UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
UDPride Discussion Forums

UDPride Discussion Forums (http://www.udpride.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mens Basketball (http://www.udpride.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Would you want this (http://www.udpride.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32098)

TXFlyerFan 04-16-2018 11:25 PM

Would you want this

Duke lost it's entire starting 5, not due to graduation. Carter, Bagley III, Trent, Jr, and Duval all entered the draft, and Allen graduates as a senior. Duke may never have difficulty recruiting 4 and 5 star kids, but how can you build any consistency and play for national championship when that happens? Sure, it could happen, but a team with 4 freshman starters is probably not going to win it all, no matter how good they are.

DallasFlyer 04-17-2018 12:35 AM

Sign me up for Carter, Bagley, Trent, and Duval. If It’s just a year so be it. But I’ll pass on the one that’s going to graduate. Grayson Allen is the worst. I couldn’t stomach a single semester of that guy.
Posted via Mobile Device

keats '91 04-17-2018 08:13 AM

College basketball definition of 'first world problem'...

UDGutter2 04-17-2018 08:32 AM

My answer to your question is "NO". Part of the allure of college basketball is watching the young men grow and develope. I was looking forward to seeing how much better Kostas would be next year and the year after, his leaving is a big disappointment to me. I also enjoy seeing our opponents players mature, even if I do lament, "will that guy ever graduate?!?"

N2663R 04-17-2018 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TXFlyerFan (Post 548107)
Duke lost it's entire starting 5, not due to graduation. Carter, Bagley III, Trent, Jr, and Duval all entered the draft, and Allen graduates as a senior. Duke may never have difficulty recruiting 4 and 5 star kids, but how can you build any consistency and play for national championship when that happens? Sure, it could happen, but a team with 4 freshman starters is probably not going to win it all, no matter how good they are.

As much as I probably would not want that situation, let's face it, if it were the case, the Duke message board would be talking about UD, not the other way around. That is something I would want. :cool:

CE80 04-17-2018 08:55 AM

Quote:

https://media.giphy.com/media/CPDbE8X0nEe3u/giphy.gif

FlyerBob 04-17-2018 08:56 AM

It's such a foreign concept to our situation, but I'd say bring it on as a way to shake up our current recruiting reality.

Jeff 04-17-2018 09:20 AM

Absolutely. Every year. Sans Dick Vitale.

Justin 04-17-2018 09:27 AM

Minus the FBI and NCAA knocking on our door, I'll take it.

UD62 04-17-2018 09:28 AM

Quote:

Sigh me up

SLUFLYER 04-17-2018 10:36 AM

Yes, I prefer the old school approach and keeping players for 3 and 4 years and ALL that comes with that.

But given the scenario, I would take the situation of four (4) 1-and-dones with a graduating senior. Why? Because it gives us the best opportunity to win and win today. Duke was a roll out away from topping Kansas and going to the Final Four. In the current era of college basketball, we've made a run to the Elite 8. One time. And no other runs to speak of.

I would gladly accept the challenge of trying to rebuild/retool/reassemble the core of my roster year after year, if I was losing players to the draft that quickly. It gives me the best opportunity for success that year.

I think ESPN had an article about how the predominant one-and-done programs (Duke and Kentucky) have not necessarily correlated to the success (National Championship) that one might hope/expect, pointing to the fact that these programs/teams typically lack the upperclassman experience that seems necessary to win the National Championship. While true at it's core, the one thing that gets lost in all of this is that the NCAA Tournament is really a crap shoot, every year. The majority of teams that win it have significant contributions from upperclassmen, because the majority of teams have upperclassmen that are making significant contributions.

Duke and UK have seemingly "cornered the market" on building annual teams around one-and-dones, but I don't think anyone is so blinded to think that's a guarantee for a Nat'l Championship. But is does get them "the best" players for that year, and that ultimately increases their chances of winning games.

In an ideal world, you'd take your class of 5 McDonald's AA and 5-star recruits and perhaps only three of them leave early with some continuity remaining.

