UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
UDPride Discussion Forums

UDPride Discussion Forums (http://www.udpride.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mens Basketball (http://www.udpride.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What's the story on Cooke? (http://www.udpride.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30191)

The Fly 12-31-2016 10:43 AM

What's the story on Cooke?

So the DDN says Charles might " miss some time," but nothing official. Anyone hear anything else? He looked to be in some serious pain when he left the floor. Seemed more hip/back than wrist.

C-time 12-31-2016 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Fly (Post 476865)
So the DDN says Charles might " miss some time," but nothing official. Anyone hear anything else? He looked to be in some serious pain when he left the floor. Seemed more hip/back than wrist.

As with all Dayton player injuries Cooke will be "day to day", "we hope he can play", or "it will be a game time decision" until you actually see him on the court again.

In my opinion getting a diagnosis for Cooke by the postgame press conference would have been really quick so Archie just gave the vague he might miss some time quote which was really the best thing to say. They probably will know more today when they see how sore Charles is from that hard fall, but there is no way Archie is telling anybody. Just have to be patient and find out about an hour before the Bonaventure game.

CE80 12-31-2016 11:38 AM

Down on DD? Think about a line-up without him and CC.

Piqua Flyer '66 12-31-2016 12:13 PM

Anyone find it unusual that on the fall that we are talking about (CC had to leave the game) NO ONE from the bench, AM or trainer, went out to assist him immediately.....seemed rather awkward to me.

ClaytonFlyerFan 12-31-2016 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piqua Flyer '66 (Post 476892)
Anyone find it unusual that on the fall that we are talking about (CC had to leave the game) NO ONE from the bench, AM or trainer, went out to assist him immediately.....seemed rather awkward to me.

Read the game thread when you get time Piqua, this was discussed and explained in there.

NYCFLYER 12-31-2016 12:23 PM

He was also holding his wrist before he clanked those 2 free throws. I'm as worried about the wrist as I am about the latest injury.

ClaytonFlyerFan 12-31-2016 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYCFLYER (Post 476898)
He was also holding his wrist before he clanked those 2 free throws. I'm as worried about the wrist as I am about the latest injury.

Agree. I noticed very early in the game when Charles tried to shoot a 3, he instantly grabbed his wrist after the shot and was holding it for most of the next possession or two. I do not remember seeing him take another jump shot the rest of the game, but he must have had one more according to the box score and missing two 3 pointers.

Tony T 71 12-31-2016 01:02 PM

Quote:

The refs wouldn't let the trainer come out. They had their hands held up to not come out, which was ridiculous.

shocka43 12-31-2016 01:04 PM

Quote:

Ref thought he was going to get up from hard contact...he didn't and trainers responded. Don't want to sub out one of your better FT shooters unless you don't have to.

rollo 12-31-2016 01:06 PM

Quote:

This is what I said in another post...

Quote:

Originally Posted by rollo (Post 476815)
If a player goes down and the coach steps one foot on the court to check on him, the player has to come out of the game whether he's injured or not. By holding back the UD 'bench/coach' the ref is saying the player may not need help and, therefore, can stay in the game.

I reffed a game today and this very situation occurred in a close game. Kid goes down and appears to be hurt (but wasn't...just stunned). Coach runs out and sees he's OK and walks back to the bench. I tell the coach the player has to come out...coach looks at me like I'm nuts, turns and looks at the other coach who is 3' on the court and says 'then he needs to sub someone too!' so I need to explain to him that the other coach is coaching, not checking on a potentially injured player. He honestly had no idea that coming onto the court forces me to make him sub. UGH! I hate stupid.

rollo 12-31-2016 01:19 PM

and another thing...

3 seconds...

Had some idiot dad in the front row today giving me the business about calling 3 seconds on the other team. Scenario: Opponent shoots and misses....gets offensive rebound, pump fakes, shoots and misses...gets another offensive rebound, shoots and misses...repeat, repeat...ball knocked out of bounds on sideline right in front of loudmouth dad who continues to yell at me about calling 3 seconds and how one player was in the lane for 15 seconds. UGH!

Quietly, but loud enough for everyone around him to hear, I look him in the eye and say '3 seconds stops when the shot begins and a player can spend 20 seconds in the lane if they keep getting rebounds. Read the rulebook and you'd know this.' He broke eye contact with me, turned his head the other direction and started talking to him mom (or his really ugly wife, I'm not sure). Never heard another word from him the rest of the game.

