PDA

View Full Version : Flyers gut out a 23 20 win vs Fordham

San Diego Flyer
09-13-2008, 03:54 PM
With two amazing defensive stands, the difference in the ballgame was a bizarre point swing when UD blocked a Fordham extra point and ran it back to the Flyer endzone for two points. A 3 point swing in the score and the eventual final margin of victory.

UD played tough on both sides of the ball.

Go Flyers!!

Alberto Strasse
09-13-2008, 04:34 PM
Congratulations on a big victory. Go UD!

San Diego Flyer
09-13-2008, 05:43 PM
Coach Chamberlin didn't deliver the improved offense as he declared, but we got the win against a good football team and that was the most important goal anyway. And we got it the Flyer way with heart and determination.

FLORIDAFLYER
09-13-2008, 05:56 PM
Blocked punt for a TD, blocked extra point scores 2 for the good guys, fumble at the one,, numerous other turnovers. what's not to like. Outsized on both offense and defense on a hot humid day usually spells trouble for the smaller squad. While the Rams did move the ball in the second half, the Flyers came up big when they had to. Gutty performance rewarded by a much deserved victory.

DetroitFlyer
09-13-2008, 07:28 PM
A truly epic battle for the boys. The defensive unit was on the absolute verge of collapse.... There is no question that our defense left EVERYTHING and then some on the turf at Welcome Stadium today! Gutsy is an accurate term, but it really does not even begin to express the heart of our defensive unit.

As for the offense.... Rob Florian is a VERY short QB. From where I was sitting, it honestly looked like he could not see over Fordhams huge offensive line.... Of course he was also under a good deal of pressure most of the day.... The offense did just enough to win. Note that Rob did not even come close to throwing an interception.

The hit to Vallentino was rough. It was a shot that could be heard to the top of Welcome Stadium. I knew he would get up because he is one tough kid!!!!! I'm certain, however, he had no idea what zip code he was in when he walked off the field. To turn around and make a catch for a critical first down shortly after that hit was amazing. Those are the type of plays that we made all day that just took the wind out of Fordham's sails time and time again.

It is absolutely criminal that only 3300 fans got to see one of the best games at Welcome Stadium in years. Frankly, it makes me sick. Our boys DESERVE so much better.... If you live in Dayton and did not attend this game, I say SHAME ON YOU! 12K plus for virtually EVERY basketball game and yet those same fans will not come out and support our Football Flyers. It makes me sick!

chriscage
09-13-2008, 08:56 PM
Congrats to the football Flyers on a huge victory. It is always great when we play well against leading Patriot and Ivy League teams.

Enjoyed the coverage on All Access and WHIO radio streaming.

The NWS called for a 40% chance of thundershowers Saturday aftrenoon. That may have dampened attendance. What is UD doing to promote attendance? Are the students fired up?

IAFlyer
09-13-2008, 10:03 PM
I know it's disappointing to not have more fans there, but Dayton football has never drawn big crowds.

On the bright side, 3,300 is better than the Florida Marlins put in the stands one night - 584.

San Diego Flyer
09-13-2008, 10:16 PM
The hit to Vallentino was rough. It was a shot that could be heard to the top of Welcome Stadium. I knew he would get up because he is one tough kid!!!!! I'm certain, however, he had no idea what zip code he was in when he walked off the field. To turn around and make a catch for a critical first down shortly after that hit was amazing. Those are the type of plays that we made all day that just took the wind out of Fordham's sails time and time again.
!

IMHO the above play by Valentino was one of the keys to the win. After he got his bell rung on the kickoff I was sure he was out for the rest of the night. We desperately needed first downs at that point because the defense was gassed. His first down catch gave the D the needed rest to come back and make two great stands in the last 3 minutes.

UDBrian
09-14-2008, 12:32 PM
I saw they had expanded the kids zone and all you can eat burgers and dogs for $8 which is a good idea. You want kids to come and have a good time, then they will return dragging their parents to the games. It is awfully easy for people to sit on the couch Saturday rather than coming to a game.

