UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
UDPride Discussion Forums

UDPride Discussion Forums (http://www.udpride.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mens Basketball (http://www.udpride.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Welcome to the Family Luke Frazier! (http://www.udpride.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33134)

lhsgolf19 06-11-2019 10:10 PM

Welcome to the Family Luke Frazier!

Lukas Frazier
‏@luke_frazier5
45s46 seconds ago
More
Thank you to everyone who has helped me throughout this process. With that being said I am 100% committed to the University of Dayton.#goflyers

https://twitter.com/luke_frazier5/st...29051055267840

The 2020 6'4" 3 Star Lake Catholic (Mentor, OH) Guard is now a Flyer! Tripledoubleprospects.com has him as the Top SG in the state for the 2020 class... He's more a combo guard.

http://l.hudl.com/v/2BEYSp

Good start to the class... Very good player who is only going to get better as he gets stronger.

OSU Flyer 06-11-2019 10:10 PM

Still on the hunt for a true PG or does he get a crack at it?

lhsgolf19 06-11-2019 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OSU Flyer (Post 587114)

My guess is they are definitely still going after a True PG

OSU Flyer 06-11-2019 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lhsgolf19 (Post 587115)
My guess is they are definitely still going after a True PG

https://media.giphy.com/media/26gsob...umBi/giphy.gif

TXFlyerFan 06-11-2019 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OSU Flyer (Post 587114)

Offers out to Alexander, Diarra, Farris, amongst a few others. Would guess they want a true PG for 2020.

OSU Flyer 06-11-2019 10:22 PM

His mother and father both played college basketball.

https://www.prephoops.com/2018/06/re...-frazier-2020/

Kevinob15 06-11-2019 10:25 PM

Count me as a skeptic for this signing but I’m optimistic that his body and athleticism can catch up to his skill with the ball. More of a fan of the athletic type so we can push the ball and play some better man to man defense. He will definitely have time his freshman year to get better in practice playing against what looks like is going to be a pretty athletic and talented group of seniors.
Posted via Mobile Device

OSU Flyer 06-11-2019 10:36 PM

flyerfan4life 06-11-2019 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevinob15 (Post 587119)
Count me as a skeptic for this signing but I’m optimistic that his body and athleticism can catch up to his skill with the ball. More of a fan of the athletic type so we can push the ball and play some better man to man defense. He will definitely have time his freshman year to get better in practice playing against what looks like is going to be a pretty athletic and talented group of seniors.
Posted via Mobile Device

He is a high jumper...dunks with ease. Just because he is white doesnt mean he is unathletic. Needs strength...he has plenty of athleticism.

OSU Flyer 06-11-2019 10:39 PM

didn't have a huge offer list but AG gets the benefit of doubt on IDing talent

tirebiter 06-11-2019 10:48 PM

I like a guard at 6'5 - can he shoot the 3?

Kevinob15 06-11-2019 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyerfan4life (Post 587123)
He is a high jumper...dunks with ease. Just because he is white doesnt mean he is unathletic. Needs strength...he has plenty of athleticism.

Just because he can jump doesn’t make him athletic either. We need quickness and strength that we’ve been lacking on the defensive side. Just tired of watching our guys get beat off the dribble.
Posted via Mobile Device

Fudd 06-11-2019 11:06 PM

He is a lefty. Interesting. He has a nifty behind the back dribble I noticed in one of his tapes. I think that is the most underappreciated skill for a driving player. If you do it right, it is nearly impossible to defend 1 on 1.

TA111 06-11-2019 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevinob15 (Post 587127)
Just because he can jump doesn’t make him athletic either. We need quickness and strength that we’ve been lacking on the defensive side. Just tired of watching our guys get beat off the dribble.
Posted via Mobile Device

If you haven’t, I suggest you pull up some recent video. He’s quite “athletic” in the sense that he possesses very good body control and appears to be pretty quick with a good handle.

