UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
UDPride Discussion Forums

UDPride Discussion Forums (http://www.udpride.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mens Basketball (http://www.udpride.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   On to 2018-19 (http://www.udpride.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31988)

springborofan 04-08-2018 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alberto Strasse (Post 547120)
2019 Atlantic 10 Dayton Men's Basketball Final Standings
1. Saint Louis
2. St Joseph's
3. George Mason
4. Davidson
5. VCU
6. St Bonaventure
7. Rhode Island
8. UMASS
9. Duquesne
10. Richmond
11. Dayton
12. Fordham
13. GW
14. LaSalle

The reality for UD is that they have a way to go to become competitive in the conference
and their roster is in complete disrepair. Patience will be necessary while Anthony Grant and staff correct the problem. His performance can be judged after 3 years on the job. Fasten your seat belts Flyer fans as you prepare for next year. A quick turn around does not appear to be forthcoming. God bless David Jablonski for his view of the Flyers through his Red and Blue glasses.

That is an extremely pessimistic viewpoint. If UD places this low in conference next season I'd join the chorus asking to put AG on the hot seat. I think the team is already better than last year's team with some meaningful pieces still to be gathered over the next six weeks.

longtimefan 04-08-2018 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alberto Strasse (Post 547120)
2019 Atlantic 10 Dayton Men's Basketball Final Standings
1. Saint Louis
2. St Joseph's
3. George Mason
4. Davidson
5. VCU
6. St Bonaventure
7. Rhode Island
8. UMASS
9. Duquesne
10. Richmond
11. Dayton
12. Fordham
13. GW
14. LaSalle

The reality for UD is that they have a way to go to become competitive in the conference and their roster is in complete disrepair. Patience will be necessary while Anthony Grant and staff correct the problem. His performance can be judged after 3 years on the job. Fasten your seat belts Flyer fans as you prepare for next year. A quick turn around does not appear to be forthcoming. God bless David Jablonski for his view of the Flyers through his Red and Blue glasses.

Couldn't disagree more. The roster is in complete disrepair? It's already better than it was last year, and we still have five scholarships available.

CE80 04-08-2018 10:20 AM

So is Jablo parroting what has been said to him by coaches or others close to the team or is this his own observation? Did the coaches tell him this so they can lower expectations only to exceed them?

I think next year, the level of play in the A10 (including the Flyers) is going to be better than this past season but without any dominant team. Next season may be very competitive but we will be eating our own and may be more likely a one bid year than in the past.

THirt 04-08-2018 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longtimefan (Post 547124)
Couldn't disagree more. The roster is in complete disrepair? It's already better than it was last year, and we still have five scholarships available.

+1

Alberto had his timing wrong. The roster *was* in complete disrepair and it *is* no longer in complete disrepair.

We had at least a couple guys who didn’t want to be here (I’d argue three, the three tallest departures, maybe 4). We had another tall guy that didn’t play this season, but probably wasn’t going to really develop into a top-level A10 player. He did AG a favor in the previous offseason. We had a European player who came over to see if he could compete at this level (spoiler alert: he couldn’t) and is heading back. We had a guard who seemed like a great guy, but just was too unreliable to play meaningful minutes. Then we graduated one guy who led the team in turnovers. Baby D was asked to do too much this year, he tried his best, and as (pretty much) stated above, he was suited to be a 3rd or 4th option, not a #1 option.

We replace those guys with a top-100ish freshman combo guard, a 6’6” physically mature junior college wing, a 6’7” redshirt junior with a solid all-around game, and a 6’9” athletic redshirt freshman who reportedly has good upside. Plus, our returning guys have a whole offseason to improve, and they were good last year!

PLUS, we have five open spots. If you want to say that puts the roster in “disrepair” well, okay, I guess. But you then have to acknowledge that we are going to fill at least some of those spots with guys who will at least be able to contribute more than Jordan Pierce did last year. What if we get another junior college guy, a grad transfer, and a good freshman, then a sit-out transfer and maybe leave one slot open? Disrepair? Please.

Do I think we win the A10 next year? Probably not, but 11th is laughably pessimistic.
Posted via Mobile Device

BRob2Perryman3 04-08-2018 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CE80 (Post 547126)
So is Jablo parroting what has been said to him by coaches or others close to the team or is this his own observation? Did the coaches tell him this so they can lower expectations only to exceed them?

I think next year, the level of play in the A10 (including the Flyers) is going to be better than this past season but without any dominant team. Next season may be very competitive but we will be eating our own and may be more likely a one bid year than in the past.

Oddly enough we said that alot last year, Juan Bidd was a hot topic of conversation. And per usual we managed to get not TWO but THREE teams in! in today's environment, 3 should be the goal

jack72 04-08-2018 10:48 AM

The mainstream media are saying the UD basketball program is in total chaos. I say, we will be better than last year by several wins, and could get third place. Four of the five guys who played the most, and mattered, will be back. The four new guys will be better than the five we lost.

longtimefan 04-08-2018 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CE80 (Post 547126)

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Jablonski had us 4th. That would not be lowering expectations. Alberto Strasse put us 11th.

NCkevi 04-08-2018 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jack72 (Post 547129)
The mainstream media are saying the UD basketball program is in total chaos.

