PDA

View Full Version : Odds and Ends

Swampy Meadows
02-09-2008, 03:41 PM
BEVERLY HILLS (MI) –- A mixed bag of content for a slushy Saturday in the Midwest:

-- Sorry to learn that highly successful UD Volleyball coach Tim Horsmon and his entire staff are leaving Dayton and headed for the Maryland Terrapins. It’s a chance to go home for TH; an opportunity to upgrade the program even further for TK. Thanks for all that you have done, Tim and good luck at Maryland.

--I posted this on the MB and thought I would toss it in here as well: click here to sign up for a free VIP pass to watch “March Madness” on-demand online:

http://ncaasports.com/mmod

-- Today is “Truck Day” in Boston…it’s when the Red Sox equipment semi pulls out of Fenway and heads south for Ft. Myers. “Truck Day” is a big deal every year in New England, even more so when the Sawx are defending champions.

-- I consulted with that eminent Orthopedic-Surgeon-to-be, the Younger Swampette, about Curt Schilling’s shoulder and she confirmed what I suspected: without surgery the Big Schill is, in a word, toast.

-- Sometimes the best trades are the ones you don’t make. Johan Santana going to the Mets means that both the Sox and the Spankees get to hold onto their prized kids and don’t have to worry about the other guys having an advantage. Everybody wins –- except for the Twins and their fans.

-- Up here in Michigan, people can’t wait for the Detroit Tigers to get rolling and with good reason. They’ve added deluxe pitcher Dontrelle “D-Train” Willis and hitting savant Miguel Cabrera from the Florida Marlins to an already potent roster and then smartly inked Curtis Granderson to a long term deal. Pizza magnate Mike Ilitch has finally learned that you gotta spend money to make it in the baseball biz.

-- If you are into cars, then check this site out:

http://jaxed.com/cgi-bin/ms.cgi

It’s an auction site “mash” which basically consolidates all of the various automobile auction sites in one place and sorts them by marque –- that’s fancy talk for make. And yes, Chris they’ve got tons of Porsches, sorted by model, no less. One caveat: this site doesn’t eliminate duplicates, so if a car is listed on more than one auction site, it will show up multiple times.

-- Coupla quick emails. A reader asked if there is a UD chatroom:

Hi,

Is there a UD chat room? If yes, how can I join?

Mark Buckley
Dallas, TX

I let Mark know that no, there isn’t one at UD Pride, but there is usually one here:

http://www.udflyers.com/chat/

I wrote to Tom Markowski of the Detroit News about his article on PW winning the Mr. PSL award:

Tom:

Hey do you think your article on the Mr. PSL winner could have possibly had a little more content about, well, the Mr. PSL winner?

As a Dayton grad, I'm elated that Paul Williams will be a Flyer this fall. However, you spent an inordinate amount of space talking about how Eric Evans (a fine player, also headed to the A-10 next year) got jobbed in the voting. He probably wouldn't have beaten out Paul for the award anyway, so I don't see your point.

Jim Meadows
Beverly Hills

To which I got this anemic response:

Congrats to Paul -- he deserved it -- I was surprised Rose was so close to winning.

The next one asks a question that will require a little research:

I happened upon your site when I Googled Negele Knight. I’m from the Detroit area, growing up in Royal Oak. Long story short, I was sitting next to a guy on a plane to Phoenix and we both played in the Catholic league eons ago. This guy remembered a very good player from St. Mary’s of Royal Oak, where I graduated. My recollection is that the guy went to college and pro. I think it was Negele Knight who graduated from DePorres…..but if my middle age memory is correct, I think he attended St. Mary’s for a year or two before it closed in the early 1980’s. Do you have any recollection or know anybody who could remember? Any help is appreciated!

Gerry Boylan

I told Gerry that I’m pretty sure Knight went to DePorres for all 4 years, but that I would check into it. I’m still searching. I did find out that both Negele and his Deporres teammate Willie Burton were inducted into the Catholic League Hall of Fame in 1990. Unfortunately, St. Martin DePorres HS has also since closed.

Old friend Chris Cage sent this note with the header “Quelle Bon Mot” (or “what a good word” in French) in response to my invoking the name of an eminent prognosticator:

Nostradami?

Is that like Salami?

Cage

I let Chris know that ‘Nostradami’ is the plural of Nostradamus.

That’s it “From the Swamp.”
You can email me at: swampy@udpride.com