UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
UDPride Discussion Forums

UDPride Discussion Forums (http://www.udpride.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mens Basketball (http://www.udpride.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Player Eligibility from FBI investigation (http://www.udpride.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31258)

AZFlyer85 09-29-2017 01:00 PM

Player Eligibility from FBI investigation

Are players involved in the FBI investigation (Bruce Bowen at Louisville) going to lose their NCAA eligibility?

Sea Bass 09-29-2017 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OCFlyer85 (Post 515623)
Are players involved in the FBI investigation (Bruce Bowen at Louisville) going to lose their NCAA eligibility?

they should

DallasFlyer 09-29-2017 01:40 PM

Some for sure will I would think. I'm sure they'll mostly focus on cleaning up the game by punishing the coaches as they should first and foremost. But will be interesting. I don't think the NCAA will ever issue the death penalty again, but then again, if it found that an entire roster of players had been paid... Then, they should all be ruled ineligible, which is in effect, the death penalty.

TheDuke2003 09-29-2017 02:03 PM

I would think they'd have to lose eligibility. They took impermissible benefits. I'd imagine Bowen and others that get caught like him will end up playing overseas for a year and then get whatever they can in the draft.

If there are multiple 5 stars, it'd be interesting to see them all go somewhere together and see what a super team of US high school kids could do in an overseas league.

John C. 09-29-2017 07:41 PM

I wonder how the IRS will handle this.

troy-flyer 09-29-2017 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John C. (Post 515668)
I wonder how the IRS will handle this.

Unless there's something in writing, the donor is generally responsible for paying the gift tax, so the students athletes involved probably won't have IRS issues. It will however give the FBI another pressure point to get those who provided gifts of more than $14K to roll over.

AZFlyer85 09-29-2017 09:07 PM

How about a FBI team in the G league?

Ready Action 09-30-2017 09:07 AM

I work in the financial industry and the IRS can be very creative when they want to tax something.

John C. 09-30-2017 05:11 PM

Is it a gift or is it earned income? I could argue in both directions.

shocka43 10-02-2017 07:21 AM

I wouldn't imagine that those providing cash kept the value below the IRS gift limits.

Buckleyma 10-02-2017 08:29 AM

You know in many areas of the country where football is the predominant interest; this story is of no interest. I asked a co-worker what he thought about the most important sports story of the year. He looked at me and said, you mean the kneeling of players on the playing of the national anthem? If this story was involving football then more people would take notice. As it is, this matter is being considered an isolated incident not involving the most important sport of football.

Hence, if the NCAA does not in invoke the death penalty then this matter will get no notice. It will be forgotten and business will continue as usual.
Posted via Mobile Device

Avid Flyer 10-02-2017 12:37 PM

The FBI investigation may force NCAA hand or cause it to experience their own death penalty.

As for football, they are next.

IAFlyer 10-02-2017 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avid Flyer (Post 515775)
The FBI investigation may force NCAA hand or cause it to experience their own death penalty.

As for football, they are next.

I agree. I heard some talk on ESPN radio this weekend about the team announcement for big time players. This guy attended the announcement deal and was sitting next to one school's assistant coach. Asked what his school's chance were, he said, "None, he asked us for cash and we said no."

He also related a similar instance where the coach said, "See that gold chain he's wearing, that was purchased by the school he is choosing".

So, I do believe football is next.

Ready Action 10-02-2017 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IAFlyer (Post 515781)
I agree. I heard some talk on ESPN radio this weekend about the team announcement for big time players. This guy attended the announcement deal and was sitting next to one school's assistant coach. Asked what his school's chance were, he said, "None, he asked us for cash and we said no."

He also related a similar instance where the coach said, "See that gold chain he's wearing, that was purchased by the school he is choosing".

So, I do believe football is next.

Nothing wrong with a little turnover bling!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DIvgJvSW4AEFVm1.jpg