In the end, give me the best players I can possibly have for this year, with no guarantees or expectations on their lease with the program, and I will take my chances.

jack72 04-17-2018 10:41 AM

Poor Duke. They signed the top three HS seniors and thrown in lowly #17 for insurance.

Yes, it is bad for college basketball, and winning a national championship. Yes, I would trade that for our sub .500 record every time.

Medford 04-17-2018 10:57 AM

I just want to win; aside from blatantly breaking the rules/laws, and skirting any semblance of the student in student athlete, along with having kids that are "likeable" both on and off the court, I just want UD to win. I don't care if its with a bunch of one and dones, a bunch of 4th year seniors, a bunch of graduate transfers, juco transfers or regular transfers. I loved watching Kyle Davis grow over 4 years at UD, but I'd be just fine if I got to watch 1 year of Anthony Davis and Karl Anthony-Townes. Just win with kids that are easy to root for, I'm not too concerned about the rest.

Alberto Strasse 04-17-2018 11:01 AM

The One and Done Coaches

are at the center of the hypocrisy we call College Men's Basketball. College is intended to be a period of four years matriculation until graduation. Players who are NBA bound by talent and circumstance have no intention of graduating. By recruiting such individuals the "Coach" is undermining the institution he serves and dismissing the mission of the college or university.
One can argue that the "One and Done" player brings large sums of money to the table for the U. But that is that not job of the Development people? I will always root for the team that has the most seniors unless of course the Dayton Flyers with 5 "One and Done's" are the competition! At that point all of my values and beliefs are rendered null and void as I proudly cheer for the Flyers. I do believe the NCAA should recognize that under the current conditions
colleges and universities serve as the Minor Leagues for the NBA. These institutions should demand and receive compensation for their service.

TXFlyerFan 04-17-2018 11:30 AM

Interesting to see where people fall on this. Personally, while I want success, I don't think I would want a team of 1 and done's every year. On one hand, yes, it's a nice problem to have. But, I love watching the kids grow and improve every year, building up hope and expectations, and having a chance to make something happen. If I want to watch NBA in training for a year, I can go watch G League games, or even NBA games. I love college basketball, and all the things that make it different from pro basketball. The commitment and responsibility that goes with being a student athlete. No fake classes, no doing the minimum just to make sure you can play, etc. Maybe I'm just old fashioned, or more likely, just old, but that's my preference. Still, I can see the allure of knowing every year you'd likely be one of the top schools in the country. But in the end, I'd take Villanova over Duke/Kentucky.

Radar 04-17-2018 12:22 PM

Interesting perspectives from all. Put me in the "no" camp.

I'm a UD alum from the 80's, with 2 kids who are more recent UD alums. For us, UD is what we know, it's all we know. And we love it. Fortunately for my kids, most of their college years coincided with the 4 year run of NCAAs. I told them they were very very fortunate and of course hoped it would continue. The irony is that with AG, we now have a coach who's playing career pretty much coincided with my undergrad years. So I'm excited for him to have success and my kids see that.

Conversely I have several nieces and nephews who are UNC and Dook alums. They live in a different reality, of course. And they shrug at the negative PR from fake classes and players who leave their program borderline illiterate. Failure to them is not winning it all. These are basketball programs sponsored by colleges, not college basketball programs. My kids, their cousins, don't begrudge the fact that their reality is different...but they don't share in their joy either...as each March they make their tourney run and the Flyers are at home.

Needless to say, April 1, 2010 was an especially good day in our family:

UD 79
UNC 68

NIT Champions.

podcast411 04-17-2018 12:29 PM

This is a obviously a joke question - we just lost 5 players and only one is entering the draft. So yeah - I would rather we loose 5 players to the draft - then 1 to the draft , 1 to graduation, and 3 to where ever.

Gazoo 04-17-2018 12:37 PM

I will answer the question you're not asking: no, I don't want this for UD or for Duke (or any other school).

Go to the G league or overseas and stop b****ing that you're forced to play for "free" while coaches make millions.