Links?

CE80 04-08-2018 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longtimefan (Post 547130)
I'm not sure what you mean by this. Jablonski had us 4th. That would not be lowering expectations. Alberto Strasse put us 11th.

Oops. My bad. I agree on 4th not on 11th.

BRob2Perryman3 04-08-2018 12:04 PM

Quote:

The mainstream media are saying the UD basketball program is in total chaos. I say, we will be better than last year by several wins, and could get third place. Four of the five guys who played the most, and mattered, will be back. The four new guys will be better than the five we lost.

Technically 8 guys could be seeing the court for the first time in a Flyer uniform next season. Doubtful but the possibility exists.

maddog07 04-08-2018 12:37 PM

We keep drinking to kool aid. I'll believe it when I see it. Last year we had a great Chec shooter coming, older and mature ready to make it happen. And the GF 2.0, likely a double double machine. A 7' beast from NJ, plus the top kid in South Carolina and we were awful. Seems like we are singing the same song now. This is what it must be like to be a Fordham fan, " wait til next year, everyone will be way better".

We lost our second leading scorer, third best rebounder and a good defender in DD. Unless we find some kids to play defense, particularly at guard, someone who can penetrate and some rebounders we will stay in the bottom half of the conference. We are not improved at this point and perhaps actually weaker minus DD. We need a lot of help. Getting rid of the guys who didn't play fixes little. We bring back four of our five starters and they flat out did not get it done. Hoping AG can bring in proven talent fast.
Posted via Mobile Device

San Diego Flyer 04-08-2018 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THirt (Post 547127)
+1

PLUS, we have five open spots. If you want to say that puts the roster in “disrepair” well, okay, I guess. But you then have to acknowledge that we are going to fill at least some of those spots with guys who will at least be able to contribute more than Jordan Pierce did last year. What if we get another junior college guy, a grad transfer, and a good freshman, then a sit-out transfer and maybe leave one slot open? Disrepair? Please.

This is were the money is next season. Do it right and we are top 4. Do it wrong and we are simply better than last season.

THirt 04-08-2018 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maddog07 (Post 547143)
We keep drinking to kool aid. I'll believe it when I see it. Last year we had a great Chec shooter coming, older and mature ready to make it happen. And the GF 2.0, likely a double double machine. A 7' beast from NJ, plus the top kid in South Carolina and we were awful. Seems like we are singing the same song now. This is what it must be like to be a Fordham fan, " wait til next year, everyone will be way better".

We lost our second leading scorer, third best rebounder and a good defender in DD. Unless we find some kids to play defense, particularly at guard, someone who can penetrate and some rebounders we will stay in the bottom half of the conference. We are not improved at this point and perhaps actually weaker minus DD. We need a lot of help. Getting rid of the guys who didn't play fixes little. We bring back four of our five starters and they flat out did not get it done. Hoping AG can bring in proven talent fast.
Posted via Mobile Device

Some of it I think depends on whether you prefer to be happy or miserable. I think it’s obvious which camp this poster is in.

This is what it must be like to be a Fordham fan? LOLOLOL. Come on, dude. We made the NCAA tournament 4 years in a row prior to last season. FOH with comparing us to Fordham. We had a laundry list of things go wrong and we finished 9th in the A10. We had a bad season; nobody is going to dispute that.

Do you think Jalen Crutcher will be any better than he was last year? Do you think Jordan Davis will be any better? Let’s assume Josh is as good, and Trey is as good (though I think we can count on him to improve). Sure, we lose a solid senior, but I think his production is very replaceable. We know who four of the newcomers are. Yes, only one of them is any kind of a known commodity and he’s coming off two major surgeries. But we lose one senior and a bunch of guys who were unproductive and/or unplayable or didn't want to be here and we replace them with one redshirt junior, one redshirt freshman, one junior college transfer and one true freshman who could have gone to Texas or West Virginia or Ohio State. Plus we have 5 slots tbd.

Would you trade Baby D, a disinterested Kostas, a disgruntled Xeyrius, a disinterested and disgruntled Pierce, and Crosby for Cohill, Mikesell, Toppin, and Matos? I’d do that trade straight up, and then you throw in five players to be named later? Um, yes please?

Fordham? Hahahahahahaha.
Posted via Mobile Device

BRob2Perryman3 04-08-2018 01:50 PM

Quote:

Posted via Mobile Device

You maybe, MAYBE had a leg to stand on. Then you made the Fordham crack.

And of course,

:deadhorse:

BRob2Perryman3 04-08-2018 02:00 PM

Am i the only one who spends way too much of his/her time anxiously awaiting a thread from Ihsgolf titled..

"Welcome to the family........"?

BeckysTXA 04-08-2018 02:22 PM

We will be better next year even if we have two misses in filling five scholarships. We will have a coaching staff that has worked together for a year. We will have six scholarship players that have spent a year working in AG’s program and system. We will have up to 8 new players who are AG recruits. There won’t be players on next year’s team that don’t want to be at UD for one reason or another - even if it’s just they don’t like going to class. A lot has been voiced on problems this last year, but I saw a lot of players get better playing for AG. Offensively, defensively and maturity-wise. I expect more of all of that next year. If the coaching staff can develop players in an environment with 3-4 bad apples in the mix, I believe they can accomplish way more with a locker room full of players who can’t wait to put in the hard work so when they put on the Dayton uniform the entire team is ready to compete.

