PDA

View Full Version : Spring Game Rescheduled

ud69
04-08-2008, 12:32 PM
http://daytonflyers.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/040808aaa.html

DetroitFlyer
04-08-2008, 12:44 PM
Much easier for me to make than a 7:00 PM Friday start.... I'm really looking forward to getting my first peak at the 2008 Flyers.

Thanks for the "heads up".

Flyer Gramps
04-08-2008, 04:14 PM
What the hey is going on with that program management?

Pet reservations, motels in three cities and two states, people to be notified...lots to REDO! Thanks a lot UD football!!!

Look at the freakin schedule that Dayton Public Schools has for their facility you use...PLEASE!

You are collegiate you know! This smacks of amateurism! I can't believe it! And the UDPride basketball threads worry about rumors. Heck we have official announcements over here that are false! Doubt if I'll ever waste my time calling the Atheletics Communication office for info in the future.

And more news to follow...not sure I want to hear more. I'm pis***********

smitch425
04-08-2008, 04:15 PM
I think I remember them having a free cookout at the spring game last year. Does anyone know if they will be doing it again or if the Flyers Club will be doing anything?

John R
04-08-2008, 04:28 PM
I think I remember them having a free cookout at the spring game last year. Does anyone know if they will be doing it again or if the Flyers Club will be doing anything?

Not sure about that I will check it out and let you know

The Flyers Club does have one August every year.

DetroitFlyer
04-08-2008, 06:16 PM
that this might cause you some trouble..... It is hard to imagine why something like scheduling a game could be so difficult. No doubt about who owns and controls good ole Welcome Stadium. You know, if we had our own stadium, we would not have these problems.... Just an idea....

What the hey is going on with that program management?

Pet reservations, motels in three cities and two states, people to be notified...lots to REDO! Thanks a lot UD football!!!

Look at the freakin schedule that Dayton Public Schools has for their facility you use...PLEASE!

You are collegiate you know! This smacks of amateurism! I can't believe it! And the UDPride basketball threads worry about rumors. Heck we have official announcements over here that are false! Doubt if I'll ever waste my time calling the Atheletics Communication office for info in the future.

And more news to follow...not sure I want to hear more. I'm pis***********

Flyer Gramps
04-09-2008, 01:09 PM
This spring game change may have been caused by something other than the borrowed stadium that is used. That would be the first place to look before planning a spring game; right?

But maybe further down the checklist was the tent or equipment or staff needed for that cookout. Maybe tents are in short supply in Dayton. Anyhow, Sunday is the day. I've picked up all the broken stuff in the office and changed all the reservations. Replaced the April calendar page with a new one with pencil printed notes. Amen!

goflyers001
04-09-2008, 07:41 PM
I did get to see last night's practice. There were a few people there. Great to see the action. The defense looked really solid; far ahead of the offense at this point. Well coached and disciplined. I was impressed.

Flyer Gramps
04-09-2008, 08:52 PM
I did get to see last night's practice. There were a few people there. Great to see the action. The defense looked really solid; far ahead of the offense at this point. Well coached and disciplined. I was impressed.

Mr. 001, this is an insufficient report. Please add to it or fail this course!

What part of the defense is ahead? line, LB, CB's?

What about the receivers? Watkins out means others get to play like little Millio (#34)and they're using a DB named James Ward (#45) as receiver.

Is QB Florian (#12) just throwing from pocket or any rollouts? Who's 2nd QB (#18 & #4)?

Any running backs besides Shappie (#32)?

Any kicking? Punt returning (#18)?

Were they on the carpet or grass?

charger one
04-10-2008, 10:17 PM
Mr. 001, this is an insufficient report. Please add to it or fail this course!

What part of the defense is ahead? line, LB, CB's?

What about the receivers? Watkins out means others get to play like little Millio (#34)and they're using a DB named James Ward (#45) as receiver.

Is QB Florian (#12) just throwing from pocket or any rollouts? Who's 2nd QB (#18 & #4)?

Any running backs besides Shappie (#32)?

Any kicking? Punt returning (#18)?

Were they on the carpet or grass?

I have heard Watkins is starting to do sprints so he is healing and well on the road to recovery.Yes James Ward is working at receiver.2nd QB is #18 Valentino but he is also working at receiver. They are still workingout on the carpet.
As far as running backs I will assume#41 Zapinski will be moving up this year.

DetroitFlyer
04-11-2008, 08:57 AM
The thought of 5' 9" Florian completing a big gainer to 5' 9" Millio is just too cool. I was at Jacksonville when Rob had his great game, so I know he has the arm. Many have told me that he actually throws on the run better than Kevin! I have to admit to being concerned about his height.... I seem to recall several batted balls last season. I hope that in the spread, we get him moving.... I think having a Millio out there could be deadly. Bubble screen and big gains after the catch. Effectively using Justin as another RB. Also, having both Rob and Steve on the field at the same time could open up some interesting possibilities for good ole DW! ( Remember Kevin's TD catch against Albany )?

