UDPride Discussion Forums    
     

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums

» Log in
User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
UDPride Discussion Forums

UDPride Discussion Forums (http://www.udpride.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mens Basketball (http://www.udpride.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Obi is ready to roll this seasn (http://www.udpride.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32178)

lhsgolf19 06-09-2018 10:37 AM

Obi is ready to roll this season
 
R Toppin @roni_toppin
13h13 hours ago
More
Little preview of whatís brewing in Ohio
https://twitter.com/roni_toppin/stat...69419122151424

BIG Time Athlete coming to the Arena this season... Can't wait to see this dude!

Would have been a high major player if Coach Grant didn't take a chance and knew he was sitting out last year.

OSU Flyer 06-09-2018 12:33 PM

I'm hopeful he's got the tools on the defensive end to be able to guard the Grant Golden/Taylor Funk style stretch 4s in the A10

hawkoooo 06-09-2018 12:45 PM

Based on athleticism alone he's going to get decent minutes. Hopefully he can stay out of foul trouble.

lhsgolf19 06-10-2018 04:18 PM

David Jablonski @DavidPJablonski
5m5 minutes ago
More
Tom: Archdeacon: @DaytonMBB redshirt freshman Obadiah Toppin eager to make debut https://www.mydaytondailynews.com/sp...YQdG2m9wSvd2K/

Fudd 06-10-2018 04:45 PM

I've been looking forward to this player since his recruitment.

ud69 06-10-2018 06:23 PM

If the energy and character he showed on the bench last year while sitting out will translate to his game on the floor - then he could be the surprise of the season.

longtimefan67 06-11-2018 07:09 AM

If he shows only 1/2 of the athleticism that i just saw in the tweet video, the arena is going to be rocking this year and 2017/18 is going to be a distant memory- at least for me.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bat'71 06-11-2018 08:12 AM

Could he turn into our Flyers Obi-Wan-Kenobi? (I know, it's horrible, but I couldn't resist; i'm blaming a lame sense of humor and 'ROIDS!) :)

San Diego Flyer 06-11-2018 08:38 AM

Yep. Hemorrhoids will do that to you. :)

Gazoo 06-11-2018 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lhsgolf19 (Post 552317)
R Toppin @roni_toppin
13h13 hours ago
More
Little preview of whatís brewing in Ohio
https://twitter.com/roni_toppin/stat...69419122151424

BIG Time Athlete coming to the Arena this season... Can't wait to see this dude!

Would have been a high major player if Coach Grant didn't take a chance and knew he was sitting out last year.


Looks like an NBA draft pick to me, just give him a #13 jersey with a bunch of letters on he back.

San Diego Flyer 06-11-2018 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lhsgolf19 (Post 552317)
R Toppin @roni_toppin
13h13 hours ago
More
Little preview of whatís brewing in Ohio
https://twitter.com/roni_toppin/stat...69419122151424

BIG Time Athlete coming to the Arena this season... Can't wait to see this dude!

Would have been a high major player if Coach Grant didn't take a chance and knew he was sitting out last year.

I haven't seen anything regarding his wingspan, but from the clip he appears to have that 7'+ Kostas -ish reach. Loooong arms.

jack72 06-11-2018 10:26 AM


rollo 06-11-2018 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoo (Post 552374)
Looks like an NBA draft pick to me...

https://media.melty.fr/article-35777...exemple-de.gif

Flyer 86 06-11-2018 04:22 PM

If he's played city ball at Rucker and been around NY guys - this guy will come ready to play and dish it. Glad i got to read this.

Sounds like he might be in the right place, at the right time. And ready to give Cunningham some real support.

BeckysTXA 06-11-2018 05:36 PM

The two things I love about this guy is he is smarter than you think. The guy figured out pretty quick he would be better off hanging with the walk-ones at the end of the bench than some of the scholarship players riding the pine. Second, within days of the end of the season he tweeted it was his time and he couldnít wait.