OSU Flyer 04-08-2018 03:48 PM

I think it's significant that none of the newcomers coming in next year or the guy we get back, Mikesell, are gonna be asked to be the savior of the program.

We've got I think a promising core of 4 guys coming back who can reasonably be assumed to start. If Cohill earns a starting spot great but he doesn't have to be a 30 minute a night guy and a 15ppg scorer off of the bat for this team to be successful. Same goes for Matos, Obi, Mikesell and whoever else gets added.

Last year a lot of freshman and guys without experience had to get integrated very quickly into the starting lineup and get major minutes off of the bat. This year hopefully there's the luxury of letting some of the new guys ease into their roles

To build off BeckysTXA points we've got guy who know the system and what the expectations are from Coach Grant. It's gonna be lot easier integrating a bunch of new guys coming in this summer versus everyone figuring it out at the same time.

springborofan 04-08-2018 10:27 PM

Miserabledog07 would rather wallow in his own misery and he'll gladly take anyone else along for the ride if they are willing. Just take off your "red and blue glasses" and enjoy the journey to miserable land...oh wait, "reality" is what he calls it.

Viperstick 04-09-2018 12:20 AM

I was willing to believe we would meet the prognosticators' expectations of bubble-to-NIT territory last year, then I watched the Hofstra game.

Not willing to believe any predictions until we see the product on the court next season.

shocka43 04-09-2018 06:37 AM

Who knows what will happen, but this team should be better next season.

THirt's view isn't Red and Blue glasses but offers up a pretty realistic assessment of player to player comparison going into next year. Other than Kostas' upside, all of the other players weren't giving this team or program anything that isn't replaceable by an incoming freshman. Pierce and X...what did they do that can't be replaced? What was Crosby going to give you next season when he is bumped to the end of the bench even further due to current Sophomores? While MS was giving the effort, are his numbers not replaceable by an incoming first year?

The biggest takeaway is the fact that another year of offseason development may have contributed to a little improvement, but the ceiling was pretty obvious with every player that left sans Kostas.

It is apparent that CAG wants to run his program a certain way. That way benefited players like Cunningham, Trey, and Crutcher. Would you rather have 3 or 4 Crutcher like players roll in with a pretty hefty upside, or dance around guys that in year one looked pretty limited?

This is a clean slate move. From a fans perspective, and with all of the criticism of CAG, this is what the critics should want. This is CAG's team now with his players here and his players coming in. The only holdovers are guys that are "pluses" in the "plus - minus" game of personnel.

There is no better way to evaluate CAG and the direction of the program than for him to get his guys in here and see where this goes. Having the dead weight still here only delays the ability to fairly evaluate where this ship is going.

Gazoo 04-09-2018 09:52 AM

Quote:

We are not improved at this point and perhaps actually weaker minus DD. We need a lot of help. Getting rid of the guys who didn't play fixes little.

https://www.therichest.com/sports/to...ers-in-sports/

Quote:

Originally Posted by OSU Flyer (Post 547159)
I think it's significant that none of the newcomers coming in next year or the guy we get back, Mikesell, are gonna be asked to be the savior of the program.

We've got I think a promising core of 4 guys coming back who can reasonably be assumed to start.

I agree, there's no quantum leap this year. We don't have a quantum player coming, yet. If I were a transfer I would look at this team as a GREAT core of average-to-above-average role players that would have a fun season in the A10 if you added 1 special player. If we get 1 Jordan Siebert we go from 5th-ish (between 7th and 4th) to top 2, because all the other guys on this team are in a position where they will share the spotlight, play defense, rebound, etc. If we got 2 players like that we win the A10 and make a postseason run.

Otherwise, I think we're likely NIT bound (but want to see the R&B game before deciding, as always).

Southwest 04-09-2018 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OSU Flyer (Post 546827)
1st bracketology. P5/BE & American only multibids. Davidson A10 champ, St Joes next 4 out

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...l/bracketology

I consider bracketology predictions this time of year as accurate as predicting the weather for 2018 Christmas Eve.

Flyer 86 04-09-2018 12:40 PM

Quote:

That mainstream thing.... Fake News! LOL

Flyer 86 04-09-2018 12:43 PM

I think (picking now) 4th to 7th is a pretty realistic view of where we could be today, from today's vantage point.

3rd with a High Quality transfer pickup or 2. 6th to 8th with no key additions.

I'll predict 4th or 5th, picking on April 9th . I reserve the right to change that come Oct 15th :)

oldfan 04-09-2018 02:55 PM

"We've got I think a promising core of 4 guys coming back who can reasonably be assumed to start."

Maddog has a point. The promising core of 4 guys coming back were not playing much better at the end of the year than they were at the beginning of the year. They would win one then lose one.

I happen to like Kool Aid so I am willing to drink it but if past performance is any indication of future results and there is no significant change in the starting lineup then I am going to need a lot of kool aid.

rollo 04-09-2018 03:03 PM

76ers from '15-16 to '17-18 are a great example

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldfan (Post 547236)
"We've got I think a promising core of 4 guys coming back who can reasonably be assumed to start."

