UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
UDPride Discussion Forums

UDPride Discussion Forums (http://www.udpride.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mens Basketball (http://www.udpride.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Chris Johnson NBA call up???? (http://www.udpride.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30321)

Widget 01-21-2017 08:58 PM

Chris Johnson NBA call up????

By stroke of luck I saw Chris Johnson's Rio Grande team on cable today. Solid stat line: 21 points, 13 rebounds (6 O-rebounds), 4 assists.

I can't fully articulate why, but CJ was my favorite Flyer. Just had a positive attitude and work ethic. A great representative of UD. I hope he gets back in the league.

Go flyers
Posted via Mobile Device

C-time 01-21-2017 09:01 PM

It might happen but at some point I think a guy like CJ needs to chase the money and head to Europe. Plus I think its much more enjoyable for a person to actually play than sitting as the last guy on the bench in the NBA.

San Diego Flyer 01-21-2017 09:35 PM

CJ has defined himself as the perfect "tweener". A talented but undersized NBA player, and a force with most clubs in the NBADL. Roberts has been able to break through that barrier, with a combination of specialty skill and the right fit. He's a dependable NBA backup guard.
If I were CJ, I would not give up yet on an NBA career.

C-time 01-21-2017 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer (Post 481074)
CJ has defined himself as the perfect "tweener". A talented but undersized NBA player, and a force with most clubs in the NBADL. Roberts has been able to break through that barrier, with a combination of specialty skill and the right fit. He's a dependable NBA backup guard.
If I were CJ, I would not give up yet on an NBA career.

If you're going to compare CJ to BRob you need to acknowledge that BRob got his opportunity in the NBA because he went to Europe and proved himself. There is nothing wrong with wanting to play in the NBA but at some point a player needs to understand that they can make more money by actually playing on an overseas team. The max D-league salary is 26K a year unless you have some sort of guaranteed deal with an NBA team. I believe Chris Wright has one of those deals with the Thunder this year.

Swampy Meadows 01-21-2017 10:15 PM

Tommy Heinsohn the former Celtics coach and current TV analyst absolutely loved CJ during his time with the Green. Heinshn gives out "Tommy points" for hustle plays and CJ got more than a few.

C-time 01-21-2017 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swampy Meadows (Post 481077)
Tommy Heinsohn the former Celtics coach and current TV analyst absolutely loved CJ during his time with the Green. Heinshn gives out "Tommy points" for hustle plays and CJ got more than a few.

That's a nice feel good comment, but it doesn't mean CJ will get an NBA contract. A professional basketball player should strive to make as much money as possible. The whole "I want to play in the NBA" story is overrated. Go ask Romain Sato how much money he has made in Europe. He won't have to work another day in his life after basketball if he managed his money well.

San Diego Flyer 01-22-2017 09:42 AM

To make your dream come true, it's not always about chasing money. Not every kid wants to put up with the hazards, political hotbeds, and biased foreign coaches just to make more money. The real key to CJ's chosen path so far in the USA, is who his agent is and what kind of respect and connections he has. As yet CJ is not viewed as a journeyman NBADL player, but rather an accomplished player looking for the right NBA fit.

CE80 04-20-2017 02:51 PM

CJ and the Rio Grande Valley Vipers beat the OKC Blue last night to get into the D League finals. CJ with 12 pts. and 12 rebounds. Chris Wright is on the OKC Blue roster but was inactive.

Swampy Meadows 04-20-2017 04:16 PM

Watched part of that game on one of the ESPN Networks and CJ was doing most of his damage inside rather than from the three point line, which would explain all of the boards he snagged. The D-League Finals are going to be televised as well.

CE80 04-20-2017 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swampy Meadows (Post 504591)
Watched part of that game on one of the ESPN Networks and CJ was doing most of his damage inside rather than from the three point line, which would explain all of the boards he snagged. The D-League Finals are going to be televised as well.

The game was on ESPNU. I missed it live but they replayed it immediately after the post game wrap up.

TerryK_67 04-20-2017 06:42 PM

I watched most of the game as the choices for sports programming right now are slim and I knew Chris was on the Rio Grande's team. After all these years he is still the consummate team player... even in a league where most players are trying to showcase their individual skills. In spite of passing when most other guys don't, he leads the team in most statistics... His only problem is he is not selfish enough for the NBA. A real class guy!
I did not realize it at the time, but Chris Wright plays for the Vipers opponent that night Oklahoma City Blue. But he is apparently injured. Did not realize he was with OKC Blue till reading the Chris Wright article per another thread.

shapanud 09-21-2017 10:25 PM

Not many details on the contract, but the Rockets signed CJ to a one-year "partially guaranteed" contract today:

https://clutchpoints.com/rockets-new...teed-contract/

Bucketnight 09-21-2017 10:25 PM