I really hate stupid. :angryfire:

jack72 12-31-2016 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rollo (Post 476917)
3 seconds...

Had some idiot dad in the front row today giving me the business about calling 3 seconds on the other team. Scenario: Opponent shoots and misses....gets offensive rebound, pump fakes, shoots and misses...gets another offensive rebound, shoots and misses...repeat, repeat...ball knocked out of bounds on sideline right in front of loudmouth dad who continues to yell at me about calling 3 seconds and how one player was in the lane for 15 seconds. UGH!

Quietly, but loud enough for everyone around him to hear, I look him in the eye and say '3 seconds stops when the shot begins and a player can spend 20 seconds in the lane if they keep getting rebounds. Read the rulebook and you'd know this.' He broke eye contact with me, turned his head the other direction and started talking to him mom (or his really ugly wife, I'm not sure). Never heard another word from him the rest of the game.

I really hate stupid. :angryfire:

Amen, not a lot more irritating than fans with the 3 second yell when there are shots and rebounds taking place.

ClaytonFlyerFan 12-31-2016 04:15 PM

On the subject of Cookes injury, as Cooke was laying on the floor in pain, who was the jackwagon that yelled this is on you at the referee? Even worse, fans applauded. This ain't the Cintas Center people, show some class.

BRob2Perryman3 12-31-2016 04:22 PM

Cintas Center is just code for Outhouse

TommyGola 12-31-2016 11:17 PM

Quote:

I commented on that during the game thread, Piqua Flyer. I thought it was a major remission of responsibility on the part of the training staff. I hope I never see that kind of incompetence again on the part of any Flyer associate.

ud69 12-31-2016 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TommyGola (Post 476990)
I commented on that during the game thread, Piqua Flyer. I thought it was a major remission of responsibility on the part of the training staff. I hope I never see that kind of incompetence again on the part of any Flyer associate.

Please- They were being detained by the refs. See previous posts. Can't just run on the floor. Must be signaled by the refs.

TommyGola 01-01-2017 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ud69 (Post 476993)
Please- They were being detained by the refs. See previous posts. Can't just run on the floor. Must be signaled by the refs.

OK, thanks for the clarification. Then, what in the world were the refs thinking?

San Diego Flyer 01-01-2017 09:26 AM

They were not thinking the whole game. Why would they start then?

UD62 01-01-2017 09:49 AM

Quote:

Coach can run on the floor, but if he does the down player has to come out of the game. At least that's how I see Sir Rollo's explanation

ud69 01-01-2017 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UD62 (Post 477000)
Coach can run on the floor, but if he does the down player has to come out of the game. At least that's how I see Sir Rollo's explanation

From official NCAA rule book - page 97.
http://www.ncaapublications.com/prod...loads/BR17.pdf

Art. 2.
A technical foul shall be assessed to a coach and all bench personnel
for the following infractions:
a�
Entering the playing court to attend an injured player unless done with
permission of an official�

Smitty10 01-01-2017 10:53 AM

Can someone tell me why Pollard shot his FTs? Was that our choice? I know he made them both, but seems like an odd choice.

ud69 01-01-2017 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitty10 (Post 477003)
Can someone tell me why Pollard shot his FTs? Was that our choice? I know he made them both, but seems like an odd choice.

same rule book - page 42

When an injured player is unable to attempt his free throw try(s), the coach from the opposing team shall select one of the four remaining
players on the playing court to attempt the free throw try(s)� When
the foul is flagrant and the injured player is unable to attempt the free
throw try(s), the injured player’s coach shall select any player or team
member to attempt the free throw try(s)�

jack72 01-01-2017 11:15 AM

Great decision by Archie. He was sending Pollard a message, that you are a good free throw shooter. Great coaching move.

longtimefan67 01-01-2017 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jack72 (Post 477009)
Great decision by Archie. He was sending Pollard a message, that you are a good free throw shooter. Great coaching move.

I wish that were the case; but I think the opposing coach actually made the decision to send KP to the line. Re-read that rule again. No flagrant foul was called by the refs; therefore the opposing coach got to make the decision who to send to the line. Had a flagrant foul been called, AM could have sent any of the 4 he had on the floor to the line; likely Scooch.

longtimefan67 01-01-2017 11:46 AM

Quote:

I didn't know the rule either, so naturally I was wondering like everyone else who watched CC lying in excruciating pain, where are the trainers? Now I understand...not only were the refs blind, but deaf also...

