UDPride Discussion Forums    
     

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums

» Log in
User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
UDPride Discussion Forums

UDPride Discussion Forums (http://www.udpride.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mens Basketball (http://www.udpride.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Dayton hires Anthony Grant (http://www.udpride.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30808)

m21eagle45 03-30-2017 11:24 AM

Per Jon Rothstein It's Grant
 
Just announced on Twitter.

Sea Bass 03-30-2017 11:24 AM

Dayton to hire Grant
 
Jon Rothstein‏ @JonRothstein

BREAKING: Dayton will hire Anthony Grant as its next head basketball coach, per a source. Former head coach at both Alabama and VCU.

DallasFlyer 03-30-2017 11:24 AM

Dayton hires Anthony Grant
 
@JonRothstein 25s26 seconds ago
BREAKING: Dayton will hire Anthony Grant as its next head basketball coach, per a source. Former head coach at both Alabama and VCU.

@SIPeteThamel 32s33 seconds ago
Anthony Grant will be the next coach at Dayton.

TheDuke2003 03-30-2017 11:26 AM

Not my first choice, but he's had some good runs. We'll see if he can hang onto this recruiting class. NBA coaching experience won't hurt.

Medford 03-30-2017 11:26 AM

congrats to the once former and now current flyer AG. I've been a fan of this possibility since his days at Florida, time will tell if its the right move at the right time for both sides.

TXFlyerFan 03-30-2017 11:28 AM

It's on the Dayton Flyers website, so not just Twitter

DallasFlyer 03-30-2017 11:28 AM

I tried to delete this since others posted the news as well, but couldn't figure out how to do it, and now it's got replies. Oh well. The wait is over. Grant it is!

lhsgolf19 03-30-2017 11:29 AM

Welcome Back Home!

DallasFlyer 03-30-2017 11:30 AM


CJ2etc 03-30-2017 11:31 AM

I'm cool with Grant. Better than a number of the names that were being bantered about, less upside potential than a few but those few come with much more downside risk.

Guess I'll renew my tickets afterall.

SeasonTicketFan 03-30-2017 11:31 AM

He took the job after Ray Harper turned UD down.

31770 03-30-2017 11:31 AM

Meh...
This is a good get IF he can keep McKinley Wright, but i seriously doubt that will happen...

we will see...

C-time 03-30-2017 11:31 AM

I guess we'll have to wait 3 years for Ray Harper to take Dayton basketball to the next level.

rollo 03-30-2017 11:32 AM

Thumbs up! :D :beermug::beermug:

DallasFlyer 03-30-2017 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 31770 (Post 500857)
Meh...
This is a good get IF he can keep McKinley Wright, but i seriously doubt that will happen...

we will see...

It's a good get if Anthony Grant wins a lot of basketball games at Dayton, particularly NCAA tourney games. He can win those with McKinley Wright or Wilbur and Orville Wright for all I care.

Buster Goode 03-30-2017 11:34 AM

Now the first thing he should do is get Donovan and Russell Westbrook to call these new guys and get them excited to play for him. We desparately need to retain as many recruits as possible.

31770 03-30-2017 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 31770 (Post 500857)
Meh...
This is a good get IF he can keep McKinley Wright, but i seriously doubt that will happen...

we will see...

And keep Kostas Antetokounmpo

lhsgolf19 03-30-2017 11:35 AM


Runnin' Rebel 03-30-2017 11:35 AM

Archie was all-in while he was here (except maybe the last 3 games of 2017)... but AG has been all-in since 1983 - he bleeds red and blue.

Good luck AG... go get those recruits on board now!

31770 03-30-2017 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DallasFlyer (Post 500862)
It's a good get if Anthony Grant wins a lot of basketball games at Dayton, particularly NCAA tourney games. He can win those with McKinley Wright or Wilbur and Orville Wright for all I care.

How many NCAA games do you think Anthony Grant wins next year starting Crosby and probably playing him 40 minuets a night at point...?

We wouldn't even be close to sniffing a bye in the A10 tournament, let alone the NCAA tourney

rollo 03-30-2017 11:37 AM

Sounds like Neil got my voicemail this morning and took my royal advice. :D

Medford 03-30-2017 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 31770 (Post 500857)
Meh...
This is a good get IF he can keep McKinley Wright, but i seriously doubt that will happen...

we will see...

