UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
UDPride Discussion Forums

UDPride Discussion Forums (http://www.udpride.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mens Basketball (http://www.udpride.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   2021 Recruiting Thread (http://www.udpride.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32136)

OSU Flyer 05-09-2018 08:07 PM

2021 Recruiting Thread

Verbal Commits

@VerbalCommits
13m13 minutes ago
More
2021 Northeast (FL) G Wesley Cardet, Jr. has received an offer from Dayton. @WesleyCardetJr http://verbalcommits.com/players/wesley-cardet-jr

CvilleFlyer 05-09-2018 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OSU Flyer (Post 550243)
Verbal Commits

@VerbalCommits
13m13 minutes ago
More
2021 Northeast (FL) G Wesley Cardet, Jr. has received an offer from Dayton. @WesleyCardetJr http://verbalcommits.com/players/wesley-cardet-jr

6'5" 165lb PG attends Northeast high school in Oakland Park, FL. Good to see AG and his staff get in early on this kid. I watched his youtube videos and he can get to the rim easily and also dunks with ease. Seems to be a good floor leader to only be a freshman.

Northeast finished 20-8 this past season. Wesley was the only freshman on the varsity with no sophomores, 6 juniors and 6 seniors. Couldn't find any stats as to what he averaged PPG, assists etc.

flyerfanatic86 05-10-2018 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CvilleFlyer (Post 550256)
6'5" 165lb PG attends Northeast high school in Oakland Park, FL. Good to see AG and his staff get in early on this kid. I watched his youtube videos and he can get to the rim easily and also dunks with ease. Seems to be a good floor leader to only be a freshman.

Northeast finished 20-8 this past season. Wesley was the only freshman on the varsity with no sophomores, 6 juniors and 6 seniors. Couldn't find any stats as to what he averaged PPG, assists etc.

A 6'5" PG who is young enough to still be growing? I'll take that.

OSU Flyer 05-18-2018 07:20 PM

2021 Franck Kepnang of @PSACardinals & @MacDuffieHoops was offered by #Dayton

lhsgolf19 05-18-2018 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OSU Flyer (Post 551051)
2021 Franck Kepnang of @PSACardinals & @MacDuffieHoops was offered by #Dayton

6'10" Kid out of Massachusetts

OSU Flyer 04-07-2019 07:59 PM

West Geauga's Josh Irwin a 6'6 wing up in the Cleveland area

Quote:

Irwin has offers from Bowling Green and Miami (Ohio). In the past year he has taken visits to Ohio State, Youngstown State, Miami (Ohio), Bowling Green and Michigan, though he referred to the Wolverines as "TTUN." He also said he's talking to Dayton's coaches.

Prep Hoops ranked Irwin as the sixth-best prospect in Northeast Ohio this week. He averaged 19 points and 15 rebounds per game, setting both the single-season and career records for rebounds at West Geauga as a sophomore.
https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-...ent-josh-irwin

Flyer68 04-08-2019 08:39 AM

Interesting article but it seems like we are not in the mix for any of them.

OSU Flyer 04-25-2019 08:18 PM

Coach Greg Oliver
@gregoliver2424
·
Apr 23
6’4 Manimal 16U (2021) Guard Isaiah Mason (Bowling Green, KY) was contacted today by Dayton. Who will be the first to offer the super skilled player that scores on all levels?
@YeahZay2

@ManimalElite

@DaytonMBB

@KennethFaried35

CvilleFlyer 04-26-2019 01:37 AM

2021 PG Luke Brown from Blackford High School in Hartford City, Indiana is on the Flyers radar. He was in attendance for our last regular season home game against LaSalle. The 6'1" sharpshooter is averaging 38.0 ppg and is on pace to surpass Damon Bailey's Indiana High School scoring record of 3,134 pts. (Romeo Langford, current Indiana star from New Albany, Indiana had 3,002 career pts.) Luke had 48 pts. in one game this past season!

There was a newspaper article that stated that he once made 84 of 100 shots behind the 3-point arc! Also 92 of 100! If we haven't offered this kid yet we should! Opposing teams have tried a variety of gimic defenses to stop him to no avail. One game a team used a box and 1 and a triangle with two men guarding him and he had no points but did dish out 11 assists at the start of the game and they jumped out to a 17-2 lead!

Damon Bailey played for IU and if Luke Brown breaks his career record point total it will be hard to pry him away from Archie Miller but we should get involved early and see what may materialize.

jack72 04-26-2019 10:07 AM

Luke Brown is a great shooter, who plays for a 3A team, that has not played any good bigger schools. I would think his coach would schedule some next year to show D1 coaches how this kid matches up. He has offers from local Ball St and Iona.