Smitty10 01-01-2017 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ud69 (Post 477004)
same rule book - page 42

When an injured player is unable to attempt his free throw try(s), the coach from the opposing team shall select one of the four remaining
players on the playing court to attempt the free throw try(s)� When
the foul is flagrant and the injured player is unable to attempt the free
throw try(s), the injured player’s coach shall select any player or team
member to attempt the free throw try(s)�

Well that explains it. And I'm guessing that Pollard has a very high FT percentage shooting someone else's FTs.

UDDoug 01-01-2017 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longtimefan67 (Post 477012)
I didn't know the rule either, so naturally I was wondering like everyone else who watched CC lying in excruciating pain, where are the trainers? Now I understand...not only were the refs blind, but deaf also...

No, they were not. See previous explanations. Once they call the coaches and trainers out, the player must leave the game. Cooke fell hard, and clearly on his hip, back or arse. It wasn't a medical emergency situation. So they rightfully give Cooke every opportunity to get past the initial shock from the impact and determine if he needs medical attention and can continue.

If the reverse had happened and they call trainers out immediately and Cooke was fine afte 30 seconds, the Pollard misses two LaSalle scores and UD turns it over before Archie could get Cooke back in, Archie would be rightfully livid.

We fans are blind by not knowing the rules. Not the refs (now if we want to discuss the inconsistency in how the first half and second half were officiated, I would agree).

Flyer Al 01-01-2017 04:11 PM

I was three rows under the basket on that end and I also thought it was strange but I watched Archie and he was looking right at one of the refs and was asking for permission to enter the court. Even the trainer waited a beat or two before running out after displaying similar body language. As soon as they each were granted permission they went to Charles.

Piqua Flyer '66 01-01-2017 04:58 PM

If my 19.2/game player goes down as hard as CC did I'm on the floor.
PERIOD.
Worry about taking him out later.
If he has to go out because I went on the floor, and he is OK,
I put him back in right away, the next dead ball.
I'm not getting on AM, just saying what I would do.

GO FLYERS!

longtimefan67 01-02-2017 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UDDoug (Post 477026)
No, they were not. See previous explanations. Once they call the coaches and trainers out, the player must leave the game. Cooke fell hard, and clearly on his hip, back or arse. It wasn't a medical emergency situation. So they rightfully give Cooke every opportunity to get past the initial shock from the impact and determine if he needs medical attention and can continue.

If the reverse had happened and they call trainers out immediately and Cooke was fine afte 30 seconds, the Pollard misses two LaSalle scores and UD turns it over before Archie could get Cooke back in, Archie would be rightfully livid.

We fans are blind by not knowing the rules. Not the refs (now if we want to discuss the inconsistency in how the first half and second half were officiated, I would agree).

Those refs were awful.(.) My comment was tongue in cheek. But really, at what point (read "how long") must a player scream in agony before a referee feels it's serious? What a ridiculous rule...

BRob2Perryman3 01-02-2017 10:43 AM

Anybody heard anything on Darrell or Charles status?

T-Bone 84 01-02-2017 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longtimefan67 (Post 477012)

Speaking of deaf refs (and notwithstanding any of the explanations for why the sequence of events was as it was on Friday), during a particularly quiet moment following Charles's fall, someone in the stands at the south end of the court (by the Flyers' tunnel) yelled something like "Ref, this is all your fault!", and a number of fans at that end gave a brief round of applause to that comment. First time in my nearly 50 years of following UD basketball that I can remember hearing a reaction like that. 13,000 people booing/heckling, yes. One solitary comment followed by a smattering of crowd approval, no. Almost surreal.
Posted via Mobile Device

UDDoug 01-02-2017 11:50 AM

For Cunningham it was close to instantly that entry to the court was permitted. Same for the Louisville guy that broke his leg a few years back. Same for players that come down an hit their head or neck on the court.

Refs are going to give the player time when they land like Cooke. And they should.

Cooke was clearly hurting and in pain. But he also did not have a serious injury and was not motionless. I thought the refs did the right thing. That is not to say they officiated the game well.