I like Wright's potential, but its just that "potential". He may turn out to be a stud, a dud, or just in between, Archie missed out on many players thru the years, kicked kids of mid season, had an NBA potential center pass away mid season and kept on "keeping on" Hopefully Grant has the same attitude.

FlyerBob 03-30-2017 11:38 AM

I like the choice very much- probably my 2nd choice but all good. I especially like his NBA connections which will serve us well recruiting. I also think Grant can make a good impression with Wright and the other hi-pot recruits who see themselves with a chance of playing in the Association. Good we went with a Flyer.

Well done Dayton AD! Now lets go get those incoming recruits to remain committed!

FlyerGuyer 03-30-2017 11:39 AM

Well-done. I think we can all get on board with this.

T-Bone 84 03-30-2017 11:39 AM

The only thing I might have been happier with is if one of the current assistants had gotten elevated to the position. But in the absence of that happening, this is as close to "continuity" as we could have gotten. Hoping for many successful years in the Grant era, with more years in the NCAA than not, and a Sweet Sixteen appearance at least every 5 years or so, with a chance for better.

But no pressure! ;)

AC91 03-30-2017 11:42 AM

OK. I like it. the biggest concern i have is on recruiting. not just the new guys but in the fact he has been out of college a couple of years and his recruiting base has always been deep in SEC country, not the midwest. His satff I think will be very important for him. If we are elevated as a program, 2-3 year troughs are not something we should expect or accept. I assume he has a busy week already scheduled: call recruits, call coaching candidates, travel to meet one on one with recruits, interview coaching candidates. Congrats, Anthony and welcome home. now get to work! :-)

dnutz77 03-30-2017 11:42 AM

I wanted AG from the moment AM left for IU and I was on Twitter with some of the Flyer media and other fans and mentioned that AG's NBA ties makes him a prime candidate to keep the current recruiting class in tact. Obviously MW is our #1 target and I imagine it will help that AG has been working with Russ (Mr. Triple Double) the last couple of years in OKC.

I know some are disappointed that UD didn't get TC or another up and comer, but I trust that the AD got the best candidate to take UD to the next level. AG will have all the resources and fan support he needs and I think that will help tremendously. Great hire IMO and I am excited to see who AG picks for the staff. Not to mention, I think he'll commit to UD for a long time if he continues to be successful!

GO FLYERS!!

31770 03-30-2017 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runnin' Rebel (Post 500866)
Good luck AG... go get those recruits on board now!

YUP! Agree 100%

Beatty Town Coach 03-30-2017 11:42 AM

Awesome...Great Choice, Great Guy, Great Hire...Welcome Home Coach Grant.

Congratulations to Neil Sullivan and Dr. Spina having the fortitude to make an amazing hiring decision...good for you. You have made me a happy Datyon Flyer Fanatic. I am excited!!!!!

GO ATNTHONY AND GO FLYERS!

OSU Flyer 03-30-2017 11:43 AM

we squandered a major opportunity

ud2 03-30-2017 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C-time (Post 500858)
I guess we'll have to wait 3 years for Ray Harper to take Dayton basketball to the next level.

Yep...really bad move...I have made my feelings very clear on this...good luck to AG...I hope that he has learned some things since he was fired at Alabama...I will try to reserve further criticism until we see what he does on the court.

Feeling very depressed right now. Get ready for some ugly basketball.

Runnin' Rebel 03-30-2017 11:43 AM

"He is absolutely the right coach."

Neil seems very confident in his hire... I like it.

steve snyder 03-30-2017 11:45 AM

A good choice....even with a bit of a shaky time at Alabama...his career head coaching winning percentage is better than Crean's. (637 to 606)...and Crean has head coached for 18 years...Grant just nine. Go get'em Anthony and welcome aboard...again!

Medford 03-30-2017 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lhsgolf19 (Post 500865)

Someone needs to remind them that both Grant and Shaka were Flyers before they were Rams.

FlyerGuyer 03-30-2017 11:45 AM

My favorite quote so far:

"I am honored and humbled to be the head coach at the University of Dayton," Grant said. "It's a great responsibility to take over at an institution that is so well-respected. Anyone you talk to in college basketball would say our program is a successful one, but the potential is here for so much more."

http://www.daytonflyers.com/news/201...all-coach.aspx

Beatty Town Coach 03-30-2017 11:45 AM

There was some beeping in the line while Neil and I were talking; I said, oh hell that's probably rollo thinking his input is needed.