T-Bone 84 06-11-2019 11:49 PM

If he can be a smaller, more agile version of Mikesell: sold! Welcome to the Flyer Family, Luke!
Posted via Mobile Device

Bigtimeflyersguy 06-12-2019 01:56 AM

It’s worth it to watch the full Hudl video from the original post. Knee-jerk pros/cons from the video:

Pros
———
Shooting (quick release, which can’t always be taught)
Dribbling
Body control (can’t be stressed enough how valuable this is)
Jumping (uses his legs well to hang in the air and creatively finish around the rim)

Cons
———
Strength (you’d like to see them come in looking like Moulaye but not all can)
Defense? (literally not one clip of defense from the video)
Definitely more cons exist, but in true highlight video form, he shot 100% and made zero mistakes

Welcome to the family Lukas! I look forward to hearing the low rumbling “LUUUUUKE” echo through UD Arena as you stroke it from deep.
Posted via Mobile Device

TommyGola 06-12-2019 04:02 AM

I like this pick-up. He does indeed need strength...that can be fixed. He has a great stroke and the ability to get to the hoop and finish. He is Ryan Mikesell with less height but a better stroke and drive to the hoop. I will take that any day.

TX Flyer 06-12-2019 06:42 AM

Thanks to mschwade for the heads up

steve 06-12-2019 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevinob15 (Post 587127)
Posted via Mobile Device

And just because someone has quickness and strength doesn't make them athletic either. If the kid was black, could jump, was pretty lean but could use muscle and you watched his dunks I'm betting you would not have even mentioned anything about athletic ability...

Gazoo 06-12-2019 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyerfan4life (Post 587123)

Quote:

Originally Posted by TA111 (Post 587129)
If you haven’t, I suggest you pull up some recent video. He’s quite “athletic” in the sense that he possesses very good body control and appears to be pretty quick with a good handle.

Quote:

Originally Posted by T-Bone 84 (Post 587131)
If he can be a smaller, more agile version of Mikesell: sold! Welcome to the Flyer Family, Luke!
Posted via Mobile Device

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve (Post 587142)
And just because someone has quickness and strength doesn't make them athletic either. If the kid was black, could jump, was pretty lean but could use muscle and you watched his dunks I'm betting you would not have even mentioned anything about athletic ability...

Steve for the win. I love the automatic assumptions made here, which I've highlighted in the past related to Mikesell. I was told he was slow and couldn't guard anyone. Say, who was that guarding St. B's best player at the end of the game on the road last year, and the first guy to slow the guy's scoring down? Mikesell.

longtimefan 06-12-2019 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fudd (Post 587128)
He is a lefty. Interesting. He has a nifty behind the back dribble I noticed in one of his tapes. I think that is the most underappreciated skill for a driving player. If you do it right, it is nearly impossible to defend 1 on 1.

Love lefties. Remember when we could have Ramod Marshall, Nate Green, D.J. Stelly, and W all on the floor at the same time. The other team didn't know what hit 'em.

CE80 06-12-2019 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longtimefan (Post 587146)
Love lefties. Remember when we could have Ramod Marshall, Nate Green, D.J. Stelly, and W all on the floor at the same time. The other team didn't know what hit 'em.

Chris Johnson too!

shapanud 06-12-2019 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OSU Flyer (Post 587118)
His mother and father both played college basketball.

https://www.prephoops.com/2018/06/re...-frazier-2020/

According to Jablonski, they both played at Muskingum University.

lhsgolf19 06-12-2019 10:03 AM

Don't forget he's also a gymrat too lol

DallasFlyer 06-12-2019 10:11 AM

"Frazier comes from quality basketball stock. His high basketball IQ benefits from growing up with a father, Chad, currently an assistant at Lake Catholic, who coached Moran at West Geauga and led the Wolverines to two state title games as a player. Luke’s mother, Kristy, played college basketball at Muskingum, where his father was also a football and baseball player. His sister, Ellie, is also a point guard for the Perry girls team."

https://www.news-herald.com/sports/h...6899f3cd3.html

Columbia Blue 06-12-2019 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoo (Post 587143)
Steve for the win. I love the automatic assumptions made here, which I've highlighted in the past related to Mikesell. I was told he was slow and couldn't guard anyone. Say, who was that guarding St. B's best player at the end of the game on the road last year, and the first guy to slow the guy's scoring down? Mikesell.