Bailey and Langford played for 1A schools in one of the toughest leagues in the state. Still the kid can put the rock in the basket at an incredible clip.

Jeff 04-26-2019 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyerfanatic86 (Post 550274)
A 6'5" PG who is young enough to still be growing? I'll take that.

Wasn't Obi a guard in HS?

rollo 04-26-2019 12:41 PM

In HS Sir Obi was a 6'3" sophomore and a 6'5" senior who grew to 6'7" at HS graduation. Without any D1 offers, took his increasing size to Prep school where he developed into a 6'9" forward who soon will be rightfully seated next to me in the Iron Throne.

So let it be written. So let it be done.

King Rollo the Anointer...OUT!

TX Flyer 04-26-2019 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rollo (Post 584753)
In HS Sir Obi was a 6'3" sophomore and a 6'5" senior who grew to 6'7" at HS graduation. Without any D1 offers, took his increasing size to Prep school where he developed into a 6'9" forward who soon will be rightfully seated next to me in the Iron Throne.

Next week on people court, Rollo the defendant denies any wrong doings in giving “extra” benefits to college athletes.

frisco flyer 04-26-2019 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rollo (Post 584753)

Careful rollo. No one lasted long sitting on the iron throne!

IndianaFlyer 04-26-2019 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jack72 (Post 584746)
Luke Brown is a great shooter, who plays for a 3A team, that has not played any good bigger schools. I would think his coach would schedule some next year to show D1 coaches how this kid matches up. He has offers from local Ball St and Iona.

Bailey and Langford played for 1A schools in one of the toughest leagues in the state. Still the kid can put the rock in the basket at an incredible clip.

Actually, 1A are the smallest schools in Indiana's class basketball. Bailey and Langford both played for 4A schools, the largest schools. Blackford is in 3A, the second largest schools by enrollment.
Posted via Mobile Device

CvilleFlyer 04-28-2019 06:21 PM

Per Corey Albertson of verbalcommits.com: Big moment for '21 Dayton Thurgood Marshall G Anthony McComb of NEO Tru Game. Hits winner with :02 to play then gets dapped up by LeBron James.

Anyone know anything about this kid? He may blow up and if he does we should do everything possible to keep the local kids at home. We can always use guards for 2021!

OSU Flyer 04-28-2019 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CvilleFlyer (Post 584809)
Per Corey Albertson of verbalcommits.com: Big moment for '21 Dayton Thurgood Marshall G Anthony McComb of NEO Tru Game. Hits winner with :02 to play then gets dapped up by LeBron James.

Anyone know anything about this kid? He may blow up and if he does we should do everything possible to keep the local kids at home. We can always use guards for 2021!

Seems like the City League has seen their talent dip, hopefully it starts picking back up

rollo 04-29-2019 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CvilleFlyer (Post 584809)

I reffed one of his games...stud! I believe he's the #1 ranked PG in Ohio but that may have been before the season started. Someone under my pay grade can look that up and report back ;).

Regardless, the situation at Dunbar sent a lot of kids to other schools, including Corey. The coaches at Thurgood are high class, good people. He's in good hands as long as he sticks with them. In the City League, you never know.

At his current trajectory, he's a keeper. I'm sure AG is all over him.

OSU Flyer 04-29-2019 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rollo (Post 584816)
I reffed one of his games...stud! I believe he's the #1 ranked PG in Ohio but that may have been before the season started. Someone under my pay grade can look that up and report back ;).

Regardless, the situation at Dunbar sent a lot of kids to other schools, including Corey. The coaches at Thurgood are high class, good people. He's in good hands as long as he sticks with them. In the City League, you never know.

Have the top City League kids been leaving the conference for suburbs?

jack72 04-29-2019 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rollo (Post 584816)

All the rankings I see have Meechie Johnson and Seth Wilson at the top. I do not see this local kid. Hey, it is sophomores, so not very accurate.

OSU Flyer 04-29-2019 01:46 PM

So Scoochie's brother Malachi Smith is a 2021 PG

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospec...i-smith-234295

T-Bone 84 04-29-2019 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OSU Flyer (Post 584824)
Have the top City League kids been leaving the conference for suburbs?

