UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
UDPride Discussion Forums

UDPride Discussion Forums (http://www.udpride.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mens Basketball (http://www.udpride.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Team News (Open Practice for the Media) (http://www.udpride.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31236)

lhsgolf19 09-21-2017 03:33 PM

Team News (Open Practice for the Media)

David Jablonski‏Verified account @DavidPJablonski 4m4 minutes ago

Anthony Grant says Flyers will have one captain this season. It's Josh Cunningham.

David Jablonski‏Verified account @DavidPJablonski 6m6 minutes ago

Some footage of the new Flyers warming up before practice. – at University of Dayton
https://twitter.com/DavidPJablonski/...48068337610754

lhsgolf19 09-21-2017 03:39 PM

Harrison D. Sanford‏ @HarrisonSanford 7m7 minutes ago

Two things are evident watching @DaytonMBB today ... they are looooooooong and have enough shooting to play BIG lineups

Harrison D. Sanford‏ @HarrisonSanford 5m5 minutes ago

I can envision at times 6'5, 6'7, 6'7, 6'8, 6'10 on the floor at the same time

Harrison D. Sanford‏ @HarrisonSanford 4m4 minutes ago

Finally, Kostas Antetokounmpo got back on the floor yesterday, allowed to play but non-contact as he recovers from injury

lhsgolf19 09-21-2017 04:16 PM

David Jablonski‏Verified account @DavidPJablonski 4m4 minutes ago

Anthony Grant on Dayton's 10-player roster: "We don't make excuses, and we don't want anyone making excuses for us."

Lifelong Flyer Fan 09-21-2017 05:41 PM

jack72 09-21-2017 05:51 PM

Smith and Street picks us 8th in the A10, also some video of practice.

http://www.mydaytondailynews.com/spo...6w5m8FICfR6oL/

Lifelong Flyer Fan 09-22-2017 01:22 PM

Great opportunity for Ohio HS BB coaches to meet Anthony. http://daytonflyers.com/news/2017/9/...es-clinic.aspx

Lifelong Flyer Fan 09-22-2017 06:46 PM

Lifelong Flyer Fan 10-10-2017 11:53 AM

Alberto Strasse 10-10-2017 01:14 PM

None of the DDN Posts

can be read. The pop-up interrupts the view.

CE80 10-10-2017 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alberto Strasse (Post 516300)

That's a personal problem.

Seriously, it worked for me.

Marysville Flyer 10-10-2017 02:47 PM

I am super hyped to see what impact AG will have on the team and the intensity and pace of play on both ends of the floor.

I always felt we played way too slow under BG and to a lesser degree under Arch - mainly offensively.

I'm hoping to see much more pressure on D over the entire court more often and a quicker, hopefully controlled pace on O.

Won't be long now until we find out. Looking forward to SC.
Posted via Mobile Device

C-time 10-10-2017 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alberto Strasse (Post 516300)

Works for me. Just click on the X in the upper right corner of the ad/pop-up to close it.

MikeF 10-10-2017 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CE80 (Post 516306)
That's a personal problem.

Seriously, it worked for me.

Remember...if the pop-ups persist for more than four hours, consult your physician...or the webmaster.

Ready Action 10-10-2017 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeF (Post 516330)
Remember...if the pop-ups persist for more than four hours, consult your physician...or the webmaster.

Or tell 'em to bring you another ad to your liking

TheDuke2003 10-11-2017 09:56 AM

Sounds like DD will be running some PG this year. Crutcher is awfully skinny to be expecting a lot of minutes as a true freshman. Svoboda at SG some as well.

Big lineup?:
PG: Darrell Davis
SG: Matej Svoboda
F: Xerius Williams
F: Josh Cunningham
F: Kostas Antetekumnpo

Gazoo 10-11-2017 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDuke2003 (Post 516369)
Sounds like DD will be running some PG this year.

I predict DD will have the worst A/TO ratio in the country is he's the PG. We'd be better off having him play PF. It's just not who he is.