But, I did let Neil know that you and royal family wanted Harper brought in as Senior Associate.

Beatty Town Coach 03-30-2017 11:47 AM

Ooooppppssss, there goes whio's who's next show. Typical channel 7.

Sea Bass 03-30-2017 11:47 AM

Good luck Coach Grant. We can all whine or support him.

Was he the best hire? Don't know but I will support him.

udx2 03-30-2017 11:47 AM

Welcome home!

Pleased to have Grant back at UD.

Wish him the best.

Flyers98 03-30-2017 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 31770 (Post 500857)
Meh...
This is a good get IF he can keep McKinley Wright, but i seriously doubt that will happen...

we will see...

So an 18 year old kid who has not played a single minute of NCAA ball and will at most play for 4 years is the determining factor for whether or not this is a good hire? Look past those trees, there's a whole forest out there.

jumpin' joe 03-30-2017 11:49 AM

Welcome Anthony! I saw every home game you played at the Arena and I hope to see every game you coach there too.

Ready Action 03-30-2017 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 31770 (Post 500867)
How many NCAA games do you think Anthony Grant wins next year starting Crosby and probably playing him 40 minuets a night at point...?

We wouldn't even be close to sniffing a bye in the A10 tournament, let alone the NCAA tourney

This summer when Norris Cole is back in town Grant will have him stop by and raise Crosby's game. Watch!!!

The Fly 03-30-2017 11:49 AM

I would love it if he finds a way to keep Ostrum on board. May not be likely, but they both served with Donovan and have a connection. Probably my second choice, but first in my heart for the character of the man. And I sure as heck loved rooting for him as a player back in the 80's. Now Mr. Grant, could you please win 75 percent of your games the way you did at VCU? 😀

rollo 03-30-2017 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyerGuyer (Post 500882)
My favorite quote so far:

"I am honored and humbled to be the head coach at the University of Dayton," Grant said. "It's a great responsibility to take over at an institution that is so well-respected. Anyone you talk to in college basketball would say our program is a successful one, but the potential is here for so much more."

http://www.daytonflyers.com/news/201...all-coach.aspx

http://espngrantland.files.wordpress...if?w=500&h=350

rollo 03-30-2017 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beatty Town Coach (Post 500884)
Ooooppppssss, there goes whio's who's next show. Typical channel 7.

There's rain on the way...WHIO needs to break into all programming to show us the clouds.

UDBrian 03-30-2017 11:52 AM

After being an nba assistant he can honestly tell a recruit that he knows what it takes to be in the nba and be successful in the nba. Playing for him and doing what he says should increase your chances of being drafted. This is important to the level of players we need to recruit.

You also have to give a thumbs up to someone who basically says "we have been successful but baby you ain't seen nothing yet"

I would think he will attempt to keep at least some of the current assistants

C-time 03-30-2017 11:53 AM

Somebody combine this with the thread with the most replies. Let's keep this all in one place.

http://www.udpride.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30808

ruechalgrin 03-30-2017 11:54 AM

Just to emphasize it again.

Grant's average kenpom rating in 9 yeas at VCU and Bama was 59 with a range of 26 to 86.

Archie's average keepom rating in 6 years at Dayton was 53 with a range of 39 to 69.

maddog07 03-30-2017 11:54 AM

Where is Kostas going???????
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 31770 (Post 500864)
And keep Kostas Antetokounmpo

He can't transfer without sitting out another year. He's far from ready to play in virtually anywhere at the professional level yet.

Beatty Town Coach 03-30-2017 11:56 AM

Close, but...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by rollo (Post 500892)
There's rain on the way...WHIO needs to break into all programming to show us the clouds.

Well, they don't "need to", but they will!!

Medford 03-30-2017 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Fly (Post 500890)
I would love it if he finds a way to keep Ostrum on board. May not be likely, but they both served with Donovan and have a connection. Probably my second choice, but first in my heart for the character of the man. And I sure as heck loved rooting for him as a player back in the 80's. Now Mr. Grant, could you please win 75 percent of your games the way you did at VCU? 😀

They served on the same staff for 6 years IIRC at Florida, so they know each other well. Hopefully that is a good thing, if AG wants to keep him on staff.

ruechalgrin 03-30-2017 11:58 AM

Grant's average kenpom ranking in 9 years at VCU and Alabama was 58 with a range of 26 to 86.

