PDA

View Full Version : AD Kissell retiring

UDFLYERS2K
08-19-2008, 09:16 AM
Ted is stepping down on Dec 31st.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/college/ud/2008/08/19/ddn081908kissellweb.html

Gazoo
08-19-2008, 09:38 AM
Let's see the switchboards light up on this one.

ud69
08-19-2008, 09:38 AM
Not really a big surprise as he had been saying as much for the last year or so. It was just a matter of when he pulled the trigger.

GRFlyer
08-19-2008, 09:41 AM
Tim Wabler to take over at the end of the year. I don't know too much about him. What does everybody think of him? Will he be a solid replacement?

Atlantic 10
08-19-2008, 09:49 AM
Ted is stepping down on Dec 31st.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/college/ud/2008/08/19/ddn081908kissellweb.html
Ted is also VP of the university, I wonder if he will stay in that position

smitch425
08-19-2008, 09:51 AM
Does anyone else think that somewhere in the world tman is doing cartwheels?hahaha:D

Bill McPeek
08-19-2008, 10:08 AM
Does anyone else think that somewhere in the world tman is doing cartwheels?hahaha:D

I was thinking the same thing. When I first read the announcement TMan was the first person I thought of.

Avid Flyer
08-19-2008, 10:20 AM
I was thinking the same thing. When I first read the announcement TMan was the first person I thought of.

Poor Tim Wabler, he doesn't realize the power of tman!?!?!?

Personally think it is great TK will stay on as VP till June 2009 which will aid TW in his role as new AD.

Donations will be taken for a new asbestos suit for TW as the flaming by certain posters will surely not stop even with a new AD.

TK did announce at one of the UD flyer get togethers that he had planned on a full retirement by 2010, so he gave the university plenty time to think about a replacement and I am sure TW knew ahead of time of the plans and timing. Should be a smooth take over and the new AD being a UD grad should be a plus. Of course we haven't had any official word from tman yet:rolleyes:

UDEE79
08-19-2008, 10:21 AM
Since they promoted from within I wonder if they looked outside the university for the new AD. For a job this big and important I hope they did.

Avid Flyer
08-19-2008, 10:23 AM
Since they promoted from within I wonder if they looked outside the university for the new AD. For a job this big and important I hope they did.

Yes but tman wasn't available at the time.

DetroitFlyer
08-19-2008, 10:35 AM
Tim Wabler to take over at the end of the year. I don't know too much about him. What does everybody think of him? Will he be a solid replacement?

http://daytonflyers.cstv.com/genrel/wabler_tim00.html

It kind of sounds like Tim was a behind the scenes type of guy. His bio certainly makes him extremely well qualified. Tim is not much younger than Ted.... I'm guessing maybe around 56 or so.... I suppose that he could be the AD for 5 to 10 years or so....

Tim was in school at Dayton back when we played scholarship football.... I wonder if he will be more open to thinking about a return to scholarship football or at least being open to the FCS playoffs for the PFL...?

Kinda nice to have an AD and a head football coach that are both UD grads and "home grown". It will be interesting to see if Tim brings any new ideas or direction to our athletics programs.

cj
08-19-2008, 10:48 AM

.. lunch or a 6 pack for breakfast to celebrate the news. If he is doing "cartwheels under the influence" I would pay to see that.

San Diego Flyer
08-19-2008, 11:00 AM
I think Kissell did a marvelous job. Wabler apprenticed under him and my guess is we will see more of the same---thankfully. One reason Wabler was selected no doubt was the smooth transition and extension of the same goals and objectives.

UDBrian
08-19-2008, 11:02 AM
I think Tim is a lucky guy. I believe that the ship is pointed in the right direction and picking up steam, not only for men's bball but vball, soccer, women's bball.

tman
08-19-2008, 11:46 AM
I wish Ted well and I hope health did not play a role in his leaving.

I wish The U wasn't in such a hurry to name a replacement. I like the idea of the next guy being a flyer, however this program could use new blood. I don't think it hurts to look around or consider all your options.

The part that scares me is the notion that the new AD, the former assistant, will pick up where the old left off.