GROOVY BABY! Pass the Mikesells! How have they not sponsored a timeout yet !?!?!?

http://www.chipsandcrisps.com/upload...52944_orig.png

Medford 06-12-2019 10:49 AM

Running, jumping, shooting, lateral quickness, strength, passing, vision, dribbling, etc... are all forms of athleticism used/required in basketball. Some have it all (Durant), most only excel (relative to their level) in a handful of these. I see a kid who can jump, who can dribble, who can shoot, has good body control and vision, isn't afraid of contact....yeah I'll call that an athlete. He may not jump like Obi (how many do?), he may not be built like Mouyla (who is?), he may not have the speed of an Ibi Watson, but I watch that highlight reel and I see an athlete that makes plays.

He never misses a shot, but obviously how many misses are they not showing. Form looks good, he sets his feet quickly, get the shot of quickly, is often set up in good position to catch the ball when sitting for the corner 3, so I'd suspect his shooting % is very solid.

Some say he's lean, doesn't look at that lean for a HS junior to me. Looks stronger than Crutcher or Scoochie were coming out of HS. He doesn't appear to be afraid of contact, and that should only improve as he enters UD weight program.

I didn't see many (any?) assists. How many times does he drive the lane, get cut off and forces a bad shot? He shows great body control around the rim and thru contact, but how many forced shots were not shown? How many misses were left out with a wide open team mate streaking down the other side of the lane for an easy pass/layup?

He seems to anticipate the run out well, how many times does he get burned by running out too quickly and watches his teammates fail to gain control of the ball?

Don't recall seeing many (any?) rebounds in there, at 6'-4/5" in HS, PG or not you should be picking up a handful of rebounds a game.

I have no idea how good that level of competition is, so everything you see is relative.

Overall, looks like a solid add, potentially a great shooter that can fight thru traffic and finish around the rim. Good ball handler, confident stroke. UD needs kids that can fly down the court and rattle the rim, but they also need kids that can space out the defense by being a consistent threat from the perimeter (remember the 3 point line is moving back again)

ud2 06-12-2019 11:00 AM

Similar sounding name to Luke Fabrizius.

steve 06-12-2019 11:02 AM

And Matt Kuchar might be the best "athlete" on the PGA tour. Not the fastest, strongest, can't jump the highest but he's a tremendous golfer, the best tennis player on the tour, best ping pong player, tremendous water skier from what I've read and a really good horse player shooting the ball.

See where I'm going here? Great hand/eye coordination and skill set(s) makes a real good athlete also...

Gazoo 06-12-2019 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DallasFlyer (Post 587153)
His sister, Ellie, is also a point guard for the Perry girls team."

The high school of Chip Hare.

Swampy Meadows 06-12-2019 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Medford (Post 587156)
Looks stronger than Crutcher or Scoochie were coming out of HS.

AG was quoted as saying that Jalen Crutcher looked like a Middle School PG when he arrived at UD.

st marys 06-12-2019 01:34 PM

What makes someone athletic? Speed? How high they jump? Maybe the competition was crap, but not bad for competing on a whim...
http://www.udpride.com/forums/pictur...&pictureid=306

TommyGola 06-12-2019 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by st marys (Post 587170)
What makes someone athletic? Speed? How high they jump? Maybe the competition was crap, but not bad for competing on a whim...
http://www.udpride.com/forums/pictur...&pictureid=306

Great post, St. Marys! Case closed...just hit the weights hard this summer and you will be ready to go in 2020!!!

TheDuke2003 06-12-2019 02:10 PM

Isn't CAG 6'5"? The Jablonski article lists him Frazier at 6'4" but in the commitment picture on Twitter it looks like Luke is just a touch taller than CAG. Either way, glad to have him in the fold in what I expect to be a 4 player 2020 class and we're done for 2019.

