PDA

View Full Version : shot selection

Flyer'95
08-19-2008, 11:53 AM
Just thinking about this years team and trying to figure out who the calming influence will be. One of my biggest concerns, aside from the PG position, is our shot selection this year. MJ has proven he can hit the outside jumper, but now that he's our number one option, will that still hold? And if he's covered more effectively, will he recognize when to put the ball on the floor and/or when to pass it? I think Roberts gave us a lot of peace of mind last year even though our offense was a little stagnant as a result. You just knew that 98% of the time he wasn't going to take a bad shot.

I'm not sure you can say that about the rest of the team. All the returning players, save for maybe marcus and kurt, have been known to put up some questionable shots. Little, London, wright and perry have all had trouble picking their spots without forcing it. And with the addition of so many new faces, i'm curious to see how we mature in terms of shot selection. I hope it becomes a non-issue, but i think for a good portion of the non-con season we'll be trying to figure out who really has good sense about which opportunities to take without forcing the issue.

Fudd
08-19-2008, 12:19 PM
Good point. I can probably only recall a few shots that I think were bad/forced shots from BRob during his career. But it's similar to talking about rebounding the year after Perryman left. The team is going to have to pick up that slack. We can't expect another BRob to pop up.

Flyer 86
08-20-2008, 09:47 AM
Just thinking about this years team and trying to figure out who the calming influence will be. One of my biggest concerns, aside from the PG position, is our shot selection this year. MJ has proven he can hit the outside jumper, but now that he's our number one option, will that still hold? And if he's covered more effectively, will he recognize when to put the ball on the floor and/or when to pass it? I think Roberts gave us a lot of peace of mind last year even though our offense was a little stagnant as a result. You just knew that 98% of the time he wasn't going to take a bad shot.

I'm not sure you can say that about the rest of the team. All the returning players, save for maybe marcus and kurt, have been known to put up some questionable shots. Little, London, wright and perry have all had trouble picking their spots without forcing it. And with the addition of so many new faces, i'm curious to see how we mature in terms of shot selection. I hope it becomes a non-issue, but i think for a good portion of the non-con season we'll be trying to figure out who really has good sense about which opportunities to take without forcing the issue.

saw this lastnight, and it's a right on perception. i think this is where much depends on how lowry plays and controls tempo and things early on. not saying he's the starter, but if he has sway or point guard leadership, it could be determing factor in ball flow.

i say that cause while i like 75-80% of time what london may try on the break or first setup offense, he's not so great on the final 20 seconds of shot clock, in half court sets.

this team i think will stumble and fumble a bit first 5-7 games, due to above reasons posted by flyer 95. don't think we lose much gamewise, but just who's getting ball, who takes control, who puts up bad shots and good shots.

i hope it works itself out by Dec 10th or so, even sooner.

keats '91
08-20-2008, 09:58 AM
Agree with what everyone is saying. Just wondering how vital shot selection will be the first few games. I anticipate a very focused rebounding team and the best offense may just be any shot that hits rim, then let them go get the boards.

The book on how to defend us will be the same as last couple years... all five guys have a minimum of one foot in the free throw lane, preferrable both feet.

Although I think it goes against BG's preferrences, up tempo play and running even after made baskets may be a necessity.
That is why I am optimistic for a good start to the season. I think we can play that way against non conference opponents. And hopefully by conference season, we can develop a better feel for playing in a slower tempo game.

Sure seems like the pieces are in place for (another) great season (start).

UDF4N4LIF3
08-20-2008, 11:05 PM
I think we will get use to Mickey Perry shooting the ball, He is gona be good this season!