PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Schedule

BeckysTXA
04-27-2008, 07:31 AM
I popped out to the other A-10 websites and nothing's posted for next year yet. Probably waiting for the A-10 office to approve the conference portion of the schedule. School is out Friday at Dayton. I would hope it's out this week. My guess is it's a lot tougher early on than last year. We know Dayton's Invitational is tougher with 3 NCAA qualifiers from last year.

allflyernamesaregone
04-27-2008, 10:34 PM
I've heard that we're playing Northwestern at Frericks...

BeckysTXA
04-28-2008, 07:51 PM
Cool! I hope so. One of Becky's JO club teammates is at NWestern. I thought she'd get to see her during the last two tournaments this spring -- but we cancelled so that didn't work out.

Aside from that, the vball program at NW has been a little down the last 2-3 years -- but it's a big name school and having a home match with them will be good for UD's program.

John C.
05-01-2008, 10:45 AM
It is my understanding that they will be playing at Arizona State.

BeckysTXA
05-02-2008, 08:07 AM
That will be really nice for John --- I'm sure you'll love getting to see the 2008 team play. Hopefully we'll avoid anymore serious injuries and Lindsay will be ready to play sometime in the fall. It looks like Yvonne is probably out -- but you never know how re-hab goes, so there is hope both will be back.

Saw on Ohio's website, we play them Nov 28th.

Right now it looks like our non-conference schedule is stacking up to be pretty tough -- as expected. We have Purdue, Miami, and Louisville (all NCAA qualifiers last year) coming to the Dayton Invitational. Plus Ohio (NCAA Qualifier) and we've heard Northwestern and Arizonia State are on the schedule. Both these teams had average records last year, but they are major D1 schools and certainly tougher teams than our pre-conference schedule last year. And from a recruiting perspective -- they look really good on our schedule.

There will be a lot more non-conference teams added here, but as a point of reference, last year's non-conference schedule consisted of 20 teams with final RPIs of 20 (Purdue) to 266 for an average of 117. The 6 teams listed above averaged an RPI of 40. So far it's stacking up to be a tough non-conference schedule.

ud69
05-07-2008, 08:30 AM
Write-Up:
http://daytonflyers.cstv.com/sports/w-volley/spec-rel/050708aaa.html

Schedule:
http://daytonflyers.cstv.com/sports/w-volley/sched/dayt-w-volley-sched.html

In Tempe on 8/29 and 8/30. Mad Dog better be ready. :)

Avid Flyer
05-07-2008, 09:09 AM
Great schedule, and a bonus for ol Avid, the A-10 tourney here in St. Louis. :beermug: :clap: :rimshot:or as SDF would say :banana:

BeckysTXA
05-07-2008, 06:41 PM
First I'm thrilled for Mad Dog and Avid. Both are great fans and it's wonderful they will get a chance to see the 2008 team in action.

My first impression is I think this is a good schedule. Not great in terms of non-conference foes, but good and a step up from last year. We can't do anything about the conference schedule, although last year the A-10 didn't fare too badly in terms of RPI when it was all said and done. But to help us, we need a good non-conference schedule and this one is just that. Last year's non-conf teams averaged an RPI of 117. Based on the final RPI from last year, these non-conf opponents average 99. There are 324 D1 teams -- so it's good to have this average under 108 -- in the top third.

We have 11 non-conf teams that finished above 100, 4 teams in the 100's and only 3 teams in the 200's and none in the 300's. My only disappointment is Dayton finished last year with an RPI of 14. We have no team on the schedule ranked higher than that. The closest two are UNLV at 18 and Purdure at 20. Last year there were several on the schedule and we beat them all. I would have liked to have seen Middle TN, Florida, St John's, Wisconsin or Penn State in the mix. One of those and it would have been a great non-conf schedule.

What I really do like about this schedule: 1 - we got really good teams coming to Dayton to play in our two tourneys' That's a big compliment to our standing in the vball world. 2. We've got some great D1 schools on the schedule -- ASU, Northwestern, Purdue, UNLV, Illinois -- big time BCS schools that look GREAT on a schedule when a recruit is doing their homework on Dayton. 3. I think this is a very good schedule for our 2008 team because we will have so many new starters. It's a nice mix of teams that will challenge us and teams we should handle -- which will give our incoming freshman a our Flyer Five chance to play and learn. 4. I like there are 14 home matches vs 10 last year. 5. I like the 9 NCAA qualifiying teams - that's strong.

