UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
UDPride Discussion Forums

UDPride Discussion Forums (http://www.udpride.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mens Basketball (http://www.udpride.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Chris Wright signs with Thunder (http://www.udpride.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29600)

Bucketnight 08-10-2016 02:41 PM

Chris Wright signs with Thunder

San Diego Flyer 08-10-2016 03:25 PM

You can be third string and still make a pile of $$ in the NBA. Chris and Brian Roberts both are in the desirable spot where they are solid backup players and "relatively" inexpensive. Which allows the club to pay the stars a ton of money and still fill the roster. Maybe CJ is in the same boat.

Wishing the best for all of them.

Runnin' Rebel 08-10-2016 04:10 PM

Would be incredible seeing 3 former Flyers in the NBA at the same time... I'm guessing that hasn't happened since the 50's.

MrFlyerFanatic 08-10-2016 04:16 PM

Hope for the best for Chris, but I'm not going to get too worked up until he's on the opening day roster.
Hopefully he will get some solid minutes in the preseason and perform well enough to make an impression.
Not his first rodeo. This time he has a few more years of experience and a resume to build on.

Flyer 79 08-10-2016 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runnin' Rebel (Post 461846)
Would be incredible seeing 3 former Flyers in the NBA at the same time... I'm guessing that hasn't happened since the 50's.

Three in NBA at same time? How about Jim Paxson, Johnny Davis and Sedric Toney in mid 80s?

BRob2Perryman3 08-10-2016 06:55 PM

After the last few weeks i thought i had a million reasons to root for the Thunder and Russell Westbrook. Now i have a million and one. Great to hear this, hope he finds a spot in the rotation

rollo 08-10-2016 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runnin' Rebel (Post 461846)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyer 79 (Post 461861)
Three in NBA at same time? How about Jim Paxson, Johnny Davis and Sedric Toney in mid 80s?

How about Spring 2014 with Wright, Johnson and Roberts.

How soon we forget.

BeckysTXA 08-10-2016 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRob2Perryman3 (Post 461864)
After the last few weeks i thought i had a million reasons to root for the Thunder and Russell Westbrook. Now i have a million and one. Great to hear this, hope he finds a spot in the rotation

Dayton alum Anthony Grant is an assistant coach for the Thunder. Should help some.

C-time 08-10-2016 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrFlyerFanatic (Post 461847)
Hope for the best for Chris, but I'm not going to get too worked up until he's on the opening day roster.
Hopefully he will get some solid minutes in the preseason and perform well enough to make an impression.
Not his first rodeo. This time he has a few more years of experience and a resume to build on.

The most important thing is that if the reports are correct that the contract is partially guaranteed then Chris will be fine even if he gets cut. I truly never see him being more than an end of the bench guy, but if he can get paid to sit on the bench in the NBA that's a pretty good deal.

My guess is that the Thunder had to guarantee him some money otherwise he was going sign to play overseas. It's just a matter of how much he actually got guaranteed compared to what some overseas team was going to pay him.

BRob2Perryman3 08-11-2016 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C-time (Post 461876)
The most important thing is that if the reports are correct that the contract is partially guaranteed then Chris will be fine even if he gets cut. I truly never see him being more than an end of the bench guy, but if he can get paid to sit on the bench in the NBA that's a pretty good deal.

My guess is that the Thunder had to guarantee him some money otherwise he was going sign to play overseas. It's just a matter of how much he actually got guaranteed compared to what some overseas team was going to pay him.

I would say Chris' disagrees, money is nice, but the dude wants to play. And he deserves a shot real shot in the NBA, i desperately pray for a fast break with he and Westbrook and there is only one Warrior defender back......and its Durant

Justin 08-11-2016 08:33 AM

Best news I've heard all week.

Justin 08-11-2016 08:36 AM

So, kind of off subject. I have a Bucky rookie basketball card, Sedric, Jim and Brob. I am patiently waiting for the powers that be to issue a CJ card, seeing as he started and played quiet a bit. I wonder what it takes to be immortalized on cardboard?

