PDA

View Full Version : Five Questions - UD Assistant Coach Jon Borovich

NCkevi
09-05-2008, 12:53 PM
http://collegechalktalk.com/five-questions/five-questions-university-of-dayton-assistant-coach-jon-borovich/

Gazoo
09-05-2008, 01:56 PM
On the new 3 point line: the good shooters will adjust easily and the bad shooters will take fewer 3's. He doesn't think it will have a significant impact.

I'm continually confused by this comment from coaching staffs. This isn't like introducing the 3 point line for the first time--it's not THAT big of a deal. But isn't what he said above exactly the point of the new line? I think it will have a fairly significant impact. Someone you used to guard, at least in a token way, at that distance will now get Shaquile O'Neil treatment.

Examples from last year at the NEW line:
AS: would have been left unguarded
MJ: would have been left unguarded
JB: marginal treatment

Previous years:
KW: unguarded
Alvarez, Bennett, Warren Williams, Logan White, Mark Jones: all unguarded

By unguarded I mean you know you're going to win if those guys take 5 3's in a game. And if they step in to 19'9", well, it's only worth 2 points so if you want to take that shot instead of working for a better one worth the same 2 points, then knock yourself out.

There is an exponential impact of a few more inches away from the basket with these marginal shooters IMO.

Bill McPeek
09-05-2008, 02:57 PM
I really don't think that the new line will change the game at all. The difference between the old line and the new line isn't that great. If the new line went out to where the pro line is then that's a different story. It will be interesting to see the Div. I statistics at the end of the season as far as three's attempted, made and shooting percentage as compared to last year. I really don't think there will much difference.

San Diego Flyer
09-05-2008, 07:32 PM
Whether it's ego or just testing their range, I think most pure 3 point shooters periodically step back to the NBA line in practice and the off season just to see what they can do. The new college line will be no big deal for the good shooters.

Mercifully, the new line might finally give a red light to the guys who like to cast one up once in a while and really have no business doing it.

Fudd
09-05-2008, 07:57 PM
I know the listed heights are always a source of debate, but I was suprised to see Chris Johnson listed at 6'6". I heard he has very nice ball handling and passing skills.