UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
UDPride Discussion Forums

UDPride Discussion Forums (http://www.udpride.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mens Basketball (http://www.udpride.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Welcome to the Family Jhery Matos! (http://www.udpride.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31900)

lhsgolf19 02-18-2018 11:34 AM

Welcome to the Family Jhery Matos!

https://twitter.com/sonrisaka14/stat...57461975445506

6'6" 190 pound SG/SF out of Santo Domingo in the Dominican Republic... Plays for Monroe College in New York (JuCo)

Will have 2 years left of eligibility.

http://www.monroecollegemustangs.com...spx?rp_id=4872

25 GP
21.3 MPG
17.8 PPG
6.3 RPG
3.0 APG
2.3 SPG
43.7 FG
36.2 3PT
71.0 FT

#27 Ranked JuCo according to jucorecruiting.com
http://www.jucorecruiting.com/2018top100rankings

lhsgolf19 02-18-2018 11:37 AM

ClaytonFlyerFan 02-18-2018 11:40 AM

lhs with the breaking news again. Thanks for the update, welcome Jhery!

lhsgolf19 02-18-2018 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClaytonFlyerFan (Post 537742)
lhs with the breaking news again. Thanks for the update, welcome Jhery!

haha... Schwade had the premium info that he officially visited this weekend and was at the game yesterday lol... so I was hoping it was coming

ruechalgrin 02-18-2018 11:52 AM

From 3 years ago.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Jhery-Matos-74939/
Posted via Mobile Device

OSU Flyer 02-18-2018 11:55 AM

Ricardo Greer connection?

THirt 02-18-2018 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OSU Flyer (Post 537747)
Ricardo Greer connection?

For sure.

Per Verbal Commits, he had a Florida State offer in 2016. I don’t know why he went the JuCo route... grades? Language? He sounds like a solid addition.
Posted via Mobile Device

OSU Flyer 02-18-2018 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THirt (Post 537748)
For sure.

Per Verbal Commits, he had a Florida State offer in 2016. I don’t know why he went the JuCo route... grades? Language? He sounds like a solid addition.
Posted via Mobile Device

could be transcripts depending on how much time he's been in the states. just like the NCAA wouldn't clear Kostas overseas work

ruechalgrin 02-18-2018 12:02 PM

AG adding Greer as a Spanish-speaking assistant and leveraging Dayton's strong Puerto Rican student community (the Marianist High School in San Juan sends a ton of students to UD every year) is a very smart recruiting strategy.
Posted via Mobile Device

OSU Flyer 02-18-2018 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruechalgrin (Post 537745)
From 3 years ago.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Jhery-Matos-74939/
Posted via Mobile Device

Defensively Matos has the tools to be an absolute menace with his quick feet, good size and long arms

https://media.giphy.com/media/1Z02vuppxP1Pa/giphy.gif

Hobopotamus1 02-18-2018 12:13 PM

The link says that he is 22 does that mean that he is 22 now or 22 3 years ago?

Jeff 02-18-2018 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hobopotamus1 (Post 537754)
The link says that he is 22 does that mean that he is 22 now or 22 3 years ago?

Link also says he is 6'3". Grew a little also.

OSU Flyer 02-18-2018 12:28 PM

Freshman year profile at Eastern Florida State

http://www.efsctitans.com/sports/mbk...tos_jhery_ep7j

BRob2Perryman3 02-18-2018 12:34 PM

Now let's go get some meat for the low post!

Hobopotamus1 02-18-2018 01:02 PM

I have a question about JUCOs. I noticed that there are a lot of guys in the top 20 on that list going to mid-major colleges. It makes me wonder what quality of player is in this top 30. When I was following basketball and recruiting more closely 20 years ago the top jucos were always going to the high major schools, at least the top 30 or 40. Is that still the case or did something happen that made jucos generally not quite as good as they used to be?

DallasFlyer 02-18-2018 01:04 PM

Scouting Report: Creative. Unconventional. Unique talent. Willing to take risks.