Entering the court can also result in a technical.
Posted via Mobile Device

UDDoug 01-02-2017 11:59 AM

How was it the ref's fault? Understand the reaction, and agree it was odd, but it doesn't make sense. If there was fault it's more the UD players for shooting free throws and threes so poorly that the score was closer than it should have been, necessitating a hard drive to the basket.

The only thing the refs could have done was instantly wave out coaches and trainers. Which would have changed - nothing.
Posted via Mobile Device

rollo 01-02-2017 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T-Bone 84 (Post 477144)
...someone in the stands at the south end of the court (by the Flyers' tunnel) yelled something like "Ref, this is all your fault!", and a number of fans at that end gave a brief round of applause to that comment.

Based on my experiences as a ref and a south end season ticket holder, I bet it was a group of CYO parents who know less about basketball than any other demographic.

Radar 01-02-2017 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRob2Perryman3 (Post 477128)
Anybody heard anything on Darrell or Charles status?

Not sure if this helps...but when having breakfast out this morning the entire team was there, I'm assuming unofficial pre-flight meal. No coaches, just the players who were in 3-4 vehicles. All were there and appeared upright and healthy, with the exception of Josh of course, who still had a slight limp. It was interesting that the last 3 to leave were CC, JC, and DD.

Piqua Flyer '66 01-02-2017 03:40 PM

Hope CC got
the plane!

UD62 01-02-2017 04:26 PM

No Vegas line yet on the game. CC a ?

lhsgolf19 01-02-2017 04:27 PM

Jon Rothstein Verified account
‏@JonRothstein

Dayton's Charles Cooke (back) will travel to St. Bonaventure and is a game-time decision for Tuesday's game, per a school spokesman.

C-time 01-02-2017 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C-time (Post 476872)
As with all Dayton player injuries Cooke will be "day to day", "we hope he can play", or "it will be a game time decision" until you actually see him on the court again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lhsgolf19 (Post 477172)
‏@JonRothstein

Dayton's Charles Cooke (back) will travel to St. Bonaventure and is a game-time decision for Tuesday's game, per a school spokesman.

So "game time decision" it is!!!!!!!!!!!!

See how easy it is to predict UD injury reports!!!!!!!!!!!

ruechalgrin 01-02-2017 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rollo (Post 477148)
Based on my experiences as a ref and a south end season ticket holder, I bet it was a group of CYO parents who know less about basketball than any other demographic.

I heard the comments and took it as a joke as most of the people clapping were laughing as well. I thought it was funny as it was clearly not the refs fault, just unlucky.

ClaytonFlyerFan 01-02-2017 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruechalgrin (Post 477175)
I heard the comments and took it as a joke as most of the people clapping were laughing as well. I thought it was funny as it was clearly not the refs fault, just unlucky.

I commented on it earlier in this thread as I too heard it loud and clear. I can joke and clown around with the best of them, and often have made jokes that others did not think was as funny as I thought they were. However, given the timing of this so called joke and the way it sounded, I think whoever said it was being a real @$$ and I think it was way out of line, joke or not.

Glen Clark 01-02-2017 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lhsgolf19 (Post 477172)
‏@JonRothstein

According to BR, Charles Cooke & Darrell Davis are both game time decisions at St Bonaventure

CoffeeCan 01-02-2017 07:37 PM

Looks like it is a Pick Em. Wonder if that is factoring in CC or not?

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-...7/time/2000#BT

Piqua Flyer '66 01-02-2017 09:01 PM

IMHO CC will play.
Why would you fly/bus
an injured player to
Oleon??
Go Flyers!

longtimefan 01-02-2017 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piqua Flyer '66 (Post 477206)
IMHO CC will play.
Why would you fly/bus
an injured player to
Oleon??
Go Flyers!

The Bengals took AJ all the way to Texas and then decided not to play him, so he got permission to go back home. Of course, that's the Bengals.

maddog07 01-03-2017 09:01 AM

My paper had the game as --OFF this morning.

If CC can't play or is not himself we will get killed. He's perhaps our best defender, and leading rebounder and scorer. Can't see us overcoming that.

hawkoooo 01-03-2017 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maddog07 (Post 477237)

If CC can't play or is not himself we will get killed. He's perhaps our best defender, and leading rebounder and scorer. Can't see us overcoming that.

I don't know if players read this board or not, but if they do I hope they print stuff like this off and stare at it on the flight and in the locker room before tip.