Archie's average kenpom ranking in 6 years at Dayton was a 53 with a range of 39 to 69.

Grant has a history of top recruiting. Archie was a better X and O coach.

Love the NBA angle to recruits.

TA111 03-30-2017 11:59 AM

Very good hire. Anthony is a class act and will represent the University and city very well.

OSU Flyer 03-30-2017 12:00 PM

I'll hope for the best but there's no objective way to look at this as good

C-time 03-30-2017 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Fly (Post 500890)
I would love it if he finds a way to keep Ostrum on board. May not be likely, but they both served with Donovan and have a connection. Probably my second choice, but first in my heart for the character of the man. And I sure as heck loved rooting for him as a player back in the 80's. Now Mr. Grant, could you please win 75 percent of your games the way you did at VCU? 😀

This would be what could change my viewpoint of the hire. Pay Ostrom 500k and name him associate head coach, and hopefully hold on to Wright. The fact that they have worked together before gives me a small amount of hope that it could happen.

Sitdowndigger 03-30-2017 12:02 PM

This
Posted via Mobile Device

NorthwestFlyer 03-30-2017 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T-Bone 84 (Post 500872)
The only thing I might have been happier with is if one of the current assistants had gotten elevated to the position. But in the absence of that happening, this is as close to "continuity" as we could have gotten. Hoping for many successful years in the Grant era, with more years in the NCAA than not, and a Sweet Sixteen appearance at least every 5 years or so, with a chance for better.

But no pressure! ;)

This.

Welcome home AG!

This could play out very well, mostly concerned with loosing a big recruiting class coming in, but AG can tell them what it takes to play at the next level after college, which is a good, and legitimate selling point from his experience. Hopefully he keeps the current assistants on board to help with the continuity. My biggest concern is loosing our current LOIs and taking a few steps back over the next couple of years to build up a new class. Roll up those sleeves and get to work AG, looking forward to seeing what you can bring to the table.

C-time 03-30-2017 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maddog07 (Post 500897)
He can't transfer without sitting out another year. He's far from ready to play in virtually anywhere at the professional level yet.

Exactly. The only option he really has is to just decide to turn pro and go play in Europe/Greece. With all of his family now in the US and financially secure thanks to Giannis I think that is less likely than if they were back in Greece.

OSU Flyer 03-30-2017 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C-time (Post 500909)
Exactly. The only option he really has is to just decide to turn pro and go play in Europe/Greece. With all of his family now in the US and financially secure thanks to Giannis I think that is less likely than if they were back in Greece.

He could go to Junior College for a year

TommyGola 03-30-2017 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rollo (Post 500891)


Rollo: You left out the last sentence of his quote. How did you miss this?


"I am honored and humbled to be the head coach at the University of Dayton," Grant said. "It's a great responsibility to take over at an institution that is so well-respected. Anyone you talk to in college basketball would say our program is a successful one, but the potential is here for so much more. :p And reporting to Rollo will be a true honor in itself; I am now royalty."

TommyGola 03-30-2017 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C-time (Post 500903)
This would be what could change my viewpoint of the hire. Pay Ostrom 500k and name him associate head coach, and hopefully hold on to Wright. The fact that they have worked together before gives me a small amount of hope that it could happen.

C-time...I agree. In fact, I would like to see Kevin Kuwik stay as well. Archie can find his own assistants.

Medford 03-30-2017 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OSU Flyer (Post 500902)
I'll hope for the best but there's no objective way to look at this as good

There are many objective ways to look at this as "good" you just choose not to. Only time will tell if you are correct or not.

IndianaFlyer 03-30-2017 12:07 PM

Like many, maybe not my first choice but definitely in my top 2. Good hire. He will be successful. He is our coach so he has now become my first choice with all my support. Welcome home Coach!!
Posted via Mobile Device

The Fly 03-30-2017 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OSU Flyer (Post 500910)
He could go to Junior College for a year

If Grant's hiring helps with any of the recruits, it's Kostas. His two years experience sitting next to Donovan on an NBA bench will send a strong signal to the Greek Freak's brother. I don't think the kid's going anywhere.

rollo 03-30-2017 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TommyGola (Post 500911)
Rollo: You left out the last sentence of his quote. How did you miss this?


