PDA

View Full Version : Lakers going to sign B-Rob?

UDF4N4LIF3
07-29-2008, 08:35 PM
The Los Angeles Lakers have a relatively low-key entry at this year's NBA Summer League in Las Vegas. Selecting at the very bottom the draft at 58, the Lakers don't have a heralded first-round pick to introduce. Instead the most well-known participant may be the team's 15th man, Coby Karl.

To that end, the team has sent out Los Angeles D-Fenders Head Coach Dan Panaggio instead of on the usual cadre of Laker assistant coaches.

Nonetheless the Lakers have a number of interesting prospects likely to get camp invites and a chance to make the team. In addition to Karl, the squad includes 58th pick Joe Crawford, forward Pat Calathes and guard Brian Roberts.

Roberts was one of the players the Lakers seriously considered drafting. At 6'2", Roberts hails from Dayton and is a noted three-point shooter (44.1% career).

After making a strong impression on the Lakers pre-draft, Roberts was disappointed not to get selected but hopes to prove himself in Vegas.

"I had a good workout with them before the draft. They really liked my game," said Robert to HOOPSWORLD's Bill Ingram. "I just want to go out and show them that I can play in this offense; that it's a good offense for me. I just want to fit in."

It's generally difficult for the Lakers to field an effective team quickly considering the complexity of the triangle offense. They tend to play better as a unit after a few games together.

"It's been a challenge just to get here and learn the offense within a two-day span," continued Robert. "From the first day I think I've gotten better with it. It's been a challenge, but I'm stepping up to it."

In Vegas, Roberts says he is working on "controlling the game - point guard skills. In the triangle it's s a lot of cutting and moving which is a part of my strength, [as is] my ability to shoot and use my quickness."

Through two games, Roberts is still looking to show the Lakers that he's up for the challenge.

"Out here in summer league, everybody is fighting for a job," said Roberts. "I'm just coming out and trying to do what I can."

It's difficult to anticipate the Lakers' complete 2008-09 roster at this early date. Negotiations continue with restricted free agent Sasha Vujacic. Arguably the team's backcourt will continue to feature Kobe Bryant, Derek Fisher, Jordan Farmar and Vujacic. In addition to Karl, Crawford and Roberts the team may also bring in Chinese guard Sun Yue.

Competition could be fierce with probably just a single roster spot available for a young, developing guard.

hUDygrad
07-29-2008, 09:33 PM
Isn't this news about a month old? I thought Brob has signed to play in Europe.

bosoxrule
07-29-2008, 09:42 PM
Isn't this news about a month old? I thought Brob has signed to play in Europe.

You are correct.

John the Bomb
07-30-2008, 12:38 PM
You guys are right. This is definitely old news. BRob is thinking about signing with Israel of the Euro Summer League. It was mentioned on this UD Pride on the subject of Brian Roberts Summer League.

Flyer Al
07-30-2008, 06:33 PM
Brian is on the roster for Hapeol Elyon

http://www.eurobasket.com/team.asp?Cntry=ISR&Team=85

Looks like their season is very short (Brian's new team went 10-17 last year) and starts around late October.

John R should approve of Brian's choice. They wear red.

THirt
07-30-2008, 07:35 PM
That's funny that they have his freshman picture up there. Got the braids working. Was a good call to get rid of those.

squirt
07-31-2008, 12:51 PM
Panaggio will put you on the bench quick if you don't play D, or force up a bad shot. He stopped a scrimmage one time in mid transition after I bricked a 20 footer in a one on three situation. Made me sit on the ground at the end of the bench not on the chair

UDaMan
08-02-2008, 02:54 PM
The unlikely chance of Brob to play with the Lakers just got more unliklely. They just signed guard Dwayne Mitchell from the D league. He was on the summer team with BRob and I thought he was a pretty solid player - but more of a Marcus Johnson slashing type. They also resigned guard Sasha Vujacic a 6-7 player that shot .437 from the 3 pt line last year with the Lakers.

Flyer 86
08-02-2008, 03:33 PM
Panaggio will put you on the bench quick if you don't play D, or force up a bad shot. He stopped a scrimmage one time in mid transition after I bricked a 20 footer in a one on three situation. Made me sit on the ground at the end of the bench not on the chair

thats a great story, thanks! not even on a chair....

do u still do that, or didya learn? :)

squirt
08-04-2008, 10:00 AM
You know actually I did the same thing at the Kettering Y last week amidst a 1-25 performance over 5 exhausting games last week. Brick city again and my teammates did not even say a word. Seems like I am playing with the right level of competition now!

keats '91
08-04-2008, 11:32 AM
Squirt,
I noticed your a Springboro guy.

If you hit 1 for 25 over 5 weeks in Kettering league, then do I have an offer for you.
6:15 AM at the Springboro YMCA on Monday, Wednesday, and/or Friday. We need you.

We have pool of about 20 guys that play before work, usually enough to get 5 on 5 any given day. I know of at least 3 devote Flyer fans in the group, could be more.

And if you can cast up ONLY 5 shots on average, then we want you to play in the morning.
I assume you can manage to post at least 3~4 turnovers while hitting your shooting average?

You would be a welcomed addition to our crew.....
And it only takes about 3 months for the whole 'getting up to play ball before work' thing to become somewhat habit forming.