UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
UDPride Discussion Forums

UDPride Discussion Forums (http://www.udpride.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mens Basketball (http://www.udpride.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Mikesell (http://www.udpride.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32976)

John C. 03-10-2019 12:26 AM

Mikesell

For a guy that isn't going to lead the team in anything, I don't believe there is a more important player on the team. Amazing how he has progressed and given the team a steadying influence. There is no one on the team that I would rather see with the ball in his hands. Feel pretty confident he will be in the top 5 in minutes next year even if he doesn't start.

Flyer2 03-10-2019 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John C. (Post 579419)
For a guy that isn't going to lead the team in anything, I don't believe there is a more important player on the team. Amazing how he has progressed and given the team a steadying influence. There is no one on the team that I would rather see with the ball in his hands. Feel pretty confident he will be in the top 5 in minutes next year even if he doesn't start.

I totally agree with you as he is a leader and floor general. Ryan and Obi are just consistent rebound, pass, and score. It’s amazing what two good hips can do for you. Ryan and Obi will both start.

Great victory and Ryan’s 3 pointers killed the Dukes.

Only issue I have is with Cohill going to get a technical, at the wrong time, if he doesn’t control his temper. They need to talk to him and have Josh or Trey grab him and tell him to cool it.

rollo 03-10-2019 08:19 AM

The queen likes to call him White-cell but I think I need to change that to Brain-cell.

Bill McPeek 03-10-2019 08:34 AM

Ryan is the "glue" that holds things together.

CE80 03-10-2019 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rollo (Post 579424)
The queen likes to call him White-cell but I think I need to change that to Brain-cell.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill McPeek (Post 579427)
Ryan is the "glue" that holds things together.

Elmer's glue.

Mr_Sweets 03-10-2019 09:02 AM

I know he won't get it (because of the year Obi had), but RM is my MVP this year.
Posted via Mobile Device

Lifelong Flyer Fan 03-10-2019 09:05 AM

I would like to see him receive the A10's Chris Daniels Award (most improved).

udx2 03-10-2019 10:44 AM

Great post John C.

Mikesell has seriously impressed me with his leadership and maturity. After the “Obi surprise” my favorite takeaway of this year so far is Ryan’s return and how much he has contributed.

sheg 03-10-2019 10:52 AM

Mikesell had to recover from his surgeries and find his place on a mostly young team with whom he had barely ever played (neither Cunningham nor Landers played many minutes in 16-17). His play and leadership have steadily improved throughout the season. I'm interested to see this continue into his Senior year.

FORTFLYERFAN 03-10-2019 11:09 AM

Ryan's intangibles have not surprised me at all. I saw him play in HS and his leadership was evident.

What really surprised is how well he transitioned to the college game athletically. When he verballed to the Flyers I was curious where he would play. I did not think he could defend true D1 guards and did not think he was strong enough to handle frontcourt players.

Add the fact that he is coming off of simultaneous hip surgeries, the performance he has put together this season is beyond my reasonable expectations. If he does not win the Chris Daniels award there needs to be an investigation. Regarding team MVP, I think this is a tough year because it seems every night someone different comes up big. Obi has been the most consistent offensively, especially the past 15 games or so but each game different guys step on both sides of the ball.

Sitdowndigger 03-10-2019 11:28 AM

Agree in it being no surprise. Ryan's highlights and contributions as an 18 year old freshman showed a good forecast....next year will be very interesting. Barring anything odd/surprises...transfers, injuries, we will most likely be finally ranked again.

steverino015 03-10-2019 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheg (Post 579456)
Mikesell had to recover from his surgeries and find his place on a mostly young team with whom he had barely ever played (neither Cunningham nor Landers played many minutes in 16-17). His play and leadership have steadily improved throughout the season. I'm interested to see this continue into his Senior year.

that's the thing, he has overcome so much... fantastic player, so reminds me of Pat Murnan (spelling? not sure if its right)... Pat did everything...)

Swampy Meadows 03-10-2019 12:50 PM

Pat Murnen was much more of a shutdown defender. His job on Austin Carr from Notre Dame was masterful. Pat was a capable offensive threat but Donoher basically had to beg him to shoot. But your comparison is spot on — both guys possess complete games.
Posted via Mobile Device

Flyer 86 03-10-2019 04:39 PM

The Mikesell of the last 8 games (or more) is the Ryan we had thought we'd see after hearing about him in practices and seeing him fresh. Year.