Maddog has a point. The promising core of 4 guys coming back were not playing much better at the end of the year than they were at the beginning of the year. They would win one then lose one.

I happen to like Kool Aid so I am willing to drink it but if past performance is any indication of future results and there is no significant change in the starting lineup then I am going to need a lot of kool aid.

3 of those 4 were Crutcher, Jordan and Landers...and all were playing infinitely better at the end of the year than they were in the beginning. You're confusing W's with improvement. You can improve without winning*, especially when you're a freshman or with respect to Sir Trey Landers, hardly used as one.

ud2 04-09-2018 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OSU Flyer (Post 547075)
https://www.daytondailynews.com/spor...LTyEh5UBwe89K/

Early A10 preview from Jablo and the Dayton Daily

St. Louis is 1st. I can buy them being favorite but they have no shooting on that team. Big front court and I'm sure they'll crush people on the glass. Neither Bess or Goodwin seemed liked effective shooters. Seems like teams that could make it a half court game and effectively zone them could give them trouble.

I think the league will be better top to bottom but I don't see a dominate team. I could buy any one of George Mason, Davidson, Richmond, St. Joe's, URI, STL, VCU or Dayton being contenders

George Mason might start pulling their weight. It is well past time for Richmond to move on from Mooney.

CT Flyer 04-09-2018 03:05 PM

Quote:

Really? Landers didn't get any better as the season progressed? Crutcher didn't get any better (I agree he was probably best about mid to 2/3 of the season in but still better at end than beginning)? Freshmen don't get better in the off season?

The Fly 04-09-2018 03:06 PM

Quote:

I’m not a Kool-Aid drinker and I’m honestly not sure what caliber of team we’ll put on the floor next season, but I’m not sure how anyone can say Crutcher and Landers did not improve significantly over the course of the year.

Oops, Rollo and others beat me to it.

BeckysTXA 04-09-2018 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rollo (Post 547239)
3 of those 4 were Crutcher, Jordan and Landers...and all were playing infinitely better at the end of the year than they were in the beginning. You're confusing W's with improvement. You can improve without winning*, especially when you're a freshman or with respect to Sir Trey Landers, hardly used as one.

Agree. Actually, aside from DD who seemed to slide some at the end,others were playing better. We couldn’t even play man early in the year because we simply couldn’t play man defense. Early it was painful to watch our offense some nights. We weren’t even getting shots off because of turnovers or lack of execution. We got better. There were nights we didn’t shoot great or rebound great, but we were running an offense and we could go man 2 man, mixed with some zone. Players got better as did the team.

San Diego Flyer 04-09-2018 05:43 PM

All four starters had improving seasons

Of the 4 starters, I'm not sure how we can leave out Josh. He came off a disastrous injury- plagued season as a Soph. Was among the top 2 point shooting percentages in the nation this year and much better than his Soph season. Carried us in rebounding while playing as an undersized center. Shouldered the job of being a captain of a score of newbies mixed with some dysfunctionals. Scored an average in points that was more than his Dayton and Bradley years added together.

I'll give you this. He appeared to wear down as the season ended, but who wouldn't considering the slackers that he was covering for.

OSU Flyer 04-09-2018 08:47 PM

https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...d-duke-at-top/

early top 25 with NBA declarations thus far

Auburn 9
Mississippi St 15

OSU Flyer 04-10-2018 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer (Post 547264)
Of the 4 starters, I'm not sure how we can leave out Josh. He came off a disastrous injury- plagued season as a Soph. Was among the top 2 point shooting percentages in the nation this year and much better than his Soph season. Carried us in rebounding while playing as an undersized center. Shouldered the job of being a captain of a score of newbies mixed with some dysfunctionals. Scored an average in points that was more than his Dayton and Bradley years added together.

I'll give you this. He appeared to wear down as the season ended, but who wouldn't considering the slackers that he was covering for.

I know people mention on here how someone played virtually every available for a team or in the Cheney days at Temple they played 6 guys all the time. Those people are the exception not the rule in terms of basketball. Because one guy can do it, doesn't mean everyone can. These are kids not robots.

I absolutely believe logging all those minutes took their toll on Josh and especially the freshman. Having an actual bench this year is going to do wonders for this team in terms of giving the starters some rest and keeping them fresh for the season.

steve 04-10-2018 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer (Post 547264)

...And all of that with also either being forgotten quite a bit by not receiving the ball more or with them just not able to get him the ball more. Tough to keep hustling down the court being a forgotten man.You have a guy shooting 65% on the year he simply has to get more than 9 + FGA per game of which I'd bet 1-2 of those were put back shots off offensive rebounds.

OSU Flyer 04-10-2018 12:07 PM

Couple other thing to consider with the playing folks 38 minutes a game/Temple strategy. Guys get nagging injuries like Darrell Davis and his thumb this year and play through them all the time. If you're riding someone major minutes every night it makes harder to get over a nagging injury in your legs like an ankle.

If you get a starter seriously hurt because they're playing garbage time minutes in a blowout that's asinine.

In theory if this is a healthy program you're able to keep the freshman on bench on give them minutes off the bench to develop them instead having to throw people into the fire.

