PDA

View Full Version : Coaching Announcement Soon

BeckysTXA
03-05-2008, 06:54 PM
Although the University's position is they have no timeline, we've got to be getting close to an announcement -- maybe even later this week. I think they told the team they would have someone in place for the Spring season -- and that's soon.

The girls are away on Spring Break March 14-24. Classes start again Tuesday, March 25. The team will have 11 days (counting a weekend) to prepare for their first Spring tournament. If they announce a coach this week, they would at least have a couple practices next week before Spring Break. The coach could move/settle in over Spring Break while the girls are away and everyone would be ready to go to work when they come back. I would think the University is well aware of this "timeline".

The Spring schedule is suppose to be as follows (I don't think they would cancel any events???):

April 5 - @ Circle City in Indianapolis
April 12 - HOME event
April 19 - @ GLC in Chicago (Sports Performance)
April 26 - @ Cincinnati

We've got to be close to an announcement.

UDBrian
03-05-2008, 07:28 PM
That headline is quite a tease, thought it meant within the next week or two.

One of the players told me that they were told they would have a coach for the spring matches, and I assume that includes spring practices

UDBrian
03-07-2008, 01:26 PM
I hope the future coach isn't spending this weekend looking at houses. Dayton doesn't get much snow, this is a rare event :)

Avid Flyer
03-07-2008, 10:46 PM
Is there any white smoke coming out of UD campus or is it still black smoke.

Guess with the weather and all some finalist may not have made it in. Anyone mad any phone calls lately???? Hint hint.:rolleyes:

BeckysTXA
03-08-2008, 08:52 AM
The white and black smoke comment is priceless - and really funny too. I'm not Catholic but I got it right away... selecting a new Pope and all...

"Word out of Dayton" is a big "nothing yet." (I hate when that happens!) But they are hoping before they leave for Spring Break this coming Thursday night. The team has been heavy into strength and conditioning training and they were suppose to have their "max-out" this week. I'm not an expert here, but I think that means they have been on a lifting program the last month or two and they should reach their peak and lift the most during "max-out" week. I know several of the girls have really done well with this program and are getting a lot stronger. I think MSU "out-muscled" us in the NCAAs -- so this is good news.

That's all I've got.

Lynton
03-09-2008, 07:30 PM
And after the white smoke appears from the chapel, I am told there will be a team wide Text Message sent from the AD's office, stating simply: " Habemus Coachum.":)

Now, if the coach is a lady, then "Coachum" becomes "Coacham" to respect the Latin language.

vballgirl
03-13-2008, 10:21 AM
Hello everyone! It has been a few days since many have commented so I thought I would let you in on the news that I have heard. It is my understanding that the position has been offered to someone and that they are in hopes of having this person signed on before Spring Break. I would suspect that the "official" announcement might not come untill after the break. Also, I have heard that the High School Coach/Club Director that I mentioned in another thread might be close to taking on that collegiate job that he has been hoping for and it could very well be at another very successful university not too far from Dayton. This is a very exciting time. I am all giddy inside! LOL

UDBrian
03-13-2008, 10:50 AM
Vballgirl, thanks for the news. This is certainly a better weekend for house hunting than last weekend was :) I would guess that all of the finalists would make fine coaches...

You have now increased my interest on the high school/club coach. So, if that does happen please post the info. I could guess but that would be a waste of time.

BeckysTXA
03-13-2008, 03:07 PM
I'll "waste a little time"... U of Miami Ohio is probably the openning, but I have no clue on the coach. LOL

And now that bball is over at Dayton... let's get serious again about UD Volleyball. The Spring season will probably be the most watched spring ever. It will be exciting.

John R
03-13-2008, 07:57 PM
I'll "waste a little time"... U of Miami Ohio is probably the openning, but I have no clue on the coach. LOL

And now that bball is over at Dayton... let's get serious again about UD Volleyball. The Spring season will probably be the most watched spring ever. It will be exciting.