"I am honored and humbled to be the head coach at the University of Dayton," Grant said. "It's a great responsibility to take over at an institution that is so well-respected. Anyone you talk to in college basketball would say our program is a successful one, but the potential is here for so much more. :p And reporting to Rollo will be a true honor in itself; I am now royalty."

Sir Anthony Grant?! If so, I gotta make some room at the Royal Roundtable!

Or should I wait until he wins an NCAAT game first?

ud2 03-30-2017 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OSU Flyer (Post 500902)
I'll hope for the best but there's no objective way to look at this as good

We will see.

My prediction: treading water, at best, for the next several years. Oh well. I will also hope for the best. Hopefully he picked up some things from Billy Donovan over the past 2 years and will adjust his approach.

longtimefan67 03-30-2017 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruechalgrin (Post 500900)
Grant's average kenpom ranking in 9 years at VCU and Alabama was 58 with a range of 26 to 86.

Archie's average kenpom ranking in 6 years at Dayton was a 53 with a range of 39 to 69.

Grant has a history of top recruiting. Archie was a better X and O coach.

Not sure I agree with " better X and O coach." I guess we'll see
Posted via Mobile Device

OSU Flyer 03-30-2017 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ud2 (Post 500919)
We will see.

My prediction: treading water, at best, for the next several years. Oh well. I will also hope for the best. Hopefully he picked up some things from Billy Donovan over the past 2 years and will adjust his approach.

If he hires good assistants then he has a chance. If it's the Bama crew then we're in trouble

udfanatic 03-30-2017 12:12 PM

Is AG taking over immediately or is he going to be with OKC until the NBA season ends?
Posted via Mobile Device

steve 03-30-2017 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by udfanatic (Post 500922)
Is AG taking over immediately or is he going to be with OKC until the NBA season ends?
Posted via Mobile Device

The guy already started less than 30 seconds after the photo was taken with the AD.

C-time 03-30-2017 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OSU Flyer (Post 500910)
He could go to Junior College for a year

That is an option.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TommyGola (Post 500912)
C-time...I agree. In fact, I would like to see Kevin Kuwik stay as well. Archie can find his own assistants.

No prior relationship with Grant and it's hard to see keeping that many assistants from the previous staff in my opinion. I think Ostrom is the priority unless Grant has a better point guard option than MW lined up.

steve 03-30-2017 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OSU Flyer (Post 500921)
If he hires good assistants then he has a chance. If it's the Bama crew then we're in trouble

LMAO.As opposed to any coach hiring bad assistants and being successful? There ain't a successful coach out there, anywhere, that has that success on his own.

UDDoug 03-30-2017 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OSU Flyer (Post 500877)
we squandered a major opportunity

Versus what? Frankly, none of know who else was really interested.

CJ43 03-30-2017 12:15 PM

Hate the hire. If hes not a Dayton graduate would he even been considered for the Dayton job given what he did at Alabama?

Remember watching Alabama play Dayton and thinking to myself Im glad we don't have Grant because the Alabama offense was very little ball movement and a lot of isolation plays. I guess that's why he was an assistant in the NBA...

Thought we had a good thing going with Archie I think it would have been better to keep the fluidity of what Archie was doing to just hire Kuwik or Ostrom that way there wasn't a huge learning curve for the players and also I think we would have been in a better position to keep the recruits.

Oh well Ill still continue rooting for the flyers.

Atlantic 10 03-30-2017 12:15 PM

Big donors win, 30 mil short fall for arena is now in hand

ud2 03-30-2017 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rollo (Post 500917)
Sir Anthony Grant?! If so, I gotta make some room at the Royal Roundtable!

Or should I wait until he wins an NCAAT game first?

Don't hold your breath, you might be waiting for a while.

steve 03-30-2017 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJ43 (Post 500928)
Hate the hire. If hes not a Dayton graduate would he even been considered for the Dayton job given what he did at Alabama?

Remember watching Alabama play Dayton and thinking to myself Im glad we don't have Grant because the Alabama offense was very little ball movement and a lot of isolation plays. I guess that's why he was an assistant in the NBA...

Thought we had a good thing going with Archie I think it would have been better to keep the fluidity of what Archie was doing to just hire Kuwik or Ostrom that way there wasn't a huge learning curve for the players and also I think we would have been in a better position to keep the recruits.

Oh well Ill still continue rooting for the flyers.

But the trade off is there would be a huge learning curve for the head coach?