CE80 10-11-2017 11:00 AM

I predict another 4 weeks of meaningless babble on UDPride.

This season can't come soon enough.

Lifelong Flyer Fan 10-11-2017 11:14 AM

Trey Landers wants to be the "glue" guy.
http://www.mydaytondailynews.com/spo...9UA7yZZdO4cjM/

Justin 10-11-2017 11:57 AM

Looks and sounds like he is putting in the work! Also, props to the tat game he's got going on!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lifelong Flyer Fan (Post 516383)
Trey Landers wants to be the "glue" guy.
http://www.mydaytondailynews.com/spo...9UA7yZZdO4cjM/

Lifelong Flyer Fan 10-20-2017 11:35 AM

Current team news:
Anthony talks about the freshmen
http://www.mydaytondailynews.com/spo...1v7uBRjwOf5KK/

Katz on Anthony Grant
http://www.daytoncitypaper.com/on-the-beat-1017-2/

Tweet from Nevada coach about AG
https://twitter.com/EricPMusselman/s...71673314394112

frisco flyer 10-21-2017 03:43 AM

C-time 10-21-2017 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frisco flyer (Post 516985)

I still can't believe it took AG or anyone from UD so long to contact Svoboda when Archie left. It basically sounds like Ostrom did call while the coaching search was going on, but once AG got the job nobody called MS for 2 months!!!!! Svoboda said others schools were contacting him, but AG said he didn't have any way to contact him? Did nobody else at UD besides Ostrom have Svoboda's email or phone #? Couldn't have AG had the secretary contact the pro team he was playing for to get in touch with him?

Somebody please explain to me how or why nobody was able to make contact with him for 2 months in the year 2017.

DallasFlyer 10-21-2017 11:24 AM

Contact info was most definitely turned over. The DDN had Svoboda's email, and reached out to him with no response too during that period. I think the lack of communication went both ways. Glad it all worked out.

San Diego Flyer 10-21-2017 11:32 AM

It was a bit entertaining to watch many on this board freak out about no news re Matej. Basically he had no understanding about how the recruiting process plays out. So immediately a lack of news meant the sky was falling. Our following here couldn't deal with the silence. But I have to temper that with the fact that in the USA, no news from a valued recruit is usually bad news. And same goes for a recruit who wants to go to a target program in the US and he hasn't heard from them. Not good news.

This whole deal with Svoboda was simply non-traditional recruiting which did not offer the usual touches and communication reassurances that needy fans expect. Very different.

The tattoo he sports says everything we need to know about MS.

C-time 10-21-2017 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DallasFlyer (Post 516995)
Contact info was most definitely turned over. The DDN had Svoboda's email, and reached out to him with no response too during that period. I think the lack of communication went both ways. Glad it all worked out.

So if it was turned over why did AG say that he didn't know how to contact MS? How can the DDN/Jablonski have the contact info but AG didn't?

I realize he's here now but the whole story just doesn't add up to me. :nuts:

TXFlyerFan 10-21-2017 03:54 PM

Maybe I missed this somewhere...Cunningham out 1.5 weeks with sprained wrist

NJFlyr71 10-23-2017 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C-time (Post 517000)
So if it was turned over why did AG say that he didn't know how to contact MS? How can the DDN/Jablonski have the contact info but AG didn't?

I realize he's here now but the whole story just doesn't add up to me. :nuts:

Read this too ... I agree that it seems strange how that all played out .. some one had to have dropped the ball (no pun intended BTW). Luckily the guy was so enamored with the program that he stuck it out until someone DID contact him.

I know AG was new and had a lot on his mind (moving family, getting staff put together, etc) but someone in the AD office should have reached out in the meantime. Or at least mentioned/reached out to someone who had this kind of information.

Maybe there was doubt that they actually wanted him? :confused:

San Diego Flyer 10-23-2017 09:16 AM

Seems to me Miller was hard after 5 recruits and got 5 commits. When he left he thought that we had zero chance of getting any of those 5. Anthony eventually convinced 3 of those to stay with UD.