Haven’t seen any tape though. I got all that from last night’s hairstyle.

https://twitter.com/davidpjablonski/...621782531?s=12
Posted via Mobile Device

Hobopotamus1 02-18-2018 01:09 PM

OSU Flyer 02-18-2018 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hobopotamus1 (Post 537766)
I have a question about JUCOs. I noticed that there are a lot of guys in the top 20 on that list going to mid-major colleges. It makes me wonder what quality of player is in this top 30. When I was following basketball and recruiting more closely 20 years ago the top jucos were always going to the high major schools, at least the top 30 or 40. Is that still the case or did something happen that made jucos generally not quite as good as they used to be?

JUCO talent isn't what was in the 90s. More kids do a 5th year of prep school. I think with the rise of basketball factory schools like Huntington Prep, Findlay, etc some of these academic risk kids can get their hands held and more attention

The school Jevon Thomas went to into North Carolina I think had an expose run on it that basically portrayed it as a diploma mill for basketball players
Posted via Mobile Device

Flyer 86 02-18-2018 01:14 PM

Plays in traffic. Quick... good good.
Some passing.

Hmmm.

OSU Flyer 02-18-2018 01:16 PM

Ohio University got a kid from Monroe who played in the NBA in a couple years ago, Maurice Ndour.
Posted via Mobile Device

OSU Flyer 02-18-2018 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hobopotamus1 (Post 537766)

http://www.jucorecruiting.com/news_article/show/879818?referrer_id=1424455

If you look at the list of guys they put doing well in D1 there's some guys from outside the top 30. At the A10 level & above there's probably a handful of high impact guys. AG got I think the #1 JUCO center & player in America at Alabama. He never did much at the college level. It's a crap shoot with JUCOs

I certainly hope this guy is the best player in the history of the program but being the 6/7th guy off the bench & giving Trey/JD some rest would make a difference. It's an important role & after this year there's plenty of minutes for someone as a 6th man type
Posted via Mobile Device

jack72 02-18-2018 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRob2Perryman3 (Post 537762)
Now let's go get some meat for the low post!

There are three big guys in the Top 22 of Juco's, hopefully our staff is on them.

FlyerBob 02-18-2018 01:43 PM

So zero ‘ships left for next season. I presume no more recruitment news until after this season and we lose a player or two?

jack72 02-18-2018 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyerBob (Post 537782)
So zero ‘ships left for next season. I presume no more recruitment news until after this season and we lose a player or two?

Probably, but maybe someone(s) has told Grant, and it is just not public yet.

ruechalgrin 02-18-2018 02:01 PM

The coaches already know how many players will likely be leaving this offseason. Anywhere from 1-3 more is my speculation, with an emphasis on speculation.

So I would not be shocked if Dayton has more commitments before more player exits are announced.
Posted via Mobile Device

OSU Flyer 02-18-2018 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyerBob (Post 537782)

Staff was recruiting guys in the fall without an open scholarship technically. I think they'll still be news
Posted via Mobile Device

DallasFlyer 02-18-2018 03:07 PM

We likely have SEVERAL more open. Staff cannot afford to let up on the recruiting front.
Posted via Mobile Device

TommyGola 02-18-2018 04:42 PM

I like this recruit. He has a nice pull-up jumper that can be difficult to stop at any level. I think everything we see that Anthony Grant is doing is all about building for the future. X, Crosby, and maybe Kostas are currently in the dog house. The former two don't look like they will every get out. Many fans are playing checkers; Anthony Grant is playing chess.

TXFlyerFan 02-18-2018 04:44 PM

Flyer Feedback show seemed in indicate next year's team will look significantly different than this year's team, without offering any specifics. That was Bedell and Hall discussing. I think we are all in near agreement there will be at least one and possible three more available.

TXFlyerFan 02-18-2018 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TommyGola (Post 537823)
I like this recruit. He has a nice pull-up jumper that can be difficult to stop at any level. I think everything we see that Anthony Grant is doing is all about building for the future. X, Crosby, and maybe Kostas are currently in the dog house. The former two don't look like they will every get out. Many fans are playing checkers; Anthony Grant is playing chess.

