PDA

View Full Version : 12 Angry Men

Chris R
12-01-2008, 12:58 AM
DAYTON (OH) -- If you're like me, there's a part of you that never gives up. There's also a part of you born and raised on Flyer basketball that never completely embraces good fortune. For so long and with so much heartbreak, Flyer fans have turned accustomed to seeing the Red and Blue snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Flyer fans, like the Flyer program, are jinxed beyond repair. Just when things look on the up and up, prosperity looks frightening and we run home to Momma.

As I finished watching the Marquette game on my Tivo for the second time Sunday afternoon, I couldn't help but think of that last thought. At no time during the 40 minutes of play at the Sears Centre did Dayton look prosperity in the face and topple over like a feather during crunch time. When you are up against the #15 ranked team in the country, crunch time is from opening whistle to the final buzzer. It took two decades for the Flyers to earn the dubious honor of being a soft, finesse team that could only beat good teams with Xs and Os. Coaching still matters, but never did we have the mean streak to play tackle football if that's what it took to win. Those marshmallow days are over.

Twelve angry men took to the court in Hoffman Estates, IL, and responded like they have all season -- with intensity and effort the likes Flyer fans have not seen in a long time -- perhaps ever. Nobody disputes the fact that this team has some holes. Our point guard situation is not conventional, our post presence is oftentimes hit or miss, outside shooting runs hot or cold, and free throw shooting remains questionable. What's left you ask? Not so fast, my friend.

Effort and hustle go a long way and Dayton is getting it done by simply outworking opponents -- to everything and for everything. The work rate and RPM of this team is like a Formula One car. If someone logs 25 minutes and isn't gassed, they didn't play hard enough. The mojo runs 12 players deep. No matter who is in the game, the attitude remains the same. The opponents end up feeling like girly men. Whether it's three Flyers diving for a loose ball against Bethune-Cookman with a 30pt lead, or Marcus Johnson outjumping three Marquette players for a loose ball with one minute left in the game, someone or something lit a match under these guys and convinced each player their manhood was in check. No longer soft and brittle, Dayton has turned into the school yard bully. You want to rumble? Game on.

Better yet, everyone seems to enjoy the challenge. Brian Gregory is substituting players faster than Perry Clark's much-heralded "Posse" during his tenure at Tulane. Guys shuffle in, guys shuffle out. But the intensity, effort, and sense of purpose remain high. The Flyer bench scored 48pts against Marquette. Other than Chris Wright, there are no real superstars -- perhaps even in the making. Everyone is learning to embrace their role however and find significant ways to contribute. In BG's case, the sum is far greater than the individual parts.

Win or lose, this team is fun to watch. In past seasons, there were times fans wondered if we left it all on the court. This year, the players can't hide their oxygen-depleted bodies from the crowd. We see them sucking wind, and that's exactly how we like it. Go as hard as you can for four minutes, then let someone else take over.

Dayton reminds me of a boa constrictor. Every time you exhale, the snake gets a better grip and tighens some more. Over 40 minutes, dealing with UD's insanity is like heading to the dentist for a root canal. The patient sucks it up for the first half hour, but after that everything becomes real old real fast and they just want it to end. That's the impression I get from opponents. With four minutes left, they are jabbed, elbowed, pushed, grabbed, dunked on, and morally defeated. All that's left is making sure the scoreboard reflects the beating.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. This team remains a work in progress. Any time you miss over 30 treys in a row, there are concerns. Free throw shooting still bumfuzzles Flyer nation. The offense, at times, sputters. The Flyers will probably lose a couple games they shouldn't. Dayton will continue to hang their hat on defense and numbers -- two things that are slump proof. With 12 angry guys and only five positions on the court, that leaves UD with a two-deep roster and then some. If a couple guys have off nights, there are 10 others to make up for it. Few teams have that luxury. Just like few teams know what hits them after dealing with UD's 40 minutes of insanity. Not even Momma can kiss those boo boos and make the wounds go away. Is this Tom Izzo basketball? It's Brian Gregory basketball. I believe it's the one he's been searching for over the last six years. Gregory has said the city of Dayton is a blue collar town, and this appears to be a blue collar team. No fan base better appreciates a blue collar effort.

Whacker
12-01-2008, 09:55 AM
In less than1,000 words, you've succinctly captured the essence of this year's team. Great job!

Sea Bass
12-01-2008, 10:18 AM
I watched part of the game after getting back from Chicago last night. On the telecast McIlvane made a comment on how physical Wright plays at both endas of the floor. Used the word "sheriff" in describing how he owned the area around the bucket. I have to go back and watch again to hear the exact quote.

Fairborn Fan
12-01-2008, 01:29 PM
Great article Chris! It should be mandatory reading for all UD fans and naysayers alike.

as_4
12-01-2008, 04:45 PM
I'm excited for the game tomorrow. Can't wait to hear how loud the crowd will be to congratulate the Flyers on the tourney win.

Fudd
12-01-2008, 05:51 PM
I'm really beginning to look forward to every game now like it's a basketball fiesta. I have high confidence that we are just going to play our hearts out every game. If we lose a few doing that, I have no complaints.

NYCFLYER
12-01-2008, 06:52 PM
Absolutely a succinct appraisal of the season so far. I would send the boa constrictor analogy to BG. He might be able to use it in team meetings. I just wish it were 13 angry guys....Benson.

San Diego Flyer
12-01-2008, 07:44 PM
It's amazing that this team has found its identity in so few games. What are the two things that are the easiest to achieve when you're ADHD for 40 minutes straight? Rebounding and defense.

Interesting summary Chris---nailed it.

ChicagoFlyer
12-01-2008, 08:12 PM
Man that was ONE HELL OF AN ARTICLE! Great post!!

FlyerinChicago
12-01-2008, 10:00 PM
Lets hope it stays 12 hungry men. Injuries must be minimized this year or we're looking at a repeat of last year.

Tony T 71
12-01-2008, 10:00 PM
Man that was ONE HELL OF AN ARTICLE! Great post!!

Ditto, awesome job Chris

Flyer 86
12-02-2008, 08:33 AM
It's amazing that this team has found its identity in so few games. What are the two things that are the easiest to achieve when you're ADHD for 40 minutes straight? Rebounding and defense.

Interesting summary Chris---nailed it.

good point. Going ADHD on the opposing team with pressure and massive subbing,while maintaining and OWNING the boards and defense.

Keep it up Flyers!

kenstand
12-02-2008, 04:31 PM
Great article. Flyers are all over the court all the time and it is great to see. The team reminds me of the UC teams of Bob Huggins. They always seemed to press, pressure and win too.