That's at least an A- in my book, especially when you look at the unorthodox recruiting path for Matej. When viewing the distance and complexity Svoboda presented, Anthony likely put the recruiting assets where he thought they would yield the best results.

What if we had put a full court press on Matej, and he was the only one we retained. How would that sit with everyone?

Buckleyma 10-23-2017 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJFlyr71 (Post 517082)
Read this too ... I agree that it seems strange how that all played out .. some one had to have dropped the ball (no pun intended BTW). Luckily the guy was so enamored with the program that he stuck it out until someone DID contact him.

I know AG was new and had a lot on his mind (moving family, getting staff put together, etc) but someone in the AD office should have reached out in the meantime. Or at least mentioned/reached out to someone who had this kind of information.

Kevin Kuwik was retained on staff for a long time after Anthony Grant was hired. There should have been a an easy transition. What else was Kuwik doing if not taking care of the incoming freshmen?
Posted via Mobile Device

Buster Goode 10-23-2017 10:08 AM

Thankfully it worked out. I think Svoboda will be the best of the crop.

C-time 10-23-2017 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJFlyr71 (Post 517082)

That is one reason that had crossed my mind.

Quote:

Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer (Post 517084)
That's at least an A- in my book, especially when you look at the unorthodox recruiting path for Matej. When viewing the distance and complexity Svoboda presented, Anthony likely put the recruiting assets where he thought they would yield the best results.

What if we had put a full court press on Matej, and he was the only one we retained. How would that sit with everyone?

While I agree that the end recruiting result was fine considering the situation it taking 2 months to contact MS is just inexcusable. It's 2017 not 1917. How complicated is it to get someone's phone number/contact info and make a phone call to most places in the world? It's not complicated at all! If MS had said it took a week or two to call him I wouldn't be making such a big deal about it but 2 months is just absurd.

Maybe NJFlyr71 is right and AG wasn't sure if he really wanted MS so he just ignored him.

Gazoo 10-23-2017 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer (Post 517084)
Seems to me Miller was hard after 5 recruits and got 5 commits. When he left he thought that we had zero chance of getting any of those 5. Anthony eventually convinced 3 of those to stay with UD.

This is a classic false choice. Doesn't it strike you that there's a long, long distance on the continuum between a "full court press" to retain him and a quick 5 minute phone call to introduce yourself?

"You still in?"
"Yup."
"Good talk. See you on campus. You better be worth it, because this full court press on your recruiting (this phone call) is the reason we won't have a PG on the roster next season."

bcross 10-23-2017 01:58 PM

UD reported Svoboda signing his LOI on May 1st, which is only a month after AG was hired. AG would have had to have called sometime before then. Not sure if that changes anything, but it sounds like part of that lack of communication was with the prior staff.

TMPH66 10-23-2017 02:37 PM

The 12 days left till we are on the Blackburn Court can’t come soon enough. We will then have something to talk about performance related.

Jeff 10-23-2017 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMPH66 (Post 517127)
The 12 days left till we are on the Blackburn Court can’t come soon enough. We will then have something to talk about performance related.

Yep, a lot of chatter about a guy that came to UD. Meanwhile AG grabs a 4 star, and we're not happy with how he handles recruiting.

I'm sure a big target will get away (you can't get them all), but right now...AG's results seem to speak for themselves.

San Diego Flyer 10-23-2017 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckleyma (Post 517089)
Kevin Kuwik was retained on staff for a long time after Anthony Grant was hired. There should have been a an easy transition. What else was Kuwik doing if not taking care of the incoming freshmen?
Posted via Mobile Device

Checking the help wanted ads. Lots of moving pieces in a head coach transition.

Flyers98 10-23-2017 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff (Post 517144)
Yep, a lot of chatter about a guy that came to UD. Meanwhile AG grabs a 4 star, and we're not happy with how he handles recruiting.