Radar 01-03-2017 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawkoooo (Post 477241)
I don't know if players read this board or not, but if they do I hope they print stuff like this off and stare at it on the flight and in the locker room before tip.

I'm sure they LMAO first...there isn't a kid in Archie's program who doesn't think they can win each and every game, regardless of who is in uniform. That was validated 2 seasons ago.

maddog07 01-03-2017 01:35 PM

Would seem better served to practice

Quote:

ft shooting and the like .

m21eagle45 01-03-2017 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piqua Flyer '66 (Post 477206)
IMHO CC will play.
Why would you fly/bus
an injured player to
Oleon??
Go Flyers!

Injured players often travel with their team. I don't have any inside info, but I would not expect him to play just because he traveled.

CE80 01-03-2017 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyerfan4life (Post 477319)
I am very confident both players will be active tonight.

got ya ;)

NJFlyr71 01-03-2017 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyerfan4life (Post 477319)

That didn't work out so well for dum and dumber :eek:

shocka43 01-03-2017 04:07 PM

Quote:

They do...and I know of at least one that has printed off quotes from certain posters as motivation...

Cityengr 01-03-2017 04:46 PM

UD. 74
StB. 64

Radar 01-03-2017 06:59 PM

Cooke out. DD in.

Swampy Meadows 01-03-2017 07:04 PM

David Jablonski tweeted the above
Posted via Mobile Device

Chris R 01-03-2017 07:14 PM

If Archie coaches us to a win tonight, its one of his best bench jobs to date. We are missing too many horses.

longtimefan 01-03-2017 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris R (Post 477370)
If Archie coaches us to a win tonight, its one of his best bench jobs to date. We are missing too many horses.

DD better be hot.

Alberto Strasse 01-03-2017 07:33 PM

The Dayton Unreliables

Hard to say who can play from game to game with this team. Fans show up at UD Arena and find a player on the bench unable to play. It is difficult to remain competitive with this much injury. There is little communication coming from the program to prepare the Faithful for the absences.

shocka43 01-03-2017 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alberto Strasse (Post 477377)
There is little communication coming from the program to prepare the Faithful for the absences.

Good strategy....more players a possible "go" for the game...the more possible players the opponent has to prepare for.

CE80 01-03-2017 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shocka43 (Post 477378)
Good strategy....more players a possible "go" for the game...the more possible players the opponent has to prepare for.

Agreed. Not too hard for the fans to figure out who to cheer for.
Posted via Mobile Device

Smitty10 01-03-2017 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maddog07 (Post 477237)

:D

We know you have a crush on CC, but you do realize that the other 3 seniors were pretty darn successful before your guy showed up. 90 points scored on the road and one of two best game played this season, both without CC.

CE80 01-03-2017 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by flyerfan4life View Post

Deleted that post FF4life. I hope you are still using you are still in your free trial period. :)

flyerfan4life 01-03-2017 11:04 PM

Deleted because Matt schwade complained about it. He reported earlier that both will play. No more sharing info from there. I understand where he is coming from.

C-time 01-03-2017 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyerfan4life (Post 477582)
Deleted because Matt schwade complained about it. He reported earlier that both will play. No more sharing info from there. I understand where he is coming from.

Like I said you need different usernames and nobody would know.

TerryK_67 01-03-2017 11:21 PM

you know, I have never understood this need for being the first one to report "something"..... Just what is the big deal about it? It looks pretty childish to me.

flyerfan4life 01-03-2017 11:26 PM

I dont have the same username. And its not about being the first to report it. That is a pay site, this is not...He doesnt want to diminish the value of his site.

C-time 01-03-2017 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyerfan4life (Post 477593)
I dont have the same username. And its not about being the first to report it. That is a pay site, this is not...He doesnt want to diminish the value of his site.

Schwade getting his "scoop" about them playing tonight wrong diminishes the value of his site all by itself.

flyerfan4life 01-03-2017 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C-time (Post 477596)
Schwade getting his "scoop" about them playing tonight wrong diminishes the value of his site all by itself.

Fair enough. Move on please.

UD90 01-04-2017 07:26 AM

As mentioned above Cooke is a great player, but the bench shines when he's not on the floor. We share the ball so much better. I wrote it off on the St. Joes (Indiana) game to inferior competition, but 90 on the Bonnies in Olean? I love having Cooke on our team and think he has a shot at A10 POY, but maybe he watches this game film and learns from watching when to make an extra pass.

shapanud 01-04-2017 09:08 AM

Doesn't sound like Archie plans on having Cooke for URI.