Kuwik or Ostrom that way there wasn't a huge learning curve for the players

m21eagle45 03-30-2017 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJ43 (Post 500928)
Hate the hire. If hes not a Dayton graduate would he even been considered for the Dayton job given what he did at Alabama?

Remember watching Alabama play Dayton and thinking to myself Im glad we don't have Grant because the Alabama offense was very little ball movement and a lot of isolation plays. I guess that's why he was an assistant in the NBA...

Thought we had a good thing going with Archie I think it would have been better to keep the fluidity of what Archie was doing to just hire Kuwik or Ostrom that way there wasn't a huge learning curve for the players and also I think we would have been in a better position to keep the recruits.

Oh well Ill still continue rooting for the flyers.

I don't see how anyone can hate this hire. Of the available options, who was so much clearly better that you hate this move? Ostrom has never been an HC and if you read into articles written about him, and know how he is, he does not seem to ever want to be a HC. Kuwik has been mentioned for small time jobs and didn't get those. If he can't get Dartmouth, I am not sure he is ready for Dayton. The other HC options being named have as many warts as AG. There was no clear choice. So I have no problem going with the safe proven coach over a high risk high reward option that is just as likely to be a bust.

ud2 03-30-2017 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJ43 (Post 500928)
Hate the hire. If hes not a Dayton graduate would he even been considered for the Dayton job given what he did at Alabama?

Remember watching Alabama play Dayton and thinking to myself Im glad we don't have Grant because the Alabama offense was very little ball movement and a lot of isolation plays. I guess that's why he was an assistant in the NBA...

Thought we had a good thing going with Archie I think it would have been better to keep the fluidity of what Archie was doing to just hire Kuwik or Ostrom that way there wasn't a huge learning curve for the players and also I think we would have been in a better position to keep the recruits.

Oh well Ill still continue rooting for the flyers.

Amen. Bad hire.

Sea Bass 03-30-2017 12:22 PM

Anthony needs to hire his own assistants. He has a prior relationship with Ostrom. Will be interesting to see if Pelphrey is interested.

Windy City Flyer 03-30-2017 12:24 PM

Ostrom is from the Billy D coaching tree. He coached with Pelphrey at Arkansas as well. This will be interesting to see how this plays out. I am not sure he fits into the AM plan as his assistants will have more Indiana ties than anything else. If he keeps Ostrom this becomes a great hire. We all probably know Ostrom comes from Minnesota. He seems like he's born to be an assistant coach which isn't a bad thing.

T-Bone 84 03-30-2017 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruechalgrin (Post 500900)
Grant's average kenpom ranking in 9 years at VCU and Alabama was 58 with a range of 26 to 86.

Archie's average kenpom ranking in 6 years at Dayton was a 53 with a range of 39 to 69.

Grant has a history of top recruiting. Archie was a better X and O coach.

Love the NBA angle to recruits.

So, very comparable in terms of achieved success.

And as long as a leader surrounds himself/herself with people who accentuate their strengths and offset their weaknesses, that leader will have a well-rounded staff. So, Anthony will need a good X-and-O guy on the bench.

You know, if Purnell wouldn't consider it a step down, he could be the X-and-O guy. Was always impressed with how his teams executed on offense. But he probably wouldn't consider it. Plus, he's getting to the point in his career where he probably wants to spend less time on the road, not more. Still, someone with those skills would be a boon to AG's staff.

OCFlyer85 03-30-2017 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 31770 (Post 500857)
Meh...
This is a good get IF he can keep McKinley Wright, but i seriously doubt that will happen...

we will see...

Jeezus, Mckinley Wright WILL NOT make or break this program.

100% behind AG.

longtimefan67 03-30-2017 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OCFlyer85 (Post 500942)
Jeezus, Mckinley Wright WILL NOT make or break this program.

100% behind AG.

At the way this board has blown him up, his head may not fit through the UD arena doors...
Posted via Mobile Device

funeralplanner 03-30-2017 12:29 PM

I think it is a GREAT hire! When I heard of Archie leaving I immediately looked to see where AG was coaching. Nobody knows if he is going to reach out to Tom, but I'm sure it was discussed since they have a past with each other. We should all be on board with this hire! I'm sure recruits are reading these pages, and if we are all on board and excited, I'm sure they will be too.