With Trotwood’s recent dominance, I’d say that’s a distinct possibility.
Posted via Mobile Device

OSU Flyer 04-29-2019 03:14 PM

Are Alter and CJ basketball anything any more? I think at one time they used to pull a lot of kids out of the city

SeasonTicketFan 04-29-2019 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OSU Flyer (Post 584833)
Are Alter and CJ basketball anything any more? I think at one time they used to pull a lot of kids out of the city

CJ had an excellent team this year, ranked high in division II. Alter had a down year. Trotwood won the state in Division II

CJ faded at the end, losing to Carroll in the last regular season game of the year. Then, the lost to Alter in the beginning of the state tournament.

Anthony Solomon’s son plays for CJ.

OSU Flyer 04-29-2019 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeasonTicketFan (Post 584851)
CJ had an excellent team this year, ranked high in division II. Alter had a down year. Trotwood won the state in Division II

CJ faded at the end, losing to Carroll in the last regular season game of the year. Then, the lost to Alter in the beginning of the state tournament.

Anthony Solomon’s son plays for CJ.

Thanks, appreciate it. Being out of the Dayton area I lose track of this stuff

lhsgolf19 05-26-2019 01:03 PM

Jaylen Murray

@JSMurray10
15m15 minutes ago
More
I just received a offer from @DaytonMBB Blessed ������������

5'11" Bronx PG Jaylen Murray... Has Texas Tech and Seton Hall (got it yesterday) offers

OSU Flyer 05-26-2019 01:04 PM

Jaylen Murray
@JSMurray10
I just received a offer from @DaytonMBB Blessed ������������

PG out of Cardinal Hayes in the Bronx

https://247sports.com/player/jaylen-murray-46058782/

sheg 06-30-2019 09:33 PM

2021 offer:

Louis Lemond, from France, living in Chicago.

https://mobile.twitter.com/lesmondlo...ybfdfypbs7j%2f

Lifelong Flyer Fan 07-01-2019 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheg (Post 588261)
2021 offer:

Louis Lemond, from France, living in Chicago.

https://mobile.twitter.com/lesmondlo...ybfdfypbs7j%2f

DDN article https://www.daytondailynews.com/spor...mpression=true

NCkevi 07-04-2019 03:16 PM

The FIBA u19 World Cup
One player that has taken advantage of the stage is 2021 center prospect Charles Bediako

Bediako has impressive physical attributes with good size for the position (6-foot-11), length and athleticism. He runs the floor, was active on the glass and showed potential on the offensive end of the floor.

Thus far, Bediako has taken unofficial visits to Ohio State and Dayton.
“Dayton, the coaching staff is friendly,” he said. “Seeing their gym, it was nice and their recovery room. “It’s an awesome campus.”

https://247sports.com/college/basket...nd--133423571/

jack72 07-04-2019 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCkevi (Post 588425)
The FIBA u19 World Cup
One player that has taken advantage of the stage is 2021 center prospect Charles Bediako

Bediako has impressive physical attributes with good size for the position (6-foot-11), length and athleticism. He runs the floor, was active on the glass and showed potential on the offensive end of the floor.

Thus far, Bediako has taken unofficial visits to Ohio State and Dayton.
“Dayton, the coaching staff is friendly,” he said. “Seeing their gym, it was nice and their recovery room. “It’s an awesome campus.”

https://247sports.com/college/basket...nd--133423571/

Wonder why we have not offered?

OSU Flyer 07-17-2019 06:15 PM

Bediako story from an Ohio State site

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-...details-recent

lhsgolf19 07-25-2019 10:52 PM

Another offer today

6’5” Puerto Rican guard Rafael Pinzon, plays at Lincoln Academy (Sissoko’s HS)

Has early offers from X and GT
Posted via Mobile Device

lhsgolf19 09-14-2019 09:36 AM

UD offers Lutheran East 6'7" PF Jay Billingsley

Lutheran East Falcons MBB
@LEFalconsHoops
·
10h
Congratulations to Jalin Billingsley
@JalinBillingsl1
for receiving an offer from the University of Dayton!!
@DaytonMBB

@univofdayton

We are proud of you, Jalin!! Keep up the great work academically and athletically!!

#FalconFamily

One of the best players in the state in 2021

jack72 09-14-2019 10:01 AM

Billingsley is a HS D3 player with few offers. I guess getting in early on a kid who could blow up.

OSU Flyer 09-24-2019 11:26 AM

Duquesne visited Thomas Worthington juniors Tyrese Hughey and Jalen Sullinger on Monday.