C-time 08-11-2016 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRob2Perryman3 (Post 461892)
I would say Chris' disagrees, money is nice, but the dude wants to play. And he deserves a shot real shot in the NBA, i desperately pray for a fast break with he and Westbrook and there is only one Warrior defender back......and its Durant

I agree that he deserves a shot, but he needs to make sure he's not losing a significant amount of money in the process. You say that "money is nice" but it is much better if you can make it while playing a game and then have it saved while you figure out what you want to do after basketball is over. That is why I'm sure he negotiated to get part of the contract guaranteed in case he were to get cut, because at that point it would be more difficult to find a team overseas to pay him the same money as he would get if he signed with them now.

I hope he can make it in the NBA. I'm sure his goals and his pride tells him that he can play in the NBA. But if he isn't successful at some point he needs to accept it and make as much money as he can playing overseas for as long as he can.

Widget 08-11-2016 03:42 PM

I never understood why a lot of teams don't have someone like CW at the end of the bench. You'll get someone high energy at practice but also during the game; someone who places team above self. I remember watching the Miami Heat, and they had Juwan Howard at the end of their bench who was 40 years old. I'd take CW over a player past his prime any day of the week.

Buster Goode 08-11-2016 09:23 PM

An August signing is about as good as a verbal from a sophomore in high school. I really hope he makes it.

Gazoo 08-12-2016 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Widget (Post 461943)
I never understood why a lot of teams don't have someone like CW at the end of the bench. You'll get someone high energy at practice but also during the game; someone who places team above self. I remember watching the Miami Heat, and they had Juwan Howard at the end of their bench who was 40 years old. I'd take CW over a player past his prime any day of the week.

I agree with that. There are nights where a 5 -10 minute CW explosion is better than a big tirade by the coach / getting T'd up. If you're in need of some energy and you're on the way toward losing anyway, send him out there to try to give you something. He can spark a team. And if he instead dribbles it off his foot well that was the direction the team was going anyway.

Juwan Howard will not spark anything that's not at the end of a glass tube.

longtimefan67 08-17-2016 12:48 PM

Don't ask how i found this: https://youtu.be/5owyp_MKLmY
Posted via Mobile Device

CE80 08-17-2016 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longtimefan67 (Post 462226)
Posted via Mobile Device

I never would have thought about asking but now I want to know.

longtimefan67 08-17-2016 01:37 PM

[QUOTE=CE80;462231]I never would have thought about asking but now I want to know.[/QUOTE

It was at the bottom of an obscure snippet describing CW's latest contract- i almost didn't see it. And i look for highlight stuff on Chris all the time as it brings me back to his glory days at UD. He's still got it. I think OK Thunder fans are in for a pleasant surprise if he's on the roster.
Posted via Mobile Device

CE80 08-17-2016 01:52 PM

[QUOTE=longtimefan67;462234]
Quote:

Originally Posted by CE80 (Post 462231)
I never would have thought about asking but now I want to know.[/QUOTE

It was at the bottom of an obscure snippet describing CW's latest contract- i almost didn't see it. And i look for highlight stuff on Chris all the time as it brings me back to his glory days at UD. He's still got it. I think OK Thunder fans are in for a pleasant surprise if he's on the roster.
Posted via Mobile Device

Oh. I was hoping for something juicier. You should have had Ryan Lochte provide the explanation.

UD1998 08-17-2016 04:29 PM

Quote:

Posted via Mobile Device

At least you can tell he's been working on his outside shot :p

flyer016 08-17-2016 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UD1998 (Post 462244)

He's recognized his limitations and embraced his skillset.

And, goodness gracious, he's so big and explosive. I'm not sure you could craft a better finisher in Victor Frankenstein's lab.

Flyer 86 08-18-2016 12:52 PM

With Durant gone, their whole offense needs to be recalibrated. This is a great, great opportunity for Chris.

Seriously great news for a Great guy and potentially solid player!

Flyer 86 08-18-2016 12:57 PM

Plus from what i know and from just looking at their roster, they are heavy on Center types (Enes Kantner, Adams, Mcgarry , Nick Collison). Decent on guards - Westbrook and Roberson. Oladipo.

The small forward position looks weak to me. Very weak! and the guys they do have in that category aren't jumpers. Kyle Singler? Huestis i don't know about the jumping but he certainly hasn't played much.

This is a solid and smart pickup by them!