I won't miss you.

ud2 04-17-2018 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by podcast411 (Post 548158)
This is a obviously a joke question - we just lost 5 players and only one is entering the draft. So yeah - I would rather we loose 5 players to the draft - then 1 to the draft , 1 to graduation, and 3 to where ever.

1 to graduation, 1 to the draft, and 4 to wherever.

MrFlyerFanatic 04-17-2018 03:55 PM

1992 Michigan

Quote:

Sure, it could happen, but a team with 4 freshman starters is probably not going to win it all, no matter how good they are.

Fab 5 came the closest in 1992. I don't remember the starting line up for the 2014 Kentucky team that lost to UConn, but they had 6 freshman McD's AA.

John C. 04-17-2018 06:06 PM

If I am a Duke fan, I don't need this to be good. Give me a combination that will go early and others that stick around. You can win a championship with that. If I am Dayton, bring it on. I really like paying attention to my team during the second weekend.

TheDuke2003 04-18-2018 08:32 AM

I think it'd be better for college basketball if they had a similar structure to the MLB draft. Either you go pro as a HS, or you have a 3 year college commitment before you are eligible again (unless you are 21 on draft day, then you can be a draft eligible sophomore). The 1 and dones can just go pro, and the college game can get back some of the consistency it needs. Also let kids have "advisors" like they do in MLB so they can make a decision after the draft of whether to go to college or not.

I think long term it's better for the NBA and college basketball. And in my opinion for every kid who goes to school 1 or 2 years and blows up while in college and then goes pro, there are probably 10 that leave early that shouldn't have. I doubt it ever happens, but I think it'd be a better system.

Buckleyma 04-18-2018 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ud2 (Post 548160)
1 to graduation, 1 to the draft, and 4 to wherever.

Plus 1 transfer to college of Charleston.
Posted via Mobile Device

CT Flyer 04-18-2018 10:15 AM

I like the one and done because I think it evens the playing field in college basketball for mid-majors, I just don't want us to be one of the schools with the one and dones.

rollo 04-18-2018 10:27 AM

Despite the annual travel expenses associated with the Sweet 16, E8 and F4, multiple nationally televised game headaches, hosting ESPN Game day broadcasts, neutral game requests from the ACC, BIG and B12 and all th extra donations and enrollment applications, I bet my royal estate that Spina, Sullivan and Grant would love for UD to become the 1-and-done Capital of the NCAA Basketball world.

OSU Flyer 04-18-2018 11:07 AM

AG can tout on the recruiting trail, he produced our first pair of 1 & dones this season

Gazoo 04-18-2018 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDuke2003 (Post 548218)
I think long term it's better for the NBA and college basketball. And in my opinion for every kid who goes to school 1 or 2 years and blows up while in college and then goes pro, there are probably 10 that leave early that shouldn't have.

I'll bet it's even higher at first, but you know what? Collateral damage in the "we have to play college players a salary" wars.

5 years into this experience there will be 100+ flameouts. All the clueless fathers and uncles who are so sure their little baby is NBA ready TODAY will see the landscape littered with corpses and think, "you know, on second thought a couple years of free college is actually a pretty good deal -- you know, just in case. Let's just test those waters first, and if he's so good, he can always play in Europe for a year."

big jordan 04-18-2018 02:43 PM

I am likely all by my lonesome here, but I do not care about wins and losses. For me, college basketball is about community. I realized this when Steve died - that definitely changed my perspective - or perhaps reinforced it. It's become difficult to analyze li eups or get upset at 3 point defense after that day

There are other reasons why I dont care about the outcome so much. Relying on 18-22 year olds to play consistenly good basketball is just setting yourself up for disappointment and frustration. And with the crapshoot nature of the tournament, the lack of quality officials - the sport is not really designed for the best team to win

For me, it's an awesome thing to follow with my friends and family. It's my greatest connection to the city that raised me, but I will rarely get to visit anymore

Sorry to get all sentimental on everyone. Go Flyers