View Full Version : Football picnic

John R
07-29-2008, 10:10 PM
Sunday August 17th

W need workers to be at the Arena between 12:15 and 12:30

Do not come before 12:15.

DetroitFlyer
07-30-2008, 08:21 AM
As always, I appreciate the yearly "heads up". As far as I know, I should be able to make it again this year. I have become somewhat expert at the pop serving counter, LOL! I'm sure glad football season is just around the corner!

smitch425
07-30-2008, 10:12 AM
I gathered from last year's thread that this is a player/player's families event put on by the Flyer Club. The hubby and I are members, but due to having small kids we haven't made it to any meetings. Can you tell me what "working", and where the food comes from? We might be able to help if we knew more about it. I have heard that what is said at Flyers Club stays at Flyers Club, but if you could help me (even via a PM) that would be great. Thanks!:D

DetroitFlyer
07-30-2008, 10:22 AM
The Flyers Club basically sponsers a cookout for the players and families on "picture day". Food is grilled and pop and chips are served. As you might imagine, the crowd is pretty big between the players, coaches and families, ( two hundred plus or so ). Of course there is the set up, serving and clean up activities. I have worked the pop counter the last few years and the pace there is fast and furious. I like to work the pop counter because virtually all of the players, families and coaches stop by to get a drink. It is a great way to meet the new recruits and families, ( they normally wear name tags ). It is a bit of work, but it is a way to directly support the team and to hang out with fellow Flyers Club members. Being in Detroit, this is the only Flyers Club meeting I make during the year. ( At least it gives me a chance to pay my dues, LOL)

smitch425
07-30-2008, 10:24 AM
Thanks for the great info. I'll pass it along to the hubby!:D

Flyer Gramps
07-30-2008, 01:29 PM
Thanks for the great info. I'll pass it along to the hubby!:D

This is a nice event and those who have helped in the past are to be commended. Looking at it from another perspective:

The parents of these kids are pumped up, football is in the air. Parents of new recruits have this first experience. They meet others of their son's class and upperclass too. They watch other parents, meet some, and make a few friends. Meet position coaches.
As the years pass, more parents know each other so it's kinda like a reunion. Sometimes they see each other on game day, but this is the common gathering.
The boys, especially newcomers, pose for their photographs. Other staged shots take place. They're happy to see parents after a couple weeks of camp. You get to see how they can eat!
The Flyers Club does a great service for the team and needs support to continue - even from gals! It's more than a catered affair could be, it's a personal affair.:thanks:

John R
08-09-2008, 12:20 PM
This is a nice event and those who have helped in the past are to be commended. Looking at it from another perspective:

The parents of these kids are pumped up, football is in the air. Parents of new recruits have this first experience. They meet others of their son's class and upperclass too. They watch other parents, meet some, and make a few friends. Meet position coaches.
As the years pass, more parents know each other so it's kinda like a reunion. Sometimes they see each other on game day, but this is the common gathering.
The boys, especially newcomers, pose for their photographs. Other staged shots take place. They're happy to see parents after a couple weeks of camp. You get to see how they can eat!
The Flyers Club does a great service for the team and needs support to continue - even from gals! It's more than a catered affair could be, it's a personal affair.:thanks:

Thanks,
Don't forget its next Sunday the 17th.If anyone wants to help please send me a PM.

DetroitFlyer
08-18-2008, 09:06 AM
The cookout was fantastic. It is just so much fun to meet the parents of the new recruits and welcome back the parents of returning players. It is very cool how parents from all over the country are there with their players! I even picked up some good recruiting stories.... This year we also found some time to meet with and talk with some of the players. The team is pumped up and really looking forward to a great 2008 season. This was my third year at the pop counter, and it went very well.... The "practice" is paying off! My son also enjoyed the day working beside his dad! Of course it is always great to hang out with my fellow Flyers Club members. If you have not joined yet, please consider getting on board. The dues are only $20.00/year and it is another great way to support our Flyers!

A number of players and parents commented on how nice the field turf is over at Welcome Stadium. I did not take any pictures as not much has changed since I was there a couple of weeks ago.... The super sacks of rubber infill material were gone, so I gather that is has all been put on the field. There are some good sized holes on the home side for the brick pillars that I think will go up.... I will be amazed if it is finished in time for the season.... The blue tarp on the visitors side was gone....

For those of you attending the CSU game, the Flyers Club will be holding its tailgate! I think the starting time is 3:30 PM. I did not think to ask about the price, but last year it was only $5.00 for all the food and beverages you could eat and drink!

For those of you that live in Dayton, consider yourself lucky. I paid $3.49 for gas at the Speedway up by the Drury Inn. Here in Detroit, the going price is more like $3.86 at the moment....

Can't wait for that first kickoff! GO FLYERS!!!!!

John R
08-18-2008, 04:31 PM
The cookout was fantastic. It is just so much fun to meet the parents of the new recruits and welcome back the parents of returning players. It is very cool how parents from all over the country are there with their players! I even picked up some good recruiting stories.... This year we also found some time to meet with and talk with some of the players. The team is pumped up and really looking forward to a great 2008 season. This was my third year at the pop counter, and it went very well.... The "practice" is paying off! My son also enjoyed the day working beside his dad! Of course it is always great to hang out with my fellow Flyers Club members. If you have not joined yet, please consider getting on board. The dues are only $20.00/year and it is another great way to support our Flyers!

A number of players and parents commented on how nice the field turf is over at Welcome Stadium. I did not take any pictures as not much has changed since I was there a couple of weeks ago.... The super sacks of rubber infill material were gone, so I gather that is has all been put on the field. There are some good sized holes on the home side for the brick pillars that I think will go up.... I will be amazed if it is finished in time for the season.... The blue tarp on the visitors side was gone....

For those of you attending the CSU game, the Flyers Club will be holding its tailgate! I think the starting time is 3:30 PM. I did not think to ask about the price, but last year it was only $5.00 for all the food and beverages you could eat and drink!

For those of you that live in Dayton, consider yourself lucky. I paid $3.49 for gas at the Speedway up by the Drury Inn. Here in Detroit, the going price is more like $3.86 at the moment....

Can't wait for that first kickoff! GO FLYERS!!!!!

Its still $5 The tailgates start 90 minutes before kick off.

P.S Its $ 3.47 today

goflyers001
08-23-2008, 06:49 AM
The football picnic for the players and parents was great. Thanks very much to all who were involved in organizing such a successful event. Combined with the picture-taking opportunities, speaking on behalf of all parents who were there, it was a special day, and one that we will talk about over the years. Everyone we have talked to emphasize what a special place UD is and how much the students / players like being there. I can see why in the short time we have been associated with UD. There is much to be proud of. Thanks again.