Dayton is expected in today while Miami (OH) is expected in tomorrow

Per Zach Fleer on Twitter
Posted via Mobile Device

lhsgolf19 09-24-2019 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OSU Flyer (Post 593378)
Duquesne visited Thomas Worthington juniors Tyrese Hughey and Jalen Sullinger on Monday.

Dayton is expected in today while Miami (OH) is expected in tomorrow

Per Zach Fleer on Twitter
Posted via Mobile Device

Hughey is a big target of the staff... I don't think it's a matter of if we are going to offer but when... No on Sullinger

Him and Jay Billingsley, who we recently offered, are two very good in-state Power Forwards, I'd love to land.

Medford 09-24-2019 01:19 PM

I assume Sullinger is somehow related to the Sullingers that went to OSU?

lhsgolf19 09-24-2019 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Medford (Post 593398)
I assume Sullinger is somehow related to the Sullingers that went to OSU?

Jared's nephew

OSU Flyer 09-24-2019 08:39 PM

Andrew Slater
@Andrew__Slater
·
59m
6’ Malachi Smith’21 of
@StRaymondRavens
earned an offer from #Quinnipiac today. Dayton, Penn St, Rutgers, Fairfield, UMass, St. Peter’s, and Iona are actively recruiting him

OSU Flyer 09-24-2019 08:41 PM

Zach Fleer
@ZachFleer270
·
2h
Dayton, Wright State and Youngstown State visited ‘21 London WG Trey Woodyard today

Flyer Dave 10-05-2019 01:00 AM

Saw that according to Rivals...Dayton is one of the schools listed for JONATHAN
KUMINGA. #1 rated in class of 2021. I can dream can't I?!!!

Sid Louick 10-05-2019 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyer Dave (Post 594520)

Which state?

CvilleFlyer 10-05-2019 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sid Louick (Post 594533)
Which state?

Verbal commits.com lists Dayton also as one of 26 teams, among all the bluebloods, who have offered the 5 star Kuminga. A good showing this season by the Flyers reaching all their goals is essential to attracting great players like him in the future and taking AG's recruiting up several notches!

Buster 10-05-2019 09:45 AM

Quote:

So, I decided to google his name and as I was typing his name google filled in:
- Duke and - NBA 2022 pick.

Yes. Dream indeed!

CvilleFlyer 10-05-2019 10:23 AM

Quote:

The 6'8" 210lb. phenom is from the Democratic Republic of the Congo and just transferred to the Patrick School in Hillside, New Jersey. If you want to see a great video of his array of moves verbal commits.com has a twitter entitled "This block by Jonathan Kuminga is just WILD." He traps it right on the backboard as an opposing player thought he had an easy breakaway layup. Also, one other sportwriter stated, "I don't really know how you stop him!"

Unfortunately, as Buster stated above, he will probably end up at DUKE! He undoubtedly saw how much money Zion Williamson signed for with the Pelicans.

lhsgolf19 01-07-2020 10:20 PM

New Offer Tonight

������������ ��������
@JusaunH
·
18m
Blessed and honored to receive an offer from Dayton!! #goflyers

6'5" Top 100 Forward JuSaun Holt out of Georgia... Already has offers from GA and GA Tech

OSU Flyer 01-07-2020 10:51 PM

Coach Grant loves 6'4-6'6 guys with versatility

PGH Basketball
@PGHBASKETBALL
6’4 Combo Guard Noey Hoffman (Bexley), just picked up an offer from Dayton....this will be the first of many as this kid is special. P5 recruit in the near future! #GRIT

Can't find anything on this guy

TommyGola 01-07-2020 10:56 PM

Are you sure it isn't Joey Hoffman?

lhsgolf19 01-07-2020 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OSU Flyer (Post 607834)
Coach Grant loves 6'4-6'6 guys with versatility

PGH Basketball
@PGHBASKETBALL
6’4 Combo Guard Noey Hoffman (Bexley), just picked up an offer from Dayton....this will be the first of many as this kid is special. P5 recruit in the near future! #GRIT

Can't find anything on this guy

I think it was made up... there is no Hoffman that plays for Bexley

EliteEight 01-08-2020 12:20 AM

The Jusuan Holt offer was real atleast! #94 recruit in the Class of 2021.

https://247sports.com/Player/Jusaun-Holt-46085454/

OSU Flyer 01-19-2020 08:13 PM

@jeffborzello
Some of the head coaches here today at Hoophall Classic: Roy Williams, Mike Young, Dave Leitao, Anthony Grant.