From today's DDN:

“I don’t think he’s close to playing,” Miller said. “He’s not 100 percent, and if he’s not 100 percent, we’re not forcing the action. We’ll go into the next game prepared to play without him. He’s got a couple things going on with his tailbone after the fall he took, and his wrist continues to bother him.”

San Diego Flyer 01-04-2017 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyerfan4life (Post 477598)
Fair enough. Move on please.

So now can we assume Harry Froling is going to visit UD soon?

flyerfan4life 01-04-2017 09:55 AM

I'm hopeful he was wrong about that too.

UDBrian 01-04-2017 09:56 AM

I guess we will. Know tomorrow

CE80 01-04-2017 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shapanud (Post 477624)
Doesn't sound like Archie plans on having Cooke for URI.

From today's DDN:

“I don’t think he’s close to playing,” Miller said. “He’s not 100 percent, and if he’s not 100 percent, we’re not forcing the action. We’ll go into the next game prepared to play without him. He’s got a couple things going on with his tailbone after the fall he took, and his wrist continues to bother him.”

I don't take much away form this comment. If Cooke's back/wrist was that bad, why was he a game time decision last night? If his back was that bad, he shouldn't have gotten on the airplane. That said, he may still not play. Archie is just being Archie.

66flyer 01-04-2017 10:25 AM

AS DD (I think it was) said after the game, Archie drills into them the "next man up" mentality. They've been through much worse lack of players and thrived, even though it was terrifying every game 2 yrs ago. I was so proud of them for stepping up and making it seem like they can cope with any scenario. Hope they can keep it up. I don't think CC s coming back anytime soon. The SBU game has got to give them confidence and trust that they can keep up the scoring on their own till CC comes back and afterward.
I loved John Crosby's "circus" shot late in the game. Kyle and Scoochie do it all the time and the non-local announcers are always amazed, but we are used to it. JC's huge grin and the bench erupting said it all. :D

UDDoug 01-04-2017 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UD90 (Post 477605)
As mentioned above Cooke is a great player, but the bench shines when he's not on the floor. We share the ball so much better. I wrote it off on the St. Joes (Indiana) game to inferior competition, but 90 on the Bonnies in Olean? I love having Cooke on our team and think he has a shot at A10 POY, but maybe he watches this game film and learns from watching when to make an extra pass.

But Cooke and Scoochie are about the only ones who can create a shot. And Scoochie's ability to do so is lessened if the defense plays off a little as he can either take a three or get all the way to the rim.

Ball movement is different without Cooke because it has to be. Archie wants Cooke to look to score when he has the ball. The ball won't move as quickly if Cooke looks to see if he can get it the rim.

And against teams that actually play defense (unlike the Bonnies, Explorers and VMI) the ability to create when ball reversal gets shut off matters.

San Diego Flyer 01-04-2017 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CE80 (Post 477651)
I don't take much away form this comment. If Cooke's back/wrist was that bad, why was he a game time decision last night? If his back was that bad, he shouldn't have gotten on the airplane. That said, he may still not play. Archie is just being Archie.

Smart business just to keep the opponent guessing and affecting their preparation.

C-time 01-04-2017 10:47 AM

I'm going to save everyone a lot of worrying and guessing about whether Cooke will play against Rhody by reminding you of the 2nd post in this thread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by C-time (Post 476872)

Just have to be patient and find out about an hour before the Bonaventure game.

Just wait until Friday night and you will find out because Archie isn't going to tell anybody anything definitively until then.

La Salle fan 01-06-2017 09:35 AM

In light of the discussion about the trainer leaving the bench to attend to an obviously injured player, Cleon Roberts took a hard tumble under the basket in front of the La Salle bench in the last game versus SLU. Cleon was down for about 5 seconds it seemed before the trainer went to attend to him. I did not see the ref wave her over. Not saying he didn't say something to her but I don't think he did.

DallasFlyer 01-06-2017 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UDDoug (Post 477660)
But Cooke and Scoochie are about the only ones who can create a shot. And Scoochie's ability to do so is lessened if the defense plays off a little as he can either take a three or get all the way to the rim.