I'm sure a big target will get away (you can't get them all), but right now...AG's results seem to speak for themselves.

Thank you! He’s here that’s what matters. At least AG didn’t tell him that he was too big time to come to UD. Some people would have nothing to do if they couldn’t complain, but about something that is completely moot and resolved in our favor? C’mon!

NJFlyr71 10-23-2017 08:40 PM

Only reason I thought this a little bit of a concern is the fact it showed that maybe no one was in charge at worst or _______________ pick your possibility.

Typically its things like this that are a symptom of more problematic issues in a system. Usually there is a context to the symptom that relates back to a systemic issue.

Yes the outcome was very acceptable. But why did it happen in the first place ....? Especially since it looks like there was a simple solution to the issue.

SO again why?

Yes a transition is somewhat uncontrolled. But there should be a transition/emergency plan (WRITTEN) in place for these kinds of events. What if, God Forbid, a coach drops dead? How do you react? What do you do? It should be similar to a transition or reaction plan in the event a fire takes down the use of the arena. For a program that makes all the other sports GO, you mean to tell me they haven't any plans and it's seat of the pants time?

NOT good folks. You can't do that and expect the outcome as it was in this case to always turn out positive for you.

I think there was some doubt as to going forward with MS as the only viable reason that it needed to be 'contemplated' for that long.

IndianaFlyer 10-23-2017 09:16 PM

I think we don't know and AG isn't going to tell us, which is just fine with me.
Posted via Mobile Device

Medford 11-01-2017 12:49 PM

Not sure where to put this, so I'll stuff it here:

UD showed up in the "other's receiving votes" category in the initial AP top 25. All of their 5 points came from this dude:

http://collegepolltracker.com/basket...017/pre-season

who placed UD at 21, no body else included UD in their ballot, which doesn't really surprise me given the high number of unknowns. Perhaps a quick start will lead others to join Chris Dachille's obvious wisdom :)

Flyers98 11-01-2017 02:03 PM

Being ranked preseason means absolutely nothing. Ask the Michigan and Florida State football teams.

ClaytonFlyerFan 11-01-2017 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Medford (Post 517957)
Not sure where to put this, so I'll stuff it here:

UD showed up in the "other's receiving votes" category in the initial AP top 25. All of their 5 points came from this dude:

http://collegepolltracker.com/basket...017/pre-season

who placed UD at 21, no body else included UD in their ballot, which doesn't really surprise me given the high number of unknowns. Perhaps a quick start will lead others to join Chris Dachille's obvious wisdom :)

Dachille is from Baltimore, the home of John Crosby, and he knows what Crosby will do this year not having to play in Schoochies shadow. :D

lhsgolf19 11-01-2017 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyers98 (Post 517965)
Being ranked preseason means absolutely nothing. Ask the Michigan and Florida State football teams.

Hey! lol... I think UM will be just fine now that Brandon Peters is ready to roll

flyer2003 11-01-2017 03:02 PM

Interesting that Ball State also received votes.

Lifelong Flyer Fan 11-01-2017 05:20 PM

http://www.mydaytondailynews.com/spo...ZZGXZN7ZTMw5L/
Brett Comer, grad asst from FGCU, talks a little about the guards in this article.

Lifelong Flyer Fan 11-08-2017 07:23 PM

Archdeacon on Crutcher.
http://www.mydaytondailynews.com/spo...V4ZU30CBplTvN/
(I spoke for a moment to Jalen's dad on the way to my seat last Saturday, nice friendly guy with a great smile.)

Gazoo 11-10-2017 12:14 PM

How important is it to make the NCAA tournament nearly every year? You won't know for 3 or 5 years in the future.

Crutcher had some knowledge of the Flyers: “I remember they played in the Elite Eight in Memphis (in 2015).”

And his dad was familiar with UD, too. “I remember when Dayton used to play the University of Memphis back in the day,” he said of the span from 1954 to 1995 when the Flyers won 12 of 19 meetings.