State - Dec 1, 2007 (0-3) .037

Brought to you by Figstats.

Figgie123
09-01-2017, 10:47 PM
Kendyll Brown career-high 26 attempts.
Jordan Albarran career-high 13 digs.

Brought to your by Figstats.

Figgie123
09-01-2017, 10:52 PM
Lauren Bruns -.105 hitting percentage was 4th worst since the 07-08 season for a player with at least 25 attempts. Only 1 worse with at least 38 that Bruns had tonight, and that was Alaina Turner against Bowling Green in 2013 hitting -.0128. (And UD beat Bowling Green 3-1.)

BeckysTXA
09-02-2017, 07:00 AM
First match I have watched via video this year. I notice we hit a lot of balls out - both long and wide on the sides. I also thought there were a lot of tip calls. What that tells me is the Iowa State block was there a lot last night - even when they didn't get a block, it was set in front of our hitters and forced them to alter the angle or trajectory of the attack - sending the ball wide or long. Our hitters, especially our middles, are pretty good at hitting the opponents finger tips to pop the ball out of bounds for a kill via a tip call. Hitters work on that as an option when the block is set.

What I didn't see was the Roll shot where the hitter rolls the ball softly up and over the block. I also didn't see our hitters go down the line. ISU went down the line to score several times, but not our OHs. They need to work on both those shots. I was happy to see Bruns hit the cut shot several times. I don't remember her having that shot last year. She used that to avoid the block several times.

Neither Bruns or Albarran are very strong from the backrow attack, but they haven't had a lot of experience hitting that shot. I think this was the first match Bruns played 6 rotations. They are works in progress. People forget that the first two years Rachel Kraybacher was on the court (after a redshirt year) she didn't have any of these shots either. The difference was Kraybacher had great hitters that were older and more experienced on the court with her. She was our 3rd OH option those years with two first team MBs in Fletemier and Novacek also on the court. We have the two MBs but not the two OHs ahead of either Bruns or Albarran. Those two players are Sloan and Peterson. It was the same with Alaina's first two years. She didn't have all those shots and her hitting percentages those first two years was weak. The team her first two years wasn't as strong as the 2009 and 2010 teams for Kraybacher, but there was more experienced hitters on the court with Alaina.

It is what it is folks. Right now a third of our rotation players are sidelined with injuries. I give credit to those on the court for putting up a battle against ISU. I expected a blood bath and that didn't happen.

I do agree the blocking should have been better. Blocking is like rebounding. It's a mind-set and we have to bring it every set. When we do, we get blocks. Yes you have to practice it, but more importantly you have to flatout say you are going to stop Balls at the net. I did see more block touches by UD than last year. We had a bunch last night. That's a good sign. It's the first step to getting better at blocking. In 2009, we had a lot of block touches (getting our hand on the ball, but not stoping the attack with a block. Usually this pops the ball up or out.) By the end of 2009 we were a good blocking team and in 2010 we were a top 5 blocking team. We just have to get after it against Pitt on Sunday.