Not really his role typically - except in transition - but Pollard can manufacture. With the shot clock winding down, he can get it to the rim off the bounce. And he's probably getting the and 1. Or committing an offensive foul. One or the other.

It's going to be important for Crosby, Mikesell and Xeyrius to develop this obviously as our shot manufacturers are seniors. As noted above, Crosby can make the circus shot. He's got some Kevin Dillard him in. Xeyrius seems like a guy who just wants to shoot over people - rather than go downhill. Would like to see him drive it a bit more. Mikesell seems to be the furthest along though in this regard. He's our 4th best downhill option right now. I think he's capable now, and his confidence seems to be growing... adding strength to ake sure he can finish will be key.

Radar 01-06-2017 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DallasFlyer (Post 477997)
Not really his role typically - except in transition - but Pollard can manufacture. With the shot clock winding down, he can get it to the rim off the bounce. And he's probably getting the and 1. Or committing an offensive foul. One or the other.

It's going to be important for Crosby, Mikesell and Xeyrius to develop this obviously as our shot manufacturers are seniors. As noted above, Crosby can make the circus shot. He's got some Kevin Dillard him in. Xeyrius seems like a guy who just wants to shoot over people - rather than go downhill. Would like to see him drive it a bit more. Mikesell seems to be the furthest along though in this regard. He's our 4th best downhill option right now. I think he's capable now, and his confidence seems to be growing... adding strength to ake sure he can finish will be key.

Off the bounce?
Go downhill?
You sure you're not Seth Greenberg???

San Diego Flyer 01-06-2017 10:23 AM

John Crosby can get to the rim almost anytime he puts his mind to it, but it gets real exciting when he gets there. We have had a bunch of players go through a period where finishing the drive was elusive. They can and do get better.

Josh Parker was a shipwreck trying to finish. Scoochie as a Frosh was lacking in that skill. Whereas shooting is tough to improve, finishing is not as difficult with coaching and patience.
Kyle has more ways to finish than I have seen. He is strong with the left, but also more than adequate with the right. He uses the rim and his body positioning as his shield. That plus his surprising hops.

Cooke has great athleticism, but he challenges gravity too much. He will take a beating if he makes it to the NBA. What good are you if one out of five drives you are leaving the gym on crutches?

pmcmullen 01-06-2017 10:28 AM

Cooke needs to remember he's surrounded by other players. The ability to create is a great asset. Knowing when to take it and when to share and avoid a forced shot is an even bigger one!

I liked our rythm againt StB. We can play with anyone when we move like that. We're a crap 1-on-1 team. Cooke likes to play 1-on-1. Sometimes he likes to play 1-on-5!

m21eagle45 01-06-2017 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer (Post 478008)
John Crosby can get to the rim almost anytime he puts his mind to it, but it gets real exciting when he gets there. We have had a bunch of players go through a period where finishing the drive was elusive. They can and do get better.

Josh Parker was a shipwreck trying to finish. Scoochie as a Frosh was lacking in that skill. Whereas shooting is tough to improve, finishing is not as difficult with coaching and patience.
Kyle has more ways to finish than I have seen. He is strong with the left, but also more than adequate with the right. He uses the rim and his body positioning as his shield. That plus his surprising hops.

Cooke has great athleticism, but he challenges gravity too much. He will take a beating if he makes it to the NBA. What good are you if one out of five drives you are leaving the gym on crutches?

I have to disagree with you here. If you watch the NBA, there is a lot less undercutting and challenging guys once they get to the rim at the NBA level than the college level. He will still take his lumps, but they are much more willing to let a guy finish to avoid injury in the NBA.

flyerfan4life 01-06-2017 10:34 AM

Quote:

I agree with most of this stuff, but I'd challenge you to show me an example of Kyle finishing with his right hand. He rarely even dribbles with his left hand. That being said, though, Kyle is one of my favorite Flyers of all time. He oozes toughness and grit!

Bill202 01-06-2017 10:35 AM

Quote:

Kyle may go to the right but he finishes with his left. AM made this point about a month ago on his Monday night show. The next game, I was watching and it was L L L R! L. I think he stuck a R in there to needle AM as I haven't seen one since.

DallasFlyer 01-06-2017 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radar (Post 478006)
Off the bounce?
Go downhill?
You sure you're not Seth Greenberg???