Assistants from Memphis, Notre Dame, Louisville, Vanderbilt, Pittsburgh, Kansas, Texas Tech, Ole Miss, Maryland, Tulane, Marquette, Clemson, others.

OSU Flyer 01-19-2020 08:27 PM

Billingsley proves his talent level

One of the more naturally talented prospects playing on Saturday was class of 2021 forward Jalin Billingsley. Already someone with high-major offers and interest, Billingsley is a legit 6-foot-7 power forward with a high skill level, and the ability to do a lot of things well on the court.

West Virginia has already offered Billingsley, and he is hearing from Ohio State, Xavier, VCU, Dayton and several other programs as well.

https://247sports.com/college/basket...lan-142430173/

SeasonTicketFan 01-19-2020 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OSU Flyer (Post 610235)
@jeffborzello
Some of the head coaches here today at Hoophall Classic: Roy Williams, Mike Young, Dave Leitao, Anthony Grant.

Assistants from Memphis, Notre Dame, Louisville, Vanderbilt, Pittsburgh, Kansas, Texas Tech, Ole Miss, Maryland, Tulane, Marquette, Clemson, others.

Anthony and most of the assistants were at Flyin to the Hoop Saturday.

They are working the recruiting efforts hard while the UD is a hot national item!

T-Bone 84 01-19-2020 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeasonTicketFan (Post 610252)
Anthony and most of the assistants were at Flyin to the Hoop Saturday.

They are working the recruiting efforts hard while the UD is a hot national item!

Strike while the iron is hot!
Posted via Mobile Device

OSU Flyer 02-10-2020 11:45 AM

Louis Lesmond is opening eyes and adding offers

One prospect in the Midwest who has seen his stock go up the most this year has been Louis Lesmond. A native of France, Lesmond is one of the most skilled players in the region, and the class of 2021 prospect is beginning to really make a name for himself in the Chicagoland area and beyond.

He is currently in the middle of a very strong year, and his list of suitors is definitely growing.

“I have offers from Nebraska, Illinois, Dayton, Santa Clara, Oklahoma, Loyola and Xavier,” said Lesmond. “I also have interest from Marquette, Indiana, Wisconsin and DePaul.”

https://247sports.com/college/basket...son-143612294/

DallasFlyer 02-10-2020 03:28 PM

Lesmond's dad played at Purdue in the mid 90s. He didn't play very much though.

m21eagle45 02-20-2020 04:14 PM

According to Twitter

Source: UCF and Dayton will have staff in tonight for four-star junior Alex Fudge. Georgia Tech will host him for an unofficial visit later this month.

He is a 4 star recruit out of Jacksonville Fl.

https://247sports.com/Player/Alex-Fudge-46086502/

OSU Flyer 02-21-2020 01:32 PM

@Andrew__Slater
·
24m
6’8” 4⭐️Jeremy Sochan’21 of
@LaLuBasketball
&
@indy_heat
has earned offers from Georgetown, Xavier, DePaul, Vanderbilt, Utah, Santa Clara & Wash. St plus strong interest from Michigan, Virginia, Maryland, Dayton, Oregon, Notre Dame & Marquette

Won MVP of FIBA U-16 B last summer

CvilleFlyer 02-21-2020 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OSU Flyer (Post 616990)
@Andrew__Slater
·
24m
@LaLuBasketball
&
@indy_heat
has earned offers from Georgetown, Xavier, DePaul, Vanderbilt, Utah, Santa Clara & Wash. St plus strong interest from Michigan, Virginia, Maryland, Dayton, Oregon, Notre Dame & Marquette

I liked his video on verbalcommits.com but, at 6'8" he looks thin. Definitely doesn't look like his listed weight of 207 lbs. This kid is only 15 years old and easily could bulk up to 230. A lot of offers but we should be able to recruit with them all after the season we are having!

OSU Flyer 02-21-2020 04:08 PM

Sochan is originally from Poland so perhaps Greer has a connect from his time in Europe

maddog07 02-21-2020 10:30 PM

He says “ This is brand new for me. I think it is a great thing to be able to play basketball, while also studying. ”. Where does that happen?
Posted via Mobile Device

springborofan 02-22-2020 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OSU Flyer (Post 616990)
@Andrew__Slater
·
24m
@LaLuBasketball
&
@indy_heat

I know I shouldn’t be this way but wasn’t our last European player a FIBA all star? He didn’t work out so well...

OSU Flyer 02-22-2020 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by springborofan (Post 617131)
I know I shouldn’t be this way but wasn’t our last European player a FIBA all star? He didn’t work out so well...

