UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
UDPride Discussion Forums

UDPride Discussion Forums (http://www.udpride.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mens Basketball (http://www.udpride.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   All Conference Team (http://www.udpride.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32981)

BeckysTXA 03-11-2019 09:58 AM

All Conference Team

Last year I think it came out on Tuesday - which if the same is tomorrow.

Obi should be ROY. I think the VCU coach will be COY. I think Josh gets recognized but probably 2nd or 3rd team. Do Ryan and/or Jalen pick up something? Jalen was on the all-Rookie team last year.

Ready Action 03-11-2019 10:30 AM

DDN said Ryan should be in the running for Most Improved Player of the Year award which is a name I do not like. I haven't looked, but hopefully there is a Comeback Player or the Year award which he will get.

steve 03-11-2019 10:39 AM

I think Josh, at the best, gets 3rd team. Might be a real strong case for Obi to be a 1st team selection if they emphasize the top teams and players having huge overall impacts..Remember, Josh was picked as a 1st teamer in the pre-season and even as a POTY projection and how many teams would recover from not only Josh having a rather sub-par year but,ironically, finishing even higher than their pres-season projection.

Total team effort but this team finishes several spots lower as in way lower without Obi..

Lifelong Flyer Fan 03-11-2019 10:46 AM

Obi just got his 7th ROW. He should get the Rookie Award and it shouldn't be a "Co" with anyone. the next highest player has 4.
I want Mikesell to get the Chris Daniels award, although I doubt we would get two top awards.

CT Flyer 03-11-2019 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lifelong Flyer Fan (Post 579606)
Obi just got his 7th ROW. He should get the Rookie Award and it shouldn't be a "Co" with anyone. the next highest player has 4.
I want Mikesell to get the Chris Daniels award, although I doubt we would get two top awards.

Why is that? If players are deserving why does it matter what team they are on? Last year Davidson got POY (co) and ROY so there is precedent.

Lifelong Flyer Fan 03-11-2019 10:54 AM

Just my gut. No it shouldn't matter and I would like to be wrong.

Columbia Blue 03-11-2019 11:00 AM

Here's all the awards up for grabs, including an all-rookie team (Obi):
http://www.atlantic10.com/ViewArticl...CLID=211704410

Here's some conference stats for your speculation
http://a10stats.com/sports/mbkb/2018-19/leaders

MrFlyerFanatic 03-11-2019 11:19 AM

Obi is also eligible for 6th man. Charles Little won it one season when he came off the bench in the first conference game and then started every game after that.
Gudmunnson likely POY.

springborofan 03-11-2019 12:19 PM

I think Charlie Brown will win comeback player of the year

Alberto Strasse 03-11-2019 12:34 PM

My First Team Picks for A-10 Honors

Toppin - Dayton
Evans - VCU
Grady - Davidson
Stockard - SBU
Kier - G Mason

Medford 03-11-2019 12:40 PM

All defensive team? Probably no Flyers to be found on there.

The Fly 03-11-2019 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alberto Strasse (Post 579632)
Toppin - Dayton
Evans - VCU
Grady - Davidson
Stockard - SBU
Kier - G Mason

I see Evans as POY. Jon Axel Gudmundsson has had a better year than Grady, so I think he’ll be first team and Grady second team.

If there’s justice in the league, Obi will be both first team and ROY. Josh has an outside chance at second team but will likely be third team. I see Jalen as a third team candidate, too. I agree with whoever said Charlie Brown will be comeback player of the year.

steve 03-11-2019 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Medford (Post 579633)
All defensive team? Probably no Flyers to be found on there.

Ya that stuff usually comes with a player that has huge numbers in blocks, steals or rebounding which none of these players have. I'd rather take the 4-5 guys that average over 5 rpg, the 31% 3 pt. FG % allowed ( vs..383% last year) and, more importantly, UD leading the entire country in fewest fouls committed (13.8 per game)..

Buster Goode 03-11-2019 03:03 PM

Obi 1st team
Mikesell should be 3rd team

Josh just didn't play well enough for a spot.

BeckysTXA 03-11-2019 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buster Goode (Post 579663)
Obi 1st team
Mikesell should be 3rd team

Josh just didn't play well enough for a spot.

Josh has better rebounding stats and in the ballpark scoring numbers (14.4 vs 13.8) with Obi...
I’m thinking 2nd or 3rd team for both. There is a reason teams have been double teaming Josh all year long.

Sea Bass 03-11-2019 11:53 PM

first team
John Axel-Gudmunssen (POY)
Marcus Evans
Obi Toppin
Charlie Brown
Kellan Grady

Gazoo 03-12-2019 09:26 AM

I don't think there's a good chance for Obi to be first team. 15th in scoring, 22nd in rebounding, 2nd in FG%, 16th in blocks, not even top 50 in minutes played, doesn't rank in assists or A/TO. Others with gaudy numbers will get selected.

Like URI with 3 guys in the top 15 in scoring. If only they only had to play 1 end of the court.

MD Flyer Pride 03-12-2019 02:05 PM

Obi gets Rookie of the Year, 1st Team and All-Rookie team!