It's a real pleasure to watch his growth unfold. We know he had talent. Now hes expressing Leadership an d will, blocks, all of it!

TommyGola 03-10-2019 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyer 86 (Post 579505)
The Mikesell of the last 8 games (or more) is the Ryan we had thought we'd see after hearing about him in practices and seeing him fresh. Year.

It's a real pleasure to watch his growth unfold. We know he had talent. Now hes expressing Leadership an d will, blocks, all of it!

Keep in mind...he has at least one tournament left this year and a senior year that could be outstanding!

66flyer 03-10-2019 06:47 PM

It was great to sit in the section with half of the St. Henry population, lol. He came through big time.

OSU Flyer 03-10-2019 07:58 PM

His shot blocking this year has been a revelation. Guy has a motor

Lowd&ProUD 03-10-2019 08:03 PM

I had the same exact thought about Mikesell during the Duquesne game. That a case could be made for Ryan to be this year's team MVP. And I honestly thought I was alone in thinking that.

I'm not sure I would actually cast the vote for him over Obi. But I'm not going to argue against a vote for RM either.

To do what he did this year was impressive enough.

To do it after two hip surgeries is other worldly.

He should be getting an E:60 spot for what he's done.

Marysville Flyer 03-10-2019 09:04 PM

The best thing about RM I think is that the few times he makes a bad pass, is late on a rotation etc. 1.) he doesn’t hang his head and compound the problem and 2.) he usually makes a great play shortly after it

I knew early on he was a heady player and a hustler. Just wasnt sure he had the lateral quickness to not be a defensive liability against top competition. From a leadership standpoint he reminds me of Devin Oiiver. That elite 8 run never happens without his all around game and leadership. That kind of contribution is immeasurable and I think Ryan is chock full of it too.

Posted via Mobile Device

BlueMiniS 03-10-2019 10:13 PM

Who knew Mikesell would be our chase down block guy? That's been fun.

CvilleFlyer 03-10-2019 10:50 PM

Ryan is a model of consistency. Jim Paxson Jr. is who comes to mind because he was constantly in motion and also was the type of player that wasn't spectacular at anything but was always making the big play being in the right place at the right time just as Mikesell is.

If the Flyers make a run and win 3 games in 3 days and become the A-10 conference champion you can bet Mikesell will have had important contributions in all 3 of them!

T-Bone 84 03-10-2019 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueMiniS (Post 579552)
Who knew Mikesell would be our chase down block guy? That's been fun.

Yeah, I guess the hip surgery was a success, huh?

What I love most about his game is, he does whatever the team needs him to do to secure a victory. The offense is stagnating? He’ll either make a cut into the lane or get open for a 3. The opposition has been owning us on the boards? He’ll box-out whoever is near, and grab the crucial rebound. The opposition has a breakaway chance for a layin? He’ll chase-down the shooter and try to block the shot. We need it? He does it. That’s the sign of a winner.
Posted via Mobile Device

m21eagle45 03-11-2019 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyer2 (Post 579420)
Only issue I have is with Cohill going to get a technical, at the wrong time, if he doesn’t control his temper. They need to talk to him and have Josh or Trey grab him and tell him to cool it.

You want Trey to talk to him and tell him to cool it? Trey Landers?

TheDuke2003 03-11-2019 09:30 AM

I don't know how you take him off the floor next year. I start him at the 3 over Trey. Let Trey be the energy guy off the bench backing up multiple people. Outside of Obi and Crutcher, Mikesell should get the next most minutes on the team. The question becomes does Davis hold onto the starting 2 spot or does someone like Ibi or Chatman take that role? And does Obi start at the 5 or be the 4 with Jordy being the big man?

My guess:

PG: Crutcher, Cohill
SG: Ibi, Davis (or possibly Sinclair dude)
SF: Mikesell, Landers
PF: Obi, Chase
C: Jordy, Sissoko

The team next year will be deep, athletic, and big. Could be a good year to do more full court pressing if they feel they can run 10 deep and keep everyone fresh. Chatman will fit in there somewhere, just not sure where.