How does the offensive line look so far? I feel OK about the defense going in, ( of course I felt that way back in 2006 ), but I am always concerned about our typically undersized line.... We need to give Rob some time as I do not think he can scramble as well as Kevin. If we can give him some time, he could have a huge season.

Exciting times.

And, I did hear from a reliable source that the Gridiron Classic is a go for 2008 and 2009!

Flyer Gramps
04-11-2008, 11:38 AM
Thanks CHARGER, I needed that bit of input. Going stir-crazy for football! You keep up with these posts and you will certainly obtain a passing grade here!

Zapinski should do well but my thought differs from that of DF in that Millio would be my scatback, something that never happened for Bo Balogun. Watkins & Collins should still be key receivers in the fall but this is a chance to try others. The fastest of the bunch is still Valentino (4.44 now) and he did catch 22 passes in HS as a safety so he has the hands & leap. But what will happen with a possession receiver tight end to replace the Nordonia Knight - Champa?

Yes, the O-line. We need the CHARGER to look at that for us. I think Blake Bikowski at center will be the hardest to replace even though he was small.

Should be a bit of culture shock for us this season after back-to-backs with large numbers of returning starters and that huge group of 5th years guys in 2007. The uniform numbers may be on the field but different participants in them.

We all should be happy with the Field Turf and of course disappointed with all the lettering on it. Glad to hear about the Gridiron Classic but disappointed that it will be in the East. Here's hoping the cold wave leaves early next week.

DetroitFlyer
04-11-2008, 01:42 PM
I gather that Rick is going to handle the defense and not have a coordinator? If so, it would seem as though we "lost" a coaching position....

Now that the schedule is out, can the recruit list be far behind?

And another question for our eyes on the ground in Dayton.... How are the kickers doing this Spring? Anyone looking vastly improved from the fall? How about Kenton Froebe, (96) or Robert Kaebnick, (94)?

Flyer Gramps
04-11-2008, 04:59 PM
Lose a football coaching position, gain an Associate Athletics Director.

That's learning from Business & Industry.

DetroitFlyer
04-11-2008, 05:13 PM
Lose a football coaching position, gain an Associate Athletics Director.

That's learning from Business & Industry.

Of course I was hoping that was not the case, but time will tell....

goflyers001
04-11-2008, 10:02 PM
Sorry for my lack of specific detail on the practice. I did see the entire practice which started at roughly 8 pm. I do not know many of the players by name. The practice jerseys were not the same numbers as their game uniforms. Offense wore white, defense red, QB's wore green, kickers wore blue. The defense overall was very effective, from the line to the secondary. No glaring weaknesses at all, very solid. Offense had a difficult time moving the ball. Little running effectiveness, swing passes were mildly successful. Lots of kicking before and after the o vs. d activities. I saw three place kickers, one was very good. Punting will still need some work. This is as good as I can get for now. Honestly, I am new to Flyers football, but will be with it intensively now for at least four years.

goflyers001
04-11-2008, 10:03 PM
Practice was on the turf at Welcome Stadium.

Flyer Gramps
04-12-2008, 10:28 AM
Practice was on the turf at Welcome Stadium.

Much better Agent 001. You have a passing grade now. Apparently you saw a "colorfull" practice. I knew about the "green" QB's and thay will be that way at the Spring game. But "blue" kickers are interesting. They tend to be a subdued lot anyway.

It seems to be difficult for our offense to operate against our defense and that was the case in the last Spring Game too. Too much familiarity as to what could happen on each play. Too much pass rush pressure. Too much close pass route coverage. That's why there ought to be a trick play now & then, not just at the end. Let's just hope that our "little" guys put some blocks on the opponents rush and open a wee hole every few plays.

charger one
04-12-2008, 11:17 PM
Thanks CHARGER, I needed that bit of input. Going stir-crazy for football! You keep up with these posts and you will certainly obtain a passing grade here!

Zapinski should do well but my thought differs from that of DF in that Millio would be my scatback, something that never happened for Bo Balogun. Watkins & Collins should still be key receivers in the fall but this is a chance to try others. The fastest of the bunch is still Valentino (4.44 now) and he did catch 22 passes in HS as a safety so he has the hands & leap. But what will happen with a possession receiver tight end to replace the Nordonia Knight - Champa?

Yes, the O-line. We need the CHARGER to look at that for us. I think Blake Bikowski at center will be the hardest to replace even though he was small.

Should be a bit of culture shock for us this season after back-to-backs with large numbers of returning starters and that huge group of 5th years guys in 2007. The uniform numbers may be on the field but different participants in them.

We all should be happy with the Field Turf and of course disappointed with all the lettering on it. Glad to hear about the Gridiron Classic but disappointed that it will be in the East. Here's hoping the cold wave leaves early next week.

