UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
UDPride Discussion Forums

UDPride Discussion Forums (http://www.udpride.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mens Basketball (http://www.udpride.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Golden 2nd Half Surge Award - FW (http://www.udpride.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32548)

rollo 11-16-2018 11:35 PM

Golden 2nd Half Surge Award - FW

Since I missed the entire game due to being in C'bus all I can say is that it appears My Flyers made one heck of a 2nd half comeback and quite a few players collectively lead the way. The Royal Player of the Game vote will be interesting and I look forward to reading the comments for each vote as - like I said - I missed all the fun.

Go Flyer! MY Team!! My undefeated team....

frisco flyer 11-16-2018 11:47 PM

My vote goes to Cohill.
His +/- was +23. Highest on the team. By far his best game so far, and he played defense when no one else was playing defense.

Beatty Town Coach 11-17-2018 12:41 AM

Torn between Landers and Mikesell; but voted for Mikesell, because of poise coming in with injury and hitting those huge timely threes. He brought much needed steady hand to the team.

Landers just knows how to rise to the occasion. Great game by many, sans the first half defense...ugh!

Good win and gut check.

steverino015 11-17-2018 01:01 AM

this was a tough one, so many good 2nd half players... I was torn between Josh, Trey, Mikesell and Jerry Mateos as the Beaver... kidding, I always wanted to say that lol! in the end, I just thought Josh stood out among many deserving players... good win right there..

now on to our next opponent Butler... we take them down, we probably will be facing Virginia, need to look at Butler and Virginia and see how we matchup.. Go Flyers!

San Diego Flyer 11-17-2018 02:58 AM

Dwayne Cohill

Mr. Defense is going to show us the light. Intense devotion to defense will win us a lot of games. Dwayne gets my "Kyle Davis Award" for this game. Others are going to have to work hard to match him.

He scores 3 points and is +23.

UDGutter2 11-17-2018 07:49 AM

Contributions from all, but Matos' assists get the nod for me.

Gazoo 11-17-2018 08:10 AM

I have a hard time voting for any guard as sloppy as our closeouts were. I lumped them all together as "run at the ball out of control as fast as you can." Cohill did it too and got burned on backdoors.

But if Cohill had a +/- of +23 in 28 minutes of play, I may be unfairly throwing him out with the rest of the bath water. Someone convince me please. Otherwise I vote for Cunningham because he's not a guard.

T-Bone 84 11-17-2018 08:21 AM

A number of possibilities from last night, but I went with The Captain, Cunningham. 20/8 points/rebounds in his first game back was important, and he got many of those points during our run in the 2nd Half that moved us from trailing to leading.

I also considered Matos for his all-around game (and +/-) and Mikesell for his steadying presence. Disappointed Cohill wasn’t an option, based on his team-best +23 for the night. And kudos to Coach Grant for changing things up to have the guys turn a 5 point deficit into an 11 point win (I noticed that he didn’t bring the guys back out for the 2nd Half until there was about 4:00 left of halftime, and wondered if he wasn’t using the time to get the guys refocused).

At any rate, I thought JC earned it for his first game back from an injury.
Posted via Mobile Device

Jeff 11-17-2018 08:46 AM

Mikesell’s second half impact turned the momentum. Thought Matos played ok, but his d was only so so. The last 5 min of the first half after 3 games is getting troubling. I assumed the first two games may be attributable to not having Josh.not so last night.

San Diego Flyer 11-17-2018 08:58 AM

I am not surprised that Cohill was the only "great eight" player not on the ballot. Rollo must be from Florida. So just to complete my contrarian voting, I actually voted for AG's adjustments and very likely the stern message that went with them.

Defense is what can separate us from the crowd, and I think Cohill and Landers are the type of guys that can lead the parade. And AG's adjustments, timeouts, and lecturing are a big part of our potential.

I wouldn't argue with anyone voting for the other 7 on the ballot. It was a total team deal that was needed to defeat the pesky Wayners.

jack72 11-17-2018 09:01 AM

Loved what Matos brought us last night. He is adjusting to D1 ball, and will be a force with his size and skills. Any of the eight playing last night could have got my vote, and most could have not got my vote in the first half.

My vote to Cunningham. He came back with no cobwebs like he never was gone. He was a man out there. That one slam he had off a rebound right under the basket was classic. It was like, "you boys from Fort Wayne need to get out of my arena, and I mean now!"

Figgie123 11-17-2018 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoo (Post 562453)
But if Cohill had a +/- of +23 in 28 minutes of play, I may be unfairly throwing him out with the rest of the bath water. Someone convince me please. Otherwise I vote for Cunningham because he's not a guard.

Let me fix something. Cohill only played 13 minutes, not 28.

sheg 11-17-2018 10:25 AM

47 points in the first half, 33 in the second. Nice defensive adjustments.

TXFlyerFan 11-17-2018 04:29 PM

Lots of players had moments, good and bad, but ended up going with Trey. Seems like he was just there when they needed someone to pick them up.

ClaytonFlyerFan 11-17-2018 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer (Post 562458)
. Rollo must be from Florida..

Unfortunately I did not see the game so I am not qualified to vote, except in the state of Florida where anyone can vote multiple times and my votes will only be found if my side is losing.

So, Kyle Davis gets all my votes for POG. Nope, still not over my man crush on #3.

Flyer2 11-17-2018 07:40 PM

I like Cohill but his dribbling led to a turnover..... I hate turnovers by guards. His defense was decent.

CvilleFlyer 11-18-2018 12:47 AM

I voted for Matos because he was a lock down defender and he always seemed to be in the right place at the right time! Could have had 9 points but he opted to make a nice behind the back pass.

Jeff 11-18-2018 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer (Post 562446)
Mr. Defense is going to show us the light. Intense devotion to defense will win us a lot of games. Dwayne gets my "Kyle Davis Award" for this game. Others are going to have to work hard to match him.

He scores 3 points and is +23.

Beyond this one game, we may be experiencing insight to how AG will build and maintain the program.

If your a freshman and the staff feels you can contribute right away you play.
Otherwise, you’re redshirted.

Add in a mix of transfers, and by next year the teams top 8 or 9 are significantly better than just a few years ago.

mikeymo85 11-18-2018 07:50 PM

Crutcher led this team to victory.

steverino015 11-18-2018 09:00 PM

a lot of people led this team to victory... and thats the way it needs to be if they o....want any chance at all in defeating Butler and advancing...