That was another point they made on Flyer feedback. That Grant may be sacrificing some of this year to set the tone and expectations for the future. I sure hope so, and that there's a quick turnaround, because this year is not satisfying in any way.

Hobopotamus1 02-18-2018 05:03 PM

Does anyone have info on who else was offering in 2018?

DallasFlyer 02-18-2018 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hobopotamus1 (Post 537831)

Dayton is out ahead of most programs on JUCO trail. Most are focused on current season.
Posted via Mobile Device

TommyGola 02-18-2018 06:41 PM

This is for King Rollo to figure out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFQKae10lLY

Columbia Blue 02-18-2018 08:28 PM

Looks like he attended east Florida State college for one year then transferred to Monroe? Wonder how common that is. I trust our coaches. Appears to have talent.

I'm still hoping we get a grad transfer or two for experience, but juco next best thing. And Josh stays!

OSU Flyer 02-18-2018 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hobopotamus1 (Post 537831)

Tennessee Martin

rollo 02-18-2018 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TommyGola (Post 537840)
This is for King Rollo to figure out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFQKae10lLY

No habla español

DallasFlyer 02-18-2018 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OSU Flyer (Post 537864)
Tennessee Martin

Looks like Florida State offered October 2016. And Tennessee Martin offered October 2017. No other offers on record.

After going JUCO, unless you were a qualifier out of high school, means you are in the JUCO ranks 2 years. March/April of 2018 would be when a guy like Jhery would really have they eyes of coaches. Dayton is getting out early on these guys.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sea Bass 02-18-2018 09:47 PM

My guess is that AG is looking for guys that can defend

DallasFlyer 02-18-2018 10:48 PM

East Tennessee State University brought Matos in earlier this month for a visit.

http://csnbbs.com/thread-796337-post...ml#pid15048058

TXFlyerFan 02-18-2018 10:53 PM

Really looking forward to seeing AG get his guys in and how they perform. Crutcher is a steal, looking forward to seeing Cohill, Toppin, and now Matos, and possibly one or two more.

OSU Flyer 02-18-2018 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DallasFlyer (Post 537877)
East Tennessee State University brought Matos in earlier this month for a visit.

http://csnbbs.com/thread-796337-post...ml#pid15048058

Steve Forbes knows Jucos, that's a good sign
Posted via Mobile Device

DallasFlyer 02-18-2018 11:05 PM

I think Jhery Matos may have actually committed to Florida State at some point. ACCBasketballReport.com - a fairly reputable site - actually lists Matos as a member of this year’s 2017-2018 class in a preseason preview article.

https://accbasketballreport.com/2017...ictions-9-fsu/

Not sure what happened there.

OSU Flyer 02-18-2018 11:23 PM

He would have to have been a qualifier out of high school
Posted via Mobile Device

Muckem333 02-19-2018 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rollo (Post 537865)
No habla español

He seems like a very well-spoken kid. I lived in the DR for 4 years and many kids don't speak as clearly as him.

Jhery: "First, I want to greet all of you. I feel thankful to be invited to the practice preselection in the Majors for the first time. I was part of the Minors selection at 17, 18 and 19. And I'm really happy to be here competing with the greatest, learning from them and always making big things happen, and participating with them.

Interviewer: "What do you expect from the practices from this Majors team that is preparing for the AmeriCup tournament that will be in Uruguay this month?"

Jhery: "To learn first and foremost. To have more consistency in my game. To know the tactics and movements you have to have in the Majors so that in the future when I get an opportunity, I'll be able to be a part of the team."

Interviewer: "When they found you, how did it feel when you knew you were going to be a part of this pre-selection?"

Jhery: "Mostly thankful because it's not an opportunity that everyone in the world gets. And God willing, I'll be able to take full advantage of the opportunity."

**[More or less]**

Lifelong Flyer Fan 02-19-2018 11:20 AM

http://www.mydaytondailynews.com/spo...j5LESsGKxAiIK/

Both Greer and Kane had a hand in this recruitment. Nice job.