Kevinob15 06-12-2019 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve (Post 587142)

That’s a joke because I said the same thing about Pollicelli and that’s exactly how it turned out. I don’t care if you’re black or white. You can tell when someone lacks that quick twitch ability. We get all these lanky kids who just don’t move quick enough to pay real man defense.
Posted via Mobile Device

jack72 06-12-2019 02:15 PM

We have had plenty of athletes with big holes in their game, especially in the BG era. Give me a kid who can do it all, including shoot well, and has basketball and floor awareness, and I'll take him ever time.

Frazier looks like that kind of kid. Great get for Coach Grant.

lhsgolf19 06-12-2019 02:23 PM

https://twitter.com/DavidPJablonski/...70366053523458

“When I was going down, I wasn’t really considering committing,” Frazier said. “I was going to wait it out and play the rest of my AAU season. But when I got there and saw the culture and their facilities and how basketball is such a big thing there, I just feel I can fit in the best..."

OSU Flyer 06-12-2019 04:08 PM

wonder if he played against Cohill in high school or had any relationship with him

CE80 06-12-2019 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OSU Flyer (Post 587185)
wonder if he played against Cohill in high school or had any relationship with him

Lake Catholic and Holy Name are in different conferences and regions. They would not meet until the final 4.

Would have to go back and look at old schedules to see if they ever played each other in a holiday tournament.

Edit - I just checked and they were in the same conference at one time. Will see if I can find a game where they both played.

TA111 06-12-2019 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CE80 (Post 587187)
Lake Catholic and Holy Name are in different conferences and regions. They would not meet until the final 4.

Would have to go back and look at old schedules to see if they ever played each other in a holiday tournament.

Edit - I just checked and they were in the same conference at one time. Will see if I can find a game where they both played.

There are highlights of Luke playing against Holy Name this past season. I’m pretty sure they’ve played against each other.

TA111 06-12-2019 06:18 PM

Apparently, not only do they know each other, but they were AAU teammates. https://www.news-herald.com/sports/l...a79512b09.html

longtimefan 06-12-2019 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TA111 (Post 587192)
Apparently, not only do they know each other, but they were AAU teammates. https://www.news-herald.com/sports/l...a79512b09.html

The guy who wrote that article said Dayton was 14-17 and 8-10 in 2018-19. Duh.....

Radar 06-13-2019 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longtimefan (Post 587195)
The guy who wrote that article said Dayton was 14-17 and 8-10 in 2018-19. Duh.....

He's qualified to work for DDN!

Jeff 06-13-2019 08:31 AM

Redshirt

ClaytonFlyerFan 06-13-2019 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff (Post 587229)
Redshirt

on the road, white at home :D

Marysville Flyer 06-13-2019 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClaytonFlyerFan (Post 587231)

Nice! Pretty sure the #11 kid in this state didn’t sign to redshirt. I guess if that prediction is made for every recruit eventually over the next 10 years eventually it will happen and someone’s dream can come true.
Posted via Mobile Device

Clear Prop 06-13-2019 12:16 PM

Welcome Luke! Can't wait to see you play!!!

TX Flyer 06-13-2019 12:26 PM

I’m ok redshirting a player here and there but not one every year. We shouldn’t expect freshman to come in and play significant minutes right away. Allowing him to get 5-7 min a game as a freshman will carry over more his sophomore year than a redshirt year imo. Obi really started to shine later in the season. Imagine if he actually played in real games the year he redshirted.
Posted via Mobile Device

IndianaFlyer 06-13-2019 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marysville Flyer (Post 587248)
Nice! Pretty sure the #11 kid in this state didn’t sign to redshirt. I guess if that prediction is made for every recruit eventually over the next 10 years eventually it will happen and someone’s dream can come true.
Posted via Mobile Device

For sure. Redshirts are few and far between in today's game other than for academics. If you are recruiting a kid asking him to redshirt, he is going to go where he thinks he is needed.
Posted via Mobile Device

Wallage 06-13-2019 12:28 PM

Great pickup. Good athleticism and lots of skills.