And since one of our toughest matches will be the Alumni Match to start the year off, I wonder if we can get that team RPI'ed????

UDBrian
05-07-2008, 06:59 PM
First I'm thrilled for Mad Dog and Avid. Both are great fans and it's wonderful they will get a chance to see the 2008 team in action.

I think this is a very good schedule for our 2008 team because we will have so many new starters. It's a nice mix of teams that will challenge us and teams we should handle -- which will give our incoming freshman a our Flyer Five chance to play and learn.

Enjoy watching the team play Mad Dog and Avid, I am hoping to attend all of the home matches to keep up with John R!

I agree 100% on the schedule. It is not a given that the freshmen and sophomores will see lots of playing time but the opportunity is there for them. Allowing them to play against great competition prior to the A10 is very important. I think that as a vball fan this coming season is going to be a lot of fun. I expect continuous improvement throughout the season.

ud69
06-04-2008, 06:34 PM
Looks pretty strong as well

http://slubillikens.cstv.com/sports/w-volley/spec-rel/060408aaa.html

John R
06-04-2008, 06:42 PM
Great schedule, and a bonus for ol Avid, the A-10 tourney here in St. Louis. :beermug: :clap: :rimshot:or as SDF would say :banana:

I guess we have a place to stay then? LOL

BeckysTXA
06-19-2008, 09:42 AM
Someone asked awhile back about the first day of practice. I did a little research on the NCAA rules. It's a calculation backwards from the first day of competition and factors in when classes start. You get "29 practice units". You don't count Sundays. Everyday classes are in session you count 1 unit and before that you count 2 units. Basically it looks like UD can start preseason practice on August 8th. That equals 28 practice units, but I don't think you can start the 7th -- even if you scheduled only one practice. Also, I think the days before classes start they actually have 3-a-days???? But it counts as 2 practice units. I think we are still 7 weeks away from preseason practices. Once we get through the July 4th holiday -- let's hope the time goes a lot faster. The off-season is killing me!

F 8/29 - First Match
Th 8/28 - 1
W 8/27 - 1
T 8/26 - 1
M 8/25 - 1
Su 8/24 - 0
Sa 8/23 - 1
F 8/22 - 1
Th 8/21 - 1
W 8/20 - 1 (Classes Start)
T 8/19 - 2
M 8/18 - 2
Su 8/17 - 0
Sa 8/16 - 2
F 8/15 - 2
Th 8/14 - 2
W 8/13 - 2
T 8/12 - 2
M 8/11 - 2
Su 8/10 - 0
Sa 8/9 - 2
F 8/8 - 2 (First day of practices)
Th 8/7 - Report - "Move-in" day

UDBrian
06-21-2008, 07:56 PM
I wonder if the vball team will have a Red/Blue game similar to the football team where they have an outdoor grill with burgers and dogs prior to the match.

Lynton
06-21-2008, 11:00 PM
,,,not blowing in the wind.:)

The answer may depend on the occupants of 233, and the goodwill of the parents who have pickups, Weber grills and other items necesary for a tailgate party.

Hint hint, nudge nudge, wink wink:)

BeckysTXA
06-22-2008, 08:14 AM
That's a shame since it could be a big bash. I noticed the women's soccer team is also playing that night in an exhibition at 8 pm - starting before the 8:30 pm red/blue vball exhibition. Both start so late you would think SOMEONE would fire up a grill or two. I think it's the start times are unusual??? Someone said the students wouldn't be back on campus yet???? I'm not sure why they are so late other than maybe with 3-a-days that's the third time slot???? Maybe someone can fill in the blanks here??? You would think the programs have something planned or they would have made them 7-7:30 starts????

UDBrian
06-22-2008, 11:50 AM
Maybe Meijer, National City or another corporate sponsor could help out with the food but a more private tailgate is a great idea. I wonder if they would let this happen in the parking lot right next to the Frerick's center.

I might regret mentioning this but I have a hog roaster that can roast a good size hog in eight hours but it is quite a bit of work, particularly the day before. The guy down the street roasted five hindquarters to get 40 pounds of pulled pork on Friday night.

I also have another grill which is a 55 gallon drum split length wise which can be used for chicken or burgers or brats etc.

Would the Red/Blue game or the Alumni game be the best time for this?