Buckleyma 08-18-2016 02:45 PM

Quote:

Yes, one jump shot on the entire video by my count.
Posted via Mobile Device

Gazoo 08-19-2016 08:08 AM

Quote:

Posted via Mobile Device

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckleyma (Post 462297)
Yes, one jump shot on the entire video by my count.
Posted via Mobile Device

In 2:16 of highlights I counted 3 shots that were not dunks. But, to be fair, an 18 foot jumper is not typically on a "highlight reel".

If I was his agent I would make sure there's a 5:00 clip out there somewhere of him doing nothing but playing defense and making jumpers / FT's.

m21eagle45 08-19-2016 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoo (Post 462327)
In 2:16 of highlights I counted 3 shots that were not dunks. But, to be fair, an 18 foot jumper is not typically on a "highlight reel".

If I was his agent I would make sure there's a 5:00 clip out there somewhere of him doing nothing but playing defense and making jumpers / FT's.

Do you want him playing in Europe forever?

Flyer69ers 08-22-2016 08:10 PM

Just one more link - but a hopeful one:

http://thunderousintentions.com/2016...small-forward/

rollo 08-23-2016 06:59 AM

In the past 40 years I don't think I've ever wanted to see a Flyer make it to the NBA as much as I do for Chris Wright. There is just something about him, his mom and being a local kid that keeps me hoping someone gives him a full season of opportunity.

Flyer68 08-23-2016 04:51 PM

"athletic freak" = that's a good thing right? Rollo: That is the way I have always felt. Could not have said it better myself - and I didn't.

chicago92 08-24-2016 09:33 AM

Remember that former Flyers assistant coach, Billy Schmidt is on Donovan's staff @ OKC.
Posted via Mobile Device

Swampy Meadows 08-24-2016 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chicago92 (Post 462732)
Remember that former Flyers assistant coach, Billy Schmidt is on Donovan's staff @ OKC.
Posted via Mobile Device

As is Anthony Grant.

chicago92 08-24-2016 09:34 PM

Billy Schmidt has likely known Chris since he was in HS, so maybe that 10+ year relationship could pay off for CW.

C-time 08-25-2016 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chicago92 (Post 462732)
Posted via Mobile Device

Quote:

Originally Posted by chicago92 (Post 462816)
Billy Schmidt has likely known Chris since he was in HS, so maybe that 10+ year relationship could pay off for CW.

Maybe Billy can explain why nobody at UD bothered to try to teach CW a jump shot for 4 years.

UDBrian 08-25-2016 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C-time (Post 462824)
Maybe Billy can explain why nobody at UD bothered to try to teach CW a jump shot for 4 years.

I don't know if they didn't try or Chris wasn't really receptive to the amount of work it would require. I would have tried to get him to a shooting camp where he could learn perfect mechanics but he would have needed to get a loan to do this I would guess. But, it would have required him to spend hours a day shooting by himself instead of playing.

Danny Ainge of the celtics said that most players become better shooters after they turn pro because they have so much time to practice

Justin 08-25-2016 09:48 AM

Westbrook to Wright Flight for the slamma jamma! I can't wait.

FlyingArrow 08-25-2016 06:56 PM

We were so spoiled. His athleticism is not just NBA-level but elite even for an NBA player.

longtimefan67 08-26-2016 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingArrow (Post 462895)
We were so spoiled. His athleticism is not just NBA-level but elite even for an NBA player.

I think his defense will also open up some eyes. Agree with others sentiment on this thread. I know C has been waiting for the right NBA opportunity and I hope this is it because I don't think he had a fair shot first few times around. Really like to see him stick here and become a fan favorite because I really believe the best of his playing days are ahead of him. Really rooting for him.

udstevied_D87 08-26-2016 03:02 PM

since this about a former UD player, here's an article from today's DNN about some more overseas:
http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/...playing/nsMQp/

CE80 08-26-2016 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by udstevied_D87 (Post 462959)
since this about a former UD player, here's an article from today's DNN about some more overseas:
http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/...playing/nsMQp/

Adonte Joshua Parker. Adonte?

UD93 Steve 08-26-2016 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UDBrian (Post 462827)
I don't know if they didn't try or Chris wasn't really receptive to the amount of work it would require. I would have tried to get him to a shooting camp where he could learn perfect mechanics but he would have needed to get a loan to do this I would guess. But, it would have required him to spend hours a day shooting by himself instead of playing.

