PDA

View Full Version : OT - But Interesting.... Football at WSU?

DetroitFlyer
03-27-2008, 10:18 AM
http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/chickludwig/

FOOTBALL AT WRIGHT STATE?!

I’m receiving telephone calls and emails from Wright State fans clamoring for the Raiders football!

The original blueprint for the Nutter Center property called for a football stadium. Several studies on football have been conducted over the years, but faculty and staff keep squelching the idea because of budget and gender equity concerns.

I understand that the cost would be enormous, and more women’s sports would have to be added to offset the number of male participants in football.

But it sure is a delicious idea.

Just imagine what football would do for school spirit and student morale on autumn Saturday afternoons?

I heard a lot of talk at Mike Cusack’s retirement that “the sky’s the limit” for WSU athletics; that the university is committed to student welfare, diversity and gender equity.

Well, if that’s the case, I believe the next AD should have the vision to see NCAA I-AA football on the horizon.

“I’d love to see football at Wright State,” said Joe Hardwick of Washington Twp. “It would be a wonderful thing. That would really make Wright State a nice university.”

Opening game of the 2012 season in 30,000 seat “Raider Stadium”… Eastern Kentucky at Wright State.

Would it be good or bad for the Flyers to have another FCS football team across town? I think it would be good! We do not really recruit the same type of students. I think a yearly game against WSU would be very cool, even if they are a full scholarship FCS program.

Heck, maybe they can negotiate a deal to play in a high school stadium in order to save a bit of money.... LOL!!

bobber
03-30-2008, 01:13 AM
Consider the source here. It is, after all, C. Ludwig.

WSU can't afford football. Ludwig even has them opening their 30K seat stadium with Eastern Kentucky, meaning scholly football. That would be really, really expensive. Unless I misread everything I've seen coming out of WSU, the money just isn't there. And do you honestly think WSU can afford a 30K seat stadium? Heck, do you think they could come anywhere near filling a high school stadium (and I don't include Welcome at 11K as a h/s stadium) given their attendance track record in other sports?