I don't think he redshirts, but should have the luxury of playing on a stacked team during his FR where he will be able to be brought along slowly if needed.

Jeff 06-13-2019 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClaytonFlyerFan (Post 587231)

Well played!!!

Ironic on this thread he's getting minutes and on another thread the discussion is about who's going to get minutes with all the new found depth.

Would love to see him come in and light it up. Looks like he needs 25 lbs of muscle.

We'll see.

jack72 06-13-2019 01:39 PM

The kid is just starting his senior year, as a highly rated prospect, and people are judging his skills, athleticism and size based on a 17 year old body and a few video clips. Glad these people were not recruiting Obi.

Probably some of the same people who complain we do not get certain recruits post negative stuff. Do you not think these recruits and their families and friends do not read this stuff? If you are a UD fan, be a fan, and support the coach and team.

bcross 06-13-2019 02:00 PM

I thought it was because Archie didn't recruit highly rated guys?

AZFlyer85 06-13-2019 02:05 PM

Good pickup. If I were AG, I bank the 2019 schollys and try to bring in a Scooch/Kendall/Kyle type class for 2020.

BeckysTXA 06-13-2019 02:43 PM

Solomon was down in TX and saw Luke apparently play very, very well in a tough tournament. He calls while at the airport (assumption - on his way home) and schedules a visit with AG - within days. And they offer. AG and company have done one heck of a job getting guys they think fit their system and plan to take UD TO THE NEXT LEVEL. This isn’t late in the recruiting cycle and they arent looking for a late bloomer or diamond in the rough, although they have done that really well when they have had too. This is the first commit of our 2020 class and I for one believe AG knows exactly what he’s doing with his offers.

I’m not 100% sure on the following (so offer up corrections) but I think this is AM’s recruiting “stats”

Jordan Pierce and Mateo Svoboda were A.M. recruits and I think Jordan Davis as well. All have left the program for three unique reasons (lower-level community college, turn pro overseas, and my guess is Davis saw what is coming this year and would not have been happy with his playing time.) I think all were AM Recruits.

Jalen Crutcher, Obi Toppin and Dwayne Cohill. All AG recruits and all doing well in the program.

Rodney Chatman, Chase Johnson, Jordy Tshimanga and Ibi Watson. All AG recruits/transfers. TBD - but reports are this group is great.

That leaves Frankie Policelli who transferred out. Circumstances were not in Frankie’s favor during his one season at UD. He was a late signee. Hope he puts together a great college career before he is done.

It looks like AG has brought in 8 guys and lost 1 of his recruits. With 13 scholarships, that success rate nets out 10-11 players working out and contributing to your program as the years cycle thru. Two years is a small sample, but at these numbers I’m all-in on every guy AG brings in.

Welcome to the family Luke.

CvilleFlyer 06-13-2019 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jack72 (Post 587259)
The kid is just starting his senior year, as a highly rated prospect, and people are judging his skills, athleticism and size based on a 17 year old body and a few video clips. Glad these people were not recruiting Obi.

Probably some of the same people who complain we do not get certain recruits post negative stuff. Do you not think these recruits and their families and friends do not read this stuff? If you are a UD fan, be a fan, and support the coach and team.

Recruiting is the lifeblood of any program. I waited a long time to add my .02 cents but count me in the camp that CAG knows exactly what he is doing. It doesn't take a Philadelphia lawyer to look up and down the roster and see a talent level from 1 to 11 that is as great, if not greater, than we have seen for a long long time! I believe Luke Frazier will be a significant piece of the puzzle for the 2020-2021 season and that AG will save the two scholorships from 2019 and add three more quality recruits for 2020 especially if we make a deep run in the NCAAT.