I'm serious about Volleyball since I only missed one home game last year and made it yo two away games .
However bball is far from over this year.

allflyernamesaregone
03-14-2008, 12:32 PM
Ah good, I was hoping that John R would bring his "What?" analysis from the Bball threads to Volleyball...

John R
03-14-2008, 08:26 PM
Ah good, I was hoping that John R would bring his "What?" analysis from the Bball threads to Volleyball...

No problem I'm just glad you read my posts.

UDBrian
03-16-2008, 05:38 PM
When does the team return from spring break? Do they begin practicing almost immediately for the spring schedule? Somewhere I believe that BeckysTXA said they had two weeks of practice before their first match...

BeckysTXA
03-16-2008, 08:17 PM
Right now they are to return Monday, March 24th. Their first event is Sat-Sun April 5th & 6th. If they travel on Friday the 4th -- that gives them 10-11 days to get ready.

vballgirl
03-17-2008, 07:37 AM

The coaching position that I am referring to is a Head Coaching job at a smaller school (I might know more later in the week).

I am anxiously anticipating some formal announcement for UD. OU has made their announcement. It is time for UD to do the same.

BeckysTXA
03-17-2008, 08:15 AM
IF it's the NE-KEarney guy and he didn't leave NE before today -- he's snowed in. We got hit with about 8 inches and 1-3 more expected today of ice and snow.

UDBrian
03-19-2008, 02:58 PM
Does anyone think the new coach will be introduced tonight at the NIT game?

Edo
03-20-2008, 03:29 AM
Ted Kissel was the guest on the Flyer Feedback post-game basketball show Wednesday--and a great guest at that. He was asked a question along the lines of how to get good coaches to stay at UD. His answer was something like if a coach comes for money he or she will leave for money. What he is trying to do is make UD a goal where someone will want to come, succeed AND stay.
With all this being said, I was hanging on every word he was saying because he was oh so close to naming the new volleyball coach--even if it was not the formal announcement and more of a slip of the tongue. He could have said something like . . . "And this is exactly what we hope will happen with our newest coach (fill in name) for the volleyball program". But alas, it didn't happen.
More patience is needed.

Chris R
03-20-2008, 02:41 PM
Take a look at the Albany coach.

vballgirl
03-20-2008, 03:09 PM
I cannot tell you who it is but I know that it has been accepted. The reason that I know this is because they have now posted an opening for an assistant coach. This would not be done until after the Head Coach is hired.

BeckysTXA
03-20-2008, 04:39 PM
CHRIS -- I'm thinking you've got some nice Christian-Easter message up and then I do a double take and only now stopped laughing -- that picture is priceless!

ud69
03-20-2008, 10:12 PM
Take a look at the Albany coach.

And this is what I see...

http://www.ualbanysports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=70283&SPID=7998&DB_OEM_ID=15800&ATCLID=1213001&Q_SEASON=2007

AEmilk22
03-21-2008, 12:30 PM
I have a good sense that Kelly Sheffield did take the job. I had the privileged right to meet them out one night when they were out to dinner. I guess it was his second interview and brought his wife. I created small talk and found out he was in for the volleyball coach job. Welcome Coach!

Avid Flyer
03-21-2008, 10:27 PM
I have a good sense that Kelly Sheffield did take the job. I had the privileged right to meet them out one night when they were out to dinner. I guess it was his second interview and brought his wife. I created small talk and found out he was in for the volleyball coach job. Welcome Coach!

Impressions!!!!

ud69
03-24-2008, 08:04 PM
Probable press conference on new coach tomorrow.

vballgirl
03-24-2008, 11:43 PM
3:30 pm press conference is scheduled to announce new coach on March 25th.

ud69
03-25-2008, 05:34 PM
http://www.ualbanysports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=15800&ATCLID=1418997

Welcome Coach. Big things are expected but probably no bigger than what you expect.