This guy has played in the US so I think he's more of a known quantity

Monster Man 02-22-2020 01:37 PM

Jalin Billingsley sitting behind the bench today. 6’7 Junior from Lutheran East.
Posted via Mobile Device

Flyer Al 02-22-2020 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EliteEight (Post 607847)
The Jusuan Holt offer was real atleast! #94 recruit in the Class of 2021.

https://247sports.com/Player/Jusaun-Holt-46085454/

Here is an interview with Jusaun
https://www.si.com/college/georgia/r...21-jusaun-holt

OSU Flyer 02-22-2020 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monster Man (Post 617171)
Jalin Billingsley sitting behind the bench today. 6’7 Junior from Lutheran East.
Posted via Mobile Device

He's been down for games a couple times now?

Monster Man 02-22-2020 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OSU Flyer (Post 617293)
He's been down for games a couple times now?

No, I misidentified him the last time. To my knowledge, this was his first visit for a game. I saw him on the concourse wearing a jacket that said Jay Billingsley, so I’m pretty sure it was him.

Jeff 02-22-2020 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monster Man (Post 617294)
No, I misidentified him the last time. To my knowledge, this was his first visit for a game. I saw him on the concourse wearing a jacket that said Jay Billingsley, so I’m pretty sure it was him.

Kid with the big afro? Dr. J? Let's go!

bryan 02-22-2020 09:03 PM

Also, it appeared that. Chase johnson was behind the bench with his parents. My eyes aren't
what they used to be, so someone else wii have to. Confirm.

lhsgolf19 02-22-2020 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bryan (Post 617325)
Also, it appeared that. Chase johnson was behind the bench with his parents. My eyes aren't

Nah that was a top 2022 in-state recruit

TommyGola 02-22-2020 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bryan (Post 617325)

There was a young man, 6'5" or so, who came out of the Donoher Center with his parents. He had a jacket on that said something about XXXXX Ohio Basketball. He sort of looked like Chase Johnson but was not tall enough. Any thoughts?

Monster Man 02-22-2020 10:21 PM

I’m pretty sure it was 6’3 Guard, Bowen Hardman from Cincinnati Princeton.
Posted via Mobile Device

Swampy Meadows 02-22-2020 10:23 PM

AJ Clayton is a 6’8” 2022 recruit who does look a lot like Chase Johnson:

https://m.facebook.com/270hoops/vide...le.com%2F&_rdr
Posted via Mobile Device

Monster Man 02-22-2020 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swampy Meadows (Post 617356)

Posted via Mobile Device

Good call, after looking at his picture it was AJ Clayton.

sheg 02-22-2020 11:01 PM

You can go to Dayton and get on Sports Center.

You can go to Dayton and be a lottery pick.

You can go to Dayton and get a top seed and legitimately compete for a natty.

You can go to Dayton and be a part of this team. No, this family.

Oh yeah, by the way, check out this ****ing crowd. Good luck getting that at Ohio State.

TommyGola 02-23-2020 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swampy Meadows (Post 617356)

Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks Swampy...it indeed was AJ Clayton. I guessed he was 6'5" but Max Preps indicates he is 6'7". His father had a shirt on that said "Philo Electrics." That is his home area near Philo, Ohio. It looks like Cleveland State has made an offer and Ohio University is showing interest. He is rated a 2-star at this point.

T-Bone 84 02-23-2020 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monster Man (Post 617294)

Was that the young man in the blue hoodie? We were waiting for friends in the ticket office when a young man in a blue hoodie who looked to be @ 6’6” came in with his mom, and an Arena representative redirected them toward the Donoher center.
Posted via Mobile Device

Jeff 02-23-2020 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheg (Post 617366)

Oh yeah, by the way, check out this ****ing crowd. Good luck getting that at Ohio State.

Mandatory reading for all recruits.

Jeff 02-23-2020 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T-Bone 84 (Post 617420)
Was that the young man in the blue hoodie? We were waiting for friends in the ticket office when a young man in a blue hoodie who looked to be @ 6’6” came in with his mom, and an Arena representative redirected them toward the Donoher center.
Posted via Mobile Device

Was sitting behind the bench. Maybe 7 foot with that hair!

BeckysTXA 02-23-2020 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheg (Post 617366)

This is all dead on and I’ll add there is no way a Recruit, their parents and their peer group will overlook what Grant & Company have done in their third year with this program from top to bottom. Everyone says the players pick head coaches to play for and schools second. Those of us who are older and wiser say that isn’t the wise decision, but I think we all know it’s what most recruits do. Grant is getting the reputation of being a players coach. I would bet Cohill will agree with that even after getting benched for basically two games. The staff can clearly find and develop players - not just Obi. Add in he is an alum and it’s highly likely he won’t leave during your career at UD, and who wouldn’t want to play for Grant.

