UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
UDPride Discussion Forums

UDPride Discussion Forums (http://www.udpride.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mens Basketball (http://www.udpride.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Dayton/Wright State game for Tornado relief (http://www.udpride.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33130)

flybye 06-10-2019 03:14 PM

Dayton/Wright State game for Tornado relief

The tornado left significant damage in the Dayton area. This would be a wonderful opportunity for UD/Wright State to ask for a wavier to play each other to give back to the community. Several programs have done this over the years. It would be so helpful and a great shot in the arm for The city. I am sure we will hear all the reasons why not. But there is no doubt it would be approved . Would really like to see my school UD lead the way. The Marianist way!!

NJFlyr71 06-10-2019 04:44 PM

So would a TRUMP - PUTIN arm wrestle match, but thank god we not havin' any of that either!

:deadhorse:

momszer 06-10-2019 06:45 PM

Oz

The Wrong State Raiders should join the Wizard in Oz. They might be able to beat the Munchkins. Play the Flyers hell no!!! :-)

flybye 06-10-2019 07:15 PM

So this game would replace the game against Findlay...and raise money for the Recovery from the tornado.In the past two years LSU played Louisiana Tech, Liberty played Va Tech and several other games have be played to help support the relief effort. As a season ticket holder I would rather have the money for a scrimmage go towards the relief effort and actually watch a D 1 team play. The coaches who have participated in games of this type of game preferred it Over playing a D2 or D3 team. It would fun and great for The city!

springborofan 06-10-2019 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flybye (Post 587034)
The tornado left significant damage in the Dayton area. This would be a wonderful opportunity for UD/Wright State to ask for a wavier to play each other to give back to the community. Several programs have done this over the years. It would be so helpful and a great shot in the arm for The city. I am sure we will hear all the reasons why not. But there is no doubt it would be approved . Would really like to see my school UD lead the way. The Marianist way!!

I’m not a proponent of renewing the UD/WSU series but I like this idea.

SeasonTicketFan 06-10-2019 07:55 PM

Sad that some care so little about the community and are so petty about sports rivalries.

The community was hammered hard. The devastation was major and recovery will take a long time. Chris Wright volunteered a lot of time. Beth Flach helped out. Football players from Miami and the University of Cincinnati volunteered. They did not care if it was in Dayton territory. And more... UD has reached out. So have Wright State, Sinclair and more. But, go ahead and trash Wright State...

Any effort to help the community should be considered. The idea won’t happen, but any fund raising idea would be helpful. Right now Dayton region needs less petty thinking and more long term planning and compassion.

m21eagle45 06-10-2019 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flybye (Post 587047)
So this game would replace the game against Findlay...and raise money for the Recovery from the tornado.In the past two years LSU played Louisiana Tech, Liberty played Va Tech and several other games have be played to help support the relief effort. As a season ticket holder I would rather have the money for a scrimmage go towards the relief effort and actually watch a D 1 team play. The coaches who have participated in games of this type of game preferred it Over playing a D2 or D3 team. It would fun and great for The city!

No, it would be in addition to the Findlay game.

flybye 06-10-2019 08:45 PM

Good point, if granted the waiver the schools can play two actual games or play the secret scrimmage and the one open game. They can opt to play the closed the game . Give credit to Wright state, they have had 4 straight seasons with 20 wins and in the last two years have gone to the NCAA and Nit. There 3 leading scorers are back. I believe when we see our OCC schedule they may be as good a team as we will face at home. The way things are getting tough to schedule for UD this can help the community. Give us a great test before Maui and the new players a good feel for a great atmosphere. The Presidents should make this happen.

Lifelong Flyer Fan 06-10-2019 09:17 PM

I am against a regular season game, but would definitely support a charity game for tornado relief. i would want the game at the Arena though.(And I am not sure WSU would come without a guaranteed return) If the first game in the finished arena was to benefit the Greater Dayton area, I believe it would garner national attention.
Can't imagine they wouldn't be granted a waiver.

Flyer69ers 06-10-2019 10:02 PM

Disaster relief game

We just drove thru there on our way down to our Reunion weekend.

The devastation is unbelievable. If UD can help in any way - I think a B’ball game is a great fundraiser idea - we should consider it.

Lots of opportunity to raise funds in addition to the actual game. These people need serious help . . . Lead, learn, serve.

swish61 06-11-2019 07:43 AM

My workplace has been heavily damaged, and disrupted, in one of these tornadoes. I completely support this idea.

priceg75 06-11-2019 07:50 AM

The first time I have read about renewing this series and it didn't make me roll my eyes. Well done.

CE80 06-11-2019 08:21 AM

Viperstick 06-11-2019 11:33 AM

The swallows are returning to Capistrano....

NorthwestFlyer 06-11-2019 01:03 PM

I second the idea.

longtimefan 06-11-2019 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by priceg75 (Post 587069)
The first time I have read about renewing this series and it didn't make me roll my eyes. Well done.

Actually, this would be an exhibition game. That is why we would need a waiver. D-I teams can't play other D-I teams in exhibition games (other than the "secret" scrimmages).

jack72 06-11-2019 07:26 PM

No one is addressing the finances of this game. I assume that the DII exhibition games have drawn 12-13,000 paid attendees. If UD plays Wright, only 1,000 more attend. So where does the money come from for the tornado relief? Certainly UD does not just hand over the entire gate. 1,000 extra fans x $20 = $20,000.

Lifelong Flyer Fan 06-11-2019 08:28 PM

I would think it would be an extra exhibition and everyone would pay additional for the game (not included in season ticket games)and the entire gate would go to the relief effort.

ClaytonFlyerFan 06-11-2019 08:32 PM

As we debate the game that will probably never happen, you all have 24 hours to get your Reds 50/50 tickets online to benefit victims.

https://700wlw.iheart.com/content/20...rnado-victims/

EDIT- Anyone else try this and were you successful? I keep getting error message that I must allow my browser to share my location, and well, I think I have done it correctly and still get the same message!

UDGutter2 06-12-2019 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClaytonFlyerFan (Post 587111)
As we debate the game that will probably never happen, you all have 24 hours to get your Reds 50/50 tickets online to benefit victims.

https://700wlw.iheart.com/content/20...rnado-victims/

EDIT- Anyone else try this and were you successful? I keep getting error message that I must allow my browser to share my location, and well, I think I have done it correctly and still get the same message!

Had the same problem, but it worked on my wife's phone. I figured it out. On my phone (Galaxy S9) I clicked on the 3 dots in upper right. Clicked on settings, the site settings. Went to location where it listed how many sites were blocked. Clicked on blocked sites and Reds50/50 was one of them clicked on it and then allow, now it works. Cannot believe I figured this out on my own.:D:D