UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
UDPride Discussion Forums

UDPride Discussion Forums (http://www.udpride.com/forums/index.php)
-   UDPride Articles (http://www.udpride.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   NEW ARTICLE: In Search of Percy Gibson (http://www.udpride.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16404)

Swampy Meadows 12-31-2010 12:00 AM

In Search of Percy Gibson

BEVERLY HILLS (MI) -- Detroit (MI) Southeastern HS and Gary (IN) Lew Wallace HS were set to square off in the final contest in the week-long Motor City Roundball Classic at Detroit Country Day HS Thursday night. The game would pit University of Dayton signee PF/C Percy Gibson and his MSU-bound teammate SF Brandan Kearney against another future Sparty in PF Branden Dawson, the # 16 player in the country, according to Rivals.com.

For a little background on the Southeastern big man, here’s the “FTS” profile on Percy from last August when he committed to UD:

http://www.udpride.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15033

Gary Lew Wallace, which plays a tough schedule, had lost a nationally televised tilt to Brandon Spearman’s alma mater Chicago Simeon earlier in the season and sported a deceiving 3-5 record, after dispatching Detroit Cody 71-66 the night before. Southeastern had only lost once, ironically to Devin Oliver’s former school, Kalamazoo Central and the Jungaleers stood at 3-1 on the season.

I never made it to Detroit Pershing’s game vs. Jackson Wednesday night after the UD/GMU contest (a 1 point Doughboy victory on a made FT with no time left) and it’s too bad because U of M Head Coach John Beilein was there to watch Sherron Dorsey-Walker like I had on Sunday night. So, instead of a column here are video highlights of Sherron, courtesy of UMHoops.com:

http://www.umhoops.com/2010/12/30/vi...er-vs-jackson/

Former UD Assistant Coach and now ESPN.com Recruiting Analyst Reggie Rankin has been in the house (and Tweeting all day thru 7 games), as are a bunch of other bloggers. Let the fun begin!

Before the fun can begin you have to get in. The parking lot at Detroit Country Day was a total nuthouse and once I ‘created’ a spot for my car, I encountered a long line of people waiting to enter the gym. The problem was that DCDS was playing Chicago Orr HS (featuring Illini commit Mychael Henry) in the 7:30PM game and security wouldn’t let anyone in the building until after that contest ended, as they were lined up 6 deep around the floor. So of course, that tilt went into OT! I didn’t feel bad, as the guy waiting in line behind me was a cameraman from Channel 2.

I finally made my way over to the little press table they had set up in the corner and Matt Stefani from MichiganPreps.com found an extra chair for me to sit in. Matt said that 2012 UD recruiting target Khaliq Spicer showed up for the Dearborn Heights Robichaud game earlier in the day (he had been visiting his dad in California) but got dominated by a big guy named Urbane Bingham from North Farmington HS. As I sat down I noticed that UD Assistant Cornell Mann was standing right behind us talking to MSU mentor Tom Izzo. I reintroduced myself to Corn and congratulated him on the GMU game. Corn told me that Percy hadn’t started vs. Wallace as he had been sick. It didn’t seem to matter as, Brandan Kearney and Southeastern raced to a 16-0 lead in the first 5 minutes of the game. An AAU coach came over to say hello to Corn and Izzo and told Tom to watch out for Coach Mann because “this guy never sleeps.” I replied “probably because he works for a guy who doesn’t sleep either.” To which Izzo readily agreed by saying “I know…believe me I know.” MSU was putting the coaching double-team on at this game, as Spartan Associate Head Coach Mark Montgomery was also there to watch Branden and Brandan battle. I told Mark to tell his wife Alex hello from the Younger Swampette, as they played softball together down the street at Birmingham Groves.

Gary Lew Wallace never really threatened, as it was 36-20 at the half and 72-42 for the final score. It reminded Corn and Izzo of the nationally televised Chicago Simeon/Gary Lew Wallace debacle that had resulted in a similar outcome. Percy played sparingly due to foul trouble from trying to contain Dawson and he got his fifth with 2:00 left in the contest, exiting with 8 points, 6 rebounds, 3 blocks and 1 steal.

Coach Mann was the first person to walk over to PG after the game and congratulate him on the victory. I asked Percy what manner of illness he had and he told me that his sister had contracted the stomach flu and then he got it. Gibson said that he is working out details with his Mom on his next trip down to see a Dayton game at the Arena. He had heard about the GMU victory the night before. I begged Percy to give me some dirt on Coach Corn and he laughed and said he couldn’t think of a bad thing to say about him and that he is a really good guy. When asked about covering Branden Dawson and the resultant 5 fouls he used the word “versatile” to aptly describe the future Sparty’s game. Percy said he got a chance to talk to LaDontae Henton when Southeastern played in the pre-season scrimmages held at Lansing Eastern’s Don Johnson gym. I mentioned having seen Sherron Dorsey-Walker play earlier in the week at the MCRC and that Pershing and Southeastern were due to square off on January 7th. Percy reminded me that the game will be played at the Jungaleers home court and I told him I would try and make it so I could see both of them at once.

This obviously was not the best night to observe our newest Flyer big guy in action, but I liked what I saw of him, both on and off the court.

That’s it “From the Swamp.”
You can email me at: swampy@udpride.com

Swampy Meadows 01-01-2011 08:08 AM

Reggie Rankin's summary of the MCRC's best players, including SDW:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recru...ory?id=5974407