CT Flyer 03-11-2019 09:37 AM

Chatman scored more than 13 per in his sophomore year. He will play plenty and will score plenty whether it be from the point or one of the off guard positions.

UDGutter2 03-11-2019 10:01 AM

Who is this Mikesell guy people talk about? Do you mean Mikesle, who the Spectrum announcers rave about?

steve 03-11-2019 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT Flyer (Post 579587)
Chatman scored more than 13 per in his sophomore year. He will play plenty and will score plenty whether it be from the point or one of the off guard positions.

Not sure what your definition is on scoring plenty.I doubt you mean he'll increase his ppg average from his soph. season. There very well could be 4-5 guys averaging double figers (as Bucky would say) next season and all right in that 11-14 range and a couple more in the 7-9 range.....

CT Flyer 03-11-2019 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve (Post 579607)
Not sure what your definition is on scoring plenty.I doubt you mean he'll increase his ppg average from his soph. season. There very well could be 4-5 guys averaging double figers (as Bucky would say) next season and all right in that 11-14 range and a couple more in the 7-9 range.....

I think he will be a double digit scorer for us, which was in response to TheDuke2003 who didn't even list him in his ten man rotation, albeit he mentioned after, but I just don't think Chatman will be an afterthought.

steve 03-11-2019 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT Flyer (Post 579609)
I think he will be a double digit scorer for us, which was in response to TheDuke2003 who didn't even list him in his ten man rotation, albeit he mentioned after, but I just don't think Chatman will be an afterthought.

Agree with you..He'll interchange at the 1 and 2 and he'll be one of those double digit scorers....

MrFlyerFanatic 03-11-2019 11:24 AM

I know this thread is a Mikesell love-fest, but does anyone else find him putting his mouthpiece behind his ear a little disgusting?

steverino015 03-11-2019 11:31 AM

if it bothers the opponents, hope he keeps on doing it...)

Medford 03-11-2019 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrFlyerFanatic (Post 579619)
I know this thread is a Mikesell love-fest, but does anyone else find him putting his mouthpiece behind his ear a little disgusting?

Not really.... I'd hate to know all the germs my mouth piece collected thru the course of a season back in HS. I know I don't want to know how many germs are on my sons by the end of his season.

O Doyle Rules 03-11-2019 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDuke2003 (Post 579584)
I don't know how you take him off the floor next year. I start him at the 3 over Trey. Let Trey be the energy guy off the bench backing up multiple people. Outside of Obi and Crutcher, Mikesell should get the next most minutes on the team. The question becomes does Davis hold onto the starting 2 spot or does someone like Ibi or Chatman take that role? And does Obi start at the 5 or be the 4 with Jordy being the big man?

My guess:

The team next year will be deep, athletic, and big. Could be a good year to do more full court pressing if they feel they can run 10 deep and keep everyone fresh. Chatman will fit in there somewhere, just not sure where.

Chatman will be in the mix, but what about Matos? That puts us up to 12 players who may deserve lots of playing time. CAG will need to reach out to Brian Gregory on the proper execution of complete line-up changes every three minutes.

rollo 03-11-2019 12:14 PM

Quote:

All good farm moms teach their kids the importance of washing behind their ears, opening doors for the ladies, how to drive a stick shift, saying their prayers at night and making late game FTs...so I wouldn't worry.

steve 03-11-2019 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDuke2003 (Post 579584)

My guess:

I'm betting Obi's not even being here next year.Even as productive as Mikesell can be he won't play over 30 mpg so there's 10 available minutes right there, imo...Also, I'm assuming there will also be plenty of UD wins well out-of-hand by the 10 minute mark of games next year and with RM's previous hip issues they might want to play him at his optimal with a bit more rest to keep him fresh through-out the year..

I'm also betting there's 1-2 transfers...

Medford 03-11-2019 12:54 PM

I'm guessing that Sissoko plays sparingly next season, b/w Jordy, Obi, Chase, Mikesell & landers, there are few too many minutes hanging out down low. Cohill doesn't play PG when Jalen sits this year, I doubt he plays much at the point next year, Chatman will get whatever PG minutes Jalen doesn't, plus probably a few with one of the two sliding over to SG and both in the game at times.