Now - Even more so.

http://daytonflyers.cstv.com/sports/w-volley/spec-rel/032508aab.html

UDBrian
03-25-2008, 06:22 PM
I like what I have read concerning his recruiting and player development. When he was the recruiting coordinator at Virginia they had a #6 class. His team at Albany is not nearly as tall as UD so I would expect that he runs a faster style offense. I believe Albany's RPI improved from something like 250 to 40 while he was there. For UD to reach another level we are talking about moving to elite, top 15 status...

ud69
03-25-2008, 09:52 PM
http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/mplayer/sports/77607

DetroitFlyer
03-26-2008, 09:10 AM
My friends at Albany tell me that he would send out a weekly Email to fans of the program. I wonder if he will continue that tradition here?

vballgirl
03-26-2008, 10:47 AM
Welcome to Ohio Coach Sheffield! I am very glad the announcement has been made and it is now time to get down to business.

UDBrian
03-26-2008, 05:32 PM
It was nice to have a couple of players comment. Besides having beautiful eyes Kacie and Tiffany did a great job. Tiffany's comment about wanting someone to tell them where to go was classic...

ud69
03-27-2008, 05:29 PM
Any word on the assistant coaches?

The Albany lead assistant was named their interim head coach - so I assume she stays. There was also a rookie assistant at Albany. Don't know if she is ready for the lead assistant role yet. UD has the assistant job posted with an April 2nd closing date. My guess is that Coach Sheffield has a pretty good idea what he wants to do since he had about 10 days after accepting the job before the official announcement. One would think he spent that time lining up his assistants. With spring matches close at hand, no time to waste.

UDBrian
03-27-2008, 05:48 PM
Is there an opening for one assistant or two assistants? I wonder if Christy or another former player might be after that job?

Chris R
03-27-2008, 05:58 PM
Adrienne was looking at getting into the discipline before Horsmon left. Hopefully the new staff will still consider her for one of those.

UDBrian
03-27-2008, 06:06 PM
I could picture Adrienne being a coach. I noticed her having several strategy discussions with the coaches during time outs, too bad I'm not a lip reader... I think she has a very good feel for the game, especially on defense.

Avid Flyer
03-27-2008, 09:11 PM
I could picture Adrienne being a coach. I noticed her having several strategy discussions with the coaches during time outs, too bad I'm not a lip reader... I think she has a very good feel for the game, especially on defense.

No doubt Adrianne would be great as a coach....but she will have to limit the heights of her jumps after a big win:p

UDBrian
03-28-2008, 09:59 AM
I hope Adrienne doesn't stop her jumping, that would get her on ESPN as a coach. :)

Do you know if Adrienne is going to continue with grad school? If so, could she be a graduate assistant?

UDBrian
03-30-2008, 09:31 AM
If anyone hears comments about the practices please let us know.

Vballgirl, did the high school/club coach get the job you were hoping for?

vballgirl
04-02-2008, 10:22 AM
It is looking good for the coach that I mentioned but nothing is official yet. The university is changing a few things for the better making the process take a little longer. It is my understanding that it could still be a couple of weeks. I will let you know as soon as something is official.

BeckysTXA
04-02-2008, 11:08 AM
Hiring people isn't what it use to be. These days it does take longer because schools have to do things they never had to do in the "old days". Most institutions down to elementary schools have to run background check, drug test, financial audits, and other similar things they didn't do 10 years ago. That usually happens AFTER they make an offer (contingent on the above turning up nothing). If the person accept the offer with those terms, THEN they run the checks/test, etc. That can take a week or two. It just isn't like it use to be - not sure if that's good or bad -- but it's nice to know places like UD take this stuff seriously and make sure all the i's are dotted and t's crossed.

vballgirl
06-15-2008, 11:51 PM
I just wanted to let you know that my friend has accepted the Head Coaching Position at Cedarville University. The official announcement should come by the end of this next week.

UDBrian
06-16-2008, 09:37 AM
Thanks. I did a quick check and they have had 19 all americans, that is a good program.