I will never complain if AG doesn't get a certain recruit because I am already impressed with the talent he and his assistants have been able to accumulate and I feel it will continue in the future. I agree that you aren't a true fan if you post negative stuff all the time.

Jeff 06-13-2019 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jack72 (Post 587259)

I’m not judging this kids ability. Just doing the math on a deep roster and a tall skinny kid that looks like he needs to get physically bigger to handle the grind.

We’ll see.

TommyGola 06-14-2019 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff (Post 587290)
I’m not judging this kids ability. Just doing the math on a deep roster and a tall skinny kid that looks like he needs to get physically bigger to handle the grind.

We’ll see.

The key is the young man will get a lot bigger. He just completed his junior year in high school. Look how other Flyers have blossomed physically. You can't change height, but you certainly can change strength.

San Diego Flyer 06-14-2019 08:52 AM

Fine prospect and not likely a redshirt

Seems like Luke has all the tendencies and raw skills of a fine prospect. But it should be crystal clear after several hard practices where he should spend his time. Like draining his energy in the weight room, and draining threes from the arc.

When he gets a dose of the men on our roster I think he will be motivated and energized to be the player AG thinks he can be.

MikeFlyer 06-14-2019 10:03 AM

Being skinny doesn't mean you aren't tough. I know videos don't mean much, but I see a kid that likes going to the hole. Kinda shows toughness.

88flyer 06-14-2019 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeFlyer (Post 587300)
Being skinny doesn't mean you aren't tough. I know videos don't mean much, but I see a kid that likes going to the hole. Kinda shows toughness.

He's also creative, makes nice adjustment - and finishes. I'll trust AG and staff on how he fits on the team.

Class of 73 Alum 06-14-2019 12:19 PM

Wife and I were sitting in Marianist Hall cafeteria while visiting our son 8 or 9 yrs ago when 2 mens coaches walked in with a rail thin recruit. I mean this kid was about 6'1" and maybe 140 lbs. I literally couldn't believe they were interested in this kid. I'm sure glad Scoochie decided he liked his visit.

buchanbj 06-14-2019 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeFlyer (Post 587300)

He doesn't seem scared to challenge people at the rim. Had some nice blocks in his highlight video. I didn't see anything that made me think he wasn't tough for the level (high school) he's playing out now.

Chris R 06-14-2019 08:00 PM

If Grant likes this kid, that gives me some comfort. Thus far, Grant has way more hits than misses. You cant expect a coach to bat 1.000. A lot of it is projection and taking calculated risks. You win some and lose some. At UD you have to take more risks than elsewhere. Not that Frazier is a risk. But we recruit fewer "cant-miss" guys that even if they underachieve still end up thoroughly good. Its also about filling needs/holes. The orchestra needs a little bit of everything.

Frazier will have his chance to prove himself. Grade him after that opportunity.

Mich Flyer 06-14-2019 10:03 PM

Tshimanga, Johnson and Watson

Saw Jordy Tshimanga and Chase Johnson today at the Kroger store on Stroop Road. Jordy had another player with him - I think it was Ibi Watson. I wished Jordy a good year. He shook hands with me and said he can't wait. Man, is he tall! I asked Chase Johnson if he was fully healed now, and he said he was.

lhsgolf19 06-29-2019 03:09 PM

Right now at the OHSBCA Showcase at Capital

Anthony Garcia

@nthonyCgarcia
2h2 hours ago
More
Lake Catholic 6-4 SG @luke_frazier5 (2020) is putting on a CLINIC at the 1 v 1 station. �� Dayton got a good one to start their 2020 class.

CvilleFlyer 06-30-2019 12:48 AM

David Jablonski on twitter: Chad Frazier, father of UD recruit, after seeing a game at UD Arena last season. "We didn't talk much in front of Luke, but my wife and I were like, Wow, this is big time."

TheDuke2003 07-01-2019 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CvilleFlyer (Post 588245)
David Jablonski on twitter: Chad Frazier, father of UD recruit, after seeing a game at UD Arena last season. "We didn't talk much in front of Luke, but my wife and I were like, Wow, this is big time."