We could do without the constant spin as it pertains to the basketball program.
We need consistancy with the scheduling model. The U sends me a brochure informing me of the scheduling model , then the following year schedules completly differently than their brochure. ??

Tim. If you are the new AD----

Get us back on tv. Local, national, anything.

Bring back the students. Make it easy for them to attend and start treating them with respect. This is their team.

Schedule excitting games--regardless of location.

Never again put Flyer fans through what we are going to experience this year at home.

And last but not least, forever halt the constant money grab from your best and longest supporters. Their only fault is their love of the UD basketball program. Doing it because you can --is no longer acceptable and in the end only hurts the program long term.

Its a great day to be a Flyer .
Its a new day. A new era.
Here's hoping the U makes the best of it.

BallgameJohnny
08-19-2008, 12:31 PM

I wish The U wasn't in such a hurry to name a replacement. I like the idea of the next guy being a flyer, however this program could use new blood. I don't think it hurts to look around or consider all your options.

The part that scares me is the notion that the new AD, the former assistant, will pick up where the old left off.

We need consistancy with the scheduling model. The U sends me a brochure informing me of the scheduling model , then the following year schedules completly differently than their brochure. ??

Bring back the students. Make it easy for them to attend and start treating them with respect. This is their team.

Never again put Flyer fans through what we are going to experience this year at home.

And last but not least, forever halt the constant money grab from your best and longest supporters. Their only fault is their love of the UD basketball program. Doing it because you can is no longer acceptable and in the end only hurts the program long term.

Well Put TMAN!!

Ah and its nice to be allowed back on the board!! Again!!!

FlyerYouBetcha
08-19-2008, 12:32 PM
This is a great day for Flyer Basketball -- not that Ted is leaving, but that a humble and medicated BB33 and tman return to the thread. My guess is they will be on their best behavior.

BallgameJohnny
08-19-2008, 12:35 PM
This is a great day for Flyer Basketball -- not that Ted is leaving, but that a humble and medicated BB33 and tman return to the thread. My guess is they will be on their best behavior.

Where is BB33 I didn't see him?

Bill McPeek
08-19-2008, 12:42 PM
I think Kissell did a marvelous job. Wabler apprenticed under him and my guess is we will see more of the same---thankfully. One reason Wabler was selected no doubt was the smooth transition and extension of the same goals and objectives.

Very well said. I like very much that TW is a UD grad.

UDBrian
08-19-2008, 12:52 PM
Tman, you have some valid requests. But, if you don't have a team capable of playing competitive games against top teams it doesn't do any good to schedule really tough games. I didn't think that the games against Pitt and UNC two years ago were exciting. Now that the talent level is improving you will see the schedule adjusted imho.

FlyerYouBetcha
08-19-2008, 01:59 PM
BB33 posted on the "Just Wondering" thread yesterday. So he's back.

FlyerFanatic08
08-19-2008, 02:05 PM
Tman, you have some valid requests. But, if you don't have a team capable of playing competitive games against top teams it doesn't do any good to schedule really tough games. I didn't think that the games against Pitt and UNC two years ago were exciting. Now that the talent level is improving you will see the schedule adjusted imho.

i would hope its adjusted. i agree, the pitt/unc games two years ago were not exciting...but doesnt it make sense with the talent we have and are getting to get some these games on the schedule? i think thats what people are thinking when we saw the schedule for this year. chris wright hopefully for a full year...marcus johnson, huelsman etc all a year more experienced.

as we saw...there were teams out there looking for games that made much more sense to schedule.

UACFlyer
08-19-2008, 02:53 PM
Reading UD's press release re TK's accomplishments says it all;...Ted really did transform UD athletics.

As for his successor, Tim Wabler, no doubt he's a good man or he wouldn't be working for Ted. This change should work out well. Tim's appointment will ensure continuity,....more of the same. But, no matter how good a person is there is always room for improvement. Look for Tim to recognize the wonderful base Ted has developed, while at the same time taking advantage of the opportunity to do a little "tweeking".