SLUFLYER 04-10-2018 12:21 PM

Quote:

I hadn't seen this, heard this or read this anywhere, re: the mainstream media. Please share more details or references.

steve 04-10-2018 12:22 PM

And if you look at those Temple teams most of those guys were big guys with alot of body on them. Very few rail thin players. Alot easier to take the daily bumps, bruises, and hard knocks than your average player. They were a very very physical team that recruited to that strategy..

jack72 04-10-2018 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLUFLYER (Post 547373)
I hadn't seen this, heard this or read this anywhere, re: the mainstream media. Please share more details or references.

It was a euphemism for some people on this site, who think the sky has fallen.

Flyer 86 04-10-2018 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rollo (Post 547239)

Great post Rollo! And add Josh C to that and it's a solid nucleus. The major dangers are fatigue and not enough big men.

We really need 8 to 9 guys to legitimately go to and have ready on the bench.
We've gotten Matos and Obadiah will be there next year. How good will they be? Or is it possible they become Matej and DEsmond A. I don't think so, but we can't count on them. WE can only hope they are solid to good role players at this moment in time.

Meaning we need to pick up 2 to 3 more quality guys - with 1 or 2 being a big man! I'm hoping grad transfers that have credentials and numbers on their side, having played in a Top ten conference.

But I'd also take a Top Top guy from a minor conference - like Scott or someone who scores 20 or rebounds 10 a game. A Guy Can dream right?

SLUFLYER 04-10-2018 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jack72 (Post 547383)
It was a euphemism for some people on this site, who think the sky has fallen.

Got it, euphemism is mainstream media = board naysayers. I wasn't connecting those two, thanks.

shocka43 04-10-2018 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLUFLYER (Post 547436)
Got it, euphemism is mainstream media = board naysayers. I wasn't connecting those two, thanks.

AKA Fake News. lol

OSU Flyer 04-18-2018 03:59 PM

Richmond taking a hit lately. Khwan fore and now De'Monte Buckingham has been dismissed from the program

OSU Flyer 04-19-2018 10:50 AM

Robert Snyder
@RobbieBuckets
Source: Don't be surprised to see Quade Green transfer from Kentucky to LaSalle. Ashley Howard recruited him while at Nova. Cal already prepping for the loss. I'm told LaSalle would be the choice.

LaSalle rumored to be getting former McDonald's AA & Top 25 recruit from UK

pmcmullen 04-20-2018 10:33 AM

How the heck does that happen?

lhsgolf19 04-20-2018 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmcmullen (Post 548479)

Well he is from Philly

flyerfanatic86 04-20-2018 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmcmullen (Post 548479)

He likes the smell of chlorine while playing. It reminds him of summer.

MNFats 04-20-2018 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lhsgolf19 (Post 548481)
Well he is from Philly

I think he was asking more about how does the kid already have a new school picked out if he hasn't gotten his release yet. There are a lot of schools in Philly not named LaSalle.

I know he has a connection there, but sounds like the conversations have already been had, which would be against the rules.

OSU Flyer 04-20-2018 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNFats (Post 548506)
I think he was asking more about how does the kid already have a new school picked out if he hasn't gotten his release yet. There are a lot of schools in Philly not named LaSalle.

I know he has a connection there, but sounds like the conversations have already been had, which would be against the rules.

I think they do it through things like AAU coaches/3rd parties

BRob2Perryman3 04-20-2018 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyerfanatic86 (Post 548484)
He likes the smell of chlorine while playing. It reminds him of summer.

Less then 5% of this board has any clue what you just said. I do. And i love it. :D

TommyGola 04-20-2018 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRob2Perryman3 (Post 548552)
Less then 5% of this board has any clue what you just said. I do. And i love it. :D

I get it, BRob, and I agree with you. It was brilliant.

OSU Flyer 04-26-2018 01:32 PM

@JonRothstein
3m3 minutes ago
More
The 2018-19 college basketball season will be longer than most years. Things start on Nov. 6th and end on April 8th. Selection Sunday will be on March 17th.

CE80 04-26-2018 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OSU Flyer (Post 549077)
@JonRothstein
3m3 minutes ago
More
The 2018-19 college basketball season will be longer than most years. Things start on Nov. 6th and end on April 8th. Selection Sunday will be on March 17th.

That's fantastic!! Now Spina won't have to refer to St. Patrick's day as March 17. He can call it Selection Sunday.

OSU Flyer 05-01-2018 05:28 PM

Jon Rothstein

Verified account

@JonRothstein
22m22 minutes ago
More
Ben Howland now has all hands on deck for 18-19. All four Mississippi State's players who declared for the NBA Draft are coming back. Bulldogs should be in SEC's top tier.

OSU Flyer 05-05-2018 12:08 AM

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball...op-six-scorers

Good read on Mississippi State for next year

OSU Flyer 05-29-2018 02:32 PM

Auburn had Jarred Harper, Austin Wiley and Bryce Brown return after testing the NBA draft waters but lost leading scorer Mustapha Heron to transfer. Even with Heron gone it still looks like they should be a top 15-20 and contender in the SEC.