OSU Flyer 02-19-2018 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lifelong Flyer Fan (Post 537951)
http://www.mydaytondailynews.com/spo...j5LESsGKxAiIK/

Both Greer and Kane had a hand in this recruitment. Nice job.

Almonte praised the athleticism of Matos and said while he has to work on his shot, he can get to the basket and he’s scrappy.

“He’s going to do a lot of stuff you’re not going to see in the stats,” Almonte said.

IndianaFlyer 02-19-2018 01:10 PM

If he can play lock down D and get to the basket he can help this team next year while his shot is developing. I'm excited he is going to be a part of the team.

Flyer 86 02-19-2018 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OSU Flyer (Post 537772)
Ohio University got a kid from Monroe who played in the NBA in a couple years ago, Maurice Ndour.
Posted via Mobile Device

:There is some good competition at Monroe (in da Bronx NY) and i believe there have been years they 've been ranked.

lhsgolf19 02-19-2018 03:38 PM

David Jablonski
‏Verified account @DavidPJablonski
21m21 minutes ago

New Dayton recruit Jhery Matos on seeing a game at UD Arena: "It's a crazy, amazing atmosphere. I can't wait to be there."

David Jablonski
18m18 minutes ago

Jhery Matos on why he picked the Dayton Flyers: "What I liked most was the commitment of the coaching staff and, honestly, everyone that is around the team. From the moment I met the Dayton coaching staff, I felt it was the right place for me."

Flyers98 02-19-2018 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lhsgolf19 (Post 538039)
David Jablonski
21m21 minutes ago

New Dayton recruit Jhery Matos on seeing a game at UD Arena: "It's a crazy, amazing atmosphere. I can't wait to be there."

David Jablonski
18m18 minutes ago

Jhery Matos on why he picked the Dayton Flyers: "What I liked most was the commitment of the coaching staff and, honestly, everyone that is around the team. From the moment I met the Dayton coaching staff, I felt it was the right place for me."

I believe Crutcher and Cohill both said similar things about “feeling like the right place” and the commitment of the staff. Excited to see who AG can bring in and what he can do with it.

Flyer68 02-19-2018 07:50 PM

My daughter's boyfriend is the radio play by play announcer at Pace University in Pleasantville, NY and is also a play by play and public address announcer at Monroe College in New Rochelle, NY. He has seen a lot of college basketball over the years.

When I heard about Matos, I asked him about Matos. He said he is a very good player and was team's high scorer. Has been playing a lot of point and shooting guard. He is nice kid and listed as 6'6" on the Monroe roster. Rhode Island and Providence had been to Monroe to see Matos in the past two weeks. Monroe has an excellent JUCO coach and program has produced a number of college transfers to highly rated DI schools such as Providence, Rhode Island, St. Bons, Seton Hall and St. Johns and now Dayton. Favorism to Catholic schools?

My only concern would be the caliber of competition he has faced and will face. At least our past transfers from Southern Illinois, Ohio State and Bradley had watched and played against Di competition.

Flyer 86 02-19-2018 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyer68 (Post 538099)
My daughter's boyfriend is the radio play by play announcer at Pace University in Pleasantville, NY and is also a play by play and public address announcer at Monroe College in New Rochelle, NY. He has seen a lot of college basketball over the years.

When I heard about Matos, I asked him about Matos. He said he is a very good player and was team's high scorer. Has been playing a lot of point and shooting guard. He is nice kid and listed as 6'6" on the Monroe roster. Rhode Island and Providence had been to Monroe to see Matos in the past two weeks. Monroe has an excellent JUCO coach and program has produced a number of college transfers to highly rated DI schools such as Providence, Rhode Island, St. Bons, Seton Hall and St. Johns and now Dayton. Favorism to Catholic schools?

My only concern would be the caliber of competition he has faced and will face. At least our past transfers from Southern Illinois, Ohio State and Bradley had watched and played against Di competition.

My thoughts too. However this kid looks quick, has the lanky arms. Stats are about what they should be for a top JUCo. I like the fact he rebounds well.

We need rebounders and defenders. Add another quick player or two, then the possibility of pressing/trapping becomes an option. Especially if Toppin can also get around on the floor.

