UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
UDPride Discussion Forums

UDPride Discussion Forums (http://www.udpride.com/forums/index.php)
-   UDPride Articles (http://www.udpride.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   In Search of Matthew Atewe (http://www.udpride.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21459)

Swampy Meadows 09-10-2012 11:05 PM

In Search of Matthew Atewe

FITCHBURG (MA) -- “From the Swamp” brings you another installment of “In Search Of”, the irregular feature on Flyer recruiting targets and this time the subject matter is not a player from the Metro Detroit area. I’ve been back home in New England this week on business and it afforded me the opportunity to stop by my alma mater, Notre Dame Prep in Fitchburg, MA to talk to 2013 big man Matthew Atewe.

When I attended ND, it was an all boys Catholic HS run by the Brothers of the Sacred Heart, with an enrollment of around 300 guys drawn from Central Massachusetts and Southern New Hampshire. Nowadays, it’s a private boarding school with a much smaller student population, but one that attracts some of the best prep basketball talent in the country. One of them is rising senior Matthew Atewe.

After giving Matt my standard disclaimer that while I write for a UD hoops fan website, I don’t work for the University, Matt told me that this will be his 2nd year at ND, after having previously attending La Jolla Prep in California. Atewe is a native of Barrington, ON, a suburb of Toronto and said that he knows current Flyer Dayshawn Pierre and was aware that Pierre had tried out for the Canadian Senior National Team. Matt currently stands 6’9” tall and tips the Toledo at 230 pounds.

I asked Matt what offers he currently had and he listed “Memphis, Marquette, Kansas State, Dayton, Nevada, Saint Bonaventure, Marshall, Charlotte, Southern Mississippi” and then his voice trailed off. He then asked “Do you want me to continue?” I told him no, I get the picture – that Matthew Atewe is a young man in demand!

Atewe said that as far as visits are concerned, he has only taken an unofficial to SBU and has an official visit scheduled with Bruce Weber and Kansas State. Matt said he has no favorite, has yet to shorten his list, has no geographical limitations on where in the country he plays, is basically wide open and really doesn’t have a timetable in mind for making a decision. “I’ll decide when the time is right.” Matt went on to explain that he will most likely wait until the spring to sign and that after he goes to KSU he would like to schedule two more official visits before his senior season starts.

Matt mentioned that he talks to “Coach K” (Kuwik) and “Coach Archie” (Miller) frequently. When asked what he knows about UD, Atewe stated that he is aware that the Flyers like to play fast and that it is a style that would suit his game well. Academics will be a big factor in Atewe’s decision process, as he would like to major in Business or Pre-Law. Matt feels that Brewster Academy (featuring former IU signee Ron Patterson and Marion, OH native Elijah Macon) will be Notre Dame’s biggest competitor in the New England prep ranks this upcoming season.

It appears that KSU might have a slight inside edge on securing Matthew Atewe’s services. The fact that former ND Prep star Chester Frazier is now on Bruce Weber’s Wildcat staff might have something to do with that. Can “Coach K” and “Coach Archie” overcome that obstacle? Time will tell.

After Matthew and I said goodbye, I headed out to the parking lot and noticed that the gym door was open. I walked into the building where I had attended hundreds of gym classes and played dozens of intramural games. There were a couple of balls lying around and it felt great to swish a few jumpers and nail a couple of FTs on the floor that I had not set foot on in over 40 years.

That’s it “From the Swamp.”
You can email me at: swampy@udpride.com

Chris R 09-11-2012 02:29 AM

Thanks Swamper! And glad you got back to your old stomping grounds. Does the gymnasium have your name on it?

Swampy Meadows 09-11-2012 06:10 AM

Chris:

Generally speaking, high schools don't name gyms after the last guy cut from the varsity hoops squad in their senior year.

Chris R 09-11-2012 11:46 AM

They do if that cut was a big mistake!

jack72 09-12-2012 09:37 PM

Great column. You really can write well when you do not mention the Red Sox.

Swampy Meadows 09-12-2012 10:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, now that you mention it Jack, here is a picture I took when I snuck onto the field at Fenway.