Not too many cities outside of Durham, Lexington, and Chapel Hill where Basketball is #1. Dayton is one of those, and that passion can't be bought or artificially produced.

TommyGola 07-01-2019 05:03 PM

Bloomington, IN

Flyers98 07-01-2019 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDuke2003 (Post 588282)
Not too many cities outside of Durham, Lexington, and Chapel Hill where Basketball is #1. Dayton is one of those, and that passion can't be bought or artificially produced.

If you consider that the passion at alot of places (I will even guess somewhere between one and three of the ones you mentioned) is a byproduct of attracting top talent with illegal benefits, maybe it can be bought.

Shawnee2 07-02-2019 12:37 PM

Do any of you remember a short, skinny white kid by the name of Jay Burson? He played for TOSU back in the 80's!!

Medford 07-02-2019 12:45 PM

Isn't he the one that messed up his neck and had to wear that halo brace thing?

longtimefan67 07-02-2019 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Medford (Post 588318)
Isn't he the one that messed up his neck and had to wear that halo brace thing?

He actually broke his neck on that play. They didn't realize it until after the game.

TommyGola 07-02-2019 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee2 (Post 588317)
Do any of you remember a short, skinny white kid by the name of Jay Burson? He played for TOSU back in the 80's!!

Shawnee: Fantastic you mentioned this. Burson was the guy I immediately thought about when I saw Luke's picture. Burson was even skinnier and everyone thought that a skinny kid from a small school would never make it in the Big 10. Well, he proved them wrong. He eventually became all-conference and had a very good career at tOSU. Hard to keep a kid out of the lineup who can fill it up like Burson could. I actually think Luke is a little bigger, stronger, and more athletic than Jay Burson. I expect very good things from him over his career.

Shawnee2 07-02-2019 02:36 PM

The only reason I mentioned Burson is that you can never measure the competitive heart of an athlete!!!!!!!!!

Chris R 07-02-2019 02:42 PM

Burson tore us a new rear-end at the Arena. It was like watching a hot knife go through warm butter. It was a moment where the slide at UD suddenly went from "we're struggling" to "we're no longer any good".

lhsgolf19 07-08-2019 11:48 AM

Just released this morning... Prep Hoops Ohio has Frazier as the #2 Player in the State for 2020 (behind John Hugley of Brush)

"Currently no. 7 in 2020, Frazier has emerged as this class’s top guard. The future Dayton Flyer is both crafty and athletic — a combination that manifests itself in a dynamic shot-creator on the wing. Scores the ball from all levels, stays in front of wings, and makes good decisions. Plays on the balls of his feet."

Seems like we got a heck of player to start the class

jack72 07-08-2019 03:15 PM

Hugley has become a Top100 player with some great offers, including UD. At 6'8" and 240 pounds, he would be a great get.

John C. 07-08-2019 07:53 PM

Maybe, just maybe, Luke is a little more athletic that some of you implied.

MNFats 07-08-2019 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John C. (Post 588565)

But, but, but - he's white. And I've been led to believe on these message boards that he's some combination of Ryan Mikesell, Luke Fabrizius, and every other white guy whose every played for us.

Change only the skin color and the comparisons change to Chis Johnson.

Gazoo 07-09-2019 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John C. (Post 588565)

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNFats (Post 588572)
But, but, but - he's white. And I've been led to believe on these message boards that he's some combination of Ryan Mikesell, Luke Fabrizius, and every other white guy whose every played for us.

He's "crafty". Kind of like if you said about some of our other recruits they are "well spoken".

Kevinob15 07-09-2019 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNFats (Post 588572)

Wait to watch him play on ball defense against D1 athletes before you anoint him the second coming of Chris Johnson. That’s where any lack of athleticism will show itself
Posted via Mobile Device

MNFats 07-09-2019 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevinob15 (Post 588583)
Wait to watch him play on ball defense against D1 athletes before you anoint him the second coming of Chris Johnson. That’s where any lack of athleticism will show itself
Posted via Mobile Device

Are you suggesting Luke doesn't have the athleticism to play on ball D at the D1 level?