JT NYFLYER 02-20-2018 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OSU Flyer (Post 537864)
Tennessee Martin

Fordham was actively recruiting him as well.Seems like a great kid from the short conversation I had with him on his flight back to NY after visiting Dayton.
Posted via Mobile Device

CvilleFlyer 02-20-2018 08:41 AM

Jhery Matos! Anyone know how his name is pronounced? Is it Jerry? Is Matos with a short a or a long a? Mat or Mate?

My son lives in Charlotte, NC and he noticed the Flyers got a commitment from him and asked me.

I guess we will have to wait till the end of the season to see if any more schollies open up due to transfers.

CvilleFlyer 02-20-2018 12:28 PM

Found out the pronunciation is just how it sounds! Jerry Matos (mat not mate).

On you tube all the interviews were in Spanish but I heard an announcer when he was introducing the starting lineup for Monroe.

We need another rebounder to help out Cunningham (hoping he stays), Landers, Toppin and Kostas (if he ever bulks up) and he seems like a good one who has scoring ability as well!

OSU Flyer 02-20-2018 12:42 PM

this is going off years old Spanish knowledge but J is pronounced with H and H is silent in Spanish. In Spanish it could be pronounced Hery. Speculation on my part

DallasFlyer 02-20-2018 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CvilleFlyer (Post 538186)
Found out the pronunciation is just how it sounds! Jerry Matos (mat not mate).

It should probably be Mottos... assuming a standard Spanish pronunciation.
Posted via Mobile Device

DallasFlyer 02-20-2018 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyer68 (Post 538099)

Thank you for relaying that insight. He’s listed as a guard / small forward but from what I saw he is definitely a guard. The transfer you don’t allude to - Charles Cooke (James Madison) - is the obvious comparison. Same height, build, etc. I don’t so much worry about the competition, but I wish he was regarded more as a pure or elite shooter. I think that if he struggles to make an impact, that will be the reason. But he sounds like a humble, coachable guy who is willing to play whatever role the team needs. So I like that. And I like his size, and versatility, particularly as we seem to be trending to 4 guard lineups.
Posted via Mobile Device

TA111 02-20-2018 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DallasFlyer (Post 538213)
Thank you for relaying that insight. He’s listed as a guard / small forward but from what I saw he is definitely a guard. The transfer you don’t allude to - Charles Cooke (James Madison) - is the obvious comparison. Same height, build, etc. I don’t so much worry about the competition, but I wish he was regarded more as a pure or elite shooter. I think that if he struggles to make an impact, that will be the reason. But he sounds like a humble, coachable guy who is willing to play whatever role the team needs. So I like that. And I like his size, and versatility, particularly as we seem to be trending to 4 guard lineups.
Posted via Mobile Device

Interesting that you bring up the Cooke comparison. If you remember Charles was thought to be a very good athlete, but a poor shooter when he played at JMU. He worked hard to improve his shot.

TA111 02-20-2018 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OSU Flyer (Post 538191)
this is going off years old Spanish knowledge but J is pronounced with H and H is silent in Spanish. In Spanish it could be pronounced Hery. Speculation on my part

You are correct. It’s pronounced yery- the J is silent.

jack72 02-20-2018 03:08 PM

Wish someone could just tell us how Jhery wants his name pronounced. There are slight differences for certain letters in Mexico Spanish, Spain Spanish and Dominican Spanish. There are differences among dialects even in the Dominican Republic. I believe the "jh" may be one of these.

Dominican's also drop the last letter of some words in pronunciation, so Matos could be Mato.

lhsgolf19 02-20-2018 03:09 PM

Just a heads up if anyone is bored looks like we will be able to watch Jhery's game tonight at 5:00
https://team1sports.com/monroecollege/

lhsgolf19 02-20-2018 05:53 PM

Matos came out on Fire... 19 Points (6-7 FG 4-5 3PT 3-4 FT) 3 Rebounds 2 Steals 1 Block in the first 11 min... Didn't play the rest of the half... MC up 50-18 at the break

lhsgolf19 02-20-2018 07:09 PM

24 points 4 rebounds 3 steals in 18 minutes for the new UD Commit

CvilleFlyer 02-20-2018 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jack72 (Post 538240)
Wish someone could just tell us how Jhery wants his name pronounced. There are slight differences for certain letters in Mexico Spanish, Spain Spanish and Dominican Spanish. There are differences among dialects even in the Dominican Republic. I believe the "jh" may be one of these.