Auburn and Mississippi should be two chances to get statement victories next year

steve 05-29-2018 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OSU Flyer (Post 549769)
https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball...op-six-scorers

Good read on Mississippi State for next year

Hard to believe a young, totally inexperienced UD team that had 26 TO's lost by only 2 last year down there after being down by over 20 points in the 2nd half. UD had the ball in the last seconds only to have it stolen away..

OSU Flyer 05-30-2018 01:07 PM

@EvanDaniels
Stanford power forward Reid Travis is transferring from the program, a source tells @247Sports. Averaged 19.5 PPG & 8.7 RPG last season.

Big blow to potential Battle for Atlantis opponent

jack72 05-30-2018 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OSU Flyer (Post 551645)
@EvanDaniels
Stanford power forward Reid Travis is transferring from the program, a source tells @247Sports. Averaged 19.5 PPG & 8.7 RPG last season.

Big blow to potential Battle for Atlantis opponent

We would love to have this kid. A back to the basket, tough player, who still has his name in the draft. If he pulls out, he is KY bound.

ud2 06-15-2018 01:13 AM

Recent bracketologies...Auburn 3/3...Miss State 4/7...Davidson 10/11...Indiana 7/9...Nevada as a 2/3, wow.

Very tough year for the A10, Juan Bid.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba.../bracketology/

http://m.espn.com/ncb/bracketology?&...&iteration=343

frisco flyer 06-15-2018 09:55 AM

It was supposed to be one bid last year too.
Its way too early to know, but a ‘normal’ year in the A10 is three bids.

OSU Flyer 06-16-2018 07:49 AM

I think the A10 top to bottom will be a better conference next year top to bottom but I can buy it being a 1 bid league.

On paper right now I don't think there's a dominate team coming into next year. The key to getting multiple bids has been having teams that finish with 14+ conference wins and the top teams getting separation from the pack. I could see a situation where 12-13 wins the conference next year.

Other than George Mason the teams getting projected at the top like StL and Davidson have some talent coming back but are breaking in a lot of new guys and St Joes has some serious injury question marks. Might take them a while to gel and cost them a chance at some marquee OOC wins

BRob2Perryman3 06-16-2018 08:47 AM

We are slotted to hang out with our pal Juan Bidd every year it seems and every year we get in three or more.

Still no big signed. Absolutely laughable at this point

lhsgolf19 06-16-2018 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRob2Perryman3 (Post 552796)
We are slotted to hang out with our pal Juan Bidd every year it seems and every year we get in three or more.

Still no big signed. Absolutely laughable at this point

We won 2 games in the NCAA Tourney with 6.5 guys lol and no one taller than 6'6"... We'll be fine jeez

Coach Grant wants to spread the floor and use our athleticism

sabo2 06-16-2018 05:01 PM

I keep reading about not having a big man. Toppin is 6'8'', Mikesell is 6"7", Matos is 6"6"and Policelli is 6"8''. Last year the first person off the bench was Savboda who was 6"6" but was a step slow. Next was Kostas who never improved his game and was 190 lbs. I don't know how good these players are but there is plenty of overall height.

The game has changed over the years. A big man who can't move, dribble penetrate and shoot from at least 15 feet is more of a liability than an asset. Those 6"9" and above who can do all that are few and we have little chance of getting one of them.

We really need a backup point guard. Maybe the non scholarship freshman is the answer?

Last year ,we had no bench. I think will be much improved this year

lhsgolf19 06-16-2018 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sabo2 (Post 552818)
I keep reading about not having a big man. Toppin is 6'8'', Mikesell is 6"7", Matos is 6"6"and Policelli is 6"8''. Last year the first person off the bench was Savboda who was 6"6" but was a step slow. Next was Kostas who never improved his game and was 190 lbs. I don't know how good these players are but there is plenty of overall height.

The game has changed over the years. A big man who can't move, dribble penetrate and shoot from at least 15 feet is more of a liability than an asset. Those 6"9" and above who can do all that are few and we have little chance of getting one of them.

We really need a backup point guard. Maybe the non scholarship freshman is the answer?

Last year ,we had no bench. I think will be much improved this year

Crutcher will play a lot... Cohill will spell him at times at the 1 in addition to playing mostly at the 2

OSU Flyer 06-16-2018 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lhsgolf19 (Post 552797)
We won 2 games in the NCAA Tourney with 6.5 guys lol and no one taller than 6'6"... We'll be fine jeez

Coach Grant wants to spread the floor and use our athleticism

I don't think height matters so much but whether or not a guy can play around the basket.

Pollard at 6'5 can bang in the post, X. Williams at 6'8 can't. Luke Fabrizius was 6'9 but he couldn't rebound or defend a big guy down low.

Open question whether Obi or Frankie can play in the paint.

Very legitimate question whether the players that are here are able to defend and rebound against the better front lines in the A10.

ud2 06-17-2018 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sabo2 (Post 552818)

I get what you are saying, but it is still very valuable IMO to have a guy that can play with his back to the basket. Having somebody like that just seems to create so many problems for the opposing defense, it really opens up your offense.

The defense has to collapse, which opens up the perimeter, creates passing lanes, and makes it easier to dribble drive. Good inside-out basketball is hard to stop.