Josh and Jalen Crutcher get 3rd Team!

Mikesell with All-Academic Team!

http://www.atlantic10.com/ViewArticl...CLID=211795159

Go Flyers!

Flyer Al 03-12-2019 02:16 PM

Quite an accomplishment, and what a future, for Obi! Congrats, young man!

Widget 03-12-2019 02:25 PM

First freshman on the A-10 first team since Lamar Odom.

lhsgolf19 03-12-2019 02:27 PM

According to Jablonski, Obi is the first freshman to make 1st team since Lamar Odom 20 years ago
Posted via Mobile Device

Figgie123 03-12-2019 02:33 PM

This is also UD's first A10 Freshman of the Year.

ud69 03-12-2019 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoo (Post 579738)
I don't think there's a good chance for Obi to be first team. 15th in scoring, 22nd in rebounding, 2nd in FG%, 16th in blocks, not even top 50 in minutes played, doesn't rank in assists or A/TO. Others with gaudy numbers will get selected.

Like URI with 3 guys in the top 15 in scoring. If only they only had to play 1 end of the court.

Forget the numbers. I think the reason Obi made first team is because he is a game changer that opposing coaches fear they have no answer for.

Lifelong Flyer Fan 03-12-2019 02:52 PM

Obi
on awards
https://twitter.com/DavidPJablonski/...37151062675459
on NBA
https://twitter.com/DavidPJablonski/...37701405696000

Archdeacon has an article coming this week after interviewing Obi's mom. Arch said "Flyer fans will eat it up!"

TA111 03-12-2019 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ud69 (Post 579784)
Forget the numbers. I think the reason OBI made first team is because he is a game changer that opposing coaches fear they have no answer for.

Yes, this is voted on by the coaches. They know who the top players are.

Gazoo 03-12-2019 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ud69 (Post 579784)
Forget the numbers. I think the reason OBI made first team is because he is a game changer that opposing coaches fear they have no answer for.

Holy crap!!!! Great for him and Dayton.

The Fly 03-12-2019 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lifelong Flyer Fan (Post 579785)

What a humble, gracious kid. For him, it’s all about the team. This is one player whose head is screwed on right. We’re lucky to have him in the Flyers fold!

steve 03-12-2019 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Fly (Post 579790)
What a humble, gracious kid. For him, it’s all about the team. This is one player whose head is screwed on right. We’re lucky to have him in the Flyers fold!

Great kid but what's he suppose to say?

CT Flyer 03-12-2019 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve (Post 579791)
Great kid but what's he suppose to say?

Trust me as a high school AD I see many kids who don't say the right things!

Chris R 03-12-2019 03:28 PM

Odom was technically a sophomore. At least according to the A10. But he did also make All Rookie. I suspect the A10 will also label Toppin a sophomore? Both sat out a year to academics. Before that, the last frosh to make A10 1st Team was Mark Macon in 1988.

steve 03-12-2019 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT Flyer (Post 579793)
Trust me as a high school AD I see many kids who don't say the right things!

But he's not a HS kid and he's 21. And when's the last time you heard ANY college kid answer the same question differently during the season? "Ya, winning is cool here at UD but time to go get me some money in the NBA"..

MrFlyerFanatic 03-12-2019 03:48 PM

Those sneaky SOB coaches!
Pile the honors on Obi this year so he leaves for the NBA and they don't have to deal with him next year.
Don't let them play you Obi. There's still POY to get next season.

However, if I take the conspiracy theory a step further, they will want to make sure Obi gets a team honor as well, in which case UD will be cutting nets on Sunday!

bryan 03-12-2019 03:52 PM

Which of Grants assistants is responsible for identifying/landing Obi?

BeckysTXA 03-12-2019 04:01 PM

So glad for Josh and Jalen too. Josh’s numbers were on par with Obi’s so being named one of the top 15 players in the league is a true honor. Now everyone go win this tourney...seasons not done yet. Send Josh off on a high note.

Radar 03-12-2019 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bryan (Post 579803)
Which of Grants assistants is responsible for identifying/landing Obi?

Ricardo Greer I believe

T-Bone 84 03-12-2019 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lhsgolf19 (Post 579780)
According to Jablonski, Obi is the first freshman to make 1st team since Lamar Odom 20 years ago
Posted via Mobile Device

Just keep Obi away from the Kardashians.
Posted via Mobile Device

maddog07 03-12-2019 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris R (Post 579794)
Odom was technically a sophomore. At least according to the A10. But he did also make All Rookie. I suspect the A10 will also label Toppin a sophomore? Both sat out a year to academics. Before that, the last frosh to make A10 1st Team was Mark Macon in 1988.

Didn’t Obi spend 5 years in HS and another redshirted last year?

Unlikely his interest in academics is going to motivate him to stay.
Posted via Mobile Device

FlyerBob 03-12-2019 10:51 PM

My gut is that Obi stays if Coach Grant advises/asks him to. I just don’t see an arrogant bone in his body and frankly a bit of innocence despite his age. I think we have him one more year and then he leaves if his development continues.