Very best wishes Ted;.....good luck Tim. We have been fortunate to have you both.

shocka43
08-19-2008, 03:17 PM
i would hope its adjusted. i agree, the pitt/unc games two years ago were not exciting...but doesnt it make sense with the talent we have and are getting to get some these games on the schedule? i think thats what people are thinking when we saw the schedule for this year. chris wright hopefully for a full year...marcus johnson, huelsman etc all a year more experienced.

as we saw...there were teams out there looking for games that made much more sense to schedule.

Without getting into scheduling issues....I do agree with the above, but....You loose against Pitt and UL you have a bad schedule, you win, and you look like a genius. You have to beat who you are supposed to beat as well as those you aren't for it to work. Any losses, and, well, you know the rest.

My request is simple. More money out of my pocket every year needs to have value associated with it. Weak home schedules don't equate to value.

Gazoo
08-19-2008, 03:58 PM
You loose against Pitt and UL you have a bad schedule, you win, and you look like a genius.

Can't we lose competitively? We lost to Duke by only about 12-15 on their floor IIRC, but losing by 30 is a different matter.

Chris R
08-19-2008, 04:28 PM
Tim is his own man and will bring his own vision and stamp. He and Ted worked side by side on so many things but like Ted had to do what Ted thought was best despite what Tom Frericks may have done, Tim will do what Tim thinks is best.

And if you ask Ted, he wouldnt want Tim to tackle the job any other way.

Binnie Bombs 33
08-19-2008, 06:11 PM
Some people liked him, some people didn't

Jan. 2nd will be a great day in my book.

Hopefully Tim can continue the success of the "other" programs and focus and improve greatly the success of "THE" program. And bring us to an actual Ncaa Win.

Tman and I got our wish, new blood at the top and hopefully he will bring a different philosophy to the basketball program because the old one hasn't been working.

So let's see I got banned for being loud and annoying about getting new blood in the AD office ... and then when my ban is lifted we get new blood in the AD office ... who is the crazy one now?

shocka43
08-19-2008, 06:18 PM
Can't we lose competitively? We lost to Duke by only about 12-15 on their floor IIRC, but losing by 30 is a different matter.

You can, but even a competitive loss may not be able to make up for a weaker OOC. Those wins were what made the SOS/RPI what it was. There is no argument for the fact that winning the winners and winning against the big names are what made and will make the RPI strong. The supporters of the scheduling use this as their basis for the weak schedule. If you loose the big names, your RPI drops. Whats the argument for the cupcake homes then? It is another shoulda, coulda, woulda situation. The bottom line. If OOC losses occur, you are smoked unless you ball out in the A-10. We haven't been able to do that lately, regardless of the injury/etc issues.

I understand the "inability" factors when it comes to scheduling, thats something we have to deal with considering we are tough at home and usually not guarantees for the home team on a road game. With that said, home season ticket holders want to see games for the price they are expected to shell out every year as increases. It is the Bengals syndrome and always will be. PBS has the seats sold and filled. Why go the extra effort when you are up there in merchandise and ticket sales? You don't. While UD is a FAR CRY from that since UD is fairly successful and has winning records, it is the same principle. If people are willing, it will continue to happen. While it would be foolish to give up 20 year seat seniority, etc. Short of giving up seats, the only option is to vent from time to time about the "value" holders get. The stock is high at this point and so are expectations, from a personnel level as well as a scheduling/entertainment level. Personnel is there. Entertainment and scheduling will tell the story if consistent NCAA post season activity occurs.

Avid Flyer
08-19-2008, 07:00 PM
Neither you nor tman got banned for wanting new blood, seems like you have yet to figure out what it was that got you banned. Your varying opinions are welcome but the uncivilized rants, name calling of staff, players etc is not acceptable. And I am sure TK didn't leave because you and tman wanted him to. TK announced the year before tht he would fully retire in 2010. As it is he will step down Jan 1, 2009 from the AD spot but remain VP till June 2009 which is close to the time he stated he would retire.

Now hopefully everyone will give TW a chance to show his stuff.

Some people liked him, some people didn't

Jan. 2nd will be a great day in my book.