IndianaFlyer 07-09-2019 09:37 AM

And you could wait and watch the same way before deciding he can't.
Posted via Mobile Device

Buster 07-09-2019 11:50 AM

I may have missed it buried in the thread, but anyone have any actually stats?

Just seems lots of debate of how strong or athletic he is/isn't.....

Buster Goode 07-09-2019 12:19 PM

I love reading assessments and conclusions based on 2 minute mixtapes.

Kevinob15 07-09-2019 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNFats (Post 588584)
Are you suggesting Luke doesn't have the athleticism to play on ball D at the D1 level?

I’m saying don’t compare him to Chris Johnson until he proves that he does. That’s a lofty comparison
Posted via Mobile Device

MNFats 07-09-2019 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevinob15 (Post 588596)
I’m saying don’t compare him to Chris Johnson until he proves that he does. That’s a lofty comparison
Posted via Mobile Device

Oh for sure. Agree 100%. I hate player comparisons, but people around here love them. I was just pointing out that if nothing about Luke changed, except skin color, that nobody would compare him to Mikesell.

Chris Johnson is a favorite of mine, so he came to mind. Both lefty guards from OH with similar size. And that's as far as the comparisons can go for now.

PalmBeachFlyer 07-09-2019 05:38 PM

Reminds me of Luke Kennard who did not blow up until Summer between his Jr & Sr Year.

Shawnee2 07-09-2019 05:43 PM

Palm you are so wrong I am embarrassed for you!

UDGutter2 07-09-2019 05:54 PM

Didn't he switch positions this past year to help his team? I would think there was probably an adjustment period. Let's see how his senior year goes.

springborofan 07-09-2019 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PalmBeachFlyer (Post 588608)
Reminds me of Luke Kennard who did not blow up until Summer between his Jr & Sr Year.

Ummm...Luke Kennard blew up WAY before summer between his Jr. and Sr. Year. As a freshman he averaged almost 20 points per game. My son played for Springboro at the time and they double teamed his when he was a Freshman!

OSU Flyer 07-09-2019 07:31 PM

He reminds me of Nate Green

SeasonTicketFan 07-09-2019 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by springborofan (Post 588611)
Ummm...Luke Kennard blew up WAY before summer between his Jr. and Sr. Year. As a freshman he averaged almost 20 points per game. My son played for Springboro at the time and they double teamed his when he was a Freshman!

UD started to recruit Kenard when he was a freshman in high school. By sophomore year, Kenard spurned UD because he already had bigger offers.

MikeFlyer 07-09-2019 08:05 PM

He reminds me of Lew Alcindor

Medford 07-10-2019 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeFlyer (Post 588617)
He reminds me of Lew Alcindor

I'd say he's more of a modern day Kareem Abdul-Jabar.

CE80 07-10-2019 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Medford (Post 588640)
I'd say he's more of a modern day Kareem Abdul-Jabar.

Now things are getting silly. Lew Alcindor was a tremendous college player. Kareem Abdul-Jabar was an NBA all star.

rollo 07-10-2019 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PalmBeachFlyer (Post 588608)

Luke Kennard was a household name in virtually every college Athletic Office in 6th grade.
Posted via Mobile Device

ClaytonFlyerFan 07-10-2019 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rollo (Post 588643)
Luke Kennard was a household name in virtually every college Athletic Office in 6th grade.
Posted via Mobile Device

He was burning up the AAU circuit at a young age. Put up 16 points against us in the 1st quarter of a game when he was in 5th grade, of course our coach (me) was clueless on what to do to stop him. Even tried gimmick junk defenses (box and 1, triangle and 2) that I should not be teaching kids at that age. Luke always found the open man to pass to who would score on us then.

Widget 07-10-2019 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buster (Post 588593)

Just seems lots of debate of how strong or athletic he is/isn't.....

I like that he has an NBA-ready body