Lifelong Flyer Fan 06-17-2018 09:23 AM

I have solved the big man issue. We just have to wait a few years to get him. 6'11" 12 yrs old Canadian. He has a 15 year old brother and dad is 6'8".
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montre...lory-1.4709527

UDGutter2 07-02-2018 04:42 PM

Found this interview today from Press Pros Magazine:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=v5B4v9vRnfM

TA111 07-02-2018 06:51 PM

Ryan is certainly a classy kid.

ud2 07-06-2018 09:59 AM

We need to rebound this year, we dropped around 114 spots in the rpi, from around rpi #32 to around rpi #146, from Archie's last year to 2017-18, our worst year over year rpi drop in the last 25 years.

Last year was the quintessential rough transitional year.

We improved around 114 spots from 1998-1999 to 1999-2000 though, so such an improvement is not unprecedented.

And we improved 113 spots from 1996-1997 to 1997-1998.

And we improved 108 spots from 2005-2006 to 2006-2007.

Dayton Flyers RPI History

Season Record RPI Rank SOS Rank

2016-2017 25-8 0.5920 32 0.5273 93
2015-2016 25-7 0.6063 22 0.5573 49
2014-2015 25-8 0.5920 32 0.5273 93
2013-2014 23-10 0.5837 43 0.5539 61
2012-2013 17-14 0.5287 114 0.5370 95
2011-2012 20-12 0.5546 81 0.5425 68
2010-2011 22-13 0.5608 70 0.5455 69
2009-2010 20-12 0.5769 54 0.5661 33
2008-2009 26-7 0.6037 27 0.5319 95
2007-2008 21-10 0.5906 32 0.5645 33
2006-2007 19-12 0.5573 75 0.5431 76
2005-2006 13-17 0.4835 183 0.5183 112
2004-2005 18-11 0.5205 126 0.4945 162
2003-2004 24-8 0.5864 40 0.5319 84
2002-2003 24-5 0.6212 13 0.5525 54
2001-2002 20-10 0.5599 62 0.5243 93
2000-2001 19-12 0.5538 72 0.5341 83
1999-2000 22-8 0.5736 43 0.5204 108
1998-1999 11-17 0.4933 157 0.5268 95
1997-1998 20-11 0.5594 59 0.5309 84
1996-1997 13-14 0.4863 172 0.4879 161
1995-1996 15-14 0.4833 177 0.4720 202
1994-1995 7-20 0.4635 194 0.5316 77
1993-1994 5-21 0.4581 208 0.5467 62

Buckleyma 07-06-2018 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ud2 (Post 554133)
We need to rebound this year, we dropped around 114 spots in the rpi, from around rpi #32 to around rpi #146, from Archie's last year to 2017-18, our worst year over year rpi drop in the last 25 years.

Last year was the quintessential rough transitional year.

We improved around 114 spots from 1998-1999 to 1999-2000 though, so such an improvement is not unprecedented.

And we improved 113 spots from 1996-1997 to 1997-1998.

And we improved 108 spots from 2005-2006 to 2006-2007.

Dayton Flyers RPI History

Season Record RPI Rank SOS Rank

2016-2017 25-8 0.5920 32 0.5273 93
2015-2016 25-7 0.6063 22 0.5573 49
2014-2015 25-8 0.5920 32 0.5273 93
2013-2014 23-10 0.5837 43 0.5539 61
2012-2013 17-14 0.5287 114 0.5370 95
2011-2012 20-12 0.5546 81 0.5425 68
2010-2011 22-13 0.5608 70 0.5455 69
2009-2010 20-12 0.5769 54 0.5661 33
2008-2009 26-7 0.6037 27 0.5319 95
2007-2008 21-10 0.5906 32 0.5645 33
2006-2007 19-12 0.5573 75 0.5431 76
2005-2006 13-17 0.4835 183 0.5183 112
2004-2005 18-11 0.5205 126 0.4945 162
2003-2004 24-8 0.5864 40 0.5319 84
2002-2003 24-5 0.6212 13 0.5525 54
2001-2002 20-10 0.5599 62 0.5243 93
2000-2001 19-12 0.5538 72 0.5341 83
1999-2000 22-8 0.5736 43 0.5204 108
1998-1999 11-17 0.4933 157 0.5268 95
1997-1998 20-11 0.5594 59 0.5309 84
1996-1997 13-14 0.4863 172 0.4879 161
1995-1996 15-14 0.4833 177 0.4720 202
1994-1995 7-20 0.4635 194 0.5316 77
1993-1994 5-21 0.4581 208 0.5467 62

UD2: You say, “last year was the quintessential rough transitional year.” I concur. Anthony Grant dismissed, chased-off and disgruntled a bunch of players. I kinda’ expected that occurence especially after he did the same thing at Akabama. I think this upcoming year will be a quintessential rebuilding year. The record will be essentially the same as last year. We will do as well as last year, only if Cunningham is a healthy beast all year long and survives with little foul trouble. If he gets hurt or teams figure out a way to get him in foul trouble then our record could suffer. The above comment is not a knock on Grant just an observation of his past at Alabama. I have a colleague at work who is an Alabama alum and he relayed a lot of history on Grant when we first hired him.
Posted via Mobile Device

hawkoooo 07-06-2018 12:14 PM

I don't see how we can be worse than last year.