Would you prefer Bill Raftery? Cause I can go ONIONS on you all at any time. Prose with a little kiss.

jack72 01-06-2017 10:43 AM

Pollard creates the best with the clock winding down. He stands beyond the three point line and no one covers him. Wonder if that now changes?

Bill202 01-06-2017 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jack72 (Post 478020)
Pollard creates the best with the clock winding down. He stands beyond the three point line and no one covers him. Wonder if that now changes?

Not in the first half. Only changes in the 2nd half if he makes some 3's.

steve 01-06-2017 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DallasFlyer (Post 477997)

I would assume you mean down in the blocks? Yes, he can create a pretty good move and shot down low with a quick spin baseline or into the lane. Pollard usually ends up being a bull in a china shop when facing the basket from the perimeter whether the shot clock is dwindling or not.

steve 01-06-2017 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyerfan4life (Post 478014)
I agree with most of this stuff, but I'd challenge you to show me an example of Kyle finishing with his right hand. He rarely even dribbles with his left hand. That being said, though, Kyle is one of my favorite Flyers of all time. He oozes toughness and grit!

I agree but I assume you mean he rarely dribbles with his right hand being that he is left-handed....The thing about him is even when he's on the right side in the half-court or on the break he usually is able to still get to his spot which would be finishing with his left...He's got a blend of skills far more from a physicality standpoint than BB skills as his hops, strength, athletic ability, and especially that bulldog in him is freakish..

BRob2Perryman3 01-06-2017 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DallasFlyer (Post 478019)
Would you prefer Bill Raftery? Cause I can go ONIONS on you all at any time. Prose with a little kiss.

Onions might be my favorite call in sports. Ive always liked Raftery.

"3 seconds to go...he gets the pass on the right wing,organizes the puppies aaaaaaaaannnnnnnndddddddd.....ONIONS!!!!!"

hessbz12 01-06-2017 03:38 PM

So one of the guys doing the game tonight on ESPN2 (I didn't recognize him at all), Tweeted a pic of the Flyers running through things this afternoon and Charles is in shorts and a long sleeve tee. He wasn't on the court at the time of the pic, but was in practice clothes, but we likely won't know anything until the next couple hours.

By the way, the other guy doing the game on ESPN2 is Jason Capel, North Carolina alum.

Browns 01-06-2017 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hessbz12 (Post 478079)
So one of the guys doing the game tonight on ESPN2 (I didn't recognize him at all), Tweeted a pic of the Flyers running through things this afternoon and Charles is in shorts and a long sleeve tee. He wasn't on the court at the time of the pic, but was in practice clothes, but we likely won't know anything until the next couple hours.

By the way, the other guy doing the game on ESPN2 is Jason Capel, North Carolina alum.

He's not wearing a practice jersey in the picture, no clue if that means anything but it looks like about everyone else has one on.

San Diego Flyer 01-06-2017 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyerfan4life (Post 478014)

I know I have seen a few righties out of Kyle, but sometimes he will go under and finish on the right side with the left hand--I'll give you that.

NB: eagle45, you must have watched too many all-star games. The NBA is unkind to drivers and there are no gentlemen's agreements. I'm watching a lot of a bad Mavs team and Andrew Bogut and Justin Anderson take no prisoners. Tyson Chandler is another enforcer.
Besides that CC hurt himself without much help, unlike Josh's Alabama shipwreck. If you want to do that in the NBA, they will make it real easy for you. No one wants to be punked by an out-of-control flying driver.

Lifelong Flyer Fan 01-06-2017 05:42 PM

David Jablonski ‏@DavidPJablonski 2m2 minutes ago

Charles Cooke will not play tonight for @DaytonMBB vs. Rhode Island. He'll miss second straight game with back/wrist injuries.

San Diego Flyer 01-07-2017 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve (Post 478029)
I agree but I assume you mean he rarely dribbles with his right hand being that he is left-handed....The thing about him is even when he's on the right side in the half-court or on the break he usually is able to still get to his spot which would be finishing with his left...He's got a blend of skills far more from a physicality standpoint than BB skills as his hops, strength, athletic ability, and especially that bulldog in him is freakish..

Opening 5 minutes last night Kyle went up with the right hand on a reverse layup. :)

CE80 01-07-2017 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer (Post 478396)
Opening 5 minutes last night Kyle went up with the right hand on a reverse layup. :)

Further proof that the players read UDPride. :)