MD Flyer Pride 03-30-2017 12:29 PM

Great hire! Welcome back, Anthony!!! :D

Go Flyers!

ud2 03-30-2017 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OSU Flyer (Post 500921)
If he hires good assistants then he has a chance. If it's the Bama crew then we're in trouble

I doubt it. Unless he listens to his assistants and changes his approach.

I agree, if it is the Bama crew, then we are in trouble. We will see.

longtimefan67 03-30-2017 12:34 PM

And for the record, just based on character alone, i love the hire. We got us a great coach and actually this is who i wanted when BG left.
Posted via Mobile Device

FLYER5 03-30-2017 12:34 PM

Welcome home, Anthony! Go Flyers! Great choice by the AD. Let's get started!

OSU Flyer 03-30-2017 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m21eagle45 (Post 500935)
I don't see how anyone can hate this hire. Of the available options, who was so much clearly better that you hate this move? Ostrom has never been an HC and if you read into articles written about him, and know how he is, he does not seem to ever want to be a HC. Kuwik has been mentioned for small time jobs and didn't get those. If he can't get Dartmouth, I am not sure he is ready for Dayton. The other HC options being named have as many warts as AG. There was no clear choice. So I have no problem going with the safe proven coach over a high risk high reward option that is just as likely to be a bust.

The team he left at Bama for Avery Johnson got beat by nearly 40 points by UD.

Radar 03-30-2017 12:38 PM

Welcome Home Anthony.

BTW, Reunion Weekend is June 9-11. Don't forget, because it's your 30th...see you there!

SeasonTicketFan 03-30-2017 12:39 PM

AG started the havoc concept I believe at VCU. He recruited players who were athletic and could get after it. His teams would press, steal and rebound. The weakness was offensive skills.

If AG can use the Archie 365 day a year player development system, you have a jackpot.

I do remember UD beating Anthony's Alabama teams here and there. That is my one concern. The Alabama teams seemed to be a bit wild at times.

hawkoooo 03-30-2017 12:44 PM

Pelphrey and Ostrum would be great, but explain to me why he would leave Alabama with Avery Johnson?

m21eagle45 03-30-2017 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OSU Flyer (Post 500954)
The team he left at Bama for Avery Johnson got beat by nearly 40 points by UD.

And how much better was Avery Johnson since then? 18-15 and 19-15 in 2 years as HC at Bama. Actually doing worse than AG when AG was there.

cj 03-30-2017 12:45 PM

:worried:Do we get a home and home with OKC?

T-Bone 84 03-30-2017 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OSU Flyer (Post 500954)
The team he left at Bama for Avery Johnson got beat by nearly 40 points by UD.

The team he left at 'Bama probably had about as many resources as they provide at Sinclair (and fewer than Wright State). If it ain't Nick Saban and "Roll" Tide Football, they don't really care.

31770 03-30-2017 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyers98 (Post 500887)
So an 18 year old kid who has not played a single minute of NCAA ball and will at most play for 4 years is the determining factor for whether or not this is a good hire? Look past those trees, there's a whole forest out there.

AGs ability to maintain a high level recruit at a position we desperately need back up in for next year??? yea that's pretty freaking important... Going 6-12 in conference could start a downward spiral. It couuld start a fire and burn your little forest down. And at this time that's the first metric you can use to actually judge if this is a good choice.

FLYER5 03-30-2017 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TommyGola (Post 500912)
C-time...I agree. In fact, I would like to see Kevin Kuwik stay as well. Archie can find his own assistants.

Ummm, nevermind..

T-Bone 84 03-30-2017 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m21eagle45 (Post 500961)
And how much better was Avery Johnson since then? 18-15 and 19-15 in 2 years as HC at Bama. Actually doing worse than AG when AG was there.

And this is the guy who took the Mavs to the NBA Finals @ 10 years ago, and was the starting PG on the first great Spurs championship team in the late '90s. The guy knows his hoops. 'Bama is just a no-win proposition for a basketball HC as long as the football team is in the running for a national title every year. It's an "allocation of resources" issue down there.

dnutz77 03-30-2017 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cj (Post 500962)
:worried:Do we get a home and home with OKC?

LOL, nope. But maybe South Carolina!! Believe Martin and Grant were HS teammates. Would be a nice series.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:19 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.1

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertisement System V2.6 By   Branden

     
 
Copyright 1996-2012 UDPride.com. All Rights Reserved.