PDA

View Full Version : Let's See if Chris is reading the football board....

DetroitFlyer
10-09-2008, 12:39 PM
Before I went to Duquesne, a knowledgable Flyer fan told me that the Dukes field would be very similar to our Flyers playing a game on Baujan Field.

http://daytonflyers.cstv.com/facilities/BaujanField.html

Having been to Duquesne, I have to agree. The Dayton at Duquesne game was played in front of about 1800 give or take fans. I literally sat directly behind the UD players. I could easily talk with them as they stood on the sideline.

The main difference between Rooney Field and Baujan Field is the surface. Rooney is artificial, whereas Baujan is natural grass....

At any rate, it got me to thinking.... How cool would it be for UD to play a football game back at the original home of the Football Flyers? I gather that Baujan holds about 2000 fans currently.... Heck, charge a premium for tickets to be part of some type of throwback event! Yeah, I know if Chris is reading the board just the thought of a bunch of football players tearing up the grass at Baujan might be enough to get me banned.... LOL!!

I honestly do not know if Baujan could be set up to safely play football anymore, but it sure would be a cool thing to go see UD Football up close and personal ON THE UD CAMPUS! Yeah, the grass thing could be a big problem, but once every few years would probably not wipe out the Baujan surface.... Maybe the premium ticket price could even support some type of charity. Granted, I am just a bit more hard core when it comes to football than most UD fans, but I would be willing to shell out a good premium, say $50 to $100 in order to see the Flyers play on campus, especially if some sort of charity would benefit....

Chris R
10-09-2008, 05:59 PM
Dont remember if Baujan is 110yds or 115yds. With the PE and Music buildings I dont think theres remotely enough room on the ends. You need 3-4yds of clearance just to be safe too. So space wise its never going to happen.

Even with the space, the thought of the football team chewing it up is painful. Neither soccer team would let it happen.

UDBrian
10-09-2008, 07:23 PM
If you want to check on Chris reading the board try to leave it out of the title :)

It is funny that you mention this because at the last soccer match I attended (Chris and UD69 are turning me into a soccer fan too) I was thinking about what a beautiful field Baujan is. I also wondered what it was like when UD played their football games on that field.

The only possible way they could do it would be to have a football game after the soccer season had ended. I cannot imagine the soccer coaches/players willingly going along with it, that has to be a major draw for UD recruiting.

ud69
10-09-2008, 09:08 PM
I also wondered what it was like when UD played their football games on that field.

Here is a little bit. Really grainy and doesn't really do it justice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImUkIPy-6XY