Ibi, Davis, Cohill, Chips and Landers getting time at the 2-3 spots.

It wouldn't surprise me to see someone transfer, should almost be expected from every team across the NCAA to lose at least 1 transfer a year.

sheg 03-11-2019 01:11 PM

Crutcher 15 ppg
Chatman 15 ppg
Davis 15 ppg
Watson 15 ppg
Landers 10 ppg
McNeil 15 ppg
Cohill 10 ppg
Matos 5 ppg
Mikesell 20 ppg
Johnson 10 ppg
Toppin 22 ppg
Tshimanga 10 ppg
Sissoko 2 ppg

Total 164 ppg

312to937 03-11-2019 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheg (Post 579639)
Crutcher 15 ppg
Chatman 15 ppg
Davis 15 ppg
Watson 15 ppg
Landers 10 ppg
McNeil 15 ppg
Cohill 10 ppg
Matos 5 ppg
Mikesell 20 ppg
Johnson 10 ppg
Toppin 22 ppg
Tshimanga 10 ppg
Sissoko 2 ppg

Total 164 ppg

Post of the year (so far).
Posted via Mobile Device

Radar 03-11-2019 01:45 PM

Quote:

In their never ending attempt to avoid consistency in applying the rules, there was a home game where the ref pulled Mikesell aside and told him he could not put the mouthpiece behind his ear...and it was NOT Ted Valentine! The ref was like, "either put it in your mouth and keep it there or get rid of it altogether!"

Probobly some uniform violation along the lines of the Richmond player not having a headband that was consistent with their jersey color. Needless to say, Ryan was friggin' incredulous.

Never saw a ref do this before...or since!

IndianaFlyer 03-11-2019 02:40 PM

Quote:

Nope.
Posted via Mobile Device

EliteEight 03-11-2019 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UDGutter2 (Post 579594)
Who is this Mikesell guy people talk about? Do you mean Mikesle, who the Spectrum announcers rave about?

Listening to him is infuriating. Mikesle, Mikesle, Mikesle...can he read? It's not French.

Buster Goode 03-11-2019 02:59 PM

I sure hope Mikesell starts, I can't imagine him not starting.

Crutcher, Watson, Landers, Mikesell, Obi - assuming Obi is back.

jack72 03-11-2019 03:27 PM

Quote:

Yes, my wife. After she thought about it awhile she said that his ear is probably cleaner than his hands that have touched the ball and opposing players. Does anybody really think anybody with a mouthguard in any sport keeps it in until they get to the locker room to wash their hands? Just win baby!

EliteEight 03-11-2019 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buster Goode (Post 579662)
I sure hope Mikesell starts, I can't imagine him not starting.

Crutcher, Watson, Landers, Mikesell, Obi - assuming Obi is back.

Not sure, why I'm responding to this but here we go...If a name is mentioned twice it's because I think the player will get PT at the position

Total Roster as of 3/11/2019
1. Crutcher
2. Davis
3. Cohill
4. Matos
5. Chatman
6. Watson
7. Mikesell
8. Landers
9. Johnson
10. Pollicelli
11. Toppin
12. Tshimanga
13. Sissoko

PG: Crutcher, Chatman, Davis
SG: Watson, Davis, Cohill, Matos, Crutcher
SF: Mikesell, Watson, Landers, Matos, Pollicelli
PF: Toppin, Johnson, Mikesell, Landers
C: Jordy Tshimanga, Toppin, Johnson, Sissoko

I think we will be playing a lot of small ball with multiple guard sets and play higher pressure defense. Starters will likely be determined over the summer but I'm leaning towards Crutch, Ibi, Mikesell, Obi, Jordy.

Sissoko should Redshirt, if he doesn't it may tell us something about Jordy or the roster in general. Heavy loaded JR class next year.

Jeff 03-11-2019 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyer 86 (Post 579505)

Spot on.

shocka43 03-11-2019 11:15 PM

Quote:

You ever seen what goes on in a locker room? Mouthpiece behind the ear is baby stuff.

shocka43 03-11-2019 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EliteEight (Post 579673)
Total Roster as of 3/11/2019
1. Crutcher
2. Davis
3. Cohill
4. Matos
5. Chatman
6. Watson
7. Mikesell
8. Landers
9. Johnson
10. Pollicelli
11. Toppin
12. Tshimanga
13. Sissoko

PG: Crutcher, Chatman, Davis
SG: Watson, Davis, Cohill, Matos, Crutcher
SF: Mikesell, Watson, Landers, Matos, Pollicelli
PF: Toppin, Johnson, Mikesell, Landers
C: Jordy Tshimanga, Toppin, Johnson, Sissoko

I think this full line here is one less name going in to next year.