Dominican's also drop the last letter of some words in pronunciation, so Matos could be Mato.

I guess it is yery Matos until he or someone who knows him well tells us different.

Looks like he starts the game with a lot of energy (a la Trey Landers). We can use another player with that ability to motivate himself!

CT Flyer 02-20-2018 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TA111 (Post 538233)
You are correct. It’s pronounced yery- the J is silent.

Like Little Yerry Seinfeld?

jack72 02-20-2018 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lhsgolf19 (Post 538277)
24 points 4 rebounds 3 steals in 18 minutes for the new UD Commit

How did his outside shot look?

Sid Louick 02-20-2018 08:52 PM

It appears to me that Jhery is going to need a crash course in how to play man-to-man defense.

OSU Flyer 02-25-2018 01:41 PM

@MarinoToribioR
9h9 hours ago
More
��#NJCAA ������
⬆#MONROEmustangs 64 (20-10)✴
⬇#ASAcollege 55 (10-12)
��JHERY MATOS ����
(G/6'6"/190Lbs)
��6/Pts
��7/Reb
��2/Ast
��1/Stl
��1/Blk
��1/TO
��2/8TC
��0/2T3
��2/3TL
@JheryRM31 #RDenNJCAA
@Pani216 #ThisIsMyHouse
@vargasbasket @DaytonMBB @coachgreer25

lhsgolf19 02-27-2018 05:28 PM

Matos named the 2018 NJCAA Region XV Division I Player of the Year.

http://monroecollegemustangs.com/new...irst-team.aspx

Congrats Jhery!

Flyer 86 02-27-2018 07:40 PM

24 points 2 games ago.... in 18 minutes. Sure the JUCO opponents probably aren't as good. But pretty sure Jhery can ball!

PLUS we need another NYC guy to replace Scoochie's energy and intelligence and competition.

lhsgolf19 03-04-2018 05:16 PM

Jhery's season is over... Lost 71-65 in his Region Championship game today

Went for 18 points 4 rebounds 6 assists

CvilleFlyer 03-05-2018 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lhsgolf19 (Post 541470)
Jhery's season is over... Lost 71-65 in his Region Championship game today

Went for 18 points 4 rebounds 6 assists

Jhery, a new chapter is about to begin! Again, welcome to the family! You are officially a Dayton Flyer! Anthony Grant said this to his current players just this past week, "Every time we step on the floor we get an opportunity to represent a program that has a lot of pride and tradition, to represent the guys that came before us when we put that uniform on."

For whatever reason the above has not always been true for a select few this past season, especially in true road games! You will only be here for two years but you will get chills every time you step onto the court. You will have a chance to write your own legacy by being a team player and, hopefully, play in the NCAAT.

Flyer 86 03-08-2018 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CvilleFlyer (Post 541520)
Jhery, a new chapter is about to begin! Again, welcome to the family! You are officially a Dayton Flyer! Anthony Grant said this to his current players just this past week, "Every time we step on the floor we get an opportunity to represent a program that has a lot of pride and tradition, to represent the guys that came before us when we put that uniform on."

For whatever reason the above has not always been true for a select few this past season, especially in true road games! You will only be here for two years but you will get chills every time you step onto the court. You will have a chance to write your own legacy by being a team player and, hopefully, play in the NCAAT.

Love this post BTW. I'll to it....

