PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Press

DetroitFlyer
08-06-2008, 09:27 AM
http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/college/ud/2008/08/06/ddn080608spudfb.html

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/college/ud/2008/08/06/ddn080608spudfbb1.html

A couple of nice articles in the DDN today. I was VERY disappointed, however, when I was driving home from Kentucky yesterday and passing through Dayton. I changed the radio to WHIO in anticipation of hearing about the start of UD's 2008 campaign during the sports segment of the news.... Silly me.... Not even a mention.... I was able to hang onto the station for several newscasts and not a word about UD Football.... Pretty sad if you ask me! All I heard about was how Forbes named Dayton a rapidly dying city. Maybe Dayton would not be "dying" if positive news was reported once in a while, say like the start of UD's fall football camp yesterday.... Not much of a "flagship" station for UD Football....

Flyer Gramps
08-06-2008, 12:38 PM
I watched the All-Access video of Rick Chamberlin's opening day interview instead of driving around Ohio listening to radio! If one closed their eyes, you might think it was Mike Kelly answereing the questions. If Coach Chamberlin's goal now is to put the "same ol Dayton team" on the field, he's off to a good start in his interview form.

After so many. many years with his eyes in the defensive book, he's got to learn the whole team. He named 5 defensive players, all returnees. There are only 3 offensive starters back and of course he knows about Rob, his 5th year QB. He didn't have much to say about individuals on offense but hopefully he will learn more about them. Perhaps he saved "his stuff' for another time and really does know a few others.

PFL wise, he seems to fear Davidson the most because of their 5th year QB and having to play the last game at Jacksonville when so much could be on the line. He's glad so many of the tough out-of-conference games are at home. Thankful too that the new field turf is down and thanked the DPS for getting it done.

DetroitFlyer
08-06-2008, 03:30 PM
I have not listened to Rick yet, but I will do so tonight. It is really not good when a "press conference" is held, AND RECORDED, and still, none of it makes it onto the "flagship station's" radio broadcast on the first day of fall camp.... Unfortunately, only a relatively small number of Flyer fans will see Rick's All Access press conference. Some press on WHIO would go much further to continuing to build interest in Flyer football.

Flyer Gramps
08-06-2008, 03:55 PM
The microphones in view during the interview were #2 and #7.

Don't know who they represent.

chriscage
08-06-2008, 09:14 PM
Hopefully the mic flags were for WHIO-TV channel 7 and WDTN-TV channel 2. Sadly, the state of radio news is such that few stations have field reporters, unlike the heyday of WING's 24-hour news room and WONE's constantly roaming "channel 98" newscruisers. The best bet these days for local news (and especially UD sports) is still 1290 and 95.7 WHIO radio. GO FOOTBALL :singer: FLYERS!:singer:

UDBrian
08-07-2008, 09:14 AM
I have not listened to Rick yet, but I will do so tonight. It is really not good when a "press conference" is held, AND RECORDED, and still, none of it makes it onto the "flagship station's" radio broadcast on the first day of fall camp.... Unfortunately, only a relatively small number of Flyer fans will see Rick's All Access press conference. Some press on WHIO would go much further to continuing to build interest in Flyer football.

Amen. There are thousands of potential young fans who are basically unaware that Dayton has a good football team.

smitch425
08-07-2008, 10:49 AM
Hopefully the mic flags were for WHIO-TV channel 7 and WDTN-TV channel 2.

I could tell it was Jack Pohl and Margaret Brosko asking the questions.

DetroitFlyer
08-15-2008, 08:27 AM
http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/college/ud/2008/08/15/ddn081508spudfb.html

http://www.daytondailynews.com/p/content/gen/sharedoh/photos_galleries/sports/college-ud/081408udfbpractice.html

You can get a good look at the turf in some of the photographs. Glad to see that we are getting to practice on the new turf.

The article says that the defense dominated the offense and that a couple of lineman were "banged up" a bit.... Here is to hoping that everyone is healthy and ready to go in 8/31/08!

John R
08-16-2008, 08:06 AM
[QUOTE=UDBrian;66746]Amen. There are thousands of potential young fans who are basically unaware that Dayton has a good football team.[/

There is also alot of older fans who are unaware that UD has a good football team.