Danny Ainge of the celtics said that most players become better shooters after they turn pro because they have so much time to practice

I never thought Chris had terrible shooting mechanics. I just don't think he has the touch. Kind of like in golf how some guys can crush a drive, but can never get the short game to the next level, no matter how much they practice.

There are some body/brain characteristics that have to be there to be a good shooter.

He has so much "spring" in his body, that I think he has a hard time controlling the flight of the ball.

CE80 08-26-2016 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UD93 Steve (Post 462964)
I never thought Chris had terrible shooting mechanics. I just don't think he has the touch. Kind of like in golf how some guys can crush a drive, but can never get the short game to the next level, no matter how much they practice.

There are some body/brain characteristics that have to be there to be a good shooter.

He has so much "spring" in his body, that I think he has a hard time controlling the flight of the ball.

Shooting yips.

C-time 08-26-2016 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CE80 (Post 462969)
Shooting yips.

You have to be able to shoot(putt) in the first place to even be able to get the yips.

rollo 10-21-2016 11:26 AM

The NBA pre-season ends today...rosters must be submitted Monday and the season begins on Tuesday.

Chris has played in only 1 game (for 2 minutes) this pre-season so the odds of him making the Thunder appear slim. Which sucks.

Stay tuned.

C-time 10-21-2016 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rollo (Post 468024)
The NBA pre-season ends today...rosters must be submitted Monday and the season begins on Tuesday.

Chris has played in only 1 game (for 2 minutes) this pre-season so the odds of him making the Thunder appear slim. Which sucks.

Stay tuned.

At least he won't have to go to another city in all likelihood. OKC will probably just stick him on the OKC Blue(their D-league team). Hopefully his guaranteed contract was drawn up in a manner that he'll still be getting last guy on an NBA bench money instead of D-league money. If not it would be a poor job by his agent and a bad decision on CW's part to not play overseas.

oRed 10-21-2016 04:02 PM

Chris hopes to make the big club's roster before Jan 1st...at this point there is no plans for Europe.

C-time 10-21-2016 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oRed (Post 468075)
Chris hopes to make the big club's roster before Jan 1st...at this point there is no plans for Europe.

Just a few quick questions because it seems you have some insight on this topic.

Is he going to get D-league or NBA(or equivalent to what he would have gotten overseas)money this year?

Does he plan to go back to Europe in future years if it doesn't work out in the NBA this year?

I just hope he gets paid either way because it has to be much better to get paid to play basketball than most peoples jobs.

oRed 10-21-2016 05:52 PM

This is the easiest way to describe it...Chris is focused on making OKC roster. Other than that is all speculation because it's a business and things change quickly. He played in Israel last year, had a good year and could've returned or entertained offers elsewhere but again safe to say he's currently focused on OKC. As to what he makes??? Sorry but I wouldn't ask you or and I sure wouldn't ask him what he earns. Best thing to do...keep him in your prayers...as we all got to know during his UD days...he's a very determined and focused man and it would be great if things would break his way. Personally I think OKC is a great opportunity for him because OKC's owner is known to value hard working quality individuals.

C-time 10-21-2016 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oRed (Post 468081)
This is the easiest way to describe it...Chris is focused on making OKC roster. Other than that is all speculation because it's a business and things change quickly. He played in Israel last year, had a good year and could've returned or entertained offers elsewhere but again safe to say he's currently focused on OKC. As to what he makes??? Sorry but I wouldn't ask you or and I sure wouldn't ask him what he earns. Best thing to do...keep him in your prayers...as we all got to know during his UD days...he's a very determined and focused man and it would be great if things would break his way. Personally I think OKC is a great opportunity for him because OKC's owner is known to value hard working quality individuals.

I wasn't really asking for an actual salary number since most websites that follow NBA salaries say he is due to make 980,431 this year. I was just hoping to gain insight if that he was guaranteed that(or most of it) even if he got sent to the D-league, but I completely understand if you prefer not sharing that.

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/ok...r-team-salary/

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/oklahoma-...cash-earnings/

BRob2Perryman3 10-22-2016 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rollo (Post 468024)

Stay tuned.