Run, don’t walk, to get your verbal commit locked in now.

lhsgolf19 02-23-2020 04:31 PM

Jay BillHeavy dollar sign
@JalinBillingsl1
·
33m
Wanted to give a huge thank you to Coach Grant and the rest of the Dayton staff for allowing me and my family to attend the game yesterday afternoon #goflyers

https://twitter.com/JalinBillingsl1/...849924098?s=20

Big Kid... Really, really good player

T-Bone 84 02-23-2020 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lhsgolf19 (Post 617542)
@JalinBillingsl1
·
33m
Wanted to give a huge thank you to Coach Grant and the rest of the Dayton staff for allowing me and my family to attend the game yesterday afternoon #goflyers

Yep. That’s who I saw in the ticket office yesterday afternoon. From what little I saw, he seemed like he had the right personality to fit the program (i.e. not a prima donna). Keep us on your short list, Jalin!
Posted via Mobile Device

OSU Flyer 02-24-2020 10:28 PM

Andrew Slater
@Andrew__Slater
·
1h
#Dayton Associate HC Anthony Solomon is in D..C. tonight for the loaded WCAC title game
@DeMathaHoops
vs
@PVIHoops

#Flyers

TommyGola 03-01-2020 07:04 AM

E.J. Farmer - Cleveland Heights? Does anyone know anything about this young man? I have been reviewing some of his videos and he looks quite athletic. He is 6'5/180, good handle, and finishes well around the bucket. MaxPreps has him rated as a 2-star, but he looks better than that to me.

BeckysTXA 03-01-2020 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lhsgolf19 (Post 617542)
@JalinBillingsl1
·
33m

In addition to his photo with Obi and the thank you to the coaches for the game invite, his twitter also has Luke Frazier dunk posted. #udfamily

Medford 03-02-2020 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TommyGola (Post 619325)
E.J. Farmer - Cleveland Heights? Does anyone know anything about this young man? I have been reviewing some of his videos and he looks quite athletic. He is 6'5/180, good handle, and finishes well around the bucket. MaxPreps has him rated as a 2-star, but he looks better than that to me.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I think often times all a 2-star rating means is a kid is considered a D1 prospect (ie he has offers) but hasn't been evaluated for their "star" system. Truthfully, much of the star rating is based upon who has offered you scholarships, they don't sit down and evaluate 1,000s of kids in each class, they took a gander at legit scholarship offer claims and start handing out stars, then break down further the guys who shine at the AAU events and are legit contenders for top players in their class. If Duke offered the kid a scholarship tomorrow, he'd be a 4 star recruit in 2 days and not a single minute of tape would be examined by the star giver-outers over that time.

pmcmullen 03-02-2020 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Medford (Post 619483)
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I think often times all a 2-star rating means is a kid is considered a D1 prospect (ie he has offers) but hasn't been evaluated for their "star" system. Truthfully, much of the star rating is based upon who has offered you scholarships, they don't sit down and evaluate 1,000s of kids in each class, they took a gander at legit scholarship offer claims and start handing out stars, then break down further the guys who shine at the AAU events and are legit contenders for top players in their class. If Duke offered the kid a scholarship tomorrow, he'd be a 4 star recruit in 2 days and not a single minute of tape would be examined by the star giver-outers over that time.

Totally agree with you! If you're in or near the McD list, obviously people are paying you a lot of mind. Once you get into the sub 3.5 range, I'm betting much of it has to do with the number and quality of offers you have. I'd be willing to put money on kids from "known" high school programs getting a bump on it, too, and perhaps "connected" coaches that really push their players. That doesn't mean kids from smaller schools or less connected coaches aren't more talented.

That's one thing I like about Grant and staff - they just go watch kids play and see how they'd fit. Who cares about the ratings!

maddog07 03-02-2020 03:36 PM

How do we explain Frankie Policelli and Jerhy Matos? Ratings do matter. The teams consistently ranked get highly rated players. Sure there are outliers, but overall the higher rated kids have a better chance at success,

EliteEight 03-02-2020 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maddog07 (Post 619631)
How do we explain Frankie Policelli and Jerhy Matos? Ratings do matter. The teams consistently ranked get highly rated players. Sure there are outliers, but overall the higher rated kids have a better chance at success,

Frankie was a pretty highly rated kid. Around 220 or so if I remember correctly and had major interest from some pretty good programs.