BeckysTXA 03-13-2019 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyerBob (Post 579858)
My gut is that Obi stays if Coach Grant advises/asks him to. I just don’t see an arrogant bone in his body and frankly a bit of innocence despite his age. I think we have him one more year and then he leaves if his development continues.

This is my inkling. It’s his decision. One more year gives him 3 academic years. He could easily finish online or after a pro career with one year left. Most teams stay and take a class or two during the summer, so he might even have less than a year left. And one more year under AG should only raise his prospects as a pro.

Can’t wait to see his game soar whatever court he takes his game to. I do NOT see him leaving after this semester. I think he’s having a blast in college and loves this program and team.

I have several times this year wished he had had a chance to be a teammate with Big Steve. Two guys that could light up a room with personality and attitude every young man should learn from. They would have been a force on and off the court.

T-Bone 84 03-13-2019 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyerBob (Post 579858)

Coach could point to Joakim Noah and Al Horford as examples of guys who played more than a season with him as a coach (albeit, in an Assistant’s role back then, but still...). An extra year at the college level certainly didn’t hold them back from having successful NBA careers; it probably helped. But I agree that it’s something Obi and his family will discuss with Coach before making such a jump.
Posted via Mobile Device

BeckysTXA 03-13-2019 08:43 AM

I’ll add that several years ago I had a frontrow seat to an NFL player and over the years he had several teammates hold out during training camp and one even into the first game or two of the regular season. The fans were all over the players for holding out but the teammates were not. For them there was this unwritten rule that they supported each other when it came to doing what you had to do to get the most money.

It’s a little different here, but I suspect all his teammates will be 100% in support of Obi to make the decision that is best for him to achieve his dream. Grant is a former player and thus probably on that same page. He’ll layout the pluses and minuses for either decision (stay one more year or go after this season) and in the end he’ll be 100% supportive of Obi and his family.

Personally, I don’t think any amount of money would be enough for me to pass on Flyer Fanatics chanting “Ibi-Obi-Ibi-Obi-Ibi-Obi” at UD Arena for a season, but who knows?��

Radar 03-13-2019 09:27 AM

If he goes, I bet there's a certain Dallas G-leaguer that hopes the Mavs don't draft him!

steverino015 03-13-2019 09:39 AM

I can't be sure, but I thought I saw somewhere that Obi's plan was to stay through his junior year, and try the NBA draft after that season was finished... can't remember where I saw it... I am sure AG is advising him also... hope he stays 2 more seasons

San Diego Flyer 03-13-2019 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoo (Post 579738)

None of them have the swag that Obi has. He is a human highlight reel. His name and exploits we're first page news often. That eclipsed any and all stats.

Fudd 03-13-2019 12:12 PM

I think that when you watch Obi play, you realize that he has an inordinate impact on the entire game.

At least, that is how I feel when I watch him.

I've seen people complain about his defensive block stats. I think that he changes and even prevents shots a lot of the time, that go untold in the stats.

He helps break the press as a huge target for lob passes when guys are in trouble. He serves the same purpose for in-bounding the ball under pressure. He even handles the ball across mid-court on occasion. He goes coast-to-coast on breaks.

The opposing big men always have their head on a swivel when Obi is near the bucket. He might be the biggest ally-oop threat I have ever seen.

His dunks are demoralizing to the other team and bring the crowd into the game.

He is a darn good passer and assist man.

He has good post moves.

He can't be ignored on the perimeter or mid-range.

In other words, he is a triple threat and an enormous headache for opposing coaches who vote for the all-A10 teams.

jack72 03-13-2019 02:17 PM

I agree that Obi is a decent defensive player and shot blocker. He is not Cohill, but is as good as most others on this team.

The thing that is amazing is how he keeps improving. His rebounding, defense and outside game are much better than earlier in the year. Project that improvement over next season and we will be talking all-american mention.

Gazoo 03-14-2019 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeckysTXA (Post 579871)
Personally, I don’t think any amount of money would be enough for me to pass on Flyer Fanatics chanting “Ibi-Obi-Ibi-Obi-Ibi-Obi” at UD Arena for a season, but who knows?��

I love the Flyers but I'll sell every one of you down the river for the right price. Let there be no doubt. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by jack72 (Post 579940)
I agree that Obi is a decent defensive player and shot blocker. He is not Cohill, but is as good as most others on this team.

The thing that is amazing is how he keeps improving. His rebounding, defense and outside game are much better than earlier in the year. Project that improvement over next season and we will be talking all-american mention.

As long as he doesn't get comfortable and continues to believe he has something to prove he's going to be something. But it's a funny thing, everyone wants to be a millionaire or billionaire but the more progress you make the easier it is to say "I'm no longer willing to sacrifice X for Y." Most are not driven enough to ever make it.

Obi needs to take 500 3's per day in the summer, spend an hour on ball handling drills, and time in the weight room. Human nature is that you start to feel good about yourself and take a break.

Don't do it Obi.

Glen Clark 03-14-2019 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoo (Post 580048)
. . . everyone wants to be a millionaire or billionaire . . .

Really? Not me - sounds like nothing but a headache.