PDA

View Full Version : SLU VBall court and game vs Duq

Avid Flyer
10-16-2008, 11:01 PM
Was expecting the game to be played in the bball arena. Instead it was played on the vball court adjacent to the arena. While it is quite new it is also very sterile, no character like the Frericks center. There are walls at both ends of the court so there is no room for the bluecrew or students to stand behind the servers. That of course is good news for opposing teams. Seating is on both sides of the court only. Now here is where I see the problem for opposing teams. The floor is a light wood grain finish with white painted lines for bounderies. SLU practices there so they are used to it but opposing teams will be challenged to know where the lines are.

SLU won the match easily 25-13 25-13 and 25-16. Duq seemed a step slow or SLU is just that fast. Slu continually hit little dinks in the middle which Duq was not fast enough to get to. On the other hand SLU was able to get to everyone of Duq's dinks.

So SLU swept SEMO and Duquesne and is primed for the flyers and Muskateers. Should be two great games to see.

BTW sent email to coach Scheffield with details, like he probably don't already know.

UDBrian
10-17-2008, 08:41 AM
Thanks for the info Avid. I'm sure that coach appreciates it.

Good observations on the St Louis defense picking up dinks. I think there are two reasons for this, the first is that they have a very good libero, the second is that their defense is squeezed into the middle of the court during play. Against St Louis the corners and lines are open for dinks and push shots but that is a little harder to pull off than dinking to the center of the court. I am pretty sure that the coach feels that the first thing you need to eliminate is the soft spot in the center of their defense, if someone wants to go for the lines or corners they will try to get there.

On defense you need to be ready for that dink against them. If successful they will use it over and over, and why not?

Was expecting the game to be played in the bball arena. Instead it was played on the vball court adjacent to the arena. While it is quite new it is also very sterile, no character like the Frericks center. There are walls at both ends of the court so there is no room for the bluecrew or students to stand behind the servers. That of course is good news for opposing teams. Seating is on both sides of the court only. Now here is where I see the problem for opposing teams. The floor is a light wood grain finish with white painted lines for bounderies. SLU practices there so they are used to it but opposing teams will be challenged to know where the lines are.

SLU won the match easily 25-13 25-13 and 25-16. Duq seemed a step slow or SLU is just that fast. Slu continually hit little dinks in the middle which Duq was not fast enough to get to. On the other hand SLU was able to get to everyone of Duq's dinks.

So SLU swept SEMO and Duquesne and is primed for the flyers and Muskateers. Should be two great games to see.

BTW sent email to coach Scheffield with details, like he probably don't already know.

BeckysTXA
10-17-2008, 09:38 AM
Really good info Avid -- and I agree KS will appreciate all he can find between now and next Friday.

The Dink Shot -- Erin was a master at this and a lot of her's could hit those corners and sidelines versus just going for the middle. Haven't seen Kacie play much so don't know how she is doing in this area. She probably has 5-6 things ahead of it on learning and practicing with the hitters so I think it's safe to say she's not as good in this area as Erin was -- but working on it.

It will be interesting to see how our hitters "see" the court lines at SLU. It's a very interesting observation on Avid's part.