PDA

View Full Version : Upcoming Opponents

BeckysTXA
09-23-2008, 11:14 PM
A couple players and teams we have coming up on the schedule are currently in the National Top 50 performance rankings. Here's a run-down:

Aces/Set: #16 Simic, Long Island; #10 Yale; #16 Cincy.
Asst/Set: #21 Roth, StL; # 29 Fesl, Cincy; #36 Cincy; #48 StL.
Blk/Set: #38 Nevitt, Cincy; #45 Cincy U.
Digs/Set: #22 Romberg, Charlotte; #25 UD.
Kills/Set: #17 Simic, Long Island; #50 Hicks, Charlotte; #18 Cincy; #37 UD; #41 StL.

It looks like Cincy has a pretty well-rounded team. Also looks like we'll face some tough serving this coming weekend with the Long Island player Simic and the Yale team as a whole.

FYI Current Records:
Cincy 10-3
UD 8-4
StL 8-4
X 5-6

This weekend:
Albany 5-7
Long Island 5-7
Yale 4-2

Yale lost to Penn State and St Louis - both 0-3.

UDBrian
09-25-2008, 04:23 PM
It is interesting seeing Simic on that list for kills, she is 5'10" and listed as a libero. Long Island has three players from Croatia, plus players from Serbia and Germany. According to their stats sheet http://www.brooklyn.liu.edu/bbut11/volly/teamcume.htm Wagner (from Germany) last year had 598 kills and averaged 4.9 kills per set and hit .246. My impression is that Germans love volleyball, I learned a lot from two friends of mine from Germany.

BeckysTXA
09-25-2008, 10:25 PM
This is our last "tune-up" before conference play begins. I think Sheffield will have the team ready to sweep all 3 of these matches. We haven't necessarily been running on all cylinders -- but putting in honorable performances for the most part -- and learning a lot along the way. I think this weekend we roll on high gear. In and out of the gym in 3 for every match. We are more talented than all these teams and if we don't sweep it will be because we shoot ourselves in the foot. I don't think Sheffield will let that happen. It's time everyone plays up to their potential and we start building the confidence that it takes to win the A-10. Nicole really stepped it up last weekend against Louisville. We need the same from everyone. This weekend we'll shift into high gear and dominate. It should be a lot of fun for the girls and their fans. I look forward to "watching live stats". Not sure what that is and Albany's website doesn't have it listed yet -- but I'm hoping there is some Internet coverage.

Avid Flyer
09-25-2008, 10:54 PM
All we get this weekend is live stats. Bummer.

Back in St L for medical reasons (eye) and may go to the SLU Charlotte game to get a feel for the new arena and what SLU lookd likr. Coach Sheffield had asked about the new arena, atmosphere etc so I will check it out if the eye is permitting.

UDBrian
09-26-2008, 08:43 AM
BeckysTXA, I like the way you think.