Flyer2 03-12-2019 02:13 AM

Quote:

Maybe he’ll sell them on eBay but that might be a violation of NCAA rules.
Of course they need to be autographed.

T-Bone 84 03-12-2019 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O Doyle Rules (Post 579624)
...CAG will need to reach out to Brian Gregory on the proper execution of complete line-up changes every three minutes.

Bite. Your. Freaking. Tongue.
Posted via Mobile Device

longtimefan67 03-12-2019 06:59 AM

I said way back here: http://www.udpride.com/forums/showth...light=Mikesell that RM would play a big role this year. I knew he'd not disappoint. Man I get tired of being right all the time....

UDGutter2 03-12-2019 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T-Bone 84 (Post 579728)
Posted via Mobile Device

No, don't do that, get your mouthguard from behind your ear and use it.

moville 03-12-2019 08:51 AM

Swampy and Steverino mentioned the great Pat Murnen, who scored the first field goal ever in the Arena . . . in '70 he "held" Carr to around 30 in our big win . . . but Austin shot under 25% for the game . . . the next year, at the ND Convocation Center, the greatest college game I ever saw, ND beat us by one . . . Austin had 49, our guy, George Jackson had 30+ . . . but we lost because Pat was hurt and didn't play. No way Carr lights us up with Pat guarding him. But I digress, hopefully a great weekend in Brooklyn for the Flyers and fans.

steverino015 03-12-2019 09:11 AM

Quote:

Posted via Mobile Device

reach out to Brian Gregory....with a fist...)

steverino015 03-12-2019 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moville (Post 579733)
Swampy and Steverino mentioned the great Pat Murnen, who scored the first field goal ever in the Arena . . . in '70 he "held" Carr to around 30 in our big win . . . but Austin shot under 25% for the game . . . the next year, at the ND Convocation Center, the greatest college game I ever saw, ND beat us by one . . . Austin had 49, our guy, George Jackson had 30+ . . . but we lost because Pat was hurt and didn't play. No way Carr lights us up with Pat guarding him. But I digress, hopefully a great weekend in Brooklyn for the Flyers and fans.

I was at the game in the Arena...) Pat did a fantastic job...

CE80 03-12-2019 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longtimefan67 (Post 579730)
I said way back here: http://www.udpride.com/forums/showth...light=Mikesell that RM would play a big role this year. I knew he'd not disappoint. Man I get tired of being right all the time....

Better you than udscott.

steve 03-12-2019 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steverino015 (Post 579736)
I was at the game in the Arena...) Pat did a fantastic job...

Absolutely. Know Pat very very well and just by knowing him and his personality you'd have to just assume he was an in-your-face defender and took tons of pride in it, even at the expense of being a double-digit scorer which he would have been....

O Doyle Rules 03-12-2019 12:14 PM

Quote:

Posted via Mobile Device

Quote:

Originally Posted by UDGutter2 (Post 579731)
No, don't do that, get your mouthguard from behind your ear and use it.

I think I will opt for your suggestion and respectfully decline T-Bone 84's recommendation.

In fact, I would even take Mikesell's mouthguard from behind his ear and use it before I would even consider T-Bone 84's option.

LIBob 03-12-2019 01:16 PM

If this team can somehow pull out a win in the A-10 Tournament and next year's team turns out as good as billed, Mikesell could play in the NCAA Tournament for all 4 years he plays.

moville 03-12-2019 04:18 PM

Back to Pat Murnen for a second . . . don't forget that about a week after Pat neutralized Austin Carr in '70, Notre Dame came back to the Arena for the first ever NCAA game at our place . . . and scored 61 points against Ohio U. The second game had WKU and Jim McDaniels against Jacksonville and Artis Gilmore - starting for Jacksonville (which won the game) was former Flyer Mike Blevins who transferred there. We lost that night to Houston.