Hopefully Tim can continue the success of the "other" programs and focus and improve greatly the success of "THE" program. And bring us to an actual Ncaa Win.

Tman and I got our wish, new blood at the top and hopefully he will bring a different philosophy to the basketball program because the old one hasn't been working.

So let's see I got banned for being loud and annoying about getting new blood in the AD office ... and then when my ban is lifted we get new blood in the AD office ... who is the crazy one now?

Dirty Sanchez
08-19-2008, 07:53 PM
Interesting quote from TK:

"There's not a single professional reason for me to step down," Kissell said. "I love my job and I have the same purpose and enthusiasm I had 16 years ago.

"No matter what tman and Binnie Bombs 33 say, it's not at all about what I'm doing, but about all the important things that there have been too little time for."

marco red eagle
08-19-2008, 08:45 PM
I've met Tim Wabler about 10 times. The meetings were always fundraising in nature. He is smoother than TK in person. Wabler has less ego, than TK, in my mind. He is more personable. My few meetings with him don't mean a lot but I liked the guy. He is positive and a good representative of UD.

His easy going style fundraising may change with more on his back as AD.

San Diego Flyer
08-19-2008, 08:55 PM
Interesting quote from TK:

"There's not a single professional reason for me to step down," Kissell said. "I love my job and I have the same purpose and enthusiasm I had 16 years ago.

"No matter what tman and Binnie Bombs 33 say, it's not at all about what I'm doing, but about all the important things that there have been too little time for."

That's very funny but this thread is not about tman and BB33. It's about change to the program that may bring an end to a very succcessfull run for UD athletics and at the same time inject some new thought into the whole scene very heathy.

Edo
08-19-2008, 08:58 PM
I had the opportunity to be around Tim a couple of years ago during a UD Life-long Learning class. Take it from me . . . he is a courteous, hardworking and knowledgeable professional. I am very pleased he will be taking the reins of UD's athletic department!

shocka43
08-19-2008, 09:08 PM
It's about change to the program that may bring an end to a very succcessfull run for UD athletics and at the same time inject some new thought into the whole scene very heathy.

Once again....UDPride is a small population of UD fans and supporters.

Many see change as good. I happen to be one of them, in a civil way. :)

This is going to be like a change in presidents. The future successes will be attributed to TK by the TK supporters. Future downfalls will be TW's fault. It will be vice versa for the TK critics.

Scheduling and stagnant progress are problems that I had. Teamed up with the unwillingness to take suggestions regarding Arena schematics (parking specifically). These are small things, but important to some. When solutions exist for small issues and they aren't dealt with, I have a problem. If these things change with new leadership, then I am a happy camper.

longtimefan
08-20-2008, 08:42 AM

And last but not least, forever halt the constant money grab from your best and longest supporters. Their only fault is their love of the UD basketball program. Doing it because you can --is no longer acceptable and in the end only hurts the program long term.

Didn't anyone notice this is the same stuff tman has been saying over and over and over? He just said it in a slightly more civilized manner. But I guess that is better than a rant.

Flyer 86
08-20-2008, 09:42 AM
Once again....UDPride is a small population of UD fans and supporters.

Many see change as good. I happen to be one of them, in a civil way. :)

This is going to be like a change in presidents. The future successes will be attributed to TK by the TK supporters. Future downfalls will be TW's fault. It will be vice versa for the TK critics.

Scheduling and stagnant progress are problems that I had. Teamed up with the unwillingness to take suggestions regarding Arena schematics (parking specifically). These are small things, but important to some. When solutions exist for small issues and they aren't dealt with, I have a problem. If these things change with new leadership, then I am a happy camper.

good post, as it resembles my sentiments exactly.

Best of everything teddy K. thank you!

Gazoo
08-20-2008, 10:03 AM

Also, I trust that everyone noticed that no one has ever won 8 gold medals in an olympics, but as soon as that happened, TK stepped down.
:ok:

Dirty Sanchez
08-21-2008, 09:47 PM
Doug Harris apparently has noticed BB33 and tman...

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/college/ud/2008/08/21/ddn082108spaudible.html

You can't please everyone