OSU Flyer 03-02-2020 11:58 PM

@Andrew__Slater
#Dayton assistant coach Ricardo Greer was in tonight to see class of 2021 6’9” wing/forward Rafael Castro
@theylovecastro
from Dover HS (NJ) / Team Rio U (NJ)
#Flyers

OSU Flyer 03-02-2020 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EliteEight (Post 619706)
Frankie was a pretty highly rated kid. Around 220 or so if I remember correctly and had major interest from some pretty good programs.

Supposedly UC and Texas Tech offered him. I think Illinois was interested as well

OSU Flyer 03-03-2020 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maddog07 (Post 619631)

Yeah, you want 4 and 5 stars guys but Dayton's reality in the A10 are 3 stars with some 4 sprinkled in

Rankings go out the window when you get to the 200+ kid in the country range.

Look at the PG rankings for Crutcher's senior year. Jalen was 65th in the country. The Trae Youngs and Colin Sexton's at the top are obvious but once you get into the low teens it's a crap shoot

https://247sports.com/Season/2017-Ba...ol&Position=PG

steve 03-03-2020 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EliteEight (Post 619706)

Frankie could have even turned out to be a huge contributor. We have way too many expectations for instant success. Frankie was a very young freshman who was suppose to even RS but was forced into playing due to circumstances...

While his body said he was fairly ready, clearly his maturity and mindset was not. Both Archie and Grant have shown that the use of RS both Big Steve and Obi, respectfully, really paid off. We'll never know if Frankie could have been the next one.

CT Flyer 03-03-2020 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve (Post 619728)
Frankie could have even turned out to be a huge contributor. We have way too many expectations for instant success. Frankie was a very young freshman who was suppose to even RS but was forced into playing due to circumstances...

While his body said he was fairly ready, clearly his maturity and mindset was not. Both Archie and Grant have shown that the use of RS both Big Steve and Obi, respectfully, really paid off. We'll never know if Frankie could have been the next one.

Obi had no choice, it was an academic RS.

m21eagle45 03-03-2020 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve (Post 619728)

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT Flyer (Post 619741)
Obi had no choice, it was an academic RS.

Same with Big Steve.

Medford 03-03-2020 09:36 AM

96 min, 18 pts, 37% from 3 land, 9 assists, 5 turnover, 10 rebounds.

Are we talking about Trey's freshman season, or Frankie's? Or perhaps that was Devin Oliver's frosh stat line.

I wouldn't write Frankie's collegiate career off quite yet, neither Trey nor Devin blew people out of the water their frosh season, while Oliver played a bit more than either Trey or Frankie, it could be argued that all 3 would have been better served taking a redshirt.

For the record:

Trey:52 Min, 27 pts, 1-3 3pt, 3 A, 3 TO, 13 RB

Oliver: 305 Min, 44 pts, 15.8% 3pt, 15A, 20 TO, 74 RB

Bill McPeek 03-03-2020 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OSU Flyer (Post 619716)
@Andrew__Slater
#Dayton assistant coach Ricardo Greer was in tonight to see class of 2021 6’9” wing/forward Rafael Castro
@theylovecastro
from Dover HS (NJ) / Team Rio U (NJ)
#Flyers

Living in North Jersey and familiar with Dover H.S., I found this post interesting. According to a good friend of mine, who officiates H.S. hoops, and has had Dover a number of times, the kid is a "diamond in the rough."

maddog07 03-03-2020 10:32 AM

I give up. Let’s keep recruiting the 3 stars and worse. Clearly we can pick the diamonds out of the rough like no one else. Look at all the a10 champions we’ve amassed!
Posted via Mobile Device

SeasonTicketFan 03-03-2020 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maddog07 (Post 619758)
I give up. Let’s keep recruiting the 3 stars and worse. Clearly we can pick the diamonds out of the rough like no one else. Look at all the a10 champions we’ve amassed!
Posted via Mobile Device

The ratings services outside of the top 50 are all crap shoots. And very subjective.... More than one coach said that to me.

Coaches prefer their own evaluations to the recruiting ratings.

Not every prospect works out. Some develop after they arrive on campus. Others do not. Potential is a big factor here too.

Just about every recruit can be shown to play above or below their rating. Obi developed and possibly Frank did not.

You know that Anthony’s recruiting efforts are aiming the bar higher for players with more potential.