I canít wait to see him on the court next year.

bcross 06-11-2018 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeckysTXA (Post 552416)
The two things I love about this guy is he is smarter than you think. The guy figured out pretty quick he would be better off hanging with the walk-ones at the end of the bench than some of the scholarship players riding the pine. Second, within days of the end of the season he tweeted it was his time and he couldn’t wait.

I can’t wait to see him on the court next year.

Kostas sat with the walk-ons and tweeted out that great things were coming after the Wichita game.

TXFlyerFan 06-11-2018 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcross (Post 552418)
Kostas sat with the walk-ons and tweeted out that great things were coming after the Wichita game.

This is why we can't have nice things. Does every post have to be met with some negative response? How about Obi isn't Kostas and let's not lump them together.

bcross 06-11-2018 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TXFlyerFan (Post 552419)
This is why we can't have nice things. Does every post have to be met with some negative response? How about Obi isn't Kostas and let's not lump them together.

Big Steve, Cooke, Cunningham, etc. all sat with the walk-ons at the end of the bench if it makes you feel better. That's where players who are redshirting typically sit. Where he sat on the bench shouldn't be spun into a positive or a negative.

TXFlyerFan 06-11-2018 09:58 PM

But he didn't just sit there, did he. He was a huge cheerleader on the bench, always with the biggest smile, always encouraging his teammates etc. If you didn't see that, you weren't paying attention. And that's why it's not fair to use the "Kostas did x" comparison, because Kostas was not the biggest cheerleader, was not always smiling, or encouraging his teammates.

bcross 06-11-2018 10:09 PM

You're reading way too much into this.

Jaco2112 06-12-2018 01:44 AM

Looks like a stronger, more agile, better ball-handling version of Devin Oliver in his senior year!

shocka43 06-12-2018 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaco2112 (Post 552433)
Looks like a stronger, more agile, better ball-handling version of Devin Oliver in his senior year!

I can get with that.

Gazoo 06-12-2018 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaco2112 (Post 552433)
Looks like a stronger, more agile, better ball-handling version of Devin Oliver in his senior year!


I'm telling you, just put "Antetokounmpo" on the back of his jersey, and he's a 2nd round pick right now even before he averages 5 points per game in the A10.

longtimefan67 06-13-2018 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcross (Post 552425)
You're reading way too much into this.

No weíre not. When has there ever been a red shirt freshman win any award at UD. Coming off a year where we had several guys mentally check out sitting on the same bench next to Obi who didnít even dress? Half of good play in any sport is attitude. In my mind heís already setting a high bar. October canít come soon enough.
Posted via Mobile Device

Flyer2 06-13-2018 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcross (Post 552418)
Kostas sat with the walk-ons and tweeted out that great things were coming after the Wichita game.

I sat in my seat the whole game and I stood up and cheered when appropriate and I was able to do this without staying at a Holiday Inn Express.

Oh yeah this thread is supposed to be about Obi... May the Force be with him.

Widget 06-13-2018 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longtimefan67 (Post 552538)
No weíre not. When has there ever been a red shirt freshman win any award at UD. Coming off a year where we had several guys mentally check out sitting on the same bench next to Obi who didnít even dress? Half of good play in any sport is attitude. In my mind heís already setting a high bar. October canít come soon enough.
Posted via Mobile Device


I agree. Anyone can cheer during a 30 win season.

bcross 06-13-2018 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longtimefan67 (Post 552538)
No weíre not. When has there ever been a red shirt freshman win any award at UD. Coming off a year where we had several guys mentally check out sitting on the same bench next to Obi who didnít even dress? Half of good play in any sport is attitude. In my mind heís already setting a high bar. October canít come soon enough.
Posted via Mobile Device

Players who don't play typically sit at the end of the bench. This is includes walk-ons, redshirts, injured players, etc. This is a far more logical and likely reason why Obi sat with the walk-ons. That's all I was saying. It wasn't that deep.