Mikesell, Toppin, Cohill, Matos, Policelli >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Davis, Kostas, Svo, Pierce

2018-19 Trey, Jordan, Crutch, Josh, >>>>>>>>>>>>> 2017-18 Trey, Jordan, Crutch, Josh

UD62 07-06-2018 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawkoooo (Post 554141)
I don't see how we can be worse than last year.

Mikesell, Toppin, Cohill, Matos, Policelli >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Davis, Kostas, Svo, Pierce

2018-19 Trey, Jordan, Crutch, Josh, >>>>>>>>>>>>> 2017-18 Trey, Jordan, Crutch, Josh

And no Williams and Pierce.

hawkoooo 07-06-2018 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UD62 (Post 554145)
And no Williams and Pierce.

Haha yea he was so non-existent I forgot him! I had to struggle to remember Pierce. My post is an over simplification but the logic seems sound. I do think the guys coming in are better than the ones we lost (in the aggregate). And I assume we're going to see at least some improvement from the returners (all starters BTW).

longtimefan 07-06-2018 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawkoooo (Post 554141)

...and Crosby.

OSU Flyer 07-07-2018 02:30 PM

I'm cautiously optimistic for next season. Having 3 experienced returning guards should make a big difference with turnovers and on the defensive end.

The bench is a question mark but there's reason for optimism about the new comers. How good will some of these guys be? I'm not sure but the recruiting info on them doesn't suggest any of them are a big reaches or a huge projects.

To me this season really comes down to how much improvement we see out of Crutcher, Davis and Landers. What is the ceiling for these guys as players? Are Crutcher and Davis a pair of nice guards or do they start to develop into potential all conference caliber guards. Is Trey Landers like Monty Scott where he stays at the same level for most of his career or can he take his game to another level as an upperclassman?

Ryan Mikesell is a guy who's shown flashes of being a pretty good player at this level. See his first game against Southeast Missouri and the Vanderbilt game his sophomore year. As a healthy redshirt junior what is he as a player?

To me at least this season hinges on what these guys turn out to be. If you told me that everything breaks right and the team wins the A10 I could see it. If the team ends up with 16-17 wins I could see that too

frisco flyer 07-07-2018 03:05 PM

I actually think that if Policelli and Topin can play defense, we will be a tough out and very competitive in the A10.

San Diego Flyer 07-07-2018 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OSU Flyer (Post 554226)
I'm cautiously optimistic for next season. Having 3 experienced returning guards should make a big difference with turnovers and on the defensive end.

The bench is a question mark but there's reason for optimism about the new comers. How good will some of these guys be? I'm not sure but the recruiting info on them doesn't suggest any of them are a big reaches or a huge projects.

To me this season really comes down to how much improvement we see out of Crutcher, Davis and Landers. What is the ceiling for these guys as players? Are Crutcher and Davis a pair of nice guards or do they start to develop into potential all conference caliber guards. Is Trey Landers like Monty Scott where he stays at the same level for most of his career or can he take his game to another level as an upperclassman?

Ryan Mikesell is a guy who's shown flashes of being a pretty good player at this level. See his first game against Southeast Missouri and the Vanderbilt game his sophomore year. As a healthy redshirt junior what is he as a player?

To me at least this season hinges on what these guys turn out to be. If you told me that everything breaks right and the team wins the A10 I could see it. If the team ends up with 16-17 wins I could see that too

A very fair and balanced assessment. A few things I would like to contribute to that. We are going to live and die by our defense. Kostas had as many blocks off the bench as our entire quartet of returning starters. As long as he could stay in the game, the guards had some measure of lane intimidation on their side. Who is going to do that this season?
As much as we expect individual improvement from all 3 guards, it's a team game and they can't get in the grill of the opponent consistently without some Flyer between them and the rim.

With regard to ball protection, this is addition by subtraction. DD consistently had as many turnovers as assists. Crutcher was solid, as was Jordan. Trey improved A/TO in A10 play. Josh needs to tighten up his passing. Cohill should be solid there as well.

Example: Trey in ooc had 11 assists vs 22 TO's. In the A10 he was 41 assists vs 35 TO's.

An example of the kind of consistent improvement we hope for. But again, it's a team deal. Players have to come to the ball and be strong. The turnover is not always the thrower's fault.

sabo2 07-09-2018 12:56 PM

Every basketball year is a surprise. Every year is rebuilding. Last year at this time, we all had XW penciled in as a starter and possible star player. Many thought that Cosby would be the default starter and that Kostas would be major contributor. We were wrong. We knew almost nothing about the freshman and little about Trey Landers. This short ,inexperienced team about broke even.

This year we know a lot more about the returning players, but my guess is that what we think we know now will change about ten games into the season. Some of our new players will force themselves into game time. My experience tells that at least one will become a starter.

Last years bench was so ineffective, that a walk-on became one of the first to enter the game. I believe our bench will be much improved. Toppin is tall and appears to have" fire in his belly." Mikesell has experience and, if healthy, is valuable. I know nothing about the incoming freshman and junior college transfers are risky. But this has got to be a great improvement over last years bench both in talent, size and desire.

Let the games begin. I'm excited.