Probably resting him for the Playoffs. Westbrook will need the help

Buckleyma 10-23-2016 09:51 PM

I just checked the Oklahoma City Thunder NBA roster. Chris Wright is definitely on the roster wearing number 23. I think this means that he made the cut.
Posted via Mobile Device

C-time 10-23-2016 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckleyma (Post 468210)
I just checked the Oklahoma City Thunder NBA roster. Chris Wright is definitely on the roster wearing number 23. I think this means that he made the cut.
Posted via Mobile Device

There are 19 players on that roster so they haven't made their cuts yet. They have to get down to 15 on the final roster by Monday afternoon(5pm??)

Buckleyma 10-23-2016 11:59 PM

C-time, you are correct. I did not count. There are 19 names on that list. I mistakenly thought the cut was over as other teams like the Mavericks have made their cuts already. Worry, worry....The bleacher report on 10/11 is predicting that Chris Wright will be let go. Worry, worry...But, Cameron Payne is hurt and will be out for six weeks. Also, Mitch McGary has a pending suspension for 15 days and he has been hurt in the pre-season and not playing. That information cuts it to 17 on that list. Deadline is Monday at 4pm and Saturday at 4pm is deadline to be assigned to the Oklahoma City Blue NBADL.
Posted via Mobile Device

Buckleyma 10-24-2016 08:55 AM

[QUOTE=Buckleyma;468213]C-time, you are correct. I did not count. There are 19 names on that list. I mistakenly thought the cut was over as other teams like the Mavericks have made their cuts already. Worry, worry....The bleacher report on 10/11 is predicting that Chris Wright will be let go. Worry, worry...But, Cameron Payne is hurt and will be out for six weeks. Also, Mitch McGary has a pending suspension for 15 days and he has been hurt in the pre-season and not playing. That information cuts it to 17 on that list. Deadline is Monday at 4pm and Saturday at 4pm is deadline to be assigned to the Oklahoma City Blue NBADL.

Chris Wright update: Now I read that Alex Abrines has a hip injury and will not be available for the opening game. Maybe down to 16? I still see no announcement for the deadline of today?
Posted via Mobile Device

Widget 10-24-2016 02:54 PM

Not to be bearer of bad news, but Chris was waived per OKC's twitter account.

https://twitter.com/okcthunder?ref_s...Ctwgr%5Eauthor

C-time 10-24-2016 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Widget (Post 468290)
Not to be bearer of bad news, but Chris was waived per OKC's twitter account.

https://twitter.com/okcthunder?ref_s...Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Don't worry you're not the bearer of bad news. You're just the person who made the first post of the official information of what everyone has known for a couple weeks.

Buckleyma 10-24-2016 04:03 PM

Yes, if i am reading the stats correctly, Chris Wright only played 2 minutes during the exhibition period for Oklahoma City Thunder. OKC signed him to a non-guaranteed contract and then only used him as a practice player
Posted via Mobile Device

Gilchrist's Autograph 2 11-22-2016 02:25 PM

Starting for OKC D League team
Posted via Mobile Device

priceg75 04-20-2017 04:05 PM

The Fly 04-20-2017 05:33 PM

It's impossibe not to root for Chris Wright. He's served lemons and makes lemonade. He's never said a bad word about UD or Brian Gregory or his hometown. He wears faith on his shirtsleeve and gives back to the community and those he cares about -- and there are many. His game has shortcomings, and I've often wondered if going into the draft after his junior year might have been the better strategy, coming off of a successful season and a great performance against WVU in the NCAA tourney (though Kansas was a different story). And he was dealt a tough blow with the ankle break his freshman season. But he continually perseveres even when he meets obstacles. NBA glory or not, he's a champion. He may not have sustained his dream, but he reached it.

T-Bone 84 04-20-2017 08:25 PM

Chris Wright, regardless of what he has or has not been able to achieve in the years since he graduated, is among my Top 10 all-time Flyers, simply for his character and his loyalty to home. He is the embodiment of a University of Dayton Flyer, and I'm proud to say he's one of us, and one of ours.

God bless you, Chris Wright. Thank you for being A Flyer! :clap: :yay: :clap:
Posted via Mobile Device

MrFlyerFanatic 05-10-2017 04:29 PM

Since Sam Miller is out with an ankle break, is there any way to get Chris Wright to work him out in the same way that CW did when he broke his ankle?
I will never forget the moment that CW came off the bench at Illinois State in his first game back. When the warm-up came off, it was shocking to see the change in upper body conditioning compared to pre-injury. Ripped.
He needs to do the same to Sam.