SeasonTicketFan 06-13-2018 03:08 PM

Got all the end of bench, walk on, cheering,right crowd talk. I am eager to see Obi in action next.

My few glimpses in person were good. He is tall, long and seems quick.

longtimefan67 06-13-2018 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcross (Post 552578)
Players who don't play typically sit at the end of the bench. This is includes walk-ons, redshirts, injured players, etc. This is a far more logical and likely reason why Obi sat with the walk-ons. That's all I was saying. It wasn't that deep.

He won the spirit award as a red shirt. That is the ONLY award he could even be nominated for as a red shirt. It's never been awarded to a red shirt so I am already liking what I see and he hasn't taken a shot in uniform yet; that's all I'm saying.

San Diego Flyer 06-13-2018 05:51 PM

Obi reminds me of the kind of player Syracuse feasts on. Sometimes it looks like they are playing with 6 on the floor at once.

bcross 06-13-2018 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longtimefan67 (Post 552593)
He won the spirit award as a red shirt. That is the ONLY award he could even be nominated for as a red shirt. It's never been awarded to a red shirt so I am already liking what I see and he hasn't taken a shot in uniform yet; that's all I'm saying.

Ok, chief.

longtimefan67 06-14-2018 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcross (Post 552601)
Ok, chief.

Youíre welcome
Posted via Mobile Device

superfan99 06-14-2018 07:55 AM

Am I the only one that finds it comical that Bcross seems to be angry at Longtime just because Longtime is happy that Obi had a good attitude during his red-shirt year? The horror! :)

steve 06-14-2018 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longtimefan67 (Post 552593)
He won the spirit award as a red shirt. That is the ONLY award he could even be nominated for as a red shirt. It's never been awarded to a red shirt so I am already liking what I see and he hasn't taken a shot in uniform yet; that's all I'm saying.

Not only that but the dude is always engaging with other players in warmups, always in time outs, etc. Not every RS or walk-on acts like him. Obviously, that's no guarantee for future contributions on the court but I, as well, like what I see from an attitude standpoint with him..

CE80 06-14-2018 09:07 AM

We need some games. Will there be a red and blue game this year?

jack72 06-14-2018 09:26 AM

Must be the off season. We are more interested in cheering than playing.

lhsgolf19 06-25-2018 11:12 AM

On UD's instagram page:

daytonmbbFrom 188 to 220 lbs, @__0t1 has 4.2% body fat. �� 1st class facilities deliver 1st class results ✈️������
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bkc0lkOl...n-by=daytonmbb

Whoa

TA111 06-25-2018 11:49 AM

Obi’s arms look like Kostas’ legs.

Justin 06-25-2018 03:15 PM

Long and draftable? I'll take it :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by TA111 (Post 553457)
Obiís arms look like Kostasí legs.


Beatty Town Coach 06-26-2018 12:49 AM

Red V. Blue is never coming back.

The only thing I learned from this thread is that "Kostas did X"...somethings you don't want to know.

Or, at the very least, they both screwed Flyer Fans. Yes I'm being funny...almost.

TheDuke2003 06-26-2018 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lhsgolf19 (Post 553450)
On UD's instagram page:

daytonmbbFrom 188 to 220 lbs, @__0t1 has 4.2% body fat. �� 1st class facilities deliver 1st class results ✈️������
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bkc0lkOl...n-by=daytonmbb

Whoa

That's good to hear because we are going to have to rely on him some for inside minutes this year. 6'8" and 220 lbs will work in the post for the college game.

steve 06-26-2018 11:43 AM

Fixed it for you.....lol

That's good to hear because we are going to have to rely on him ALOT for inside minutes this year. 6'8" and 220 lbs will work in the post for the college game.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:36 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.1

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertisement System V2.6 By   Branden

     
 
Copyright 1996-2012 UDPride.com. All Rights Reserved.