Flyer Gramps
09-14-2008, 02:30 PM
Did the DDN have a Sunday story on the Fordham game and any photos?

udx2
09-14-2008, 04:08 PM

I could not find a DDN story online, so I was checking here for one. However, I found one on a Fordham site and this is the link to the Fordham website.

http://fordhamsports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/recaps/091308aaa.html

smitch425
09-14-2008, 04:31 PM

They actually gave us about 1/3 of the front page including a photo of Rob running the ball. I am 110% sure that we would have been a mere blip on the page if OSU didn't get blasted last night.:rolleyes:

Flyer Gramps
09-14-2008, 04:40 PM
They actually gave us about 1/3 of the front page including a photo of Rob running the ball. I am 110% sure that we would have been a mere blip on the page if OSU didn't get blasted last night.:rolleyes:

Thanks smitch. They forgot to put it on the website.

Will you be at the Robt Morris game? I don't think the Detroit kid will be there because he's running from somebody or in a cross country event if my memory is straight.

Was waiting for the Drake to come to town but now thinking of driving up because one never knows when the season will end with a bell-ringer hit! Right! Will there be gasoline to purchase? We're sold out due to panic, just like when snow is forecast.

smitch425
09-14-2008, 05:17 PM
Yes, we will be at the RM game--barring any weather related emergencies, that is. It took us an hour to get from Baujan Field to our home in Miamisburg because of the wind here today. So far we've only had a gutter come down, but we are one of the lucky ones. Several of our neighbors have lost siding and shingles, and in Kettering there were more trees down than up! It was like driving through a Disney 3-D movie except stuff was actually hitting us! I've never seen anything like it.:(
Can't wait to see Coach tomorrow and tell him congrats on the win. I told him we could take 'em!:D

UACFlyer
09-14-2008, 06:32 PM
What are the Fordham message boards saying now? You will recall last year when the series was first announced the FU fans were shocked that Fordham, a Pat League school, would lower itself to play the likes of Dayton,.....kind of the way we talked about the scheduling of Central State.

Flyer Gramps
09-14-2008, 07:01 PM
What are the Fordham message boards saying now? You will recall last year when the series was first announced the FU fans were shocked that Fordham, a Pat League school, would lower itself to play the likes of Dayton,.....kind of the way we talked about the scheduling of Central State.

The guys on Any Given Saturday were very kind after the game. Some couldn't figure out why Fordham turned the ball over so many times this year and last but it wasn't such a problem against other teams. They gave high respect to the Flyer coaches.

Check it out:
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47466

DetroitFlyer
09-15-2008, 02:29 PM
Never too early to start recruiting.... I noticed a sign and special entrance to the game for UD Football recruits and family! This game surely helped our recruiting.

Flyer Gramps
09-16-2008, 04:30 PM
Mr. Studt posted 195 photos of the Central State game on his website. Put it on slideshow and watch away. Kinda like all you Flyer fans on the visitors side because it makes a nice background for the photographer shooting with sun to his back!

The last batch has several pictures showing the rubber dust raising from a skidding foot. Last night on the radio show, Larry asked the boys about their cleats. Rob Florian wears moulded rubber and Steve Valentino wears the screw-ons like he did on the same turf in high school.

Thanks Paul for the nice shots.

http://www.sportsbypaul.com/u.d.football.php

UDBrian
09-16-2008, 05:56 PM
Here are a couple of comments from that thread. Have to agree with DetroitFlyer, winning that game tells recruits that if you want to play top level football come to Dayton.

Have to say that if they weren't playing my Rams, I would be rooting for this Dayton team. They're like a throwback team. Very disciplined, very well coached and hard nosed kids. I'm impressed.

Congrats Dayton. As I wrote above, I really like your team. And no one forces us into more turnovers and mistakes than you guys. Well played.