Well some more early info from the flyer practice field. It looks like # 42 Bergfeld is stepping up to try to Fill Champas shoes which will be hard to do.
As far as the o-line they are working hard but the consenses is they will be ready #58 Scheidler and #69 Overman are workingout at center they are bigger.
Now for the kicking game it is still up in the air (no pun intended) but walk-on#93 Miller is doing a great job at punter.
On defense they have moved #29 Horcher an #27 Smyth to safety to fill Cramers spot since Ward went to reciever with #36 Van Aston moving in a DB
On the coaching front the flyers have brought in a new safety's coach Landon Fox I dont have to much info on him But I believe that was to position coach Kelly worked with.
I know all this could change once the 2 a days start and we see who did there work over the summer but it is a start for the spring.
See ya all at the spring game I have heard they are going to have a great ring ceremony

comebackkids0708
04-14-2008, 12:41 AM
Coach Fox is a former UD coach('01-'03 I think, not 100% positive) who spent the last few years at Ball State and Wayne State(Detroit Area College). He coached D-Line in his last stint with the Flyers but will coach the secondary this time around. The last Flyer class that would remember Coach Fox is the class that graduated in '06. While these Flyers aren't familiar with Coach Fox, the same can't be said for Coach Fox and the UD program. He is very aware of the Flyers tradition and the type of player the coaches look for which I think was big in the search to fill the vacancy. While I don't think Coach Chamberlin will relinquish the D-Coordinator position right away if anyone is in line to take it whenever he does I would believe Coach Fox is that person. Not sure if anyone remembers but if I recall correct Coach Kelly said one of the hardest things he had to do was turn the Defensive calls over to Coach Chamberlin which you would think is going to be the same scenario this time around. Let's all welcome Coach Fox back to the UD program.

On a side note I was looking at Wayne States coaching staff(for more information on Coach Fox) and saw that another former Flyer is on the staff. Offvensive Line Coach Terry Heffernan, played for the flyers from '99-'03. Sounds like theres a connection with UD football and the Detroit area that goes deepers then DF and UDpride, :) . Now did DF have anything to do with Coach Fox's hiring?!?!

UDBrian
04-17-2008, 08:52 AM
I heard a good advertisement for the spring game and free cookout on the radio last night. Will be interesting to see how many people show up. There is a good chance I will bring my nephew and a 'friend'. I don't know if that will be a girl or someone he plays baseball with.:)

Flyer Gramps
04-17-2008, 10:56 AM
We should expect a much different spring game Sunday compared to last season. Instead of just honing skills, we're looking for starters and first backups. As I said before, the same uniform numbers on the field but new bodies inside. Just watching the webmaster redo the roster has been daily fun. The boys have really been busy snapping up the new uniform numbers that became available with the graduates gone.

We've read about a number of position changes that was less an issue last year. The wide receiver position lost only four players (Freshwater, Fuerst, O'Dell & Ruhe) but the injury to Watkins meant another hole. So we see the coaches working 8 others at WR (Jonard, Collins, Valentino, Ward, Millio, Mackovjak, Caruso & Papp). I suppose coaches are looking for someone to stand out in this group. Earlier, charger one pointed out that Bergfeld would have to replace Champa. Amazingly, he is the only listed TE as Medve moved to tackle. Watch out for who plays TE on the team without Bergfeld. Rob Florian & Bobby Dobry will probably get the most snaps at QB.

I don't expect to see much scoring unless there are some break-away runs; the defense can often tell what is coming next. We don't have a scat-back RB so a score would require a number of plays in a drive. So here's hoping a few trick plays can keep the defense more honest and that one of these WR's can get deep. I still worry about scoring by way of a kicker.

UDBrian is excited about coming with his nephew and friend (whoever it is) and smitch is preparing for the "mad dash from church". DF is glad the game time changed. Yes, this is the football excitement we need each spring just to get us through until August. For me smitch, I got a dispensation and will make my mad dash along I-70 on Sunday morn from friends in the east part of the state. Go Flyers, all of you!

DetroitFlyer
04-17-2008, 02:42 PM
It looks it will be me, my wife and son. My daughter has to work.... Bummer. Oh well, we are coming down on Saturday so we should get a good visit in with her anyway. She graduates in May and then on to grad school.... Yikes, I cannot possibly be that old....

Interesting that Dobry is back in the mix. It will be very interesting to see how the offense plays. It looks like we have some big holes to fill, so hopefully we see some kids step up. That TE thing is scary. Champa was such a clutch guy last year....

I hope our kickers are coming along. I will miss O'Dell's unique punting style, but I could live with a good traditional punter.... As for place kicking, let's just hope that every kick is not an adventure.

See you Sunday! Safe travels to all.

GO FLYERS!!!!!!!

smitch425
04-17-2008, 05:28 PM
smitch is preparing for the "mad dash from church". DF is glad the game time changed. Yes, this is the football excitement we need each spring just to get us through until August. For me smitch, I got a dispensation and will make my mad dash along I-70 on Sunday morn from friends in the east part of the state. Go Flyers, all of you!

I sooo looked up dispensation in the dictionary. I actually figured it out from the context, but I had to be sure.:) Thank goodness I go to the contemporary service at our church. I don't think I could get away with wearing my football jersey to the more traditional service!:eek: hahaha