You'll experience what Flyer Nation is all about - at home and away games!
And you can and will likely be a key cog in the Flyer Program. We welcome you Jhery - you're a fine young man! Practice hard this Summer and we'll see you next year~

Go Dayton Flyers! Flyer basketball 2018-19~

OSU Flyer 04-10-2018 12:35 PM

https://twitter.com/DOMINICANPB/stat...32797114183681

Looks like Jhery was the Region XV Juco Player of the Year and the was the MVP of his Monroe team

lhsgolf19 04-10-2018 01:11 PM

Named as a 3rd Team DI NJCAA All American
Posted via Mobile Device

Flyer 86 04-10-2018 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lhsgolf19 (Post 547390)
Posted via Mobile Device

If he can play well and shoot well at Monroe - he is DEFINITELY good.

Issue will be the transition to a high mid major conference. How quickly and well he can make that.

MNFats 04-10-2018 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lhsgolf19 (Post 547390)
Posted via Mobile Device

udscott says this guy can't be any good.

Lifelong Flyer Fan 04-11-2018 05:58 PM

Flyer 86 04-12-2018 12:03 PM

If you look at amount of minutes he played we can deduce a few things .

21 Minutes a game if that's accurate. Wondering if someone can double check that ****

either they were clobbering other teams and he sat 19 minutes a game.

he was in foul trouble often. Or option number 3 I like the most.

Super STUD ! :D

TXFlyerFan 04-12-2018 01:27 PM

fuz_forward 04-12-2018 01:38 PM

Minutes per game are not accurate on his stats page. Look at the Hagerstown Community College game. Wow! 24 pts in 1 minute played.

oldfan 04-12-2018 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyer 86 (Post 547709)
If you look at amount of minutes he played we can deduce a few things .

21 Minutes a game if that's accurate. Wondering if someone can double check that ****

either they were clobbering other teams and he sat 19 minutes a game.

he was in foul trouble often. Or option number 3 I like the most.

Super STUD ! :D

Based on the statistics you might make another deduction. In the games where he is credited with 1 minute of playing time he was a real ball hog. In one game he went 4 for 14 in that one minute.

CT Flyer 04-12-2018 01:42 PM

I'm guessing some JC's don't spend the money on a stat program or don't utilize them fully and those games go down as 1 minute of playing time for anyone who stepped on the court.

CE80 04-12-2018 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldfan (Post 547733)
Based on the statistics you might make another deduction. In the games where he is credited with 1 minute of playing time he was a real ball hog. In one game he went 4 for 14 in that one minute.

Russell Westbrook has met his match.

Flyer 86 04-13-2018 12:24 PM

Was wondering what the hell was going on. This guy would be even with WEstbrook and others according to these numbers

Have to wonder if Rebounding numbers are legit.

On another note, I"m going to guess he ends up being BETTER than Vee Sanford and not as good as Jordan Sibert.

My hope is he creates havoc with steals and defense and averages 7 points to 12 a game, boards some and plays team ball.

San Diego Flyer 04-15-2018 12:41 PM

DD's strengths were that he could ball hawk and rebound, shoot the 3 and ft's. Jhery appears to have the same length and quickness to help offset some of the loss of those stats. With Jordan, Jaylen, & Trey we averaged 3 steals/game. Jhery could contribute to that as well.

I like how Anthony went for a versatile TALL guard. Reading his credentials it is impressive how much experience he has had with different programs. He could really be a sleeper.

rollo 06-25-2018 07:38 AM

You're going to love this kid

I reffed the UD 'Team Camp' this weekend and Jhery Matos was the scorekeeper on my court and I predict that he will be a fan favorite before he graduates.

Between games, at halftime or timeouts he'd come out and shoot and I rebounded for him. Without any introductions, he just started talking about his shot and how the coaching staff was working on his footing...after missing a FT (short), I joked that he also needed to 'work on your arc' and he just game me a sarcastic stare and then swished the next one.

For obvious reasons, Landers will be my favorite for the next 2 seasons, but Matos will be right behind.

longtimefan67 07-30-2018 04:45 PM

Apologize if this has been linked before: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQy9yl6GJJQ

Flyer 86 07-31-2018 11:21 AM

If he was listed as 6 foot 6 inches and 190 lbs. at Monroe JC , what weight with UD's weight program do you think he'll list as at the start of the season.

If he can get to 202 to 205 that would give him more strength to withstand the banging and inside game. Also with getting to the rim.