PDA

View Full Version : Time to scrap East and West divisions

Lynton
11-11-2008, 11:21 PM
Here are the reasons why the A-10 needs to look at reality. This East and West segregation is a mockery of the competition and will remain so as long as the conference is really a race between maybe 2-4 teams that offer decent competitive programs. May sound harsh, but look at the RPI ratings from NCAA this week (out of 329 schools) with final 2007 ratings in ( ) afterwards.
SLU is at 9 (43)
UD at 42 (14)
Temple at 96 (160)
Xavier at 126 (34)
GW at 145 (204)
Rhode IS at 175 (175)
Fordham at 181 (210)
Duquense at 182 (211)
Charlotte at 258 (171)
La Salle at 289 (291)
The disparity is wide and with SLU, UD and X in one division, it is clearly lopsided. Right now, Temple would get #2 ranking in the A-10 over UD, why? :confused::confused:It's not rational.
Teams should play each other once and let them play nonconference teams to get better. Only when the other A-10 schools do something about bolstering their vb programs should we look at 2 divisions.:singer:

ud69
11-12-2008, 12:09 AM
Here are the reasons why the A-10 needs to look at reality. This East and West segregation is a mockery of the competition and will remain so as long as the conference is really a race between maybe 2-4 teams that offer decent competitive programs. May sound harsh, but look at the RPI ratings from NCAA this week (out of 329 schools) with final 2007 ratings in ( ) afterwards.
SLU is at 9 (43)
UD at 42 (14)
Temple at 96 (160)
Xavier at 126 (34)
GW at 145 (204)
Rhode IS at 175 (175)
Fordham at 181 (210)
Duquense at 182 (211)
Charlotte at 258 (171)
La Salle at 289 (291)
The disparity is wide and with SLU, UD and X in one division, it is clearly lopsided. Right now, Temple would get #2 ranking in the A-10 over UD, why? :confused::confused:It's not rational.
Teams should play each other once and let them play nonconference teams to get better. Only when the other A-10 schools do something about bolstering their vb programs should we look at 2 divisions.:singer:

I agree that the divisions are worthless. The problem this time of year is finding quality non-con opponents to play - they all are in the middle of their own conference matches. Look what happened to us this week with a non-con opponent. Ugh!

However, one note, the seeding for the tournament is done without regard to divisions. Right now, we would be seeded #2.

BeckysTXA
11-12-2008, 09:51 AM
ud69 is correct. The first is qualifying for the torunament. The West & East Division winner gets in automatically. The next 4 get in based on winning % - not division. After the 6 teams are determined, seeding is based on conference winning % - not division.

After we beat SLU on Saturday, we'll both have 1 loss in the conference. The first tie-breaker is sets won. SLU beat us 3-0. We are going to beat them 3-0. Then it drops to points scored. They beat us by 7-8 points per set during the first match. I think we can beat SLU 3-0 if we really bring it and the crowd really brings it. But it will be very difficult to beat them by a bigger margin than they beat us. It could happen, but I would say we will be the #2 seed in the tourney this year -- no matter what happens against SLU on Saturday - win or lose.

So as long as we move closer to SLU in this match -- win or otherwise - we are okay and in a great position to beat them in the A-10 Tourney. The important thing is WE WIN THE TOURNEY. And as the #2 seed -- I think we are in a better position than in the #1 slot. Here's what the seeding should look like:

#1 - SLU - Rd 1 Bye
#2 - UD - Rd 1 Bye

#3 - G Washington will play #6 - either Fordham or RI

#4 plays #5 -- Temple and X will be seeded here -- it won't matter which is which.

I think of all the teams, RI could pull an upset -- if they get in. They are the team I would worry about the most because I think they are peaking. But if they upset G Washington - They would play SLU in Rd 2.

I think we win the match up with G Wash, Temple and X big. We haven't had any trouble with any of them this year and I would anticipate we handle them in the Tourney with no problems.

You've got to show up and play hard or you get upset. But, when all is said and done -- it comes down to SLU and UD in the final on Sunday.

Lynton
11-12-2008, 09:26 PM
Thanks for clarifying that; this weekend it seemed like parents also thought that we could end up being shafted. That is a great incentive to maintain the winning% :)